2011-'12 MLB hot stove and off season thread

Shortline Bus

I can compare this as if Jeter left the Yanks.

I lost a lot of respect for Pujols today. The Yankees didn't give what Jeter wanted, but Jeter still took his deal to stay a Yankee. Pujols didn't get what he wanted, so he bolted to LA. I was always inclined to think that Pujols would accept a hometown discount while Fielder would bolt to the AL to become someone's DH or 1B. Maybe not.

I can't blame him. St Louis doesn't have the unlimited payroll the Yankees have. If St Louis had a fraction of the Yankees' payroll, then they probably could've kept him. I'd compare Pujols to ARod - players that left for teams that can afford them. So far Pujols seems like a classy guy [no controversies], so I still have respect for him.

Where are the Marlins gettin all this money all of a sudden ?

Totally agreed. This is nuts. I don't want to see them 2-3 years from now having a fire sale because they can't afford the team.

Surprised that no one posted about this yet.

Buehrle agrees to four-year deal with Marlins -- mlb.com

Also, it seems that the Fish will not be reeling in Pujols.

I still think Buehrle would've been a good fit for the Yankees, but I guess the Yankees thought otherwise...

Not bad, still need a SS. I just read Hanley Ramirez isn't too keen on switching positions

Yeah, heh, wouldn't surprise me if Boston was willing to trade some top prospects to get him back to plug that revolving door of an issue that is their SS position.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this is true but, is it true that the Marlins' offer to Pujols was 10 years worth 275 million? It's exactly A-Rod's contract minus the incentives but I believe that the reason Albert Pujols didn't jump on that contract was because it did not have a trade clause. The new contract Albert got with the Angels certainly does have it. Any thoughts?

I don't know if this is true but, is it true that the Marlins' offer to Pujols was 10 years worth 275 million? It's exactly A-Rod's contract minus the incentives but I believe that the reason Albert Pujols didn't jump on that contract was because it did not have a trade clause. The new contract Albert got with the Angels certainly does have it. Any thoughts?

according to ESPN, the unoffering of a trade clause was exactly the reason he turned down their offer....

I don't think that was the reason, and I'm starting to think it wasn't 275 million that he turned down from the marlins.... because reading & hearing around from different mediums, I've heard the marlins' final offer to him was:

- 10 yrs / 210 mil

- 9 yrs / 225 mil

- and this 10 yrs/275 million

People talk about soap opera's & the entertainment tonight's & what not.... but the amount of gossip that spreads throughout sports (thanks to twitter, facebook, etc), the general public has been subjected to reading an exponential amount of it !....

I don't know what to believe anymore, it's gotten so bad.....

Who the **** saw this one coming? Forget the Red Sox and Braves collapses. This is the biggest baseball story of the year. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Braun tests positive for elevated testosterone - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

It's a disappointment, but to me if this was Pujols, this would be a bigger scandal. As it stands the Braves/Red Sox collapses are still the biggest MLB stories of the year.

The new CBA (collective baragining agreement) has been approved and now according to both the Associate Press and ESPN, this new expanded playoff format will now allow teams in same division to play in all of the round from the 'play-in'(wild card)thru the LDS and LCS. After each round, seeding will be based on regular season record. It might be until as late as early January before we know if this new format occurs this season (2012) or more likely in 2013.

New in MLB labor deal -- more replay, longer All-Star break - ESPN

So in the LDS, here a possible scenrio in new MLB post season situation.

American League

East winner Yankees#1

Central Winner White Sox#2

West Winners Mariners#3

Wild Cards Red Sox, Rays

Then in the LDS, the Yankees play the Red Sox as #1 seed while the #2White sox play the #3 Mariners.

And lastly instant replay is also being expanded.

Some news around the league:

- The Phillies resigned SS Jimmy Rollins to a 3-year, $33 million deal with an option for a fourth year.

- The Padres sent RHP Mat Latos to the Reds for 1B/OF Yonder Alonso, RHP Edison Volquez, C Yasmani Grandal, and RHP Brad Boxberger.

- The Rockies signed OF/IF Michael Cuddyer for a 3 year, $31.5 million deal.

Are the yankees really considering starting Noesi over Hughes ???

Yeah, that could mean Hughes is still not 100%. Not a good sign. But then again it could be more of the babying crap since he had so few innings last year. I still think they should've gone for Buerle, but I do think keeping Garcia was a good safety net.

The Rangers won the bidding on RHP Yu Darvish.

Yeah, given how Dice-K and Igawa haven't lived up to their expectations, I think it was probably best to just pass on him and let someone else deal with Japanese pitchers. I didn't expect him to sign with the Yankees anyway.

- The Nationals acquired LHP Gio Gonzalez and RHP Robert Gilliam from the Athletics in exchange for RHP Brad Peacock, RHP A.J. Cole, LHP Tom Millone (who homered in his first major league at-bat, against the Mets), and C Derek Norris. Gonzalez, one of the bright, young pitchers of today, also leads the majors in walks.

- The Nationals also signed IF/OF Mark DeRosa to a 1-year deal.

- The Twins signed RHP Jason Marquis to a 1-year/$3 million deal.

- The Cubs are on the verge of trading LHP Sean Marshall to the Reds in exchange for LHP Travis Wood and two minor leaguers.

- The White Sox and LHP John Danks agreed to an extension, worth 5-years/$65 million.

• 2 weeks later...

- The Marlins have agreed to acquire RHP Carlos Zambrano, and they will pay $2.5 million of his 2012 salary. In exchange, the Cubs acquire RHP Chris Volstad, and they will pay the remaining $18 million of Zambrano's 2012 salary.

- The Rockies acquired minor leaguer C/1B/LF Chad Tracy from the Rangers, who get RHP Greg Reynolds.

- The Athletics signed OF Coco Crisp to a 2-year/$14 million deal, with a club option for 2014.

- The Dodgers signed RHP Mike MacDougal to a 1-year/$1 million deal, with a club option for 2013.

- The Marlins signed UT Greg Dobbs to a 2-year/$3 million deal.

- The Jays signed LHP Darren Oliver a 1-year/$4 million deal with a club option for 2013.

- The Mariners signed Japanese SS Munenori Kawasaki to a minor league deal.

- The Red signed Cincinatti native RHP Andrew Brackman to a major league deal. Brackmand was a former first-round pick for the Yankees.

- The Rays signed RHP Fernando Rodney to a 1-year/$1.75 million deal with an option for 2013.

- The Pirates signed RHP Jo-Jo Reyes to a minor league deal.

- The Mets have been quite, but they've signed minor leaguer UT Corey Wimberly and RHP Jeff Stevens. They've also resigned OF/2B Scott Hairston.

- The Marlins have agreed to acquire RHP Carlos Zambrano, and they will pay $2.5 million of his 2012 salary. In exchange, the Cubs acquire RHP Chris Volstad, and they will pay the remaining $18 million of Zambrano's 2012 salary.

Zambrano is the NL version of AJ Burnett. A talented pitcher that a 'head case." IMO i won't be shocked if he has a 'comeback player of the year' and wins as much as 15 games for the Fish in their new ballpark.

Well an era in Yankee history is about to end. "Core 4" Yankee star and the

arguably the 3rd best Catcher in team history(sorry Thurman Munson and Elston Howard fans)Jorge Posada says WFAN will announce his retirement in next week or so. Here link.

Source: New York Yankees' JorgePosada To Announce Retirement « CBS New York

Well an era in Yankee history is about to end. "Core 4" Yankee star and the arguably the 3rd best Catcher in team history(sorry Thurman Munson and Elston Howard fans)Jorge Posada says WFAN will announce his retirement in next week or so. Here link.

Source: New York Yankees' JorgePosada To Announce Retirement « CBS New York

Meanwhile the other big MLB news is that Bill Madden the National MLB editor for NY Daily News is reporting MLB Boss Bud Selig will sign a 2-year contract extension worth $40 Million($20 Million a year).

Selig by the end of the new contract in 2014, will be the 2nd longest serving MLB Chief executive in MLB History at 21 years behind only Judge Landis.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/bud-selig-contract-mlb-commissioner-expiring-expect-article-1.1002266

I will miss Posada but then again there was nothing he can do but retire. Had the Yankees gave him another contract, he would have just been a bench warmer like most of last season. We all know Posada would not have want to do that. In my opinion he was still a pretty good catcher for his age.

Congrats to Barry Larkin. The long time Red SS and 1995 NL Most Valuable player has been elected to the MLB Hall of Fame class of 2012.

Larkin joins the late great Cubs 3rdbaseman Ron Santo (elected by the Veteran Committee and Long Time MLB TV Commentator/Analyst Tim McCarver in Cooperstown(currently with Fox Sports) this July.

Larkin is the last selection before the controversial 2013 class that includes Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/01/reds-barry-larkin-elected-hall-of-fame/1

IMO why is Jack Morris and Gil Hodges not in the HOF yet?:mad::tdown: Maybe Alan Trammell and Craig Biggio as well.

Ok guys. Feel free to pick this list of guyswho played in last 35 years(starting no earlier than 1975) including those suspected of steriods or PED's not in the HOF? The players are random.

I like to only list these '4' guys as automatics locks that need no debate.

Perdo

Derek Jeter

Randy Johnson

Greg Maddux

Here the short list.

Jack Morris

John Smoltz

Barry Bonds

Curt Schilling

Alan Trammell

Lou Whitaker

Joe Carter

Sammy Sosa

Rafel Palemro

Roger Clemens

A-Rod

Craig Baggio

Tommy Maddox

Fred McGriff

Bernie Williams

Jodge Posada

Mike Pizzia

Tim Raines

Kirk Gibson

Dave Stewart

"Pudge" Rod

David Justice

Gary Shefeld

Albert Belle

Egar Martinez

David Wells

David Cone

Or add your own pick here.

Jesus Montero... Gone....

Traded to the Mariners for some kid named Pineda.

Yankees are gonna regret that....

On top of that, they have seven starting pitchers now, what with picking up Hiroki Kuroda...

Question is, are they going to dump anyone, and if so, who... and would there be any teams willing to take on that big contract of his...

Archived