Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

...Nassau Inter County Express Bus, or NICE!!!

It looks like the Nassau County executive has reached a NICE deal.

With an end-of-year deadline drawing closer for the MTA to stop running Long Island Bus, Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano on Thursday plans to unveil the creation of the Nassau Inter County Express – or NICE – as the new county bus system.

Mangano plans to release the new name for what had been known as “Long Island Bus” as well as the fact that the county has reached a contract with Veolia Transportation to operate the system.

http://libn.com/2011...ss-bus-details/

Let's look at the pieces of the name. Inter County Express. That hints to me of a significant reduction in service not going to Queens and the creation of some form of LIE commuter service.

Per Newsday and News 12, Mangano will hold a news conference at 14:00 tomorrow to officially announce.

UPDATE:

http://mobile.newsda...9573&nopaging=1

Nassau County's newly privatized bus system will have a new name and look but will keep existing fares and all 48 of its routes, officials said Wednesday.

NICE Bus -- an acronym for Nassau Inter-County Express -- is the moniker as of Jan. 1 for Long Island Bus, the county-owned bus system that serves 100,000 daily riders.

County Executive Edward Mangano, at a news conference Thursday, will release long-awaited details of the county's contract with Veolia Transportation, just seven weeks before the Illinois -based company takes over.

County officials would not release information on NICE Bus' service levels other than to say the county will not implement the Metropolitan Transportation Authority 's plan, proposed earlier this year, to close LI Bus' budget gap by eliminating more than half its routes.

Incoming NICE Bus chief executive Michael Setzer said no lines would be eliminated, though schedule changes would be made on several routes. That will mean less frequent buses on some lines, he said.

As we predicted, frequency cuts are now confirmed.

And let the foam begin!!!

clip_image002_006.gif

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was hoping for black n yellow black n yellow colors for their new scheme.

NCIS is what it sounds like but FINALLY ....EXP service is a plus:tup:Boy I hope they get those 42.5 Millennium RTS's EXP version ;).

it would have to be Orange and Blue since they are the colors of Nassau county, I personally like the new color scheme :)

I just got through listening to pinepower's video about this... although there were no pics on how the buses are supposed to end up lookin within it.... Well, now that I see em, my reaction is....

ughk.... orange & turquoise is not a good mix... on anything.

hell w/ foam, I'm tryna not to hurl !!

NICE is a pretty clever name for the new system in my opinion. Do I think it fits? Not really. And according to the article, Veolia needs more bus drivers than Long Island Bus had, but fewer maintenance workers? Well, without the (MTA), who is gonna maintain the buses? The (MTA) had a bunch of garages in the city that could repair buses. Are they going to help out?

In the picture, are those digital replicas or has one of the buses already been painted for the new scheme?

And if Veolia needs more drivers, I may just go for a CDL and take the position as a summer job.

In the picture, are those digital replicas or has one of the buses already been painted for the new scheme?

Digital replicas.

It looks like something out of Pittsburgh or Los Angeles, where color schemes run amok. ;)

Reminds me of Los Angeles too. Does any system on the east coast even use orange?

NICE is a pretty clever name for the new system in my opinion. Do I think it fits? Not really. And according to the article, Veolia needs more bus drivers than Long Island Bus had, but fewer maintenance workers? Well, without the (MTA), who is gonna maintain the buses? The (MTA) had a bunch of garages in the city that could repair buses. Are they going to help out?

And if Veolia needs more drivers, I may just go for a CDL and take the position as a summer job.

they probably need less maintenance workers because they are probably planning on not having an overnight crew in the depot for maintenance...even though that would be an incredibly stupid thing for them to do

Let's look at the pieces of the name. Inter County Express. That hints to me of a significant reduction in service not going to Queens and the creation of some form of LIE commuter service.

To me, it sounds like a stupid gimmick that relies on a "backronym" (i.e. they came up with "NICE" first, then needed something for it to stand for).

At least that marketing lame-brain wasn't further east - the name might have become SUffolk County Connection ("SUCC")!

To me, it sounds like a stupid gimmick that relies on a "backronym" (i.e. they came up with "NICE" first, then needed something for it to stand for).

At least that marketing lame-brain wasn't further east - the name might have become SUffolk County Connection ("SUCC")!

...then they could merge & store their buses @ what would be called NASSTY - Nassau & Suffolk Surface Transit Yard

anyway, w/ this whole "NICE" bit, I think they stole the core idea from ICMC

(inter county motor coach; Suffolk county)

MTA didn't repair LI buses at their facilities in the past, so I definitely don't see it happening now that they aren't going to have anything to do with NICE.

That's up to the County. Veolia is just the contractor, not the decider.

That's not necessarily true. Veolia will pretty much be running everything just as the MTA did for the most part.

Archived