Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

I don't know if they necessarily want the MTA. They might just be upset that so little funding is being dedicated to the system.

Yes that has been the whole problem all along. I would love for Nassau to have it's own version of "Bee-Line" as Westchester spends good money for its bus system.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Contract approved unanimously!!!(per live stream of legislative meeting)

I saw the footage on NEWS 12 Long Island last night and I noticed (not sure if anybody else has) but when they showed that Orion 07.501 NG CNG with the new paint scheme...that bus had a number on it. That number was #1452. Hmmm...I wonder, was that just a "dummy number" OR could that be a NEW number? Guess we'll wait until January 1st!

I saw the footage on NEWS 12 Long Island last night and I noticed (not sure if anybody else has) but when they showed that Orion 07.501 NG CNG with the new paint scheme...that bus had a number on it. That number was #1452. Hmmm...I wonder, was that just a "dummy number" OR could that be a NEW number? Guess we'll wait until January 1st!

It was a redesign on the New Paint Scheme, The New Paint Scheme was at first suppose to have a Light Blueish color on it which made some think of former Islanders uniform, but with the announcement that the Legislator passed the contract a Brand new, new paint scheme was shown.

That was a one in-front of the 4, I thought that was a T (I didn't see the Brand new, new paint scheme on News 12 LI so that could be the reason it didn't look like a one)

Veolia is a huge international company that operates transit systems all over the world. They run Melbourne,Australia's commuter rail system plus bus services in Dutch cities. I think this is the largest system that the company operates in America.

Yes, we've established that.

Man. All this and STILL no word on allowing of MetroCards. They say no, it's a dealbreaker for most of us, I'm sure. Especially me.

Guys, I really hate to sound like a pessimist, but I think the end is near. Especially now that all NIFA has to do is approve the contract...

I really hope I'm wrong on the "end is near" thing.

Veolia is a huge international company that operates transit systems all over the world. They run Melbourne,Australia's commuter rail system plus bus services in Dutch cities. I think this is the largest system that the company operates in America.

If we weren't so close to the city that we could connect to NYC services and if Mangano paid them at least $20 million, this wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately, the complete opposite of what I just said will happen.

Man. All this and STILL no word on allowing of MetroCards. They say no, it's a dealbreaker for most of us, I'm sure. Especially me.

I am not a transit expert. If PATH train can accept metrocards, why cant the Veiola/NICE?

I don't expect Veiola/NICE to accept the free transfer to nyc MTA or accept unlimited metrocards though. Its basically will be a double fare increase for 1/3 of the LIB riders...asssuming they stay on. Sadly many people don't have a choice despite that some think they have alternatives.

I am not a transit expert. If PATH train can accept metrocards, why cant the Veiola/NICE?

I don't expect Veiola/NICE to accept the free transfer to nyc MTA or accept unlimited metrocards though. Its basically will be a double fare increase for 1/3 of the LIB riders...asssuming they stay on. Sadly many people don't have a choice despite that some think they have alternatives.

Bee-Line takes MetroCard (including unlimited) and gives you a transfer to NYCT buses/subways.

I think they'd still accept the MetroCards. They'd be stupid not to. Like you said, they likely won't accept free transfers though.

And for some, it'll just pay to switch to the LIRR. A Zone 1-4 pass costs $223, and while it'll cost more than a monthly fare for NYCT and LIB (around $90 per month each is $180), but the service is much more reliable and faster than Veolia would be.

Bee-Line takes MetroCard (including unlimited) and gives you a transfer to NYCT buses/subways.

We know that, but Bee-Line also has more funding.

What good is spending money for MetroCard acceptance if free transfers and Unlimiteds aren't accepted?

For short riders not going into NYC, the LIRR is a good deal (that is, if it goes where you're going). $82/month for 4-7 (Hicksville-Mineola or Massapequa-Valley Str).

Yeah, I know, but this is Nassau County we're talking about. With Ed Mangano running the show. How do I know they'll be so kind? Stupid is Mangano's middle name. Or at least it ought to be.

And I NEED unlimited Metrocards to be accepted. I have to use one as I take the subway (7 and N/Q) to get into the city from Hunterspoint Avenue each day. Would be stupid to not let these be used. (I live in frickin' Mineola, zone 4, and that combined with my monthly unlimited Metrocard sets me back $322.54 a month - and that's after a measly 2% discount via Mail & Ride. Used to be 9% a few years ago. Soon it'll be no discount, just watch. *scoff*)

But with no word about the Metrocards still, and time running out, I just don't know...

(And as for using the LIRR, if I wanted to go to, say, Sunrise Mall or the Brokerage Comedy club, me being in Mineola, I'd have to go to Jamaica first. Then go back east. Tedious! It's gonna suck, but it may be my only choice. Guess I'll go to the city more then!)

What good is spending money for MetroCard acceptance if free transfers and Unlimiteds aren't accepted?

For short riders not going into NYC, the LIRR is a good deal (that is, if it goes where you're going). $82/month for 4-7 (Hicksville-Mineola or Massapequa-Valley Str).

If you already have a MetroCard with money, it's easier to just use it up on LIB than it is to figure out how to return it to the MTA and get your money back. (Of course, you'll get your money back, but it'll take a few weeks)

Also, it simplifies fare payment. You might have somebody who lives in NYC and needs to go out to LI a few times a week. It's easier for them if they can just use their MetroCard, even if they don't get a transfer. I mean, there were times when I had to go to NJ or up to Westchester, and it would've been easier if the HBLR, NJT buses, and Metro-North accepted MetroCards.

I mean, it's also cheaper and faster for them to process a MetroCard than to process cash fares.

Just thought of something else. If MetroCards are not accepted on the NICE buses, and they STILL don't allow dollar bills to be used just like in all MTA buses (which in itself is very stupid indeed as just about everywhere else in the freaking country accepts dollar bills), ridership will go down the drain for sure. Not many people will want to get on a bus if they can't use their MetroCard and can only rely on change to climb aboard. Double whammy imminent if MetroCard is not accepted...

And for some, it'll just pay to switch to the LIRR. A Zone 1-4 pass costs $223, and while it'll cost more than a monthly fare for NYCT and LIB (around $90 per month each is $180),

I notice a few people here states this. A key issue is not everyone is near a LIRR station. And even for those who own a car, parking at LIRR is not really possible. Stations like great neck & new hyde park is atrocious in a long waiting list for paid spots .

This is called public transportation. Even with MTA recent in years, its serving less & less to the public. With this privitization, it could be worse. Mangano & his administration appears to encourage people to drive more, pollute the environment & clog up the roads more. People with less personal funding will really be stuck or moving out of LI due to excessive cost of living.

I will admit it openly I own cars & have been driving more & more in the past few years.. I am a transit rider in heart all my life first over driving. For example. The LIRR weekend on the Port Wash line use to be every 30 min in weekends. Its every hour now. I would usually rather drive now bc of this excessive long wait. Its pretty insane how my commute can be 20 min on a weekend to upwards of 2.5 hrs with the LIB/Subway combo. Its utterly amazing how much reading I get done on mass transit. /rant

Archived