• Alstom R160A
    • Kawasaki R160B
    • St. Louis Car R38
    • Pullman Standard R46
    • St. Louis Car R44

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where have you been? I back up the R38s and R44s, not the R42s...

you still yelled at me for scolding the R44s. like it or not, they will always be my least favorite cars with R42s right behind them. i think the R38 retirement date has been pushed back a couple of weeks because the barge normally used to sinking subway cars is currently being used to transport U.S. Airways Flgith 1549.

May I ask aside from the aesthetics, how did the R44s fail you?

too many reasons. they still suffer from all of the mechanical and technical issues that led to the collapse of the St. Louis Car Company. the doors are not stable, bell chimes malfunction or do not work, too much air in their brakes, air-conditioning is bad, lighting stinks, and plenty more

too many reasons. they still suffer from all of the mechanical and technical issues that led to the collapse of the St. Louis Car Company. the doors are not stable, bell chimes malfunction or do not work, too much air in their brakes, air-conditioning is bad, lighting stinks, and plenty more

First of all, the crew in the 70s were too unfamiliar/badly trained to handle the new technology cars. When they did things w/o thinking, the cars malfunctioned. Also, the St Louis Car Company did not directly go down b/c of the R44s, rather they were brought down by the Arrow Is as well. Second, the R46s are the ones that don't have functioning bell chimes. Third, the NTTs A/C are even worse during the rushes in the summer. At least the R44s have functioning A/Cs, while the Phase IIs steam rolls everyone.

First of all, the crew in the 70s were too unfamiliar/badly trained to handle the new technology cars. When they did things w/o thinking, the cars malfunctioned. Also, the St Louis Car Company did not directly go down b/c of the R44s, rather they were brought down by the Arrow Is as well. Second, the R46s are the ones that don't have functioning bell chimes. Third, the NTTs A/C are even worse during the rushes in the summer. At least the R44s have functioning A/Cs, while the Phase IIs steam rolls everyone.

the R44s' bell chime always malfunction. sometimes, it chimes when the doors open instead of close or they do not ring at all. R44s air-conditioning is weak. the Phase II R32s might have had them, but at least i enjoyed riding them because the R32s are my favorite cars.

Hmmmm excuse me the NTT's A/C are not bad during the summer time.....most of the older cars A/C's are real bad

the R44s' bell chime always malfunction. sometimes, it chimes when the doors open instead of close or they do not ring at all. R44s air-conditioning is weak. the Phase II R32s might have had them, but at least i enjoyed riding them because the R32s are my favorite cars.

Fine by me. Likewise, the R44s are my favorite. It seems that you really don't favor trains with bucket seats.

Fine by me. Likewise, the R44s are my favorite. It seems that you really don't favor trains with bucket seats.

no, the R68/68As are one of my favorite cars. i like their symmetrical appearance and their are quite clean and shiny inside and out. the big weakness with them is that they are very slow. in fact, all 75 footers are slow.

no, the R68/68As are one of my favorite cars. i like their symmetrical appearance and their are quite clean and shiny inside and out. the big weakness with them is that they are very slow. in fact, all 75 footers are slow.

Well, the back window on R68/A opposite of the half cabin, on some cars, those windows need serious repair. The frame is all glued up, and the glue is wearing off.

All subway cars run at the same speed. R68/As just have slower acceleration.

Guest Charles
when the R68s came out, they were compared to a stereotypical dumb blonde. why? idk.

I've read this in a book before.

I believe it was on the lines of "aesthetically innovative, but failed to impress in terms of functionality."

--e.g. the heaviest car ever built (I think), etc.

I've read this in a book before.

I believe it was on the lines of "aesthetically innovative, but failed to impress in terms of functionality."

--e.g. the heaviest car ever built (I think), etc.

They were at over 91,000 pounds (wow)

Also, I like the R160's with the Siemens propulsion (8843-9102)

Archived