2011-'12 MLB hot stove and off season thread

Shortline Bus

I don't see Tampa going away unless they were moved elsewhere to a city that appreciates them and can build them a new stadium or they are contracted. so long as Tampa remains, I don't see Toronto ever moving out of 4th place in the AL East.

And on the Red sux, I used to tolerate Bobby V, but all this trash talk is pissing me off. He needs to shut the hell up. Bringing up the Jeter Shovel play and the Arod -Veretk 2004 brawl are so pointless. Just a guy stuck in the past and should worry more about his own team's issues. I would laugh if Boston stumbles again. Dysfunctional team with a dysfunctional manager, priceless.

He's still bitter over the 2000 World Series if he's bringing stuff that happened 8-11 years ago.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guys it's offical. The expanded wild card playoffs which was planned for a start in the 2013 season, has been moved up to start this fall in the '12 season. Thank Bud Selig and his tv partners TBS/TNT and Fox for this one.

With this change all teams will now be seeded #5-#1 and in rare cases, as many as '3' teams from same division could make the post season.

Extra wild cards coming to MLB playoffs

I'd like to see the Mets compete at least for that Wild Card.

Don't think its gonna happen... not with the Marlins, Phillies and Braves, Giants, Cards Diamondbacks and some more teams that are contenders.

Also, the Mets didn't improve at all in the offseason. I can't really see them being any higher then 4th and I expect them to be in cellar of the NL East this year with the Washington Nationals improving year by year....

I kinda like it but not that much. All I'm going to say is that the Yankees better win the division so they can secure a spot in the playoffs. That being said, maybe Tampa Bay and Toronto/Angels/Red Sox can play a 163rd game.

Actually young man this is not considered a 'regular season game' but a 1-game 'winner take all' 1st round post season match.

MLB approves expanded playoff format for 2012 season - NY Daily News

I could live with this expanded playoff provided it's not extended again for a long while. With that said, i do wish MLB could reduce the regular season back to around 154-156 games so the world series could end by no later than Oct. 30.B)

No, this 1 game playoff thing is nonsense. What they should do is go back to the 2 divisions per league and have 2 WC spots. That rewards teams to have better records, which in a way is what this lame playoff set up is trying to address.

I don't care that the WC team should have it easy, but if the 2nd team is more than 6 games back, then there should be no 1 game playoff.

No, this 1 game playoff thing is nonsense. What they should do is go back to the 2 divisions per league and have 2 WC spots. That rewards teams to have better records, which in a way is what this lame playoff set up is trying to address.

I don't care that the WC team should have it easy, but if the 2nd team is more than 6 games back, then there should be no 1 game playoff.

MLB should have made removed the divisions and let the top four teams make the playoffs. 1st seed plays the 4th while 2nd plays the 3rd seed. Then again if that did happen, then there would be more interleague games. But that's my opinion, I think MLB should have done this next year.

Speaking of interleague, I like it and all but I hate seeing any pitcher being from the AL or NL get injured while hitting or baserunning. Players like Bartolo Colon (Red Sox), Chien-Ming Wang (Yankees), and Dustin Moseley (Padres) got injured either hitting or running. A.J. Burnett foul bunted a ball of his right eye and he'll be out for 8-12 weeks, there goes the Pirates Opening Day starter. Again why are pitchers hitting?

MLB should have made removed the divisions and let the top four teams make the playoffs. 1st seed plays the 4th while 2nd plays the 3rd seed. Then again if that did happen, then there would be more interleague games. But that's my opinion, I think MLB should have done this next year.

Speaking of interleague, I like it and all but I hate seeing any pitcher being from the AL or NL get injured while hitting or baserunning. Players like Bartolo Colon (Red Sox), Chien-Ming Wang (Yankees), and Dustin Moseley (Padres) got injured either hitting or running. A.J. Burnett foul bunted a ball of his right eye and he'll be out for 8-12 weeks, there goes the Pirates Opening Day starter. Again why are pitchers hitting?

So you saying they should be a 15-team AL and NL alerj just like before 1968? Except the top '4' seeds make the playoffs i.e 1st round, LCS and world series.

Before 1973 all pitchers hit regardless of league.

So you saying they should be a 15-team AL and NL alerj just like before 1968? Except the top '4' seeds make the playoffs i.e 1st round, LCS and world series.
Other than the need for coast to coast coverage, I think the top 4 should be in the playoffs even if most are from one part of the country. It should reward teams with the best records.

Before 1973 all pitchers hit regardless of league.
I think that all teams should just go with the DH. If there must be a regular Interleague play, then it's time to adopt one rule and stick by it. For AL pitchers not used to hitting, it can be harmful to them (Wang has never been the same since that injury and I think his shoulder gave out because he was compensating for his injured foot).

Turning the page. More bad news for supermet fans on the boards here like Goji and R68 Subway car. A judge today (3/5/12)has ordered Mets Owners Fred and Jeff Wilpon to stand trial in a lawsuit from their involvement in the Bernie Madoff mess. Not to mention the Wilpons must pay back at least $83 Million dollars.

Judge Won't Dismiss New York Mets-Bernard Madoff Suit; Team Owes Up To $83M, $303M More At Stake « CBS New York

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to say. If I recall correctly, that's what exactly happened last year on both leagues. Everybody knows that every AL Central team not named the Detroit Tigers are mediocre at best and none of those teams deserve to go to the postseason. I'm gonna have to research and see which teams from a certain division made the postseason while a team who had a better record did not made the playoffs because it was not enough to win their division or Wild Card.

Turning the page. More bad news for supermet fans on the boards here like Goji and R68 Subway car. A judge today (3/5/12)has ordered Mets Owners Fred and Jeff Wilpon to stand trial in a lawsuit from their involvement in the Bernie Madoff mess. Not to mention the Wilpons must pay back at least $83 Million dollars.

Judge Won't Dismiss New York Mets-Bernard Madoff Suit; Team Owes Up To $83M, $303M More At Stake « CBS New York

The Wilpons need to sell the team.

Exactly. I think they have to sell the team.

Anybody see the game yesterday? The Mets lost to the Nats, 3 - 1. But man, those Metsies were running around the bases. They had 4 or 5 stolen bases yesterday.

I didn't see that game, missed out on Bryce Harper ;) but I did see Johan. Hope he stays healthy.

In other news:

According to this, Mariano might announce whether he's going to retire after 2012 before the All Star Break. Read here.

According to this, Mariano might announce whether he's going to retire after 2012 before the All Star Break. Read here.

My gut is i think he will 'retire." Mariano does not seem to be the type of great (in his case a 'lock' 1st ballot HOF)player that will stay way past his time to go i.e hello Willie Mays circa 1972-'73.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lance25

That April Fools line would've made sense if it wasn't mid-March.

As to Pettitte's return, good for him. I guess he was too bored with retirement. I just hope he doesn't become another Phil Hughes or AJ Burnett.

In a non April Fools Day joke, guess who trying to make a comeback to MLB?:eek: Andy Pettitte.

If thinks go well, Andy is trying to win the #5 starter/long man in the rotation.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/03/andy-pettitte-comeback-yankees-sign-brian-cashman/1

Not quite, Andy signed a minor league deal so this is not a sure thing he'll pitch for the Yankees. Maybe he got something on that left arm, as they say lefties pitch forever (Jamie Moyer on Colorado). He signed for $2.5M but won't make the millions until he's called up to the big club. Yankees told Pettitte to take his time on preparing for this season. If the Yankees need a 6th or 7th starter, they have Hughes/Garcia or David Phelps. As for the signing, I was lukewarm about it, I'm just concerned that with AP on the team might take away starts from Hughes/Pineda/Garcia. CC and Kuroda are locks for the rotation and I think Nova makes the rotation.

Archived