How Would You Implement/Fix Bus Service...

gtNovaBusRTS9369

Because of Replies, I have modified my planning to the following

Manhattan

M1: Retain

M2:Retain

M3:Retain

M7:Extend to South Ferry, via 14 street,5 Avenue, 8 street,and then over old M1 route to South Ferry, and from South Ferry come up via old M1 routing until Houston, left on houston onto 6 Avenue until 14 street, and the assume regular routing

No, just no. Absolutely no need for this. Crosstown on 14th Street will take 15-20 minutes alone.

M10:Combine with M14A to end at Delancey Street/FDR Drive

Read above

M14D:Re-label M14

Read above

M20:Discontinued

What will serve Battery Park City then?

M104: Extended to South Ferry operating M20 routing south of Columbus Circle

So replace the M20 with the M104? The M104 is so long that it can be a bit unreliable as it is now, and extending it down wouldn't help at all. If anything sent it back down to the UN like it used to.

Replies in red.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q23CentralTerm, you do know why the M20 was created, right? It was split from the M10 in 1999 to combat the problems it had as a result of running all the way from 159th St to Battery Park City. The M10 shouldn't have been cut back to Columbus Circle, but make it too long and you're just re-creating the same unreliability and other problems that the M20 was created to alleviate.

Put those countdown clocks they have on the M16/34 on every route, same with those automated announcements they have on those 16/34 buses. Just for those two reasons alone the M16/34 is a GOAT bus route lol. Only the local routes will get these, a route like the X22 where it runs alone, wouldn't, it would be waste IMO, only runs in one direction a for a few hours.

Only the new buses in the fleet would get the automated announcements, basically the OG hybrids and newer....

I know that, but what if there was no M14A but an extended M10 instead, would the M14D desgination still be around.

Extend the M10.....to replace the M14A....who hit you over the head?

The M14A is one hell of a high ridership route to & from Abingdon Square. If you're gonna get rid of that, you are killing off one of the main reasons why the M14A gains high ridership in the first place. There would be a lot of things to be changed here

M10 moved to Quill

M10 to turn into an articulated route (not going to happen)

And another route to supplement for Abingdon Square/Lower East Side service.

Not gonna work.

My motto : Examine the routes before you make unnecessary changes.

Question about the BxM6 posters....

Where does that bus get its passengers from anyway and why is it needed? It only makes four drop-off stops in the Bronx and three pick-up stops going to the city.... :confused:

Well I guess I can see why folks would think it's needed... You either have that bus or you've got to go through so rough parts of the Bronx. I remember being on the BxM10 going to Morris Park and passing on that Bruckner Expressway... Man I was thinking do not break down here!! Very run down area of the Bronx... I would imagine white flight on another level if there was no express bus in that area over there. :eek: An old co-worker of mine used the BxM6 (Italian lady) because she hated dealing with the (6) train. lol If it's not that then what else can it be? The (6) is generally reliable from my understanding, though I haven't dealt with it in the Bronx, but still. I don't see how in the world that bus can get much ridership with three stops going to the city.

The M14A is one hell of a high ridership route to & from Abingdon Square. If you're gonna get rid of that, you are killing off one of the main reasons why the M14A gains high ridership in the first place. There would be a lot of things to be changed here

M10 moved to Quill

M10 to turn into an articulated route (not going to happen)

And another route to supplement for Abingdon Square/Lower East Side service.

Not gonna work.

My motto : Examine the routes before you make unnecessary changes.

one thing we both agree on well said. a duplicate line will NEVER become an articulated line.

Welcome back buddy:tup::cool:. Have not heard from you in many moons. PM to tell what going on Princelex? My replies in red.

I can't speak for any of the bus routes in Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island but where The Bronx and Manhattan are concerned, I have a few ideas. Forgive me if I repeat what others might have said previously.

The Bronx

Bx12 - have the SBS run until 12am, 11:30pm at the earliest. There are still a lot of people who use the bus at that time.

Agreed. The last 207th-Bound SBS should around 11pm from Bay Plaza while the last Bay Plaza-bound leaves Inwood at around 12 Midnight Monday-Saturdays. Sundays remain the same hours. Also this route overnight headways should be every 20-30 minutes between 1-5am.

Bx16 - should go from 20 mins headways to 15 mins.

I take your word for it.

Bx26 - restore pre-June 2010 service in Co-op City-Agreed.

Bx28/38 - restore pre-June 2010 service in Co-op City, eliminate the Bx38. If they don't eliminate the 38, then change the headways to every 8-10 mins.

I would make the (BX38) a limited Monday-Saturday serving all of COOP then limited between Bartow/Edson and Gun Hill/Bainbridge. Plus re-route the "38" and extend to the 231st-Bway station giving for 1st time a 1-bus access between COOP/NE Bronx and Marble Hill/Riverdale.

While the (BX28)runs between Fordham Center and Bay Plaza via Local. Late nights (between 11pm-6am)BX28 runs solo between 205th St (D) station and all of Coop.

Manhattan

M1 - service needs to be restored to South Ferry and it needs to be 24/7. If nothing else, then have the M1 go back to 8th Street on the weekends.

The (M1) does not need to run to South Ferry 24/7. I would more quickly either restore the (M6) which would be extended to 72nd St/Bway. or the current M5 and have it run all night. I would just have the (M1) run to South Ferry rush hours only and return running full time to 8th Street. Overnights the (M1) starts/ends at Penn Station with 60 minutes headways. It's a joke that one of the most famous roads on the planet 5th/Madison Ave now only has 1-hour headways between 1-5am with only the "M2.".

M5 - needs to go back to pre-June 2010 service-Agreed. Doubt it will happen though. At least have the "M5" run limited 7 days a week between 72nd/Bway. and 14th Street until 9pm every day.

M7 - needs to end at Union Sq again-Problem is with Broadway now closed for all traffic (including MTA buses) for good in Midtown the "M7" which is already a long route subject to frequent delays would get stuck with traffic traveling on 14th Street or any nearby streets. i.e 13th or 15th Street. So by defualt the 6th Avenue/14th Street area makes the most sense.

M8 - restore weekend service like they did the M50-Not a top need. There other routes that need full service to be restored before the "M8." Plus on weekends this route had only a handful of riders most trips.

M10 - should go down to 14th St-Not happening as the MTA will say it parrells the "M20" too much. It should be restored to Penn Station.

M104 - I think others have said it but it should go back to the U.N.

Don't ask me where the (MTA) is gonna get this money. This is all a fantasy but hopefully one if not more of these things will become a reality.

Welcome back buddy:tup::cool:. Have not heard from you in many moons. PM to tell what going on Princelex? My replies in red.

ppl who are really serious about going to penn station WILL NEVER USE M10!!!!! If you have to catch a train at penn you will not use a slow M10 bus or any manhattan local otherwise you are not serious about catching your train plain and simple. Buses are NOT for reaching major terminals quickly to catch a LIRR or NJT train they are too slow period. M10 can stay where it is. PPl who have trains to catch WILL ALWAYS USE THE SUBWAY or if from SI the express bus. I will have to agree with MTA on that move there. The M20 is perfect for comic relief. If you want to miss ur train go ahead use manhattan local bus. The M10/20 are like nursing homes on wheels for a reason.

Where does that bus get its passengers from anyway and why is it needed? It only makes four drop-off stops in the Bronx and three pick-up stops going to the city.... :confused:

Well I guess I can see why folks would think it's needed... You either have that bus or you've got to go through so rough parts of the Bronx. I remember being on the BxM10 going to Morris Park and passing on that Bruckner Expressway... Man I was thinking do not break down here!! Very run down area of the Bronx... I would imagine white flight on another level if there was no express bus in that area over there. :eek: An old co-worker of mine used the BxM6 (Italian lady) because she hated dealing with the (6) train. lol If it's not that then what else can it be? The (6) is generally reliable from my understanding, though I haven't dealt with it in the Bronx, but still. I don't see how in the world that bus can get much ridership with three stops going to the city.

Parkchester is very dense: It's a whole bunch of apartment buildings which give it a lot of ridership. You have to consider that most of the other express routes run through (as you like to say) more suburban areas, which means that something else has to attract riders (either the other options are crappy or more people just feel like using the express bus). The BxM6 has a built-in ridership base because it's right by a bunch of apartment buildings.

As far as White flight goes, percentage-wise, there aren't a whole lot of Whites left. They make up something like 5-10% of the population of Parkchester. Plus, I remember B35 posting his description of express bus ridership in The Bronx, and he said that BxM6 riders are mostly Black.

You aware Transitmaster most of the (A) and (C) Manhattan stations are not ada accessible right? So it's more than 'old folks' but a large number of disabled riders. Seems like you have alot to learn as it's more than just ridership/profits. You also have to deal with politics and other issues like the disabled/senior communities in making your plans.

And don't mention access a ride it at times is a horrible show. Until ADA comes to the majority of (A) and (C) lines there is a need for the M10/M20 buses.

ppl who are really serious about going to penn station WILL NEVER USE M10!!!!! If you have to catch a train at penn you will not use a slow M10 bus or any manhattan local otherwise you are not serious about catching your train plain and simple. Buses are NOT for reaching major terminals quickly to catch a LIRR or NJT train they are too slow period. M10 can stay where it is. PPl who have trains to catch WILL ALWAYS USE THE SUBWAY or if from SI the express bus. I will have to agree with MTA on that move there. The M20 is perfect for comic relief. If you want to miss ur train go ahead use manhattan local bus. The M10/20 are like nursing homes on wheels for a reason.

You aware Transitmaster most of the (A) and (C) Manhattan stations are not ada accessible right? So it's more than 'old folks' but a large number of disabled riders. Seems like you have alot to learn as it's more than just ridership/profits. You also have to deal with politics and other issues like the disabled/senior communities in making your plans.

And don't mention access a ride it at times is a horrible show. Until ADA comes to the majority of (A) and (C) lines there is a need for the M10/M20 buses.

If you want speed you will use subway or taxi or you will find a way. Don't use manhattan buses and expect speed. They are nursing homes on wheels. The youngest ppl on M20/10 you will see are in their 50s or are tourists. again I have no route modding plans for mta routes other than SI and a few express in queens to increase ridership. Only the few speed based ones are my real ideas the rest are out of my ass. Riding the M10/20 is too depressing for me lol it's like a hospital on wheels nothing but old ppl and disabled ppl.

But if it doesn't get that high ridership, you can just reduce the headways a bit. I don't see what high ridership has to do with the limited vs. local. I mean, the route does help Queens Village riders reach the subway faster, doesn't it?

That's true. But still some on here may agree that the (Q36) should've never never gotten a LTD counterpart so I'm sticking to that. Instead I would've just sent some buses to Little Neck Parkway as mentioned before in the past. Not only would it be more beneifical than a LTD it could cover the (Q79)'s path.

If you want speed you will use subway or taxi or you will find a way. Don't use manhattan buses and expect speed. They are nursing homes on wheels. The youngest ppl on M20/10 you will see are in their 50s or are tourists. again I have no route modding plans for mta routes other than SI and a few express in queens to increase ridership. Only the few speed based ones are my real ideas the rest are out of my ass. Riding the M10/20 is too depressing for me lol it's like a hospital on wheels nothing but old ppl and disabled ppl.

That not a nice thing to say Transitmaster. And you want a carrer as a transit planner. You underestimate the importance seniors and disabled use (MTA) and other transit services. Heard of the American Disabilities Act? If you want 'speed' get a car that fuel efficent. It's these off the wall comments why many of the others on the boards strongly dislike your comments/views.:tdown:

That's true. But still some on here may agree that the (Q36) should've never never gotten a LTD counterpart so I'm sticking to that. Instead I would've just sent some buses to Little Neck Parkway as mentioned before in the past. Not only would it be more beneifical than a LTD it could cover the (Q79)'s path.

But a limited doesn't really have anything to do with an extension along Little Neck Parkway.

Keep in mind that a limited generally saves money because the buses move faster and the MTA saves on labor costs. If there was something wrong with the limited itself (if the local buses in the corridor were packed while the limited was empty), then I'd agree that it was useless.

And I don't think going all the way up to Little Neck would really help out riders along Little Neck Parkway. Sure, they'd basically be getting their Q79 service back, but riders in the northern section wouldn't really want to go to Jamaica. If anything, they'd want service to Flushing.

Because of Replies, I have modified my planning to the following

Manhattan

M1: Retain

M2: Retain

M3: Retain

M10:Combine with M14A to end at Delancey Street/FDR Drive

M14D:Re-label M14

M20:Discontinued

M104: Extended to South Ferry operating M20 routing south of Columbus Circle

Brooklyn

B3/B64: Combined under B3 frequencies operating fom B64 northern terminal to E 73 street. Late night service operates over Avenue U and 25 Avenue

B25/B83: Combined under B25 frequencies. Late night service operates from DUMBO to Broadway Junction:)

- Well at least you've come to see the importance service along 5th/madison av....

- You're worsening service along 14th st for no reason at all....

- buses aren't timely enough on the B3, that's long been a problem on that route... the B3 & the B64 should remain as 2 separate routes... hardly see anyone xferring b/w the 2 routes, neither of which are all that short to even want to combine em anyway...

I'd worry more about saving the 64 & making the B3 more timely, than I would bother combining them...

- The only thing the 25 & the 83 have in common is broadway junction itself... there is zero justification in combining those two routes.... the B83 serves a rather isolated section of Brooklyn, and the 25 (believe it or not) is a lifeline in bed stuy, while also serving THE (only) CBD in Brooklyn on the other end.... can't overlook that...

what's to stop you from suggesting a B25/B12 combo... or a B25/Q56 combo... or a B25/Q24 combo.... neither of which makes any more or less sense than a B25/B83 combo...

1) Like I've been saying, I think the B100 should be modified and serve the area with a better frequency. I prefer one route along one street running frequently, rather than two routes running infrequently.

So on weekends, the B100 could run every 10-15 minutes, whereas before, each route ran every 20-30 minutes.

2) I didn't realize there were that many Bath Beach riders taking the bus to the (D) (vs. just walking to it)

3) Could they cut out a few stops on the limited instead? For instance, they could cut out the Kings Highway, NY Avenue, Bedford Avenue, and East 4th Street stops.

1)That's fine for the B100... but I still think there should be some saturday service on the B2....

2) I meant to say, some EB runs start at that bus stop near the 25 av sta. on the (D).... But what I will say is, usage b/w the depot (ulmer pk.) & the subway station on the B3, is weak.... basically what I'm suggesting is a short turn.....

3) Gettin rid of that stop over there on east 5th on EB B35's wont make a difference.... I think that LTD stop only exists, so that you wont have ppl. crossing ocean pkwy (well, prospect expwy) tryna get to that side of church, from the LTD stop on east 7th....

AFAIC, the Bedford LTD stop they can do away with, if they were to consider eliminating stops.... can't see a case for eliminating the Kings Hwy & NY av stops...

But even if they resorted to eliminating stops in general[/i]), the effort would be futile...

That not a nice thing to say Transitmaster. And you want a carrer as a transit planner. You underestimate the importance seniors and disabled use (MTA) and other transit services. Heard of the American Disabilities Act? If you want 'speed' get a car that fuel efficent. It's these off the wall comments why many of the others on the boards strongly dislike your comments/views.:tdown:

as offensive as it was it was true I am just honest I won't sugar coat it. To tell the truth I think MTA in the long term should invest in making more stations ADA accessible so duplicate routes won't be needed. The plans I make deeply connect routes and link them to other modes in such a way that merges routes and decreases travel time and prevents service cuts due to ridership travel path manipulation and highway manipulation of travel paths. I am aware of the disabilities act the plans I make indirectly benefit even that group my (NON NYC) I am very close to completion just need direction that's all.

I am tame not extreme like some others here. The MTA is a slow bus system in general and none of their routes except really short lines can merge. In most cases slight extension via a streamlined travel path to a major transfer point.

1)That's fine for the B100... but I still think there should be some saturday service on the B2....

2) AFAIC, the Bedford LTD stop they can do away with, if they were to consider eliminating stops.... can't see a case for eliminating the Kings Hwy & NY av stops...

But even if they resorted to eliminating stops in general[/i]), the effort would be futile...

1) Well, that's your right...

2) My logic was that Kings Highway is close to Utica Avenue and Ralph Avenue (and I can't picture a lot of riders wanting the B7), and NY Avenue is near Nostrand Avenue.

The idea was to make it like the B38, sort of, where it only transfers to each route in one direction (with one exception. I think it's the B44)

as offensive as it was it was true I am just honest I won't sugar coat it. To tell the truth I think MTA in the long term should invest in making more stations ADA accessible so duplicate routes won't be needed. The plans I make deeply connect routes and link them to other modes in such a way that merges routes and decreases travel time and prevents service cuts due to ridership travel path manipulation and highway manipulation of travel paths. I am aware of the disabilities act the plans I make indirectly benefit even that group my (NON NYC) I am very close to completion just need direction that's all.

I am tame not extreme like some others here. The MTA is a slow bus system in general and none of their routes except really short lines can merge. In most cases slight extension via a streamlined travel path to a major transfer point.

I do agree with them making stations ADA accessable, but there would still be demand (though not necessarily a need) for surface transit. If you're making a short trip, it's a lot easier (and often faster) to just walk on and walk off the bus than it is to go up and down to reach the subway.

This is gonna be one rather long post, and I got TTK right now....

Didn't check anyone else's post in this thread, so you may see something already suggested (which is a good thing)....

Ok bro(B35). Overall great suggestions in which i agree with most of them. My replies in red.

Brooklyn:

B1- no loss in service, same headways... However, the schedule needs to be altered to match service levels.... especially/specifically during the afternoon hours (leaving KCC)...

I would also suggest to the TA, that overnight headways on this route should be every 20-30 minutes.

B2- restore saturday service, at the VERY least....

Agreed. Run at least every 15 minutes most of day on Saturdays and every 30 minutes until ending IMO at around 11pm. Not sure if Sunday service is needed as i have not rode on this route in about 4-5 years.

B3- some WB runs start at that stop over there by 86th/stillwell

(guess it's more like 85th, it's before you hit a gas station... it's a shared stop w/ the B4 ON stillwell)....

Instead during rush hours 'short turn B3's' would start/end at the East 16th/Ave U (Q) station. Unless it changed in last couple of years, I remember living for years in SW Brooklyn most of the ridership was between CI Avenue and Kings Plaza.

B4- in Bay Ridge, truncate it to 77th st (R)...

also, restore Sheepshead Bay service - all of it... all times !

Preaching to the chior bro on this one.

Not listed but a suggestion. Also why not increase overnight headways on the (B6) to every 30 minutes between 1-5am.

B7- midday service eliminated, runs the "full" route from CI/Quentin to B'way/Halsey (no kings hwy/f'bush short turns), NB service towards B'way/Halsey moved to Rockaway av (instead of T.S. boyland)...

I don't understand. Do you want to scrap midday service weekdays? In other words make this a rush hour only route?

B8- service restored to 95th st (R), all times...

also, have AM short turns towards bay ridge beginning @ utica/Av D....

Agree. Weekdays until around 9pm I would still have other (short turn) B8's start/end at the VA Hosptial..

B11- service around lutheran restructured...

* lutheran bound buses continue along 4th av, to 60th st, to 2nd av, to 53rd st, to 1st av (and layover)

* f'bush junction bound buses turn off 53rd st, to 1st, to 58th st, to 4th av, to 50th st, then regular route...

No problem with this 'minor' change.

B13- those turns onto etna & hemlock, eliminated.... that alone adds 3-5 mins on the SB B13

Ok.

B15- since they're resorting to have more of those "combined" runs run (serving postal fac AND JFK), a overall headway decrease is warranted.... however, the number of runs stopping dead at the postal fac. becomes a little less....

Personally, I would advocate for 15's to go back to only having early morning weekend runs do the combined routing... and have 1/2 the runs serve JFK, and the other half serve the postal fac. (or w/e the old ratio was)....

Agreed. Plus maybe add a peak-hour 'limited' as well.

B16- route restructure & truncation....

1) straightened along ft hamilton pkwy to serve the (D) @ ft. hamilton pkwy....

* bay ridge buses turn UP 36th (from 12th av), and then a left on ft hamilton pkwy

* prspct-leffrts gdns buses turn on 39th st (from ft hamilton pkwy), and then a left on 12th av

2) truncated to Parkside av (Q)

I agree with the "B16" staying on Ft Hamilton giving Maimonies Hopstial for first time a direct 'north-south' bus. I disagree with shorting it to Parkside. The "B16' also provides a 1-fare ride between Bay Ridge/Boro Park and Crown Heights/Bed Stuvy/Bushwick via the "B43" transfer. What bus serves 13th/14th Avenues in Boro Park?

B17- instead of only paerdegat buses directly serving the (L) (Rockaway Pkwy)... some (maybe about a handful) AM peak only buses leaving Seaview/E. 108th ALSO directly serves the (L)....

Ok.

B20- short turns still remain....

the full route however, truncated to run up/down forest av... pretty much aids ppl in that general area the Q39 serves, south of myrtle, in gettin to the (M)... let the B13 handle putnam/67th & Fresh Pond.... most NB B20 riders that are still on the bus past wyckoff, get off at that stop on myrtle/decatur....

also, rerouted to serve New Lots av (3) via the linden houses/pj's..

You sure the residents along the pj's(forgot name of them) along Wortman not be upset losing the "B20?"

B35- LTD service aint helping... too many closely spaced LTD stops... I mean, scheduling them to meet up w/ the short turns @ Mcdonald is moot, b/c w/e bus is in "front" at E. 18th (for the most part) will remain so, until utica, most times.....

This is your bread and butter 'home' line so you know this better than anyone Bro. The only way the "B35" limited should continue would be to create a Bus only lane like Manhattan's 1/2nd Avenues for Church IMO.

B36- no loss in service, same headways..... however, some'n gotta give w/ how buses on this route are scheduled... there's no reason buses on this route should be bunching the way they do....

B39- revived, but at higher off-peak headways...

I still say this should be a weekday-only route. Maybe also change the routing in Manhattan as Cait suggested..

B45- service increase during peak hrs; ~every 8-10 mins instead of 10-12...

Not to mention restore hourly overnight service. And maybe an extension to the Liberty/Penn (A)(C) station to serve those pj's (forgot name of them) on Liberty that the old "B40' use to serve.

B47- schedule adjustment (which would yield a bit of a service increase); runs ~ every 10 mins except during late nights/early morning hrs...

B48- service restoration b/w Prospect park (:P(Q)(S) & Fulton st...

At least every day until 12 Midnight.

also, every other bus serves the industry over on Meeker... and every other bus stops dead @ Nassau av (G)

{@ that shared stop on that short block over on manhattan/bedford}

B51- revived, but runs during peak hrs. only...

B57- few things:

1) reverted to terminate in downtown brooklyn...

2) route moved/altered to serve park av b/w navy st & throop/tompkins (remains on flushing av east of throop)

3) truncated to end ON metropolitan av (around the corner from the met. av B38's)...

4) off-peak service would be decreased a bit to run every 20-30 mins (peak headways will remain the same)....

Bro one of the very few i disagree. It should continue to serve Maspeth for connecting to the (Q58) (Q59). Not to mention it much faster than taking the (B38) (B54) (B26) (B52) connecting Bushwick/Ridgewood to Downtown Brooklyn. Second i think the Downtown area terminal for the (B57) should be around Columbia/Atlantic the "B61"terminal to serve LIU College Hopstial.

B61- outside of service b/w 10pm-5am, buses should be running on 10 min. headways all day.... they struck oil with this route & they're treatin it like vinegar...

I would extend the terminal to Church Ave/McDonald to help out the B67..

B62- can't believe what I'm about to say here, but rescind "direct" service to WBP....

the meandering to serve it, hasn't made the anticipated/expected difference ....

Have not been on the "B62" since it was the old "B61." I would just leave it alone it provide a connection to important Bus hub/terminal area.

B64- at the VERY least, move buses back to Mermaid terminal...

I agree 100%.

B67- revert to pre june-2010 service levels...

OK.

B69- route alteration....

1) truncated to Ft. Greene (carlton av/park av)

2) @ grand army plz, uses old B71 routing to get to smith st & court st (respectively)....

3) ends at smith-9th st (F)(G)

...runs every 20 mins, all day

Only issue is that Carroll Gardens residents want a full length north-south bus line along Court/Smith Sts. A better idea IMO would be to extend the "B51" and end it at 4th Ave/9th Street station.While the "B69" should just end at Prospect Park West/19th Street.

B82- LTD service span increase... if you're gonna throw LTD's on the route, may as well run more of 'em throughout the day.

Agreed. It should run all day at least on weekdays.

B83- buses moved off van siclen b/w wortman & new lots av.... Instead, buses would run along penn b/w that stretch...

I would still have a "B83a' to serve Van Sicklen at least during weekdays. Plus this route should become an overnight route as well but it terminates at Spring Creek/Starret late nights instead of Gateway.

any questions, go head and ask....

Replies in red.

I agree with Shortline bus.

Qjtrainjmaster, pretend if you're person who has heart problem and they cannot use stairs on non ADA Station, so what would you do? Taking subway is not option for people who cannot uses stairs due to heart problem or walkers.

Little off-topic, but relative don't you remember Greg Mocker reported problem about elevator problem at 161st St (4)(:P(D) which force wheelchair bound lady to get help from strangers to get to/from downstairs.

Back to topic, that's reason there are buses parells subway lines.

so basically what you're implying is that bus service along 7th & 8th avs are worthless.... everyone in manhattan aint tryna catch a train....

Yes, there's a decent elderly riderbase on the M10 & M20... I'll even concur with the point about expecting "speed" on manhattan's routes....

However, the M20 is not a tourist route.... and you're starting to get them on the M10 because it stops dead at columbus circle; a tourist attraction.....

...and why in the world would you even bother to waste time in posting ideas out of your ass.... I don't know if I should even give you credit for (finally) admitting that, or look down on you even further for even having mentioned that.....

Q23CentralTerm, you do know why the M20 was created, right? It was split from the M10 in 1999 to combat the problems it had as a result of running all the way from 159th St to Battery Park City. The M10 shouldn't have been cut back to Columbus Circle, but make it too long and you're just re-creating the same unreliability and other problems that the M20 was created to alleviate.

Good way of putting it.

The M14A is one hell of a high ridership route to & from Abingdon Square. If you're gonna get rid of that, you are killing off one of the main reasons why the M14A gains high ridership in the first place.

lol @ the opening statement...

Even if I didn't know anything about 14th av, I would still dismiss that suggestion, based on the notion that very few (what I call) 'L' shaped routes work well in a grid system....

In this case, especially with how far north the M10 comes from.... he's talkin about bus service from 159th to 14th/8th.... then from 14th/8th to delancey via 14th st - all on one route....

No way....

Within the apt. complexes in Parkchester itself; by that I mean Met Oval.... The rosedale stop gets good usage too.... of the 3, I'd say the WPR stop is the least used (but not to be overlooked).... Even though they got the bx4a, it seems to me like there was a bit of a spike on bxm6 usage when the bx14 got discontinued....

To add to what checkmate already said.....

White flight already happened... the apt. complexes w/i Parkchester is not predominantly white anymore; asians, blacks, and hispanics already done moved in.... middle easterners also done made their mark.... As checkmate already alluded to me saying prior, the bxm6 has a significant black riderbase (which even surprised me, the first few times I fanned that route)... You'll have the old time/long time residents of the complexes tell you that the outsiders done took over...

* FYI, the neighborhood of parkchester (sans the apt. complex) was & still is predominantly hispanic....

1) Well, that's your right...

2) My logic was that Kings Highway is close to Utica Avenue and Ralph Avenue (and I can't picture a lot of riders wanting the B7), and NY Avenue is near Nostrand Avenue.

The idea was to make it like the B38, sort of, where it only transfers to each route in one direction (with one exception. I think it's the B44)

1) as replacing B2's w/ an altered B100 is yours.....

2) I understood why you chose the stops you did....

anyway, yeah, don't no one (referring to residents) have a real need for the B7 round here... only thing keeping that route alive between flatbush av & ocean hill/brownsville itself, is schoolkids.... There's a direct reflection of that, when you notice B7 weekend usage south of church... It's been like that for as long as I been living..... BrooklynBus or Trainmaster can tell you if B7 usage was like that or not, before the 80's....

Even if I didn't know anything about 14th av, I would still dismiss that suggestion, based on the notion that very few (what I call) 'L' shaped routes work well in a grid system....

In this case, especially with how far north the M10 comes from.... he's talkin about bus service from 159th to 14th/8th.... then from 14th/8th to delancey via 14th st - all on one route....

I think you mean 14th St, not 14th Av.

But a perfect example of a failed L-shaped route would be the M31. There's not enough buses running on the route to begin with, plus they always bunch up on York because the traffic on 57th isn't always consistently the same. I forget, but how was the M104 L-shaped route when it went to the UN? Those are the only two L-shaped routes I can think of (M86 doesn't really count).

Archived