Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

Speaking of farebox, sometimes tourists or folks out of NY state think they could buy MetroCard onboard the bus, unlike CT Transit or Greater Bridgeport Authority.

Little off-topic.

When I was riding Tappan Zee Express back to Westchester County, I remember during 2010 or 2009, bus was on eastbound on Route 59. One of (MTA) rider didn't know how he could catch TZX at bus shelter, and nice Coach USA B/O told him he has to flag.

Also some folks think bus can be flag, because sometimes some people try to flag M86 at corner of 5th Av/85th St.

Also, when there's local stop at traffic light while LTD/SBS waiting for green light, sometimes folks think that bus is their bus and they try to knock on door.

Back to topic.

Recently tourist boarded with $5 thinking they could buy MetroCard onboard the bus.

I remember when Bee-Line bus implement MetroCard, I was on Saturday trip on BxM4C when it was $5.50.

I was on SB bus along Rte. 100 and when there was Senior Citizens with $3.50 in bill try to ride bus.

Even thought it was on news, they swear they didn't hear it and male B/O had no choice but to take $2.75 in bill in his envelope.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this bickering, debating, flaming and what not, and no one remembers the first 2 pages of this thread when gtNovaBusRTS9369 posted a link to the newsday article about the Metrocard issue? well i did. heres the post:

See This. Specfifcally the 5th short paragraph.

Heres what was written:

Informational meetings were held this week for LI Bus employees, who Veolia officials expect will make up most of their team. Riders' ability to use MetroCards will continue. And the county has promised no fare hikes or service cuts in 2012.

as far as the fareboxes, same article:

Lease agreements between Nassau and the MTA have to be worked out for the use of MTA fare boxes and facilities, such as the Mineola Intermodal Center and the bus terminal in Jamaica.

so much bickering may be the reason questions arent answered. Well, one is answered now (although answered before)

That also says no service cuts in 2012 which we know is likely false. I don't see any bickering or flaming here. Just some heated discussions about a lot of concerns people have.

true. i guess im just too use to the BS that can happen here.

as far as the fareboxes vs cuts, cuts were gonna happen either way. they call it 'schedule adjusting'. Fareboxes on the other hand, costs money, which Nassau doesnt have, and im sure leasing the equipment would not only be cheaper, but will ease the transition on riders. I remember when the PBLs(except for the Bx) switched from GFI boxes to the Cubic for Metrocard and, atleast from i witnessed in Rockaway back then, a lot of us took some time to remember that dollar bills were no longer accepted. It wasnt like the 'upgrade back in 89 when they switched to the GFi's replacing the old Johnson boxes.

That article, especially with the bit about the MetroCard, is old news. The latest news really has nothing. This is why I (with many others here) am concerned. And the "no cuts in 2012" thing? Probably not true. No. As far as I'm concerned, none of our questions have really been answered.

I actually happened to see a pair of NICE buses this morning - that's right. As I took my N22 to the LIRR this morning, somewhere around Old Country Road and County Seat Drive, I saw these two buses with the sign "TRAINING BUS". So it's happening pretty quickly.

I actually happened to see a pair of NICE buses this morning - that's right. As I took my N22 to the LIRR this morning, somewhere around Old Country Road and County Seat Drive, I saw these two buses with the sign "TRAINING BUS". So it's happening pretty quickly.

Marked NICE with paintjob and all?

I didn't catch whether it said NICE, but I'm sure I recognized the orange paint job on one. I think the other one was blue.

Inside both were a lot of drivers. New blood coming.

Any pictures? Did the buses look like the preview from the county?

It's confirmed that Nassau County is to take delivery of more Orion VIIs. This will be a option 2 of the 1700-1799 order (option 1 being 1800-1839). The order is an amount of 43 more buses to begin delivery within Q1 2012. It's also confirmed that all loaner from NYCTA/MTABC will can back to the city.

Let's see where this go. :P

That article, especially with the bit about the MetroCard, is old news. The latest news really has nothing. This is why I (with many others here) am concerned. And the "no cuts in 2012" thing? Probably not true. No. As far as I'm concerned, none of our questions have really been answered.

I kept hearing that those M.I.A LIB's were not in the city to get fixed, but were at Crosstown getting painted. I never got a chance to go over there and check it out though. Now I guess the cat is out of the bag.

On the way home on the N35 I saw about four or five people in high visibility vests in an NG going down Stewart Avenue.

And then I had to walk a mile and a half home when I got off the N32 for the 25 one AM run missing and the bus that was supposed to come up was 35 minutes late. Another bus came up when I was halfway done with my walk!

any updates? I'll even take rumors!

As I recall, from the big meeting/protest, i thought there was some kind of final paperwork or agreement on 12/19. Its now less than 2 weeks away from year end & no details on the take over? Its seems unconscionable how there is no notice about the upcoming changes? Will riders will be informed on the fly? did I miss something? sorry if this is repeated or old news inquiry

Key things I am curious about is

-accepting mta metrocards

-transfer between nyc mta & NICE

-new timetables

-any route changes

A quick google & this is what I saw

Dems say bus pact votes made under duress - The Island Now: News

-so a potential strike is possible? lovely for the riders *sarcasm

-take it or leave it? Alternative is no bus service...*sarcasm again

any updates? I'll even take rumors!

As I recall, from the big meeting/protest, i thought there was some kind of final paperwork or agreement on 12/19. Its now less than 2 weeks away from year end & no details on the take over? Its seems unconscionable how there is no notice about the upcoming changes? Will riders will be informed on the fly? did I miss something? sorry if this is repeated or old news inquiry

Key things I am curious about is

-accepting mta metrocards

-transfer between nyc mta & NICE

-new timetables

-any route changes

A quick google & this is what I saw

Dems say bus pact votes made under duress - The Island Now: News

-so a potential strike is possible? lovely for the riders *sarcasm

-take it or leave it? Alternative is no bus service...*sarcasm again

I'm not buying it - if they believed it was a bad deal, they should have voted no.

not sure if this is posted. I notice this was posted on my local paper dated 12/9.

Some here have blamed Veoilia but I have no ill will twds them. I assume in general that any changes makes a lot of people nervous as it disrupts the current ecosystem. Its not a great 1st step that there is no announcement of any upcoming changes for the Nassau riders on 1/1/12.

Letter: Open Letter from Veolia Transportation

Letter: Open Letter from Veolia Transportation

Friday, 09 December 2011 00:00

The Nassau County Legislature has scheduled a hearing next week on a contract between Veolia Transportation and Nassau County outlining the terms of a public-private operating partnership to operate Long Island Bus. The contract gives the county control over its own transit system for the first time, offering a significantly higher level of control and oversight than it has with the MTA as system operator.

The county negotiated significant oversight in its contract with Veolia to protect riders, workers and taxpayers. This contract stands in stark contrast to the relationship the County had with the MTA, in which the County had little to no control over routes, service levels or how funds were invested and service planned. The county’s contract with Veolia gives it control in numerous ways, including:

Veolia will operate the bus system under the oversight and control of both the county and a Transit Committee comprised of county residents.

The Transit Committee will not only monitor Veolia’s performance, but must approve an annual plan and budget for the bus system and any proposed fare adjustments or significant service level adjustments to the annual plan during the course of a year.

Because Veolia’s compensation is based on the hours of service it actually provides, as well as attracting more riders, the contract strongly incentivizes Veolia to provide as much service as available funding sources allow, not less, and to obtain additional funding to grow the service.

Veolia has little discretion over route adjustments. The contract details specific provisions and criteria for what kinds of changes to routes Veolia can make. Only the most underutilized routes that require the greatest taxpayer subsidy can be candidates for examination or adjustment.

Veolia is required under the contract to design and implement a public participation plan that gives riders and others the ability to have input on proposed adjustments before they are made.

The Transit Committee will receive a quarterly report card from Veolia that rigorously measures and reports important performance criteria such as on-time performance, missed service, stop pass-bys, mechanical breakdowns, cost per mile, revenue per mile, calls answered, customer complaints and more. This is information the county has never had in the past.

Finally, the contract allows the county to make changes to the contract and to unilaterally terminate its relationship with Veolia with 90 days notice. Veolia must give the county one-year’s notice of termination. The term of Veolia’s contract is five years, after which time a five-year renewal is possible at the county’s option.

Mike Setzer

Vice President

Veolia Transportation

Nope, no pictures, sadly. Didn't have my camera with me. But yes, they looked like they did in the previews.

Let me settle one rumor at least... None of the buses have been painted with the NICE livery yet. The buses being used for the new hire training are current LIB fleet in MTA livery (usualy 1836, 1789, 1653 - one from each series) and a 2010 Demo Hybrid Orion VII now owned by Veolia still in the factory demo livery (blue grey green).

The MTA has been very un-cooperative in certain areas, so dont expect to see any NICE livery until after the changeover. They wont even let Veolia keep the Demo Hybrid on the property... it has to be brought in every day from another county property.

As far as the new operators being trained... From first hand experience having seen both programs, Veolia's training program far surpasses that of the MTA's in my oppinion. In fact I have met several new hire trainees who have recently retired or relocated from other transit systems including MABSTOA. Of course not all trainees will make it. Some will be cut... They are VERY strict with their standards. So dont knock 'em till you've seen 'em in action.

And when you see the blue demo bus... wave 'hi'. I'll be the one standing next to the trainee. :(

LI Operator, you seem to know a lot about what's going on at L.I.B. So I have a question for you. Yesterday, I saw three consectuive N20s and an N21 running each behind one another, coming into the city, all jam packed. Is Veolia or the (MTA) editing any of the runs so they have more at the busier times and less at the less-crowded times?

Some will be cut... They are VERY strict with their standards. So dont knock 'em till you've seen 'em in action.

Its nice to know this & I give Veolia a benefit of a doubt in many areas.

Some mta bus drivers must be very angry as they indicate the new drivers are 2nd rate drivers. I personally have a little more faith. Its still a very uphill battle & many questions unanswered among the general riding public.

Yesterday, I saw three consectuive N20s and an N21 running each behind one another, coming into the city, all jam packed.

this is def. a all familiar scene with the N20/N21 :mad:

Archived