Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Yes come to work knowing nothing, don't be a know it all a$$hole because your going to look and feel really stupid. My partner and I have had many students operating the train and only 2 have been dicks. Act polite to others and you will get the help & love.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm a long way off being that I dont start class till 8/26 but im curious about hiw the runs work. Like your driving for how long before you go on break? ie lunch etc etc. My friend and daughter asked and my only answer was honestly I have no clue. lol

Edited by CalvinSC

In any case it all depends on the job and each job is different. It also depends on what line you're working.

When you sign in you typically have 15 minutes from your reporting time until the time you're due to depart the terminal with your train. Typically when you go from one end of the line to the other you have about 20 minutes minimum before you are due to jump back on to make the next run back in the other direction completing your trip.

When you complete a trip on lines like the 2, 3, 4, 5 your lunch ranges from 30 minutes to 59 and are required to be at least a minimum of 20 minutes or you are entitled to a 30 minute bonus for no lunch.

However on these lines you actually get off the train after a run. On the 1 and 6 you don't. You get down to the south terminal and you wait for the lights to head back north. All of your breaks and lunches are at the north terminals.

This time it didn't. Believe me when I tell you,a multiple choice. He still works here to this day. I wouldn't make it up.

That is something you need not repeat...That gets around and School Car gets bumped up two notches and we'll be XX FOR 5 years. Keep that kind of info very private.

ditto on that. I know you're just trying to put some people's mind at ease but that is not something that should be on a public forum. Remember supervision is on this forum and they do read it. I know this for a fact.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's bad RDOs available they even asked me to work several times for late clears.
that's how it is for conductors in the A. Yesterday they had to abd 2 rush hour trips out of Van Cortland because they had no conductors.

It's bad in the A to for T/Os. CAS makes a round of calls every Sunday to fill in the open spots. A lot of stuff open all week long and even weekends. After T/Os finish a road job they are getting asked to cover a switching job for a late clear. Even yard switching T/Os are being asked to stay later to cover the open spot on a later shift. It's the wild west out here.

It's bad in the A to for T/Os. CAS makes a round of calls every Sunday to fill in the open spots. A lot of stuff open all week long and even weekends. After T/Os finish a road job they are getting asked to cover a switching job for a late clear. Even yard switching T/Os are being asked to stay later to cover the open spot on a later shift. It's the wild west out here.

A lot of the Yard Jobs are left open on the weekends due to the Students that cover those jobs during the week are off as I belive they dont work on weekends.  Its rediculous, I belive that is one the reasons that they are canning that whole 3 months in the yard stunt they pulled for this pick. Next pick should be a dfferent story.

yea I think the crew office just doesn't like me. I called every week for 2 months trying to get an rdo and I get nothing. Finally got one 2 weeks ago and last week. Seems like over the past few weeks jobs are starting to open up more.

yea I think the crew office just doesn't like me. I called every week for 2 months trying to get an rdo and I get nothing. Finally got one 2 weeks ago and last week. Seems like over the past few weeks jobs are starting to open up more. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The mid-week OT for RDOs are plentiful. The last few weeks have been insane but a lot of new T/Os are washing out so the CAS seems to be making their reliability list. Jump on it if you dare LOL. Once you work one RDO you'll get called weekly. Just be careful if and how you turn them down when the week comes that you don't want to work an RDO.

A lot of the Yard Jobs are left open on the weekends due to the Students that cover those jobs during the week are off as I belive they dont work on weekends.  Its rediculous, I belive that is one the reasons that they are canning that whole 3 months in the yard stunt they pulled for this pick. Next pick should be a dfferent story.

A lot of them are open during the week too. There aren't enough students to cover all yard jobs on all tours. That's where you get the YD asking T/Os to cover if they can.

If its costing them $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Watch them trash that idea quick!

Edited by RTOMan

LOL of course. They're paying more money in OT to have road T/Os cover part of an uncovered shift for a switching job. Hilarious!!!! You can snatch half a shift easy after finishing up whatever other job you completed.

LOL of course. They're paying more money in OT to have road T/Os cover part of an uncovered shift for a switching job. Hilarious!!!! You can snatch half a shift easy after finishing up whatever other job you completed.

Eaaaaaassssssyyyyyyyyyyy Money and its Killing them to pay it out.. Who ever thought of this Idea.. Well lets see how it turns out...

They haven't ended the yard posting yet. The T/O classes that started this week are doing the 3 months in the yard in the middle of training. They are still evaluating the usefulness of this.

Both A and B division?

The reason why I ask this is because if they don't stop the B division side of it now then it affects the entire pick process as the posting would be ongoing right through the start of the new pick for the B division class.

Both A and B division?

The reason why I ask this is because if they don't stop the B division side of it now then it affects the entire pick process as the posting would be ongoing right through the start of the new pick for the B division class.

I believe so. I'll know for certain on Monday. We get our schedules then, and I can ask one of the B div T/O's to see theirs

I'm currently doing 3 months in the yard. We do work weekends, my rdos are wed/thurs this week (yay I get to go to the jimmy eat world concert in central park on Wednesday!) . The "yard" consists of yard switching and station switching. We're just not allowed to operate with passengers yet

Edited by LexAveExp5

Hello ladies and gentleman, I just spoke to a TSS on Coney Island/Stillwell Av today. Apparently, there will be a another school car class on Sept 30 and in the next 2 weeks the MTA Employment Center will be pulling a bunch of names off the 8098 list again. UNOFFICIAL he said but this is the way it looks so far. They should be in the 1500's pretty soon then. :)