2011-'12 MLB hot stove and off season thread

Shortline Bus

Now that the world series has ended feel free guys to discuss hot stove/off season news leading to the start of the 2012 regular season next April. First big news. The Dodgers are now for sale. Troubled Owner Frank McCourt has agreed to sell the club and many analysts believe the selling price will be at least $1 Billion.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's just too much money. But thank god that nightmare is over. :wishful thinking: would be nice if someone buys them and moves them back to New York. Maybe move them to Citifield and send the Mets over to LA. :)

I'm happy Sabathia is staying and not opting out. Kudos to him. I don't care that people will say it is too long. With the rotation with as many "?" as this, CC is very much needed.

That's just too much money. But thank god that nightmare is over. :wishful thinking: would be nice if someone buys them and moves them back to New York. Maybe move them to Citifield and send the Mets over to LA. ;)

I'm happy Sabathia is staying and not opting out. Kudos to him. I don't care that people will say it is too long. With the rotation with as many "?" as this, CC is very much needed.

Concourse. Maybe it's a ploy to bring the price down but Mark Cuban has stated himself that $1 Billion is too high even for him. :)

Still what amazing is that if the Dodgers had also owned their own Cable TV Sports station i.e Yankees=Yes, Red Sox=NESN Mets=SNY, etc. they could have gotten as high as $1.5 Billion.

Keep in mind the $1 Billion also includes the property of Dodger Stadium as well. The Dodgers by themselves are worth about $500-$600 milion says Forbes.

I am too. Now Cashman has to find better pitching. I think the Yanks should go after Mark Buehrle. In my opinion, he's got potential to be a great Yankee.

I wonder who's gonna sign Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder and Jose Reyes

I say Pujols is going to stay in St. Louis. Prince may leave the Brewers and find a home with another team, although he may not want to leave Ryan Braun and the Brew Crew. I want Reyes to stay with the Mets. The SS market is thin, and I don't think any Mets SS prospect can replicate what Reyes did offensively.

Around the League:

1) The Los Angeles Dodgers signed OF/1B Juan Rivera with a $4 million, 1 year deal with an option for 2013 and a $500K buyout.

2) The Washington Nationals have finalized a deal with RHP Chien Ming-Wang. The deal is worth $4 million for 1 year.

3) Former OF/1B Matty Alou died today. Alou played for the Giants, Pirates, Cardinals, Athletics, Yankees and Padres in 15 seasons. He hit .307 with 1777 hits and 236 doubles. He's the first of the Alou brothers to pass away. He was brothers with OF/1B Felipe and OF Jesus, cousin with P Jose Sosa, and uncle to P Mel Rojas and OF Moises Alou.

I say Pujols is going to stay in St. Louis. Prince may leave the Brewers and find a home with another team, although he may not want to leave Ryan Braun and the Brew Crew. I want Reyes to stay with the Mets. The SS market is thin, and I don't think any Mets SS prospect can replicate what Reyes did offensively.

Around the League:

1) The Los Angeles Dodgers signed OF/1B Juan Rivera with a $4 million, 1 year deal with an option for 2013 and a $500K buyout.

2) The Washington Indians have finalized a deal with RHP Chien Ming-Wang. The deal is worth $4 million for 1 year.

3) Former OF/1B Matty Alou died today. Alou played for the Giants, Pirates, Cardinals, Athletics, Yankees and Padres in 15 seasons. He hit .307 with 1777 hits and 236 doubles. He's the first of the Alou brothers to pass away. He was brothers with OF/1B Felipe and OF Jesus, cousin with P Jose Sosa, and uncle to P Mel Rojas and OF Moises Alou.

You mean the Washington Nationals, right?

I do hope Wang gets the form that made him a 2-time 19-game winner. If not for that foot injury in Houston, I think he would've been the solid #2 guy behind CC in 2009 than being so terrible [probably was compensating for his foot that he changed his delivery and thus the shoulder problem] that he was left off the roster.

I dunno if he has anything left, but if he does well enough, I hope the Yankees take him back.

St. Louis Cardinal great Bob Forsch is dead.

Bob Forsch, author of two no-hitters, dies at 61

Third-winningest Cardinal, Reds coach, tossed Game 7 first pitch

By Cash Kruth / MLB.com | 11/04/11 12:54 PM ET

Bob Forsch, who threw two no-hitters and is the third-winningest pitcher in Cardinals history, died Thursday night after collapsing at his home near Tampa, Fla. He was 61.

Forsch's wife, Janice, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the former pitcher suffered an aneurysm in his upper chest.

Forsch was at Busch Stadium last Friday, throwing out the ceremonial first pitch prior to Game 7 of the World Series. The Cardinals beat the Texas Rangers, 6-2, to win their 11th World Series title.

"Having been with Bob just last week, we are all stunned by this news," Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said in offering condolences to Forsch's family. "The entire Cardinals organization extends its sincere condolences to Bob's wife, Janice, his two daughters, Amy and Kristin, and his countless friends."

Forsch spent 15 of his 16 Major League seasons with St. Louis from 1974-88, winning 163 games, and was a member of the Cardinals' 1982 World Series championship team, as well as part of their pennant-winning teams in 1985 and 1987.

He threw a complete-game shutout against the Atlanta Braves in the 1982 National League Championship Series, his first postseason appearance, and won twice during the 1987 postseason.

Forsch, one of 28 pitchers in Major League history to throw multiple no-hitters, and the only Cardinals pitcher to accomplish the feat, was a Minor League pitching coach for the Reds' Rookie League affiliate, the Billings Mustangs, the past three seasons.

Only Bob Gibson (251 from 1959-75) and Jesse Haines (210 from 1920-37) have won more games in a Cardinals uniform.

"We are deeply saddened by the sudden passing of Bob Forsch," DeWitt said. "Bob was one of the best pitchers in the history of our organization and a valued member of the Cardinals family."

The right-hander threw his first no-hitter against the Phillies on April 16, 1978, and his second one vs. the Expos on Sept. 26, 1983. His no-hitters, both at home, were the only ones thrown at Busch Stadium II.

His brother, Ken Forsch, who pitched for the Astros and Angels during a 16-year career, tossed a no-hitter for Houston against the Atlanta Braves on April 7, 1979, making Bob and Ken the only brothers to pitch a no-run, no-hit game in Major League history.

Hall of Famer Whitey Herzog, the Cardinals' manager from 1981-90, told The Associated Press that he was originally scheduled to throw out the first pitch prior to Game 7, but that he couldn't make it because of health reasons.

"I ... was still on medicine, so they decided Forschie would do it," Herzog said. "We've kept in touch throughout the years. ... It's a real shock.

"I was fortunate to have Bobby on my team. He never missed a turn, pitched 200 innings each year. He'd take the ball, and he was a great competitor."

Drafted by the Cardinals in the 26th round in 1968, Forsch made his Major League debut in July 1974 at the age of 24. In addition to his pitching, he was a good hitter, batting .213 with 12 homers in his career and winning Silver Slugger Awards in 1980 and 1987, becoming one of only seven pitchers in MLB history to win the award multiple times.

He finished his playing career in 1989 after parts of two seasons with the Astros.

I'm amazed that Stan the Man has lived longer than Forsch.

Interesting..

http://newyork.sbnation.com/new-york-yankees/2011/11/4/2538162/tim-lincecum-yankees-san-francisco-giants-trade-rumors-mlb-hot-stove

If Lincecum goes to teh Yanks, I would be happy to give them Two Killer Bs, Montero, Nunez and Nova. Romine's bat could be worked out in AAA, Gary Sanchez gets promoted to the Trenton Thunder AA, and the Yanks would get another ace to compliment CC. The Giants in turn get more money freed up and get more depth on the roster.

Also, I'd like to see a team like the Mets or Padres offer Kei Igawa a cheapo contract ($500,000K for 1 year?) Igawa is a fly ball pitcher, and Citi Field + Petco Park is a very hard place to hit a HR in. Also, the NL has inferior lineups compared to the AL, especially the AL East

For all the Phillies fans in the forums:

Thome, Phillies agree to one-year deal

By Todd Zolecki / MLB.com | 11/04/11 6:42 PM ET

PHILADELPHIA -- Jim Thome signified a rebirth of baseball in Philadelphia with his arrival in 2003.

He's coming back for possibly his final shot at a World Series championship.

Sources said Friday evening that the Phillies and Thome have agreed on a one-year contract, pending Thome passing a physical. Terms of the deal were unknown, although it seems likely to be a low-risk signing.

It is not a surprising move, but it is an interesting one. Both parties hoped to reunite during the 2011 season, but the Twins traded Thome to the Cleveland Indians in August. Thome has maintained a strong relationship with Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, who has been a big influence in his career from their time together in Cleveland. He also has fond memories of the Phillies, who traded him to the Chicago White Sox following the 2005 season to clear room for Ryan Howard.

Thome will provide a strong presence in the clubhouse and power off the bench from the left side of the plate, which the Phillies sorely lacked in 2011. But Thome also turned 41 in August and has played just 28 innings defensively since the Phillies traded him to the White Sox.

Thome has made just one appearance defensively since 2007 -- a token appearance at third base with the Indians this season -- playing exclusively as the designated hitter for the White Sox, Twins and Indians. Thome joined the Los Angeles Dodgers for the final month of the 2009 season, making 17 at-bats as a pinch-hitter.

There certainly are questions with an American League player joining a National League team: Can Manuel find Thome enough at-bats to keep him sharp? Can Thome play any first base at all while Howard misses time recovering from left Achilles surgery? Can Thome stay healthy? He has battled back problems over the years.

The Phillies must believe Thome can produce enough despite limited action. In recent seasons, Manuel used Matt Stairs, Mike Sweeney and Ross Gload almost exclusively as pinch-hitters, rarely playing them in the field.

Thome hit a combined .256 with 15 home runs, 50 RBIs, a .361 on-base percentage and a .477 slugging percentage with the Twins and Indians. He has hit 604 homers in his career, which ranks eighth on the all-time list.

Todd Zolecki is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

He's done defensively, but he can still provide a good bat.

Reyes as good as he is, is injury prone and expensive. Tying up that much money for one player concidering the other players they have under contract will likely keep them out of the Reyes race.

Clubs better make sure if they sign Reyes he stays healthy and does not become another Carl Crawford. Plus a major injury to Reyes is worse since he plays the crucial position at shortstop.

In the now traditional after season series of 'friendlys' lol in Asia, the North American Major League all stars sweep a set of games in Taiwan. Here a NY1 story link on how the NY Yankees are the most popular sports team in that country. Another proof baseball is becoming even more popular overseas than in the US.

http://www.ny1.com/content/sports/sports_news/150238/taiwanese-fans-greet-yankees-players-with-open-arms?ap=1&MP4

The Melkman is not the good bat the Giants need. The Royals GM was very smart in selling on Melky.

Right on. Moore did what he had to do and sold high on Melky. We all know the Royals can hit, I'm just wondering how Jonathan Sanchez is going to perform in the AL. Yeah he's got great stuff just doesn't know where it's going. Lefty version of A.J. Burnett? Maybe. He did threw a no hitter in 2009, but so did A.J. in 2001.

In other news, has anyone heard of Yoenis Cespedes? He's a Cuban defector who is now in the Dominican Republic. Many scouts say he might be the next big thing, but he's 26 and he possesses all 5 tools. Here's a video and check him out. The Yankees have already seen him working out, wonder if there's a contract offer waiting for him once he hits free agency.

In other news, has anyone heard of Yoenis Cespedes? He's a Cuban defector who is now in the Dominican Republic. Many scouts say he might be the next big thing, but he's 26 and he possesses all 5 tools. Here's a video and check him out. The Yankees have already seen him working out, wonder if there's a contract offer waiting for him once he hits free agency.

Man, that's just a fun video. The slow motion, the intro, the music.

In less, funny news:

Nats catcher Ramos kidnapped in Venezuela

By Bill Ladson and Jesse Sanchez / MLB.com | 11/10/11 12:00 AM EST

WASHINGTON -- Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos was kidnapped in Venezuela on Wednesday night, according to multiple reports from the player's home country.

The Nationals have not yet confirmed the reports.

Ramos, who was playing for Tigres de Aragua in Venezuela's Winter League, was taken from his home in Santa Ines by four armed gunmen on Wednesday evening, said Kathe Vilera, the Tigres' spokeswoman, through the team's Twitter account.

In 2011, Ramos played his first full big league season and became the everyday catcher, hitting .267 with 15 home runs (a Nationals record for a catcher) and 52 RBIs.

This whole thing with the Nats catcher being kidnapped is one of the biggest WTF moments I have seen in sports in quite some time...

Also, since dude is rich from playing in MLB he should have moved to the U.S, at least in this country if your money is right you can move a nice neighborhood with little to no riff raff like in that country.

With that being said, I hope this dude comes out of this okay, If the kidnappers put up a ransom, it would be awesome if players from the nats used their own money to free the guy.

Archived