Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What He↑↑↑↑ said.

Exactly, what I said. READ...........

I am still waiting to be called for final processing, hopefully for the July 29 class.

I should have been in the June 24 class; instead, I was put on medical hold. I cleared hold on June 18 (too late for the June class.)

I was then told to have my name "restored to the eligible list" by DCAS. So that same day, I went down to Centre St. and did so.

TA said I should hear something in about two weeks. Tomorrow will be two weeks since I cleared hold.

I have checked my list status with DCAS for the past two weeks, and I get the same (conflicting) message. At first, the automated system (212-669-1357) says "You are on the list for this exam". When I select the option for more information, it then says "Your name has been removed from the list". WTF? I have called DCAS several times for an explanation, and I get differing responses: a) The TA hasn't requested the list for an upcoming class yet, or b) the TA hasn't informed DCAS that I've cleared my hold, or c) maybe your restoration request hasn't been processed by DCAS. This is nerve-wracking.

Upon completing my restoration request at Centre St, on June 18, I faxed a letter to 180 Livingston (attn: Shivers) that included a scan of the restoration "receipt". I received no response to that fax.

For the week of June 24-28, it appeared as if Ms. Shivers was on vacation.

I sent her an e-mail yesterday, and left a voicemail today, inquiring about my status. In all, I have followed every step dictated to me by both the TA, and DCAS. It just seems that communication is sporadic, information is released in drips, and coordination between departments is minimal.

I am very eager to get called for processing, and I don't want to be left behind!

List # range: 925-975

DT: 5/2/13

1st Medical: 5/16/13

Cleared hold: 6/18/13

Trying to be patient!

Hang in there bud. Just stay on top of it and you should be fine.

Yes indeed that left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing syndrome is the experience that the majority of us have dealt with or will at some point. I know i've gone through my share of it over the years which is why I stay very proactive and don't only wait around for letters and calls. I call and write frequently and i also do pop up checks/ inquiries when I can.

Edited by Syrenity

For the sake of context (and I'll admit, curiosity), what are your respective relationships to the TA? Current/former employees, candidates, etc? If you currently work for the TA, what is your title, and how much time with the agency? Dan, trainman, Syrenity, thanks for your input.

Me personally I was hired as a bus operator a few short year's ago I resigned because I did not qualify during training to take the dmv road test. Going in a few hours to take my DT in hopes of being hired once again for at least one of the 2 bus operator lists that i'm on (TA & MTA Bus). I'm also on lists for 5 other MTA positions as well but, that's a whole other story.

In terms of you staying in constant contact with staff your doing the right things just continue to be consistent and most of all pray for extra patience as we all sure need it dealing with this process.

Edited by Syrenity

So no real answer for the July class yet or will it be postponed? I took my DT 5/13 and still waiting on the call. Getting through to TA is not that easy but staying positive. Would love to start ASAP just like everyone else here. Thanks for all the advice and pointers you guys that are in already have posted here. I appreciate all the help.

So no real answer for the July class yet or will it be postponed? I took my DT 5/13 and still waiting on the call. Getting through to TA is not that easy but staying positive. Would love to start ASAP just like everyone else here. Thanks for all the advice and pointers you guys that are in already have posted here. I appreciate all the help.

You didn't get a letter to come back sometime in July? I wrote there preparing for a Aug Sept class. No July class

wait a second here....there supposed to be a july 29th class...what happened to that one??? 

dagenius69 is right it's road days, but it's also to my understanding that it's 231 road days. Which takes approximately 1 year to get to from hire if working consistently without any extended time off-duty for any reason.

what's top pay? $$/hour base pay ??

Always answer NO on that computer. I'm a conductor waiting for my medical for train op.

I lol'ed at this answer. Even the TA doctor suggested that I shoulda answered "no". I didn't wanna get jammed up for omitting information that could conceivably be discovered (via DT). Benzodiazepine isn't included on the standard DOT 5-panel screen-- but it's absolutely possible to test for, if requested. So I answered honestly and all it got me was a medical hold. Oh well.

You didn't get a letter to come back sometime in July? I wrote there preparing for a Aug Sept class. No July class

This would explain the lack of urgency, if you will, on behalf of 180's HR people. As I stated earlier, I've made phone, e-mail, fax, and postal contact with TA/DCAS since clearing my hold. They've not responded. They must not be in a hurry right now. But wait! Once they have a specific class to fill, they will call hundreds of men down on the same day and have us wait around for 9 hours. (I'm suggesting that they could just call us little by little, alleviating the burden on their resources-- and on our minds!)

wait a second here....there supposed to be a july 29th class...what happened to that one??? 

I spoke to a girl at 180 over the phone on Monday. She was clearly trying to get me off the line quick. But I managed to extract from her a July 29th class. Who is she? A clerk who just answers the phone? No idea. I know that it was NOT Ms. Shivers. So I don't put much stock in her answer. However, some other posters here have mentioned July 29. If July 29 is legit, then I think the TA is running behind schedule here. Got a holiday this week, surely many TSS going on vacation, etc. August/September seems more plausible. TA: JUST TELL US!

The pay for T/O was indicated in the first DT letter I received, WAY BACK in April. $30.03xxx per hour.

Top pay is 31.8725/hr as of the last contract. You start at yard rate which is 30.03 while you are in school car then if u come out of school car and go on the road you get a raise and make 31.2325/hr until you have 231 days of road service under your belt and you earn top pay. Hope that answers your question.

Top pay is 31.8725/hr as of the last contract. You start at yard rate which is 30.03 while you are in school car then if u come out of school car and go on the road you get a raise and make 31.2325/hr until you have 231 days of road service under your belt and you earn top pay. Hope that answers your question.

That's incredible. $66k base after approx. one year.

I currently make $10.00 an hour. This would be life-changing!

10 an hour? what the hell do you do?

Licensed Security Officer for a contract-company in NJ. Certified in First Aid, CPR, AED, use of force, handcuffing-- you name it. Ten bucks an hour. It's a three-year contract with no raises, no PTO, and meager healthcare.

I am VERY eager to get started with the TA...

Yeah I spoke about that annual number before. In my honest opinion. It's impossible for a new T/O to make less than $70K unless you are removed from service or restricted for an extended period of time.

also keep in mind days working in the yard don't count towards your total road days as well as days sitting on the board and not picking up a job.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah I spoke about that annual number before. In my honest opinion. It's impossible for a new T/O to make less than $70K unless you are removed from service or restricted for an extended period of time.

that's being modest. With the amount of time I've sat on board and then picked up a penalty job I'm sure it's going to be over 80k this year. Also keep in mind the night differential. When you first come out of school car you won't be on board very often. The crew office wants you working out there getting experience. Now it seems like I'm on board twice a week.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by dagenius69

Went this afternoon to 180 Livingston and was told that the last hired is still 1061 and that the July 29th class is still on schedule. I got home a couple of hours later and received the letter from them for the Pre interview and medical examination. So things are moving folks. Stay positive and things will come around. #1259

Went this afternoon to 180 Livingston and was told that the last hired is still 1061 and that the July 29th class is still on schedule. I got home a couple of hours later and received the letter from them for the Pre interview and medical examination. So things are moving folks. Stay positive and things will come around. #1259

did you take the drug test in May with that list #? because that's close to mine.

That's awesome man!

I got through to Barbara Shivers today. Turns out, TA never told DCAS I cleared medical hold (two weeks ago.) I have an appt. next week for final processing...finally! Confirmed that July 29th class is on, and that they will be contacting eligibles shortly. Hang tight-- things are starting to move again!

On a related note: My original DT was May 2nd. That should be valid for 90 days correct? I don't mind taking another one, but-- I'd like to leave 180 that day with employee pass in-hand. I'd prefer to not wait for the results of yet another DT.

That's awesome man!

I got through to Barbara Shivers today. Turns out, TA never told DCAS I cleared medical hold (two weeks ago.) I have an appt. next week for final processing...finally! Confirmed that July 29th class is on, and that they will be contacting eligibles shortly. Hang tight-- things are starting to move again!

On a related note: My original DT was May 2nd. That should be valid for 90 days correct? I don't mind taking another one, but-- I'd like to leave 180 that day with employee pass in-hand. I'd prefer to not wait for the results of yet another DT.

Yesterday when I was @ 180 they said it was valid 90 days.