My week in NYC

keysersoze

Hi altogether,

I just came back from a 7-day stay in NYC. What can I say, it was great! :cool: I spent most of the time railfanning, of course, with a bit of busfanning here and there.

I railfanned the complete IND standing at the railfan window (with exception of the (G)), was amazed to see that the (B) still is Slants galore (minimum of 6 Slant sets on the tracks every day), and I even saw an R-32 set on the (R) one day during AM rush (though I didn't get to ride it myself). The (F) still has several R-32 rush hour put-ins and it was never hard to catch an R-42 on the (A).

I also saw 4 different garbage trains and 6 different work trains during my stay, as well as the filming of the new Pelham movie going on between Church and Ditmas Ave on the Culver (with R-142 cars being used), and much more great stuff I never would've expected. I was literally in transit heaven, my dream world! B)

Of course, there's tons of pics and vids I took, three 1 GB cards are filled up to the last byte. I will select the best stuff in the next days and post it here especially for you! B)

There's one really big bummer though: how railfans/busfans are getting harassed for what we're doing. Here's what I encountered in the past 7 days:

- first day, getting on an Orion VII and trying to take an interior shot. Driver yells at me, "Excuse me Sir, you're not supposed to be taking pictures of transit property" - what a good start. I said "Alright", sat down and got my bus shots some other day.

- also first day, 145th St on the IND. I'm hanging around the lower level terminal during midday, taking interior shots of an R-40M. 2 conductors get on the train and one goes, "Are you just somebody who's interested in transit? We need to know, because there's a rule about photography because of terrorism". I said I'm just railfanning and the conductors then left me alone without further comment, so I went going on taking my shots and waited for the next Slant set to come by. 5 minutes later, I had 2 undercover cops standing next to me and questioning me for about 5 mins. The cops were, however, friendly and correct.

- fifth day, Euclid Ave on the IND. Taking shots of the R-38 cars on the (C) while waiting for an R-42 (A) to go back into Manhattan. A uniformed cop comes up to me, tells me MTA personnel got nervous because of me taking pics and informed the cops. He checked my ID and had to smile when I explained I'm just railfanning. He was also correct and friendly.

- but the last day really pushed it to the top. I luckily caught one of the garbage trains at 125th St, so I took some shots - as always, without flash, without photographing MTA employees, and without standing in their way while they moved the trash containers. I followed the garbage train downtown to 59th St and positioned myself to take a video shot of the train pulling out of 59th St. So the train starts to roll but the motorman stops where I stand, opens his cab window and starts yelling at me, "What's the matter with you, stop taking pictures of other people, go take pictures of yourself!" I told him in a calm way I'm not taking pictures of him and he got the train rolling again, but suddenly it stopped again and now the redbird with the working crew was stopped next to me. Back door of the redbird flys open, crew member starts yelling at me: "You're not supposed to be taking pictures of transit property (oh well, I think I've heard that one before). We already saw you at 125th. And I'm telling you just in case you didn't know, it's illegal to take pictures and I could call you in for that". Door slams shut, train moving out. She actually said "illegal".

Wow, so what was wrong with that train crew? Bad day? Generally hating railfans? I'm thinking of filing a written complaint against that train crew to the MTA. They should be given some lessons on the MTA rules of conduct as well as on in what manner to talk to MTA customers financing their salary through paying the fare. That really somehow ruined my last evening of an otherwise great stay. Motorman and train crew yelling at me in front of lots of other people, what a great embarrassment. Plus they messed up my video shot which would've been totally great!

So, if any of you should be so lucky as to catch this redbird garbage train - beware of the crew!

Still, I have to say most of the MTA employees I met were friendly. Most didn't mind me taking pictures, some friendly waved and smiled at me, some explained some stuff to me, e.g. how the hybrid buses works. So, a great "thank you" to the nice part of the MTA staff!

Sorry you had those run ins with cops and transit employees telling you otherwise about photography. Good to hear the police officers were kind. The employees were wrong in saying photography was not allowed.

But glad to hear you had a good time once again in NYC. Come back soon! Can't wait to see your pictures.

The employees were wrong in saying photography was not allowed.

That's right. The (MTA) wanted to make it illegal a few years back, but they dropped the matter. It's OK if you're not using flash or any extra equipment. Good thing the cops knew that, but apparently TA needs to inform its own workers of that rule.

Hi altogether,

I just came back from a 7-day stay in NYC. What can I say, it was great! :cool: I spent most of the time railfanning, of course, with a bit of busfanning here and there.

I railfanned the complete IND standing at the railfan window (with exception of the (G)), was amazed to see that the (:D still is Slants galore (minimum of 6 Slant sets on the tracks every day), and I even saw an R-32 set on the (R) one day during AM rush (though I didn't get to ride it myself). The (F) still has several R-32 rush hour put-ins and it was never hard to catch an R-42 on the (A).

I also saw 4 different garbage trains and 6 different work trains during my stay, as well as the filming of the new Pelham movie going on between Church and Ditmas Ave on the Culver (with R-142 cars being used), and much more great stuff I never would've expected. I was literally in transit heaven, my dream world! :P

Of course, there's tons of pics and vids I took, three 1 GB cards are filled up to the last byte. I will select the best stuff in the next days and post it here especially for you! :D

There's one really big bummer though: how railfans/busfans are getting harassed for what we're doing. Here's what I encountered in the past 7 days:

- first day, getting on an Orion VII and trying to take an interior shot. Driver yells at me, "Excuse me Sir, you're not supposed to be taking pictures of transit property" - what a good start. I said "Alright", sat down and got my bus shots some other day.

- also first day, 145th St on the IND. I'm hanging around the lower level terminal during midday, taking interior shots of an R-40M. 2 conductors get on the train and one goes, "Are you just somebody who's interested in transit? We need to know, because there's a rule about photography because of terrorism". I said I'm just railfanning and the conductors then left me alone without further comment, so I went going on taking my shots and waited for the next Slant set to come by. 5 minutes later, I had 2 undercover cops standing next to me and questioning me for about 5 mins. The cops were, however, friendly and correct.

- fifth day, Euclid Ave on the IND. Taking shots of the R-38 cars on the (C) while waiting for an R-42 (A) to go back into Manhattan. A uniformed cop comes up to me, tells me MTA personnel got nervous because of me taking pics and informed the cops. He checked my ID and had to smile when I explained I'm just railfanning. He was also correct and friendly.

- but the last day really pushed it to the top. I luckily caught one of the garbage trains at 125th St, so I took some shots - as always, without flash, without photographing MTA employees, and without standing in their way while they moved the trash containers. I followed the garbage train downtown to 59th St and positioned myself to take a video shot of the train pulling out of 59th St. So the train starts to roll but the motorman stops where I stand, opens his cab window and starts yelling at me, "What's the matter with you, stop taking pictures of other people, go take pictures of yourself!" I told him in a calm way I'm not taking pictures of him and he got the train rolling again, but suddenly it stopped again and now the redbird with the working crew was stopped next to me. Back door of the redbird flys open, crew member starts yelling at me: "You're not supposed to be taking pictures of transit property (oh well, I think I've heard that one before). We already saw you at 125th. And I'm telling you just in case you didn't know, it's illegal to take pictures and I could call you in for that". Door slams shut, train moving out. She actually said "illegal".

Wow, so what was wrong with that train crew? Bad day? Generally hating railfans? I'm thinking of filing a written complaint against that train crew to the MTA. They should be given some lessons on the MTA rules of conduct as well as on in what manner to talk to MTA customers financing their salary through paying the fare. That really somehow ruined my last evening of an otherwise great stay. Motorman and train crew yelling at me in front of lots of other people, what a great embarrassment. Plus they messed up my video shot which would've been totally great!

So, if any of you should be so lucky as to catch this redbird garbage train - beware of the crew!

Still, I have to say most of the MTA employees I met were friendly. Most didn't mind me taking pictures, some friendly waved and smiled at me, some explained some stuff to me, e.g. how the hybrid buses works. So, a great "thank you" to the nice part of the MTA staff!

The 4PM ®omeo put in out of 36th St in Brooklyn is almost always an R32..

That's right. The (MTA) wanted to make it illegal a few years back, but they dropped the matter. It's OK if you're not using flash or any extra equipment. Good thing the cops knew that, but apparently TA needs to inform its own workers of that rule.

Cops don't know either. Many cops think photography is illegal.

Where is this printout of the rules? I need it VERY bad........

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm#restricted

# Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part.

Archived