Bus Operators on Probation get in here

prgordo

The schedule isn't so bad, at least for me. I'm getting all late shifts mostly, but it is what it is. Some days I'll clear at 11 PM; other days (mostly) I'll clear between 12:30 AM and 2 AM. The good thing about my depot is the timing of my pull-ins, I can catch a pull-out on the B44 which is my home line, so it's a one ride access after putting my trip sheet in for the day.

But, as for what depot should you choose? Well, do you like Ulmer Park? lol I only say that because 9/10 you'll be bumped out - it's a very high seniority depot. But, if you can stay there, then by all means... go ahead. How are you liking it so far there?

Now, if you're open minded for some real man work, see if Flatbush is available during the system pick and come get a taste of what we deal with - the busiest lines in Brooklyn, and, of course, the beloved B46 - busiest line in the country. hehe!

Where did you have in mind?

Congrates to you and like what knightrider said, take your time and keep it slow motion, I to work mostly nights like what acela said, it is what it is. What ever depot you feel you want to go for, not what other ppl telling to go for, the most important part is to follow what you really want, because at the end of the day you have to come in and do the work. I'm learning my lesson right now lol. All that will change for me when we get our system pick in MTA Bus this winter pick. Lol.

List 1049 waiting for the next class. I'm happy for you guys! as said b4, take your time out there. Remember it is our job to protect our license 1st and foremost no matter what! It's our bread and butter! I would look forward to late shifts while on probation as to avoid more traffic while on probation. I would love some pointers from you guys! Feel free to spill the beans man! Once again, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WORKED HARD FOR IT!;)

The schedule isn't so bad, at least for me. I'm getting all late shifts mostly, but it is what it is. Some days I'll clear at 11 PM; other days (mostly) I'll clear between 12:30 AM and 2 AM. The good thing about my depot is the timing of my pull-ins, I can catch a pull-out on the B44 which is my home line, so it's a one ride access after putting my trip sheet in for the day.

But, as for what depot should you choose? Well, do you like Ulmer Park? lol I only say that because 9/10 you'll be bumped out - it's a very high seniority depot. But, if you can stay there, then by all means... go ahead. How are you liking it so far there?

Now, if you're open minded for some real man work, see if Flatbush is available during the system pick and come get a taste of what we deal with - the busiest lines in Brooklyn, and, of course, the beloved B46 - busiest line in the country. hehe!

Where did you have in mind?

If you have a choice do NOT pick Flatbush at least while you are on probation. Dollar cab hits you, you are still at fault ( while on probation ;) )

If you have a choice of UP of Gleason, pick that. It does not mater that Gleason has 14 lines, you will have time to learn them and you will not be faulted if you get lost, but at least the lines there are going through areas that are much quieter, buses are much better ( at least the mirrors are better ) After probation is over, you can chose what ever you want, but on probation pick the easiest stuff that is available to you.

If Gleason will have something ending at 9 pm available when I pick , I will jump ship and head to Gleason. or 10 pm clear time for UP

Flatbush is hard and heavy and sometimes its too much.

Thanks guys :tup

Congratulations to my classmates 9/26

Tomorrow the Real ish goes down

Today was bitter sweet I still dont have a Uniform

and one of classmates didnt pass 2nd Road Test

I Like UPK but most likely will get bumped out

My Sys Pick is Dec 2 so I have Research to do

a B/O from the depot has a website for us that has

all the paddles for all the depots and sorts of stuff

its a cool site .

Congrats and good luck. Like said b4, I personally would pick the depot with the less busy lines, if possible.. Like Ulmer Park or Gleason. You want to get through your probation with the least amount of incidents as possible. Ulmer Park has good Union Reps also and they will help you out. PM me if you have any questions about UP. I was there for 7 months b4 getting laid off in 2010.

Also, you want to try to stay as close to home as possible. Just makes life easier. Sucked for me, living in Brooklyn and commuting to the Bronx everyday. When I get back to work, I will definitely try to get into Brooklyn, but I doubt I will be able to right away b/c I am OA. But even manhattan would be better than the Bronx b/c the commute is much easier.

Good luck brother.:tup:

Thanks guys :tup

Congratulations to my classmates 9/26

Tomorrow the Real ish goes down

Today was bitter sweet I still dont have a Uniform

and one of classmates didnt pass 2nd Road Test

I Like UPK but most likely will get bumped out

My Sys Pick is Dec 2 so I have Research to do

a B/O from the depot has a website for us that has

all the paddles for all the depots and sorts of stuff

its a cool site .

Can you give me that web address ? in PM if you dont want to post it here

Congrats and good luck. Like said b4, I personally would pick the depot with the less busy lines, if possible.. Like Ulmer Park or Gleason. You want to get through your probation with the least amount of incidents as possible. Ulmer Park has good Union Reps also and they will help you out. PM me if you have any questions about UP. I was there for 7 months b4 getting laid off in 2010.

Also, you want to try to stay as close to home as possible. Just makes life easier. Sucked for me, living in Brooklyn and commuting to the Bronx everyday. When I get back to work, I will definitely try to get into Brooklyn, but I doubt I will be able to right away b/c I am OA. But even manhattan would be better than the Bronx b/c the commute is much easier.

Good luck brother.:tup:

Why were You laid off ? and are you back ? and if not how come ?

In Jamaica Depot. I was told by my crew dispatcher that we are the only depot in the entire system that while on the extra list we can pick a hold down for vacation relief, through a method called X/L(extra list) weekly choices. I'm on the extra list and i already had two hold downs(hope i'm using the terminology right) They were AM pieces. I will work that for the entire week. And if the guy/gal is off the next week i can pick it again. Or pick something else. But if someone with higher seniority wants it he could snatch it away from me.

Every thursday we put in our X/L choices and that determines our RDO'S for the next week. I usually pick "open M/T". And i usually get it. But i can also pick report times which varies at different times during the day. Some of my fellow classmates who wanted other days off picked other days and got it .S/S are hard to get but not impossible. Others rather hold downs. They want to know what they working for the entire week. Me personally i like to bounce around and work all the lines. Everything is based on senority but most of us probies, usually get what we pick. We know we are at the bottom of list but the left overs are some really good work.

Now I've heard in other depots while on the list, the work is just given to you by your dispatcher. You don't get to choose. Well at jamaica we choose. There is a list that comes out everyday of work available for the next day. Between 8am and 11am we pick what we want to work for the next day. ( 1st choice 2nd choice etc etc).I live in brooklyn but I make it a daily habit to come in and pick work. Why? FLEXIBILTY. I had mon/tues off but on Sunday i worked a hawk, it only paid 8hrs but i was home by 9am. It felt like i had 3 days off. I'ma rookie but since line training...i haven't made less than 100 hours.

Now if other depots don't do this, then since i was forced into jamaica. I'm going to stay. I have one more month to decide. I think on my days off im going to visit other depots. At Jamaica I have flexibilty while making money. I did a hawk( which I chose). I could have done overnight terminal work where i just sit in my car wait til a bus pull in and when its time for the driver to leave i just back him out. And be home by 7am. Some weeks where i feel i want to do a hold down. I can pick one. I can work ams. matter of fact, I report at 10am tomorrow. Oh let's not talk about drilling and shuttle work. Jamaica is a very "not what I expected type of depot". I am quite pleased with it. If i wasn't forced here i would not even think of coming here.The only down side is you have to come in early mornings to pick work for the next day and you are stuck here for your entire career.

Archived