OPINION PIECE: All transit, mass & otherwise, should be FREE on Election Day every year.

Santa Fe via Willow

I think every Election Day, nationwide, ALL transit should be FREE. Just for this one day a year. NO fares &/or tolls the whole 24 hours of Election Day, from the Day's start at 12:00am to the Day's end at 11:59pm.

The reasoning, rationale behind this being:

* A way for TPTB to give back to the communities.

* A way to help ENSURE folks can & will get to the polls unimpeded. At least as far as fares & tolls go anyway.

Just a thought.

I think every Election Day, nationwide, ALL transit should be FREE. Just for this one day a year. NO fares &/or tolls the whole 24 hours of Election Day, from the Day's start at 12:00am to the Day's end at 11:59pm.

The reasoning, rationale behind this being:

* A way for TPTB to give back to the communities.

* A way to help ENSURE folks can & will get to the polls unimpeded. At least as far as fares & tolls go anyway.

Just a thought.

Disagree. What about 'off year' elections like this year(2011) in most of the country there no major elections for major office where voting is very light?

Plus around the country election/primary days are not just held the first week of November Should we have 'free' transit days for those days as well i.e primary day in Sept. as well? Also do you want higher transit fares/higher taxes? In Chicago, their citywide election day is in April for Mayor/citywide. Does the Feds or State pays for this? Last time i looked we were in middle of a terrible global recession.

A better idea Santa Fe(not saying i endorse it) would for the feds in very poor/rural areas to provide car service/transit to get seniors/disabled to polling locations who otherwise can't afford it. With that said, it might be tacky but some campaigns already pay for the poor/seniors/disabled to get to polling booths.

For Everyone else in America, it's up to them to get polling places and their choice if they want to vote. Plus most people live closeby to their polling places anyhow. I know i worked for a couple of years as a election day worker. Sorry for sounding rude but being honest. Just my takes.

bad idea, transit systems cant afford to give away a service for free. Even where I live in the suburbs the polling place is a few blocks from where I live.

I still don't get why the polls are so unsecure, they don't check IDs or anything, the book has everyone's signatures printed next to the spot where you sign, so anyone can go there say they're someone else and vote for them as long as they can copy how their signature looks.

There should be a bouncer that checks IDs to make sure that you are who you are at every polling place to prevent people from fraudulently voting.

Interesting concept, but ultimately moot since polling places tend to overwhelmingly be within walking distance for residents of a particular district.

If it's not within walking distance, odds are you don't live somewhere there's public transit anyway.

How about people that actually vote get a voucher for free transportation all day? That will either get more people to vote, or if the amont of voters does not change, it will barely make a dent in the MTA's revenue, unfortunately.

I know, you can't give a reward for voting, it's not ethical, blah blah blah.

1. Not enough people vote to warrant that.

2. As whats already been mentioned; polling locations are usually within short distances of the residents who need them, which makes public transportation moot when you can walk three blocks....

I like the idea on principle though. I also like the idea of having Election Day as a federal holiday, but thats another conversation...

How about people that actually vote get a voucher for free transportation all day? That will either get more people to vote, or if the amont of voters does not change, it will barely make a dent in the MTA's revenue, unfortunately.

No one should need an incentive to vote.

It's as dumb as paying kids to show up to school.

A compromi$e could be:

* 100% FARE/TOLL FREE TRAN$IT on Presidential Election Days, making it a Leap Year Occurrence as well.

* FARE$/TOLL$ HALF-PRICE on Midterm Election Days. This means ALL fares/tolls would be 50% off.

ALL!

So, every 4 years, on Prez Election Days fares/tolls would be FREE. And 2 years after Prez Election Days they'd be HALF-OFF on Election Day.

bad idea, transit systems cant afford to give away a service for free. Even where I live in the suburbs the polling place is a few blocks from where I live.

I still don't get why the polls are so unsecure, they don't check IDs or anything, the book has everyone's signatures printed next to the spot where you sign, so anyone can go there say they're someone else and vote for them as long as they can copy how their signature looks.

There should be a bouncer that checks IDs to make sure that you are who you are at every polling place to prevent people from fraudulently voting.

That is so true. This past Tuesday NO ONE at my polling place asked me for my driver`s license to verify I'm really ME.

That might do it:tup:

Interesting concept, but ultimately moot since polling places tend to overwhelmingly be within walking distance for residents of a particular district.

If it's not within walking distance, odds are you don't live somewhere there's public transit anyway.

True, but folks usually have to get home first, then go vote. Or mass transit it or drive to the polls directly from work. Or to work from the polls. Be NICE if TPTB $u$pended ALL fare$/toll$ that ONE DAY.

No one should need an incentive to vote.

It's as dumb as paying kids to show up to school.

Money can be a VERY $trong motivator:) We can call it & label it what we want, but the allure of greenback$ CAN BE a very powerful driving & motivational force. John Q. Student might get A++s & 100++s if money i$ dangled in front of him, whereas otherwise he'd be a lousy student, possibly a drop-out:(

Is that right?

No.

Doe$ it make paying kids to go to &/or do good in school right?

No.

Money can be a VERY $trong motivator:) We can call it & label it what we want, but the allure of greenback$ CAN BE a very powerful driving & motivational force. John Q. Student might get A++s & 100++s if money i$ dangled in front of him, whereas otherwise he'd be a lousy student, possibly a drop-out:(

Is that right?

No.

Doe$ it make paying kids to go to &/or do good in school right?

No.

Using money as the only incentive to do something that has its own rewards (or at least ought to) is one of the biggest reasons that this country's economy has turned into a filthy, disgusting, greed driven rat race to the bottom.

Using money as the only incentive to do something that has its own rewards (or at least ought to) is one of the biggest reasons that this country's economy has turned into a filthy, disgusting, greed driven rat race to the bottom.

Money is the American way, lol, might as well embrace it.

On a more serious note, while I agree with you on a theoretical level, on a more practical level, it seems that voting has lost its inherent value, based on pathetic turnouts in recent years. If it had some inherent value, I'd agree that giving a reward/voucher would be overjustification, but sadly I think we are at the point where voting has almost no value to people.

Money is the American way, lol, might as well embrace it.

On a more serious note, while I agree with you on a theoretical level, on a more practical level, it seems that voting has lost its inherent value, based on pathetic turnouts in recent years. If it had some inherent value, I'd agree that giving a reward/voucher would be overjustification, but sadly I think we are at the point where voting has almost no value to people.

And when that is taken away, the American people truly will have no recourse to stop the raping and pillaging at the hands of the aristocracy that rules this country..

Save for overthrowing the government and throwing all of the den of vipers into a steaming cauldron of hate.

AKA a second American Revolution.

However, revolutions almost never go smoothly when they are within a country as opposed to throwing off outside influence. Which is why people need to educate themselves, vote, and elect people that will actually stand up for them instead of these rich d-bag businessmen that don't care about them.

The incorporation of money and greed as one of America's primary values is why society continues to devolve today.

And when that is taken away, the American people truly will have no recourse to stop the raping and pillaging at the hands of the aristocracy that rules this country..

Save for overthrowing the government and throwing all of the den of vipers into a steaming cauldron of hate.

AKA a second American Revolution.

However, revolutions almost never go smoothly when they are within a country as opposed to throwing off outside influence. Which is why people need to educate themselves, vote, and elect people that will actually stand up for them instead of these rich d-bag businessmen that don't care about them.

The incorporation of money and greed as one of America's primary values is why society continues to devolve today.

We also need good people to actually run for office. People can have education out the wazoo, but when all politicians are either rich carbon copies of party stereotypes or total whackjobs, there is only so much you can do. Of course, to run an election, you need to have...tons of money. It's a lovely little vicious cycle.

I also think that an inherent issue with a capitalistic society is that money is placed above all else. There are some exceptions, but not many.

Archived