How Would You Implement/Fix Bus Service...

gtNovaBusRTS9369

Manhattan:

M1 Weekend service turn around at 65th St instead of 106th St.

M2 LTD: Make local north of 106th St.

M3: Make LTD on 5th-Madison Avenues, local north of 106th St.

M4: Rush Hour LTD should be expand.

M5: Introduce LTD trips operates full route weekdays and weekends. Local terminate/originate between 135th St/Broadway & Houston St/LGA Place. Some local trips originate/terminate at George Washington Bridge.c

M104: Restore to United Nations and extend to 34th St Pier during rush hour to provide better connection to M34/M34A SBS.

M72: Frequency should change to every 15-20 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

M106: Add more service during weekday, especially evening hours.

Queens:

Q29/Q49: Combine Q29 and Q49 together via Roosevelt Av, 75th St, Broadway.

Q72: Extend from Rego Park to Queens Center Mall.

Q23: Serve only Central Terminal Building. For Delta and US Airway, transfer to Route B bus.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are my ideas:

Restore weekend service on the (Q31) and (Q76)

Unless they're gonna run by hourly headways, then I have to disagree. The two routes were dead on weekends when they ran the way they were. I don't know about the (Q31) for it's complete route (though I saw some near empty buses at times) but for the times I rode the (Q76) on weekends most of the time it was near empty. At most 10 riders were with me on one of my rides on it. Then usually when it reached College Point the only people whom was still on it was me & my mother. I can't blame the (MTA) for cutting their service on weekend for their low ridership. However I'd favor for at least decreasing their headways a little more so they might live to this day.

Yuki a question. Under your plan there would be *NO LOCAL 5th/Madison* stops. Something has to serve the local stops between 110th and 8th St.

Also Yuki the (M2) already is *local* north of 110th when it has limited.

Just had to through it out there. Also I agree with Nova, the (Q31) and (Q76) if they ran on Saturdays should be hourly headways. During the June 2010 doomsday cuts routes with lower headways on weekends, instead of totally be wiped out could instead had 1-hour headways.

Manhattan:

M1 Weekend service turn around at 65th St instead of 106th St.

M2 LTD: Make local north of 106th St.

M3: Make LTD on 5th-Madison Avenues, local north of 106th St.

M4: Rush Hour LTD should be expand.

M5: Introduce LTD trips operates full route weekdays and weekends. Local terminate/originate between 135th St/Broadway & Houston St/LGA Place. Some local trips originate/terminate at George Washington Bridge.c

M104: Restore to United Nations and extend to 34th St Pier during rush hour to provide better connection to M34/M34A SBS.

M72: Frequency should change to every 15-20 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

M106: Add more service during weekday, especially evening hours.

Queens:

Q29/Q49: Combine Q29 and Q49 together via Roosevelt Av, 75th St, Broadway.

Q72: Extend from Rego Park to Queens Center Mall.

Q23: Serve only Central Terminal Building. For Delta and US Airway, transfer to Route B bus.

1) (B68) One or two to end at Bishop Ford in the morning and one starting there at around 2:45

2) (S79) Limited stop service in lieu of +SBS

3) (B39) Service revived but will serve 1 and 2 Avenues to either Union Square or Grand Central Terminal

1) Are you sure they don't already do that? (Serious question)

2) I don't see how +SBS+ is really going to cost much more than a limited, but either way is fine with me.

3) That was the other idea I was thinking of: Send the M15 short-turns to Williamsburg instead of keeping them at Pike Street.

Manhattan:

1) M5: Introduce LTD trips operates full route weekdays and weekends. Local terminate/originate between 135th St/Broadway & Houston St/LGA Place. Some local trips originate/terminate at George Washington Bridge.c

2) M104: Restore to United Nations and extend to 34th St Pier during rush hour to provide better connection to M34/M34A SBS.

3) M72: Frequency should change to every 15-20 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

4) M106: Add more service during weekday, especially evening hours.

1) I don't think that's necessary. Other routes act as the locals.

2) Now that I think about it, they could extend the M42 down to the 34th Street Pier, unless they feel it'll make it unreliable.

3) When does it run every 30 minutes? In the evenings?

4) Are the buses crowded, or is it just to provide better frequency? I've always thought it was weird how a crosstown bus could operate every 30 minutes, but if there's no demand, keep it as is. They could always walk (or take a north-south bus) to the M116 or M96 if they really want frequent service.

Unless they're gonna run by hourly headways, then I have to disagree. The two routes were dead on weekends when they ran the way they were. I don't know about the (Q31) for it's complete route (though I saw some near empty buses at times) but for the times I rode the (Q76) on weekends most of the time it was near empty. At most 10 riders were with me on one of my rides on it. Then usually when it reached College Point the only people whom was still on it was me & my mother. I can't blame the (MTA) for cutting their service on weekend for their low ridership. However I'd favor for at least decreasing their headways a little more so they might live to this day.

I've always thought that they should raise the "coverage" headway from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.

In any case, the MTA's own numbers say that neither route was grossly inefficient (it's really efficiency that matters, not ridership), so they would've been justified in leaving them the way they were (I actually think Sunday service should've been added to the Q76).

If you were the (MTA) & had the money what bus service...

-Would You Restore

-What Bus Route(s) would be extended (No fantasy ones allowed please!)

-Elimination of certain bus routes

-Resurrection of deceased bus routes

-Fixing Frequencies

For me my ideas would be the following:

-Create Bx55 SBS by 2013-2014.

-Extend M1 to South Ferry/Battery Park City.

-Extend M104 South-West bound Buses to United Nations.

-Remove weekend (or Just sunday service at least) from M20 route. AGREE THE LINE CARRIES AIR PERIOD on weekends.(before we go all its the only 7 day bus there) we have to think who used it??? exactly 2 ppl I saw most of em on the weekend they carry AIR LITERALLY ALMOST NOTHING. If you ppl don't use ur bus you deserve to lose your bus

-Q5 & Q85 buses extended limited portion to 231st & Bedell st respectively.

-Bx8 re-routed from Country Club to Pelham Bay.

-Q83 Buses to be re-routed to Queens Village LIRR Station (Afternoon Rush Hours Only).

-B15 Buses to have increase frequencies for Mail Facility Bound Buses/JFK Buses. (Whichever potion is more needed)

-Q42 restored weekend service.

Was the demand there??

-Create the originally proposed Q94 Bus Route Between Fordham Plaza to Flushing-Main Street to help supplement (Q44). Hell yes BUT I would extend it to JFK/airtrain nonstop via van wyck(express)detours if needed future Busway to guarantee speeds. The same busway will head to LGA allowing buses to travel non-stop between LGA and JFK airtrain LIRR without being stuck in traffic.

-Return of the B39 Bus route. (If Demanded) Only after creating the BQE busway from bay ridge to LGA the B39 will use the busway and stop at jackson heights then go to LGA. Another bus will go to downtown brooklyn atlantic terminal via SBS before re entering the busway to bay ridge. There will be a spur for prospect expressway BM and all express buses will use the busway from manhattan to brooklyn or SI to bypass traffic there will be a new JCT station to link prospect express lines with gowanus BQE lines on the busway.

-X1 Bus Service to be extended to midnights.

-S79 SBS created by 2012.

-B44 SBS created by December 2012

-M15 Northbound buses reduced to Lex-125st Overnights.

red replies if the busway works express bus ridership will increase forcing service improvements and complementing the subways.

2) I don't see how +SBS is really going to cost much more than a limited, but either way is fine with me.

3) That was the other idea I was thinking of: Send the M15 short-turns to Williamsburg instead of keeping them at Pike Street.

1) I don't think so.

2) You're probably right. I actually just read the article posted on SubChat, I agree with much of it.

3) That would be a good idea also.

Here are my ideas...

(B54) Remove stops at Kent Av(both directions) and Walworth Street(eastbound only). The Clinton Avenue stop for Ridgewood can be made a School Tripper stop, because a lot of students get on eastbound. Westbound, the Clinton Avenue stop can be moved Vanderbilt Avenue near the B69 stop to Downtown Brooklyn

(B15) All JFK trips serve Brooklyn Mail Facility.

(B68) One or two to end at Bishop Ford in the morning and one starting there at around 2:45

(S79) Limited stop service in lieu of +SBS

(B39) Service revived but will serve 1 and 2 Avenues to either Union Square or Grand Central Terminal

HMM how about B15 HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you used it??? obviously NOT. I asked 40 ppl on JFK B15 almost 95% of em said it should BYPASS THE MAIL FACILITY!!!!!!!!! ALL B15 TO THE FACILITY WILL PISS PPL OFF BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! 90% of the time when I used B15 to JFK via the facility guess how many ppl used the mail facility stop NONE, 0, NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!! Literally everytime we would go through there we will pickup NOONE at that stop it adds too much time to the JFK runs. B39 idea UR JOKING RIGHT????

Come use B15 and say that idea I dare you!!!!!!!

Here is a better idea all B15 JFK trips bypass brooklyn mail facility PERIOD that stop has very little use at all. Instead B15 will serve it during shift times only when it's needed. Let the B14 limited service extend to JFK via facility(select runs only).Or Q10 select runs to facility then we will know the REAL DEMAND for that facility.

B15 penn ave short turns need to get axed they carry AIR.

Sorry about the screaming rant but your B15 idea is a really BAD idea as well as the B39 one which is even worse sorry man. Going out of experience.

red replies if the busway works express bus ridership will increase forcing service improvements and complementing the subways.

Ok. Do you have the hundred of millions or more for these busways? Do you think NYC taxpayers will agree to this?:confused:

Oh yes QJ dramtically shifting once again a topic.

-Would You Restore

-What Bus Route(s) would be extended (No fantasy ones allowed please!)

-Elimination of certain bus routes

-Resurrection of deceased bus routes

-Fixing Frequencies

This is gonna be one rather long post, and I got TTK right now....

Didn't check anyone else's post in this thread, so you may see something already suggested (which is a good thing)....

Brooklyn:

B1- no loss in service, same headways... However, the schedule needs to be altered to match service levels.... especially/specifically during the afternoon hours (leaving KCC)...

B2- restore saturday service, at the VERY least....

B3- some WB runs start at that stop over there by 86th/stillwell

(guess it's more like 85th, it's before you hit a gas station... it's a shared stop w/ the B4 ON stillwell)....

B4- in Bay Ridge, truncate it to 77th st (R)...

also, restore Sheepshead Bay service - all of it... all times !

B7- midday service eliminated, runs the "full" route from CI/Quentin to B'way/Halsey (no kings hwy/f'bush short turns), NB service towards B'way/Halsey moved to Rockaway av (instead of T.S. boyland)...

B8- service restored to 95th st (R), all times...

also, have AM short turns towards bay ridge beginning @ utica/Av D....

B11- service around lutheran restructured...

* lutheran bound buses continue along 4th av, to 60th st, to 2nd av, to 53rd st, to 1st av (and layover)

* f'bush junction bound buses turn off 53rd st, to 1st, to 58th st, to 4th av, to 50th st, then regular route....

B13- those turns onto etna & hemlock, eliminated.... that alone adds 3-5 mins on the SB B13

B15- since they're resorting to have more of those "combined" runs run (serving postal fac AND JFK), a overall headway decrease is warranted.... however, the number of runs stopping dead at the postal fac. becomes a little less....

Personally, I would advocate for 15's to go back to only having early morning weekend runs do the combined routing... and have 1/2 the runs serve JFK, and the other half serve the postal fac. (or w/e the old ratio was)....

B16- route restructure & truncation....

1) straightened along ft hamilton pkwy to serve the (D) @ ft. hamilton pkwy....

* bay ridge buses turn UP 36th (from 12th av), and then a left on ft hamilton pkwy

* prspct-leffrts gdns buses turn on 39th st (from ft hamilton pkwy), and then a left on 12th av

2) truncated to Parkside av (Q)

B17- instead of only paerdegat buses directly serving the (L) (Rockaway Pkwy)... some (maybe about a handful) AM peak only buses leaving Seaview/E. 108th ALSO directly serves the (L)....

B20- short turns still remain....

the full route however, truncated to run up/down forest av... pretty much aids ppl in that general area the Q39 serves, south of myrtle, in gettin to the (M)... let the B13 handle putnam/67th & Fresh Pond.... most NB B20 riders that are still on the bus past wyckoff, get off at that stop on myrtle/decatur....

also, rerouted to serve New Lots av (3) via the linden houses/pj's..

B35- LTD service aint helping... too many closely spaced LTD stops... I mean, scheduling them to meet up w/ the short turns @ Mcdonald is moot, b/c w/e bus is in "front" at E. 18th (for the most part) will remain so, until utica, most times.....

B36- no loss in service, same headways..... however, some'n gotta give w/ how buses on this route are scheduled... there's no reason buses on this route should be bunching the way they do....

B39- revived, but at higher off-peak headways...

B45- service increase during peak hrs; ~every 8-10 mins instead of 10-12...

B47- schedule adjustment (which would yield a bit of a service increase); runs ~ every 10 mins except during late nights/early morning hrs...

B48- service restoration b/w Prospect park (:P(Q)(S) & Fulton st...

also, every other bus serves the industry over on Meeker... and every other bus stops dead @ Nassau av (G)

{@ that shared stop on that short block over on manhattan/bedford}

B51- revived, but runs during peak hrs. only...

B57- few things:

1) reverted to terminate in downtown brooklyn...

2) route moved/altered to serve park av b/w navy st & throop/tompkins (remains on flushing av east of throop)

3) truncated to end ON metropolitan av (around the corner from the met. av B38's)...

4) off-peak service would be decreased a bit to run every 20-30 mins (peak headways will remain the same)....

B61- outside of service b/w 10pm-5am, buses should be running on 10 min. headways all day.... they struck oil with this route & they're treatin it like vinegar...

B62- can't believe what I'm about to say here, but rescind "direct" service to WBP....

the meandering to serve it, hasn't made the anticipated/expected difference ....

B64- at the VERY least, move buses back to Mermaid terminal...

B67- revert to pre june-2010 service levels...

B69- route alteration....

1) truncated to Ft. Greene (carlton av/park av)

2) @ grand army plz, uses old B71 routing to get to smith st & court st (respectively)....

3) ends at smith-9th st (F)(G)

...runs every 20 mins, all day

B82- LTD service span increase... if you're gonna throw LTD's on the route, may as well run more of 'em throughout the day.

B83- buses moved off van siclen b/w wortman & new lots av.... Instead, buses would run along penn b/w that stretch...

any questions, go head and ask....

OK my ideas. Sorry guys who been on the forums if i am repeating some earlier proposals.

Mysterious not the worst idea in world about flip-flopping the "M2" and 'M3.' However IMO best solution is to make replace the "M3" and "M4" with the "M3" joining the "M2' all day weekdays as the 5th/Madison Limited. Also bring fare collection boxes to these bus coordiors some not including being SBS routes. 1)5th/Madison 2)125th Street 3)Main Street/Queens

4)Flatbush Ave 5)86th Street Manhattan.

1)Extend the (M8) via Avenue A, Essex and Williamsburg Bridge to the WBP Terminal replacing the (B39). Restores at least weekday service along the WBP as Essex station is still not ADA accesible.

2)Restore weekday service on the (M1)to South Ferry with 'short trips' ending at 14th Street. Weekend terminal is at 32nd/7th (Penn Station "M4" "Q32")so riders in Central Harlem near 5th/Madison have access to Midtown via bus.

9)Retore "B51" rush hour service and extend it to Battery Park City/BMCC area(Manhattan Community College).

10)Restore Hourly Saturday X27/28 service running Manhattan-bound appx. 7am-6pm and Brooklyn-Bound 9am-8pm.

14)restore "Q79" weekdays only. Or at the very least extend every other

"Q30's" Monday-Saturdays to Little Neck LIRR station via Little Neck Parkway.

15)Replace overnights the "Q11" on Cross Bay/Woodhaven with local "Q53."

Hourly service to/from Rockaway Park and Queens Center Mall. Short turns starts/ends in Howard Beach at 164th/Cross Bay maintaining 30-minute overnight service.

16)Create hourly "S79" overnight service.

19)Reduce BXM6 to a rush hour route. BXM10 serves Parkchester all other times.

More to come.

#1. Absolutely not, you're gonna make the M8 go all the way to the East Side, then go back and then down Avenue A and over to Brooklyn? That in itself makes no sense. And believe it or not, people do board at Avenue B, C & D....The M8 is already extremely slow, it gets even slower at night...

#2. No point in having those short trips because the M1 carries quite a good bit all the way down to the village. Sending it to Penn Station is pointless, thats what the M4 & Q32 is for....

#3. A Battery Park City extension would be unnecessary as people down there take the (4)/(5) & Express Buses into Brooklyn.

#4. I agree with the restoration of saturday service, however, I'd have trips to & from the city end at 10pm.

#5. Agreed.

#6. Not gonna work, better off keeping the Q11

#7. Sounds alright

#8. How exactly is that going to work...the BxM6 & the BxM10 serve two entirely different areas, from the sounds of that, you are on some QJTransit____ ish....

This is what I would do:

Manhattan

M1: Elimate Route Entirely. Alternatives will be the M102, Replacing the M1 north of 106 street, and the M2 south of 106 street.

M2: Reroute Services from 5/Madison Avenues to Park Avenue, until 8 street.

M3: Extended to South Ferry During Rush Hours

M7: Extended to South Ferry , service south of 14 street run on 8 Avenue instead of 6 Avenue

M10:Extended to 14 street ,then run up 8 Avenue to 159 street.

M20: Eliminated

Queens

Q32: Extended to La Guardia Airport via Q33 routing after 74 street.

Q33: Eliminated

Q38:Eliminated

Q49: Extended to Main Street

Q88: Extended to the Metropolitan Avenue M train Station with diversions in Corona/Elmhurst operating Q38 routing after Otis Avenue/ H.H Expwy

Too much problems, lots of explanations.....

#1. Eliminating the M1 would do more damage than it seems. The M1 is physically faster than the M102 especially with its LIMITED counterpart...you'd be doing more damage than you'd think....

#2. As if thats going to work. There's a specific reason as to why they shifted the M1 off of Park Ave going to the village in the first place, there was no ridership being gained...

#3. Why? The M3 is already extremely long. The M5 is currently the better option....

#4. Once again, why?

#5. Bad idea.

#6. You must be out of your mind, them Battery Park folk rely on the M20 to get around. Same with the folks on the West Side south of Houston....

#7. Yeah ok, as if extending the Q32 to LGA would do more good. It already gets tied up in traffic in Long Island City & Queens Blvd AND at Jackson Heights, doing that would delay and damage the route....

#8. Pointless

#9. For what reason? Peeps use the (7) more than the Q19 to begin with. What good would the Q49 extension do for anyone....

#10. And exactly how are you going to do that? Doing that would delay the 88 even more....Queens Village to Metropolitan Avenue (M) is not possible...

Let the B14 limited service extend to JFK via facility(select runs only).Or Q10 select runs to facility then we will know the REAL DEMAND for that facility.

Sorry about the screaming rant but your B15 idea is a really BAD idea as well as the B39 one which is even worse sorry man. Going out of experience.

11205300.jpg

Cait Sith maybe i got the transitmaster diease lol. On the BXM6 there no need for service beyond at most weekdays until 8pm. BXM10 could use East Tremont Ave. off peak before going on to Eastchester. The BXM10 is close enough to the oval where the BXM6 serves and not have Parkchester residents be angry. That why i purposed it.

2)I suggested hourly "Q53" since the entire Rockaway Pensuila right now only has '1' overnight bus line the (Q35). Plus there is frequent GO's that knocks out the Rock Park Shuttle.

3)I suggested the (M8) extension to Brooklyn since it much shorter than extending the (M15) Local all the way to/from

125th Street. It also provides from Williamsburg access to the East Village, Greenwich Village and the hard to get West Village area. Not perfect but IMO better than extending the (M15) locals which now short turn at Houston.

Now feel ready to reply Cait.

Cait Sith maybe i got the transitmaster diease lol. On the BXM6 there no need for service beyond at most weekdays until 8pm. BXM10 could use East Tremont Ave. so that it close enough to the oval where the BXM6 serves and not have Parkchester residents be angry. That why i purposed it.

2)I suggested hourly "Q53" since the entire Rockaway Pensuila right now only has '1' overnight bus line the (Q35). Plus there is frequent GO's that knocks out the Rock Park Shuttle.

3)I suggested the (M8) extension to Brooklyn since it much shorter than extending the (M15) Local all the way to/from

125th Street. It also provides from Williamsburg access to the East Village, Greenwich Village and the hard to get West Village area.

Now feel ready to reply Caith.

#1. Well, good luck trying to convince the folks over there as they will shoot that idea down in a heartbeat.

#2. Sounds somewhat reasonable.

#3. Still not going to work. You'd be creating something that is ultimately slower than each and every Crosstown route in Manhattan. That would make the M8 getting caught in traffic EVERYWHERE! Also since that there is no physical turnaround for that to happen on the M8, you'd be complicating stops in Alphabet City.

Here is a better idea all B15 JFK trips bypass brooklyn mail facility PERIOD that stop has very little use at all. Instead B15 will serve it during shift times only when it's needed. Let the B14 limited service extend to JFK via facility(select runs only).Or Q10 select runs to facility then we will know the REAL DEMAND for that facility.

You absolutely makes no sense whatsoever. What is the point of extending the Q10 to Brooklyn or B14 to JFK? Q10 customers don't their route to go to Brooklyn whether is selective or part time and same for the B14 customers don't want their route going to Queens to JFK Airport. The point of the B14 extending to Spring Creek-Post Facility to have customers to have a one seat ride to/from Crown Heights and/or transfer to the B13 and B15 w/o having to walk over there. As for the B15 going to Spring Creek has very useful to stop there b/c one ppl work in that building and direct serve to Bedford-Stuyvesant, East New York, Brownsville. B15 to Pennsylvania Avenue does carry its obvious most ppl dump out by the New Lots Avenue (3) subway station and/or transfer to the B6!

#1. Well, good luck trying to convince the folks over there as they will shoot that idea down in a heartbeat.

#2. Sounds somewhat reasonable.

#3. Still not going to work. You'd be creating something that is ultimately slower than each and every Crosstown route in Manhattan. That would make the M8 getting caught in traffic EVERYWHERE! Also since that there is no physical turnaround for that to happen on the M8, you'd be complicating stops in Alphabet City.

1)Well being fair Parkchester residents should have reduced Saturday service or even lose it. Besides the BM4 it's the 2nd most empty route outside of rush hours of the Manhattan express buses. I have no grips against those folks, it about being fair. Plus is not the rebulided Parkchester (6) station now ada accessible?

3)You know the LES bus routes better than me. If it's not a good idea you probably right. However we can agree extending the M15's locals to/from WBP is a bad proposal by other posters. IMO the only way the (B39) ever returns now is that it part of a either a new or extended route. It's shame mainly for the disabled/eledery who have a diffcult time getting to the essex area since that station is still not ada accessible.:P

1)Well being fair Parkchester residents should lose Saturday service. Besides the BM4 it's the 2nd most empty route outside of rush hours. I have no grips against those folks, it about being fair.

3)You know the LES bus routes better than me. If it's not a good idea you probably right. However we can agree extending the M15's locals to/from WBP is a bad proposal by other posters. IMO the only way the (B39) ever returns now is that it part of a either a new or extended route. It's shame mainly for the disabled/eledery who have a diffcult time getting to the essex area since that station is still not ada accessible.:P

My vision of a B39 was something like this, Myrtle Avenue/Broadway to Houston & Chrystie with a bus stop change at Allen/Delancey, it kills two birds with one stone. Ease of access between Marcy & Myrtle & the fact that the Houston & Chrystie stop would be directly across from the 2nd Avenue Station. It would also kill the idea of having to take the M15 to Delancey for the B39.

Going Brooklyn-Bound, it'd take Chrystie down and make a left onto Delancey. This also benefits riders of the Bowery Station on the (J)/(Z). The next stop would be Delancey/Allen and the bus stop would be directly across from its old spot. It would basically be looping around that part of Manhattan with direct service to & from Brooklyn.

This is what I would do:

Manhattan

M1: Elimate Route Entirely. Alternatives will be the M102, Replacing the M1 north of 106 street, and the M2 south of 106 street.

M7: Extended to South Ferry , service south of 14 street run on 8 Avenue instead of 6 Avenue

Queens

Q38: Eliminated

Q50: Restore 31 Road bus stop in both directions

Q67: New Headways: 6 AM,10 NOON,7 PM, and 20 minutes EVE &WKNDS

Q67: Extended to 108 street/ 62 Road via Q38 routing after Metropolitan Avenue /Fresh Pond Road

Q88: Extended to the Metropolitan Avenue M train Station with diversions in Corona/Elmhurst operating Q38 routing after Otis Avenue/ H.H Expwy

M1... the MTA would probably agree with that

M2... park av through bus service... it'll be a cold day in hell when that happens...

M3... that would be much worse than the current M5 b/w GWB & S. ferry.... bear in mind M3 has no ltd counterpart; meaning you'll have a straight local route b/w 193rd & south ferry - during the rush, no less.... that's not too smart an idea....

M7/M20... lol @ eliminating the M20 for the M7...

you're failing to neglect the M7 is the local counterpart to the M5 LTD along 6th av.... with the M6 gone, what serves the local stops along 6th av??

M10... I dunno about 14th, but I do agree that havin buses end around columbus circle now makes it less useful....

Q32... won't beat that cremated horse... let's just say there's a gargantuan disagreement there & leave it at that

Q38... explain...

Q49.. that duplicates the Q19; the 19 just barely hangin in there w/ its extension to flushing - the last thing it needs is a supplement....

Q50... no comment

Q67... what are you trying to accomplish in havin that happen?

(outside of simply eliminating the Q38)

Q88... nah; you couldn't hope for a more ideal terminal; w/ Queens ctr. mall & the subway there...

And those 2 branches of the B83 look messed up. I think it should stay the way it is. It seems like it picks up more people along its current route (I think that part of Pennsylvania Avenue has more strip malls, whereas Van Siclen Avenue has more people living around it).

yeah, penn is more commercial & van siclen is mainly residential....

What I'll say is this, man.... the 83 loses too much time makin those turns on & off (and traveling along) new lots av coming from having served van siclen.... to boot, you don't see much, if anyone using the 83 along new lots av.... outside of b'way junction itself, the 83 gets the bulk of its riders along penn & w/i starrett.... van siclen is not the draw you might be thinkin it is....

having the 20 do what it currently does b/w the postal fac. & new lots/penn, is unnecessary.... it is no accident that cats out there in the pink houses are quick to jump on 15's to get to the (3)... anyway, having the 83 serve van siclen & new lots makes the route less efficient....

I'm not implying that the current 83 doesn't pick up - what I am sayin is, by having the 83 pan up penn from where the current 20 does (wortman) to b'way junction, would make the route more efficient....

lol @ the messed up comment... that's what happens when you judge solely based on maps....

Moving on, a while ago B35viaChurch had this idea to restructure the B20 and B83 in New Lots to make them more efficient.

**IMAGE/MAP**

The B83 has one branch straight down Pennsylvania and another branch partially on Van Siclen Av, while the B20 is rerouted to New Lots Av, which actually makes it faster.

The main reason I'd have the 83 on wortman, is for the same reason the 20 uses it - to serve folks out of the penn-wortman & the linden houses....

way I see it, the B83 should be up there w/ the B74, as far as efficiency goes.... the 20 should exist w/i ENY to assist w/ crowding on the 15; instead, it's routed where it's takin on a sect. of pax it doesn't necessarily have to (both w/ the 20 & the 83 serving b'way junction).... let the 83 transport those riders along penn (and south of like, linden, where all them projects is) to the (3) @ penn, if it's the (3) they need....

You absolutely makes no sense whatsoever. What is the point of extending the Q10 to Brooklyn or B14 to JFK? Q10 customers don't their route to go to Brooklyn whether is selective or part time and same for the B14 customers don't want their route going to Queens to JFK Airport. The point of the B14 extending to Spring Creek-Post Facility to have customers to have a one seat ride to/from Crown Heights and/or transfer to the B13 and B15 w/o having to walk over there. As for the B15 going to Spring Creek has very useful to stop there b/c one ppl work in that building and direct serve to Bedford-Stuyvesant, East New York, Brownsville. B15 to Pennsylvania Avenue does carry its obvious most ppl dump out by the New Lots Avenue (3) subway station and/or transfer to the B6!

damn, and here I was thinkin a B14 extension west of utica av was bad.... this guy talmbout b14 jfk & q10 brooklyn....

I didn't even peep any of his suggestions... just readin your summary/breakdown against his ideas is enough comic relief for me...

goodnight !

Yuki a question. Under your plan there would be *NO LOCAL 5th/Madison* stops. Something has to serve the local stops between 110th and 8th St.

Also Yuki the (M2) already is *local* north of 110th when it has limited.

Just had to through it out there. Also I agree with Nova, the (Q31) and (Q76) if they ran on Saturdays should be hourly headways. During the June 2010 doomsday cuts routes with lower headways on weekends, instead of totally be wiped out could instead had 1-hour headways.

2) I don't see how +SBS+ is really going to cost much more than a limited, but either way is fine with me.

1) I don't think that's necessary. Other routes act as the locals.

2) Now that I think about it, they could extend the M42 down to the 34th Street Pier, unless they feel it'll make it unreliable.

3) When does it run every 30 minutes? In the evenings?

4) Are the buses crowded, or is it just to provide better frequency? I've always thought it was weird how a crosstown bus could operate every 30 minutes, but if there's no demand, keep it as is. They could always walk (or take a north-south bus) to the M116 or M96 if they really want frequent service.

I've always thought that they should raise the "coverage" headway from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.

In any case, the MTA's own numbers say that neither route was grossly inefficient (it's really efficiency that matters, not ridership), so they would've been justified in leaving them the way they were (I actually think Sunday service should've been added to the Q76).

I meant introduce LTD on M3 with local bus similar to Q10 and Bx36 does.

Some M3 local operates full route or short trip to/from 168th St-Washington Heights.

I meant on weekend, (M72) is longer wait about 30 min.

This is what I would do:

Manhattan

Queens

Q38:Eliminated

Q50: Restore 31 Road bus stop in both directions

Q67: New Headways: 6 AM,10 NOON,7 PM, and 20 minutes EVE &WKNDS

Q67:Extended to 108 street/ 62 Road via Q38 routing after Metropolitan Avenue /Fresh Pond Road

M1: Agree with Shortline bus.

M2/M3: Should remain on 5th-Madison Av:

M3: I agree. That will be way long.

M7: Not good idea. Maybe M7 could extend to 5th Av/14th St and turn around at 13th St to 6th Av, for better transfer to 5th-Madison Avs.

M10: Not good idea. Some trips should extend to PABT and turn around at 39th St.

M20: Not good idea. Plus, Battery Park City Shuttle Bus does not operate before 10am and after 7:30pm, Battery Park City folks might have to walk. There are lots of seniors and disable in that area.

Q32: I agree with Shortline Bus. I remember one of friendly B/O wanted SBS (LOL).

Q33: This bus is very important.

Q50: It does stop at 31st Rd according to bus schedule.

I agree with via White Plains Rd.

Ok, I have some more ideas here:

-(Q25) & (Q65) would have increased frequencies on afteroon weekends by 10-12 Minutes.

-(Q36) Wipe out it's LTD counterpart it's useless. The LTD service only carries as much people as the local.

-(Q46) this is going to be a tough one. Create afternoon Westbound LTD's between 3:30-6:30 PM.

-(Q66) Eliminate some stops among it's route since there's too many.

-(Q74) To brought back with 45-60 Minute Headways. Weekdays Only.

-(Q27)/(Q83) This is an either/or type of move. One way is fulfill all southbound (Q27) trips to 120 Av or just give some (Q83) trips to QV LIRR station (once again mainly for weekdays).

-(M21) Restore Weekend service to supplement (M20).

-(M66) Restore Overnight Service.

-

HMM how about B15 HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you used it??? obviously NOT. I asked 40 ppl on JFK B15 almost 95% of em said it should BYPASS THE MAIL FACILITY!!!!!!!!! ALL B15 TO THE FACILITY WILL PISS PPL OFF BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! 90% of the time when I used B15 to JFK via the facility guess how many ppl used the mail facility stop NONE, 0, NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!! Literally everytime we would go through there we will pickup NOONE at that stop it adds too much time to the JFK runs. B39 idea UR JOKING RIGHT????

Come use B15 and say that idea I dare you!!!!!!!

Well, if what to say is true then, the B15 should be left as it is, but I don't agree on the B14 or the Q10. As for the B39, I still think it should be extended somewhere in Manhattan as a decent amt of passengers boarded and departed at Allen St before it was canned. It should have either been sent up 1/2 Avenues or follow the former M9 route to Union Square.

#8. How exactly is that going to work...the BxM6 & the BxM10 serve two entirely different areas, from the sounds of that, you are on some QJTransit____ ish...

Actually Cait, it has been done before. I recall the first BxM10 schedules from the MTA with a few weekend night trips serving White Plains Road.

http://bette.aecom.yu.edu/Media/bxm10nxt.pdf

AGREE THE LINE CARRIES AIR PERIOD on weekends.(before we go all its the only 7 day bus there) we have to think who used it??? exactly 2 ppl I saw most of em on the weekend they carry AIR LITERALLY ALMOST NOTHING. If you ppl don't use ur bus you deserve to lose your bus

According to the MTA, the M20 had reasonable ridership on weekends: It cost $3.09 per passenger, which is enough to justify its existance as a coverage service. The reason why you might only see 2 people on the bus is because at that particular point, there are only 2 people, but further up the line, there might've been more (and Manhattan buses especially have high turnover, so throughout the run, the bus might've picked up 20 or 30 people)

1) B2- restore saturday service, at the VERY least....

2) B3- some WB runs start at that stop over there by 86th/stillwell

(guess it's more like 85th, it's before you hit a gas station... it's a shared stop w/ the B4 ON stillwell)....

3) B35- LTD service aint helping... too many closely spaced LTD stops... I mean, scheduling them to meet up w/ the short turns @ Mcdonald is moot, b/c w/e bus is in "front" at E. 18th (for the most part) will remain so, until utica, most times.....

1) Like I've been saying, I think the B100 should be modified and serve the area with a better frequency. I prefer one route along one street running frequently, rather than two routes running infrequently.

So on weekends, the B100 could run every 10-15 minutes, whereas before, each route ran every 20-30 minutes.

2) I didn't realize there were that many Bath Beach riders taking the bus to the (D) (vs. just walking to it)

3) Could they cut out a few stops on the limited instead? For instance, they could cut out the Kings Highway, NY Avenue, Bedford Avenue, and East 4th Street stops.

1) How exactly is that going to work...the BxM6 & the BxM10 serve two entirely different areas, from the sounds of that, you are on some QJTransit____ ish....

2) You must be out of your mind, them Battery Park folk rely on the M20 to get around. Same with the folks on the West Side south of Houston....

3) For what reason? Peeps use the (7) more than the Q19 to begin with. What good would the Q49 extension do for anyone....

1) I actually thought of it too, a while back. The BxM10 could travel via its regular route to White Plains Road, then take WPR to Unionport Road, and then take the BxM6 route to Manhattan.

2) He'd replace it with the M7 and M10.

3) He's probably thinking of people in the East Elmhurst area more than Jackson Heights riders.

-(Q36) Wipe out it's LTD counterpart it's useless. The LTD service only carries as much people as the local.

-

But if it doesn't get that high ridership, you can just reduce the headways a bit. I don't see what high ridership has to do with the limited vs. local. I mean, the route does help Queens Village riders reach the subway faster, doesn't it?

Because of Replies, I have modified my planning to the following

Manhattan

M1: Retain

M2:Retain

M3:Retain

M7:Extend to South Ferry, via 14 street,5 Avenue, 8 street,and then over old M1 route to South Ferry, and from South Ferry come up via old M1 routing until Houston, left on houston onto 6 Avenue until 14 street, and the assume regular routing

M10:Combine with M14A to end at Delancey Street/FDR Drive

M14D:Re-label M14

M20:Discontinued

M104: Extended to South Ferry operating M20 routing south of Columbus Circle

Queens

Q32/Q33 combined into the Q33 based on guidelines. Operates Under MTA NYCT from Casey Stengel Depot operating with Q33 headways.

Q38:Retain Section from Otis Avenue until 69 street/Juniper Valley Road

Q67:Same as last time,go in a loop from 69 street to Q38 Juniper Valley Routing via Metropolitan Avenue

Brooklyn

B3/B64: Combined under B3 frequencies operating fom B64 northern terminal to E 73 street. Late night service operates over Avenue U and 25 Avenue

B25/B83: Combined under B25 frequencies. Late night service operates from DUMBO to Broadway Junction:)

1) M7:Extend to South Ferry, via 14 street,5 Avenue, 8 street,and then over old M1 route to South Ferry, and from South Ferry come up via old M1 routing until Houston, left on houston onto 6 Avenue until 14 street, and the assume regular routing

2) M10:Combine with M14A to end at Delancey Street/FDR Drive

3) Q32/Q33 combined into the Q33 based on guidelines. Operates Under MTA NYCT from Casey Stengel Depot operating with Q33 headways.

4) B3/B64: Combined under B3 frequencies operating fom B64 northern terminal to E 73 street. Late night service operates over Avenue U and 25 Avenue

5) B25/B83: Combined under B25 frequencies. Late night service operates from DUMBO to Broadway Junction:)

1) If that's the case, you'd be better off bringing back the M1 to South Ferry.

2) That'd be even worse than the old M10 (which took over the present M20). You'd be subjecting it to crosstown traffic on 14th Street.

3) The reason everybody opposed it was because the route would be way too unreliable. Believe me, you're not the first one to propose a Q32/Q33 combo.

4) I don't think there'sd a whole lot of people transferring between the B3 and B64, so I think you'd risk making it unreliable for nothing.

5) The B83 works well as a shuttle from Broadway Junction to Starrett City. There's no need to combine it with the B25 as their ridership bases are different.

I can't speak for any of the bus routes in Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island but where The Bronx and Manhattan are concerned, I have a few ideas. Forgive me if I repeat what others might have said previously.

The Bronx

Bx12 - have the SBS run until 12am, 11:30pm at the earliest. There are still a lot of people who use the bus at that time.

Bx16 - should go from 20 mins headways to 15 mins.

Bx26 - restore pre-June 2010 service in Co-op City

Bx28/38 - restore pre-June 2010 service in Co-op City, eliminate the Bx38. If they don't eliminate the 38, then change the headways to every 8-10 mins.

Manhattan

M1 - service needs to be restored to South Ferry and it needs to be 24/7. If nothing else, then have the M1 go back to 8th Street on the weekends.

M5 - needs to go back to pre-June 2010 service

M7 - needs to end at Union Sq again

M8 - restore weekend service like they did the M50

M10 - should go down to 14th St

M104 - I think others have said it but it should go back to the U.N.

Don't ask me where the (MTA) is gonna get this money. This is all a fantasy but hopefully one if not more of these things will become a reality.

Archived