How Would You Implement/Fix Bus Service...

gtNovaBusRTS9369

Directed at ShortlineBus:

* Replying to: http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=495947&postcount=72

Instead during rush hours 'short turn B3's' would start/end at the East 16th/Ave U station. Unless it changed in last couple of years, I remember living for years in SW Brooklyn most of the ridership was between CI Avenue and Kings Plaza.

between the subway station & bergen beach... nah, I wouldn't go that far....

I don't understand. Do you want to scrap midday service weekdays? In other words make this a rush hour only route?

yes.

I agree with the "B16" staying on Ft Hamilton giving Maimonies Hopstial for first time a direct 'north-south' bus. I disagree with shorting it to Parkside. The "B16' also provides a 1-fare ride between Bay Ridge/Boro Park and Crown Heights/Bed Stuvy/Bushwick via the "B43" transfer.

What bus serves 13th/14th Avenues in Boro Park?

a revival of the B23.... but I omitted that b/c OP asked we not list fantasy routes.....

You sure the residents along the pj's(forgot name of them) along Wortman not be upset losing the "B20?"

Those are the penn-wortman AND the linden houses...

Anyway, I don't see why they would be upset - Those folks generally aren't heading towards ENY... as far as wortman, east of van siclen, let them walk through/around the linden houses & catch the B6 @ ashford.... Some riders already do that; part of which is why the B6 still retains crowds b/w rockaway pkwy (L) & the new lots station itself.....

This is your bread and butter 'home' line so you know this better than anyone Bro. The only way the "B35" limited should continue would be to create a Bus only lane like Manhattan's 1/2nd Avenues for Church IMO.

banning parking on church... don't see it happening, but it is an option....

bus lane on church = the dollar cab express.... you'll have undercovers staking out, lookin to hand out tickets like nobody bizz.....

Not to mention restore hourly overnight service. And maybe an extension to the Liberty/Penn station to serve those pj's (forgot name of them) on Liberty that the old "B40' use to serve.

if you mean the same ones the B12 serves, those are the howard houses....

I don't know if I would bother extending the B45... but if I did, it would be to broadway junction & b'way junction only....

Bro one of the very few i disagree. It should continue to serve Maspeth for connecting to the Q58/59. Not to mention it much faster than taking the 26/38/52/54 connecting Bushwick/Ridgewood to Downtown Brooklyn.

Second i think the Downtown area terminal for the 57 should be around Columbia/Atlantic the "B61" terminal to serve LIU College Hopstial.

Rigdewoodians hardly take the 57...

I think it's time to go another direction w/ that route... serves too many dead areas... AEMoreira IINM, had a plan that had the 57 ending at woodhull.... The only reason I would keep the 57 intact east of broadway is for coverage.... You would think a connection to the Q58/59 would be important, but it doesn't seem to be so for the 57....

As far as where it should terminate in downtown, doesn't really matter AFAIC... but the current 57 (panning from gowanus to maspeth) is just a waste of resources....

Only issue is that Carroll Gardens residents want a full length north-south bus line along Court/Smith Sts. A better idea IMO would be to extend the "B51" and end it at 4th Ave/9th Street station.While the "B69" should just end at Prospect Park West/19th Street.

...then you would compromise the "B51"; since you tend to favor that idea of mine, havin it go to BMCC....

I can't think of anything else to do w/ the 69.... but keeping it paralleling the 67 south of flatbush, aint it....

I would still have a "B83a' to serve Van Sicklen at least during weekdays. Plus this route should become an overnight route as well but it terminates at Spring Creek/Starret late nights instead of Gateway.

the only alternate 83 service I would have, are the 83's that'd run the length of penn (meaning, no vandalia, no wortman)...

Thanks for the reply.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But a perfect example of a failed L-shaped route would be the M31. There's not enough buses running on the route to begin with, plus they always bunch up on York because the traffic on 57th isn't always consistently the same. I forget, but how was the M104 L-shaped route when it went to the UN? Those are the only two L-shaped routes I can think of (M86 doesn't really count).

I do and dont disagree. The bunching I agree with, but thats because of the traffic at 57th Street. I dont agree with the amount of buses running on the M31, the schedule doesnt make it seem as if more buses are necessary, but at the same token, they have a tendency to run artics from time to time and that scratches 1 RTS off the line considering that an artic technically does the work of two buses. I'm on the fence with the amount of buses because there are two separate issues regarding it. It's just terrible when they throw the NG Hybrids on the M31.....

The M104 was a hit & miss when it went to/from the U.N. At times you'd get a nice load, other times its just incredibly empty. They were indeed much faster and reliable than the M42.

If you want speed you will use subway or taxi or you will find a way. Don't use manhattan buses and expect speed. They are nursing homes on wheels. The youngest ppl on M20/10 you will see are in their 50s or are tourists. again I have no route modding plans for mta routes other than SI and a few express in queens to increase ridership. Only the few speed based ones are my real ideas the rest are out of my ass. Riding the M10/20 is too depressing for me lol it's like a hospital on wheels nothing but old ppl and disabled ppl.

I have a problem with that first statement. While that statement for the most part is true, not every route is slow. Nursing homes on wheels? Get real...

The M10/20 post though, you're right. Most of the old folk get off at Battery Park on that M20. I cant say much for the M10, had no reason to check out the line...

Shockingly enough, I finally had a fast M20 driver a few days ago....blew my mind.....

I think you mean 14th St, not 14th Av.

But a perfect example of a failed L-shaped route would be the M31. There's not enough buses running on the route to begin with, plus they always bunch up on York because the traffic on 57th isn't always consistently the same. I forget, but how was the M104 L-shaped route when it went to the UN? Those are the only two L-shaped routes I can think of (M86 doesn't really count).

yes, I meant 14th st... thanks for the correction.

The M31 & the M104 were the routes I was thinking of, as I was replying....

I agree w/ you about the M31 (I've always noticed more 57's than 31's)....

M104's leaving the UN came at a timelier rate than M42's (M42 service was rather sparse at times if you ask me, regardless of the posted headways... at times, you'd have thought the M104 was the only 42nd st crosstown)... Subsequently (meaning, post june 2010), M42 service has gotten somewhat better than what it was prior.... Still has the same problems along 42nd though, that's not goin away....

What CaitSith is referring to, are the M104's heading towards the UN.... you'd get emptier 104's b/c 42's would beat the 104 to the punch, picking up the masses at the stops along 42nd...

I agree with Shortline bus.

Qjtrainjmaster, pretend if you're person who has heart problem and they cannot use stairs on non ADA Station, so what would you do? Taking subway is not option for people who cannot uses stairs due to heart problem or walkers.

Little off-topic, but relative don't you remember Greg Mocker reported problem about elevator problem at 161st St (4)(:P(D) which force wheelchair bound lady to get help from strangers to get to/from downstairs.

Back to topic, that's reason there are buses parells subway lines.

I would use faster buses like M5 or M11 the M10 is straight up slower than joggers that is embarrassing. There are NOT enough of them heart problem ppl to keep the M10/20 full after a certain hour after a certain time there is like 3 ppl or just nothing but AIR on that bus won't sugar code it I will always tell the truth it is what it is. Off topic a certain express bus I used it and the so called elderly and disabled ppl you speak of couldn't find em. The BXM4 I will stand by my point it has no business on the concourse period I think a local bus should do that plain and simple the ridership is not there nor is the revenue to keep it slow. I will NOT argue with you further I will always look to satisfy the masses even at the expense of the few who have no options by your logic pfft plz not buying it. I'd in a heartbeat take 50 new riders over 10 riders any day REGARDLESS of their situation. If I have to sacrifice 3 ppl from a route to gain 30 additional riders I don't care so be it I'd do it. And modify another rte with limited trips on the locals into manhattan done. get over it but you won't I won't even bother answering any further what if questions take it up with someone who is interested. I know I sound like an ass sometimes but I will always keep it real even if it offends after all it is MASS TRANSIT

@cait WTF M20 that is fast HOLY SHIT HELL FROZE OVER. But then again I am not surprised as express buses that use the same streets are shockingly very fast however as crazy as this sounds revenue can increase if the express lines had 5 open door stops within manhattan each very spread out from each other to maintain speed but all other stops unchanged. DK if it can work but who knows maybe it can help a few ppl

If you want speed you will use subway or taxi or you will find a way. Don't use manhattan buses and expect speed. They are nursing homes on wheels. The youngest ppl on M20/10 you will see are in their 50s or are tourists. again I have no route modding plans for mta routes other than SI and a few express in queens to increase ridership. Only the few speed based ones are my real ideas the rest are out of my ass. Riding the M10/20 is too depressing for me lol it's like a hospital on wheels nothing but old ppl and disabled ppl.

For the part in bold:

That's about 98% of the shit you let come out of it in here and that might be too generous. SMH

For the part in bold:

That's about 98% of the shit you let come out of it in here and that might be too generous. SMH

Well I never let out details about any of my transit proposals that is why you barely know me. Besides pablo M told me not to reveal my full plans here. In addition the former MTA chairman Steve kessler gave similar warnings and told me to start small and not let out too much info.

98% yeah that is complete bullshit watch your tone when you talk with me.

Well I never let out details about any of my transit proposals that is why you barely know me. Besides pablo M told me not to reveal my full plans here. In addition the former MTA chairman Steve kessler gave similar warnings and told me to start small and not let out too much info.

OOOOOO, we're scared

You do realize that he works for the MTA as a Train Conductor, right?

so what that still doesn't give him the clearance to talk shit. I don't care who you are got it talk that crap with someone who cares got it. I prefer civilized conversation not flame shit flame someone who actually has that patience cause I don't

so what that still doesn't give him the clearance to talk shit. I don't care who you are got it talk that crap with someone who cares got it. I prefer civilized conversation not flame shit flame someone who actually has that patience cause I don't
Which of course, you obviously lack. Also, Princelex wasn't "talking shit", he was being honest. If you can't handle the heat, you should step out of the kitchen.

On another note, what does "qj" stand for? :confused:

you will know soon enough I have plans for the future I am just about done mining data. you will learn why I named it that way and I am about finished just need to type up everything then send em but I will start with one of em first I have a few final questions that still need answering

I do and dont disagree. The bunching I agree with, but thats because of the traffic at 57th Street. I dont agree with the amount of buses running on the M31, the schedule doesnt make it seem as if more buses are necessary, but at the same token, they have a tendency to run artics from time to time and that scratches 1 RTS off the line considering that an artic technically does the work of two buses. I'm on the fence with the amount of buses because there are two separate issues regarding it. It's just terrible when they throw the NG Hybrids on the M31.....

The arctics are canceled out by those buses that have luggage racks. It eliminates quite a few seats and standing room, and often times I'll see people either be leaning on it or just flat out sitting on top of it on the crowded part on 57th Street.

The arctics are canceled out by those buses that have luggage racks. It eliminates quite a few seats and standing room, and often times I'll see people either be leaning on it or just flat out sitting on top of it on the crowded part on 57th Street.

I agree... I think more service is needed on the M31. The M57s are much more frequent, but they don't serve Yorkville. A few weeks ago I had to stop on 57th and 6th at the Verizon store and then waited to go over to Lex and 57th to pick up a few dress shirts at Bloomingdales that I purchased and had waiting for me. Once M31 came packed. I waited for that bus and a M57 to pass before I boarded a bus. The next M31 wasn't nearly as crowded, but he wasn't doing anything really to help even the load, so the buses in front were packed beyond belief. Either run more M31s or run more artics on the line. Folks in Yorkville and the Upper East Side are called snobs, but they use their service.

I agree... I think more service is needed on the M31. The M57s are much more frequent, but they don't serve Yorkville. A few weeks ago I had to stop on 57th and 6th at the Verizon store and then waited to go over to Lex and 57th to pick up a few dress shirts at Bloomingdales that I purchased and had waiting for me. Once M31 came packed. I waited for that bus and a M57 to pass before I boarded a bus. The next M31 wasn't nearly as crowded, but he wasn't doing anything really to help even the load, so the buses in front were packed beyond belief. Either run more M31s or run more artics on the line. Folks in Yorkville and the Upper East Side are called snobs, but they use their service.

Not only that (M31) having all artics (sorry i always felt that the M79 does not need them)but i always felt that the (M31) should have hourly overnight service as well. Never could undertstand how a major crosstown area like

57th Street does not have a 24/7 bus line.

Oh my god you should've seen how it was yesterday during the Marathon. I walked down York and there were about 15-20 people waiting for the M31 or a cab, whichever would come first, at every bus stop I passed going southbound, and more than normal going northbound. It was our only bus route yesterday and barely any cabs came up York.

But yes, the M31 definitely needs an increase in service, especially during rush hour, or make it 100% arctics. During rush hour it's usually SRO on York Avenue, and forget about it on 57th. Also outside of rush hour service needs to be increased because they ALWAYS bunch up and I often see two or three practically one behind the other going up York empty.

--

Another thing that I'm annoyed at is that they stopped skip stop on westbound crosstown buses during the AM rush. They still have it on the M79 during the PM rush but it would definitely help out in the morning because a bus can easily get stuck at a stop for 3+ lights because an endless stream of people come on, and they're always SRO after they leave 1st Avenue.

I dont think this would help out a lot but what would happen if I said the following:

M31: Discontiuned

M57: Extend to 92 street/York Avenue via York Avenue, 57 street, and West End Avenue.The M31/M57 would be combined under the M57 label. The buses would run at current M57 levels. After 10 pm, service on York Avenue would be every third bus, since people dont use the buses after 10 pm a lot.

I dont think this would help out a lot but what would happen if I said the following:

M57: Extend to 92 street/York Avenue via York Avenue, 57 street, and West End Avenue.The M31/M57 would be combined under the M57 label. The buses would run at current M57 levels. After 10 pm, service on York Avenue would be every third bus, since people dont use the buses after 10 pm a lot.

no comment don't live there but there is no way gorgor or anyone there will go for it

look at the M57 and the M31 closely then you will know why it won't work. You are making a U shaped route in manhattan that is a unreliable line waiting to happen

No good. There's a reason why the (M31) and the (M57) exist. One serves the East Side, the other serves the West Side. Combining them is a bad idea. I'm going to say this until I'm blue in the face

No good. There's a reason why the (M31) and the (M57) exist. One serves the East Side, the other serves the West Side. Combining them is a bad idea. I'm going to say this until I'm blue in the face

we get it it's a bad idea looking at the map alone will show why its a bad idea o well. Lets stick to 100% arctic line on M31

You are in no position to be telling someone to watch their tone, YOU need to watch your tone. If you can't be civil, shut the f*ck up! Don't act like you were going to do something because you know damn well you ain't gonna do shit.

My Proposal: Part 2

The Bronx

Bx1/BX2:All limited buses operate to Riverdale as Bx1 LTD( as an interborough limited), while the locals operate as Bx2 Local until 231 street, with Bx2 service to go on Lincoln Avenue instead of Third Avenue

Bx3: Run Artics used on the Bx1. Too overcrowded during most Periods of day.

Bx40/Bx42 Restructure:Bx40 operates as a limited, while the Bx42 operates local. In the process, selected Q44 buses can be extended to 3 Ave and E. Tremont Avenue

Bx27: Eliminated , route is too damaged period.

Bx35: Combined with Bx27 to Classons Point

BxM7: Buses rerouted to operate local through Jervis Avenue and Bruckner Boulevard Sections

BxM8: City Island trips remain, local via BxM8 current route.

Staten Island

S54: Restructure Headways during off peak hours to headways being twice more frequent during middays and evenings.

S53/S93: S53 should have a limited counterpart it's WHOLE route, NOT just a PARTIAL section of the route if better connections are to be established. S93 SHOULD BE rerouted near Bay Ridge after getting of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge (I'm not saying to reroute it to the V.A Hospital)

S78: Service rerouted In Grasmere from Hylan Boulevard the full way to just go from Hylan Boulevard to Stuben Street back unto Hylan Boulevard since the travel path in that area has high traffic.:)

Hope these aren't drastic cuts but a fix to the the system.

Combining them wouldn't work at all. Having headways at 10+ minutes all day?!?!? That's just absolutely ridiculous. Right now they should really make it 4-5 minutes during rush hour, 7-8 minutes midday or 100% arctics. If headways are too high, like they are now, residents (including me) on York will just take a cab and not even bother with the bus.

Archived