Proposal for South Bronx

tripleeye49

Hey folks:

Just a proposal:

Eliminate the Bx33 along E. 138th Street / W. 135th Street.

Replaced by Bx32 and Bx17

Bx17: Normal route to 149th Street, then southbound along Brook (northbound along St. Ann's) to E. 138th Street, then runs on 138 Street / 135 Streets til St. Nicholas Avenue & 135 Street, turns southbound on St. Nicholas to 125th Street, turns westward on 125th to 12th Avenue & 125th Streets.

Benefits:

Gives Harlem residents another option to get the South Bronx. Potentially helps to take the load off the Bx15.

Gives passengers along Crotona / Prospect Avenues a one seat access to places such as Harlem Hospital

Passengers who live along that corridor wouldn't have to run to 138 Street to catch the Bx33 (which does not run very frequently).

Together with Bx32 would double service between St. Ann's and 3rd Avenues.

Transfers with the following subway/commuter lines:

(1) - 125th Street / Broadway

(A)(:)(C)(D) - 125th / St. Nicholas

(:D© - 135th / St. Nicholas

(2)(3) - 135th Street / Lenox Avenue

(4)(5) - 138th Street / Grand Concourse

(6) - 3rd Avenue, Brook Avenue (along 138th Street), Cypress Avenue (Bx 32)

In addition to:

(6) - 149th Street / S. Blvd

(2)(5) - Prospect Avenue

(MTA) Harlem Line - Fordham Plaza

The following buses:

Bx15 - along 125 Street, on 138 Street between Willis and 3rd Avenues

M4 - Broadway

M104 - Broadway

M100, M101 - Amsterdam Avenue

M101, M102 - Lexington Avenue

M102, M7 - Lenox Avenue

M10 - 8th Avenue (Frederick Douglass)

M60 - Airport

M2 - 7th Avenue

M1 - 5th / Madison Avenues

Bx1 - Grand Concourse

Bx2 - 3rd / Melrose / Concourse

Bx21 - Boston Road

Bx32 - Morris Avenue / Port Morris

In addition to:

Bx19 - 149th Street

Bx4 - Westchester Ave

Bx6 - 163rd St / Hunts Point / 161 Street

Bx35 - 168th Street (GWB/Hunts Point)

Bx11 - Crotona Park

Bx40/Bx42 - E. Tremont

Bx36 - E. 180th Street

Bx9, Bx12, Bx22, Bx34, Bx41, Bx55 - Fordham Road

Bx32 would run on E. 138th Street, east of 3rd Avenue to the Port Morris terminal the Bx33 ran along.

Benefits:

More frequent service than Bx33

One seat ride from E. 138 Street towards Morris Avenue and Jerome Avenues (many Bx33 passengers switch towards the Bx32)

Together with Bx17 would double service between St. Ann's and 3rd Avenues, helpful when the 6 goes down.

Hey folks:

Just a proposal:

Eliminate the Bx33 along E. 138th Street / W. 135th Street.

Replaced by Bx32 and Bx17

Bx17: Normal route to 149th Street, then southbound along Brook (northbound along St. Ann's) to E. 138th Street, then runs on 138 Street / 135 Streets til St. Nicholas Avenue & 135 Street, turns southbound on St. Nicholas to 125th Street, turns westward on 125th to 12th Avenue & 125th Streets.

Benefits:

Gives Harlem residents another option to get the South Bronx. Potentially helps to take the load off the Bx15.

Gives passengers along Crotona / Prospect Avenues a one seat access to places such as Harlem Hospital

Passengers who live along that corridor wouldn't have to run to 138 Street to catch the Bx33 (which does not run very frequently).

Together with Bx32 would double service between St. Ann's and 3rd Avenues.

Transfers with the following subway/commuter lines:

(1) - 125th Street / Broadway

(A)(B)(C)(D) - 125th / St. Nicholas

(B)(C) - 135th / St. Nicholas

(2)(3) - 135th Street / Lenox Avenue

(4)(5) - 138th Street / Grand Concourse

(6) - 3rd Avenue, Brook Avenue (along 138th Street), Cypress Avenue (Bx 32)

In addition to:

(6) - 149th Street / S. Blvd

(2)(5) - Prospect Avenue

(MTA) Harlem Line - Fordham Plaza

The following buses:

Bx15 - along 125 Street, on 138 Street between Willis and 3rd Avenues

M4 - Broadway

M104 - Broadway

M100, M101 - Amsterdam Avenue

M101, M102 - Lexington Avenue

M102, M7 - Lenox Avenue

M10 - 8th Avenue (Frederick Douglass)

M60 - Airport

M2 - 7th Avenue

M1 - 5th / Madison Avenues

Bx1 - Grand Concourse

Bx2 - 3rd / Melrose / Concourse

Bx21 - Boston Road

Bx32 - Morris Avenue / Port Morris

In addition to:

Bx19 - 149th Street

Bx4 - Westchester Ave

Bx6 - 163rd St / Hunts Point / 161 Street

Bx35 - 168th Street (GWB/Hunts Point)

Bx11 - Crotona Park

Bx40/Bx42 - E. Tremont

Bx36 - E. 180th Street

Bx9, Bx12, Bx22, Bx34, Bx41, Bx55 - Fordham Road

Bx32 would run on E. 138th Street, east of 3rd Avenue to the Port Morris terminal the Bx33 ran along.

Benefits:

More frequent service than Bx33

One seat ride from E. 138 Street towards Morris Avenue and Jerome Avenues (many Bx33 passengers switch towards the Bx32)

Together with Bx17 would double service between St. Ann's and 3rd Avenues, helpful when the 6 goes down.

THAT'S ACTUALLY NOT A BAD IDEA. I was with up until you said Make a left on St Nick and 125 and head to 125 and 12ave.. I don't think the (MTA) would let that rock right there. 135 and st nick was reasonable but to extend it the is just too much IMO! And Bx15 runs on 138 st to manhattan as well. Just pick it up on 3rd ave!

But your on the Money with the Bx32...( that's one slow boring Route along with the Bx33)

Yeah the Bx32 is one of the most useless routes, it runs by the 4/D trains and the Bx1/2 buses most of it's route. Also it would be good for the Bx17 to extend, but that route is already extremely crowded.

I have debated running artics on the Bx17, but funny thing was when the Bx17 first started running along St. Ann's Avenue, they had a couple of them running along St. Ann's Avenue, and believe it or not it ran smoothly in both directions.

The only questions would be E. 138th Street and W. 135th Streets.

I have debated running artics on the Bx17, but funny thing was when the Bx17 first started running along St. Ann's Avenue, they had a couple of them running along St. Ann's Avenue, and believe it or not it ran smoothly in both directions.

The only questions would be E. 138th Street and W. 135th Streets.

West Farms and Gun Hill sends artics to the empty ass Bx8 on AM Rush but not the Bx17 at ANY time at all? WTF! It really doesn't make sense.

The Bx17 is crowded enough, so an extension to Manhattan is only going to make it worse. My proposal would be to relieve crowding on the Bx19 by splitting it into two routes. One would go from 145th/Riverbank Park to the Simpson St. station in the Bronx, and the other would go from Hunts Point Ave. station on the (6) to Bedford Park Boulevard via Southern.

• 2 weeks later...
Trust me, when I thought of this proposal, I thought about the Bx17 bus being articulated. In fact, I believe both the Bx15 and Bx17 should be articulated.

I saw there's realy no need for the Bx15 to have artics. Only because from fordham plaza to 149st/3rd Ave, More People actually Take the Bx55 which is a Limited and an artic line. I noticed the Bx Really gets crowed @ 125 and Lex where the M101 (artic) turns right for those going into the Bronx and it gets light again around 149st... plus for those just going gown 125 there are 3 other options with the M60, M100, and M101, so there's really no need for artists on the Bx15 imo!!!! :eek:

The grand majority of Bx15 riders are from St. Nicholas Avenue in Manhattan to 169th Street in the Bronx. Yes there are some who switch to other routes at 149th Street, but most of the time the bus is still very much packed. Trust me, I lived in the Mott Haven (Bx15 / Bx17 / Bx33) area all but two years of my life.

In fact I believe that only articulated buses should serve a street as busy as 125th Street.

The grand majority of Bx15 riders are from St. Nicholas Avenue in Manhattan to 169th Street in the Bronx. Yes there are some who switch to other routes at 149th Street, but most of the time the bus is still very much packed. Trust me, I lived in the Mott Haven (Bx15 / Bx17 / Bx33) area all but two years of my life.

In fact I believe that only articulated buses should serve a street as busy as 125th Street.

Ok and I used to live in that 169 area and its a fact that the Bx55 is used more on 3av than the Bx15....

And to say that every Line on 125 should be ran on artics is wild!.. The M101 already have them, Sometimes the M100 have them and the M60 I don't see getting artics.... but to say that is like saying all routes on Main St in Flushing Need artics! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

huh?

within the bronx along 3rd av, riders are embarking on bx55's...

yes, bx15's are packed... but take note at the # of ppl. coming from manhattan & entering the bronx.... then compare that to the # of ppl. taking it w/i the bronx...

on 3rd, you'll observe that there are a higher # of ppl getting on 55's, than on 15's....

...and that statement abont only artics should serve 125th street.. c'mon...

- yes, the M101 has artics.. it is warranted...

- artics on the M60 wont work... good luck maneuvering 60' buses in LGA... 'specially over there gettin to the marine air terminal

- artics on the Bx15 isn't necessary... it's ridership isn't That high in the bronx (not to mention the bx55 parallels it up/down 3rd)... bad enough buses along the 15 tend to bunch anyway....

- artics on the M100 isn't necessary either (although there are some trips that artics are used on them)... the stretch along the route where it breaks away from the M101... is then later picked up by the bx7 (ridership on the bx7 >>> M100)... what the M100 needs is better service.... buses arrive too few & far between....

i won't bother w/ the M18, M35, & the M104, since they only operate along 125th for a block or two...

- artics on the M60 wont work... good luck maneuvering 60' buses in LGA... 'specially over there gettin to the marine air terminal
Actually, it would work. The new proposed route Bx50 was supposedly going to run artics. You can run artics to LGA just fine.

Actually, it would work. The new proposed route Bx50 was supposedly going to run artics. You can run artics to LGA just fine.

the regular 40 footers can barely make it inside marine air...I don't see how artics would...

even if it would/could, the terminal for the Q47 would have to be moved...

not a pretty sight when a Q47's laying-over, one of those hertz buses are waiting right behind it, and a (turning) M60 & a Q48 are trying to pass....

the regular 40 footers can barely make it inside marine air...I don't see how artics would...

even if it would/could, the terminal for the Q47 would have to be moved...

not a pretty sight when a Q47's laying-over, one of those hertz buses are waiting right behind it, and a (turning) M60 & a Q48 are trying to pass....

Artics turn better than 40 footers in 90% of situations. I agree they are not needed on all 125 St lines., yet sometimes they are needed on the M100 because that bus can get packed too.

I have always said the Bx17 & Bx33 should be one route nobody rider it to 132nd & walnut its such a short routes, It would make headways better and more people would use the Bx17 to get to Manhattan. i Would also Extend the Bx18 to Combined with the Bx13 Give Morris Heights and Tremont rider a one seat Ride in to Manhattan. Something that it needed by Making a Right on the GC to 163 the Another Right then current Bx13 it a 50/50 plan but could work.:P

• 5 weeks later...

I think that having the Bx17 extended into Manhattan would definitely give relief to the Bx15 passenger. People who live along Boston Road (Bx21), where it is close enough to Prospect / Crotona I could see taking that bus for a one seat ride from Harlem, instead of switching at E. 149th Street or E. 163rd Street.

Plus it is always crazy around E. 125th Street anyways. Passengers from Manhattan could always just go up E. 135 Street instead.

huh?

within the bronx along 3rd av, riders are embarking on bx55's...

yes, bx15's are packed... but take note at the # of ppl. coming from manhattan & entering the bronx.... then compare that to the # of ppl. taking it w/i the bronx...

on 3rd, you'll observe that there are a higher # of ppl getting on 55's, than on 15's....

...and that statement abont only artics should serve 125th street.. c'mon...

- yes, the M101 has artics.. it is warranted...

- artics on the Bx15 isn't necessary... it's ridership isn't That high in the bronx (not to mention the bx55 parallels it up/down 3rd)... bad enough buses along the 15 tend to bunch anyway....

- artics on the M100 isn't necessary either (although there are some trips that artics are used on them)... the stretch along the route where it breaks away from the M101... is then later picked up by the bx7 (ridership on the bx7 >>> M100)... what the M100 needs is better service.... buses arrive too few & far between....

i won't bother w/ the M18, M35, & the M104, since they only operate along 125th for a block or two...

Yes there are a higher number of people on the Bx55, because it is a limited stop bus, but having the Bx55 articulated and having people mostly ride that still does not say anything about having the Bx15 articulated. The Bx15 north of E. 169th Street isn't that high, south of E. 169th Street and into Harlem oh yes it is. The Bx15 on its own merit, on the nature of its own route should be articulated. It is nearly impossible to get a seat on the Bx15 in the middle of the day, now maybe in the evenings you could get away with running 40ft buses on that route, but during the day, it should run artics. In fact I often see artics on the M100 and here and there on the Bx15 and they run so much smoother.

Another reason to run artics only on a street like 125th Street: traffic flows much easier on streets that have those buses running on them. Cars will not try to cut in front of an artic like they would a 40ft. bus. I know many taxi and bus drivers who say this to me all the time.

And yes, artics make easier turns than 40ft buses.

i Would also Extend the Bx18 to Combined with the Bx13 Give Morris Heights and Tremont rider a one seat Ride in to Manhattan. Something that it needed by Making a Right on the GC to 163 the Another Right then current Bx13 it a 50/50 plan but could work.:P

Um..... no ofense, but that's stupid..... why go all of that for the 18 when they can just take the 11 to manhattan? And it would be a quicker ride!!!

That idea you had would never get approve! The MTA wouldn't even entertain that! It makes no since to go downtown turn west then head but uptown when you have the 11 that can cut across town in 15 minutes from 170/GC to manhattan! :eek:

Yes there are a higher number of people on the Bx55, because it is a limited stop bus, but having the Bx55 articulated and having people mostly ride that still does not say anything about having the Bx15 articulated. The Bx15 north of E. 169th Street isn't that high, south of E. 169th Street and into Harlem oh yes it is. The Bx15 on its own merit, on the nature of its own route should be articulated. It is nearly impossible to get a seat on the Bx15 in the middle of the day, now maybe in the evenings you could get away with running 40ft buses on that route, but during the day, it should run artics. In fact I often see artics on the M100 and here and there on the Bx15 and they run so much smoother.

Another reason to run artics only on a street like 125th Street: traffic flows much easier on streets that have those buses running on them. Cars will not try to cut in front of an artic like they would a 40ft. bus. I know many taxi and bus drivers who say this to me all the time.

And yes, artics make easier turns than 40ft buses.

The Bx15 gets crowded? :confused: I take this route from Manhattan to Fordham very often and 90% of the time I can easily find a seat (even in PM Rush, though I never took this route in AM rush). Also I can't tell you how many times I passed a Bx55 on the Bx15, because I guess the Artics and Limited stop attracts more riders while the 15 is pretty empty. I must say this route in the Bronx @ night is the best in the Bronx! Every 20 minutes throughout the night...

The Bx15 gets crowded? :confused: I take this route from Manhattan to Fordham very often and 90% of the time I can easily find a seat (even in PM Rush, though I never took this route in AM rush). Also I can't tell you how many times I passed a Bx55 on the Bx15, because I guess the Artics and Limited stop attracts more riders while the 15 is pretty empty. I must say this route in the Bronx @ night is the best in the Bronx! Every 20 minutes throughout the night...

Yeah... every 20 minute from fordham to 149. Every 60 minutes from frodham to manhattan

Well I have taken it in the A.M. Rush, and it is definitely justified. Also as I have stated before it is between E. 169th Street and Harlem where the Bx15 is the most crowded. North of there absolutely, it is not often crowded.

Remember the Bx55 used to run during the late night hours itself; when it was eliminated (during late night hours) they made Bx15 do the Bronx Shuttle runs (149 - Fordham) every 20 minutes. There are 4 buses that run during that time. 2 to Harlem and 2 that only run in the Bronx.

Anyways this is about the Bx17 more so than the Bx15 (see original post).

What I would love to see in the next 20 years in that neighborhood.

Bx17: Harlem - Fordham Plaza (135th Street, 138th Street, Brook / St. Ann's Avenue, 149th Street, Prospect Avenue, Crotona Avenue, Fordham Road)

Bx32: Kingsbridge - Port Morris (Hospital, Kingsbridge Road, Jerome, 176th St., Morris Avenue, E. 138th Street, Bruckner Blvd./E. 132nd Street or Walnut Avenue)

Now I would be stretching things with below:

Bx13: Washington Heights - Port Morris (Normal route, then E. 161 Street, Brook / St. Ann's Avenue, Bruckner Blvd./E.132nd Street.

Triboro RX trains (K) and (M) trains with stops at E. 143rd Street and St. Ann's Avenue / E. 149th Street. The (M) would run with the (N) to Gun Hill Road. The (K) would run to Yankee Stadium.

2nd Avenue service to Gun Hill Road via Third Avenue (N) train (I'd make the (Q) go to Astoria then), and eventually Co-Op City.

Well I have taken it in the A.M. Rush, and it is definitely justified. Also as I have stated before it is between E. 169th Street and Harlem where the Bx15 is the most crowded. North of there absolutely, it is not often crowded.

Remember the Bx55 used to run during the late night hours itself; when it was eliminated (during late night hours) they made Bx15 do the Bronx Shuttle runs (149 - Fordham) every 20 minutes. There are 4 buses that run during that time. 2 to Harlem and 2 that only run in the Bronx.

Anyways this is about the Bx17 more so than the Bx15 (see original post).

What I would love to see in the next 20 years in that neighborhood.

Bx17: Harlem - Fordham Plaza (135th Street, 138th Street, Brook / St. Ann's Avenue, 149th Street, Prospect Avenue, Crotona Avenue, Fordham Road)

Bx32: Kingsbridge - Port Morris (Hospital, Kingsbridge Road, Jerome, 176th St., Morris Avenue, E. 138th Street, Bruckner Blvd./E. 132nd Street or Walnut Avenue)

Now I would be stretching things with below:

Bx13: Washington Heights - Port Morris (Normal route, then E. 161 Street, Brook / St. Ann's Avenue, Bruckner Blvd./E.132nd Street.

Triboro RX trains (K) and (M) trains with stops at E. 143rd Street and St. Ann's Avenue / E. 149th Street. The (M) would run with the (N) to Gun Hill Road. The (K) would run to Yankee Stadium.

2nd Avenue service to Gun Hill Road via Third Avenue (N) train (I'd make the (Q) go to Astoria then), and eventually Co-Op City.

Those are some good ideas, but with the whole Bx13/17/StAnns thing, Do they really need 2 routes on St. Anns?

Can we just kill the Bx55 already and replace it with LTD service on the BX15. Split the Bx15 out of KB and WF and during rush hours have like every 3rd bus go to Gun Hill.

While on the topic changing Bx Routes: Do something to the BX9, LTD service, POP, something because it's painfully slow. LTD service on the BX3,10,19, 28 and 40. Bring back the old Bx24 starting at mosholu and fieldston run mosholu to 256 to riverdale, then follow the 10 to 231, then the 7 to 225, then the 9 to bailey, then bailey and sedgwick to fordham, then the 12 to fordham plaza. kill the BX20 (it doesn't do anything and the whole 246 terminal sucks). just my 2 cents

Archived