Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

Let me settle one rumor at least... None of the buses have been painted with the NICE livery yet. The buses being used for the new hire training are current LIB fleet in MTA livery (usualy 1836, 1789, 1653 - one from each series) and a 2010 Demo Hybrid Orion VII now owned by Veolia still in the factory demo livery (blue grey green).

The MTA has been very un-cooperative in certain areas, so dont expect to see any NICE livery until after the changeover. They wont even let Veolia keep the Demo Hybrid on the property... it has to be brought in every day from another county property.

As far as the new operators being trained... From first hand experience having seen both programs, Veolia's training program far surpasses that of the MTA's in my oppinion. In fact I have met several new hire trainees who have recently retired or relocated from other transit systems including MABSTOA. Of course not all trainees will make it. Some will be cut... They are VERY strict with their standards. So dont knock 'em till you've seen 'em in action.

And when you see the blue demo bus... wave 'hi'. I'll be the one standing next to the trainee. :)

I knew someone with more knowledge would come here so what do you think will happen to some routes

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if N1 bus was cut, will passenger going to Green Acres Mall will go on van ride?

Possibly, most ridership is just trying to get to/from the N6 and N4.

From my experience riding the N1(Daily at one point), most ridership is between Hempstead Turnpike(N6) and Merrick Road(N4), with Stuart Ave (Along the Southern State Parkway) being the blurred border separating which bus route the riders are most likely to transfer to/from.

The peak rush trips to/from Jamaica definitely alleviates the N6 and are usually SRO in the peak direction. Many times the N1 saves the day with actual seats available in the non-peak direction picking up flagged N6 riders or those waiting for a late bus. In the evening rush Hewlet Bound, it drops off passengers along Hempstead Turnpike, and takes on more passengers transferring from the Jamaica bound N6 at Elmont Road. Also, there doesn't seem to be much thru-ridership at Green Acres, just passenger turn-over.

So you're saying that every single run of the N31/N32 is jam-packed. Is that correct?

Doing that would apply only during times when there is space to reduce routes. At the times when both routes are completely crushloaded, the N32 would run at the combined headway. Outside of that time frame is when the headway can be reduced by that method (and if every single run is crushloaded, then leave it as is)

And this applies to any route where you have 2 branches like that.

And if you had looked carefully, it was the N31 that would be eliminated, with the N32 having service added to it.

As you said, N32s are not always packed. That means that at certain times, the N31 could reasonably be eliminated with some service added back to the N32. It's up to Veolia to determine when those times are.

A lot N31 trips short turn at Lynbrook, at which point riders transfer to the LIRR, N4 or N25. Also, the N31 doesn't run on Sundays. I'm not sure that eliminating it would help anything. The few times that I did ride it most passengers were riding through the split portions of the routes. Though, It's not exactly a short walk to the N32 as it's on the other side of the tracks, I think it should be left alone.

You can't stop city tax money from going elsewhere in the MTA system, example: city tax money (as well as tax money from other (MTA)-taxable areas) can go to NYCT, Bus Co., Bridges & Tunnels, LIRR, MNR, or LIB. Nassau definitely has to pay their fair share for LIB, but, the (MTA) still funds it as well. Think of it this way, Nassau tax money is (in part) going to pay for your NYCT service!

Right, for that matter, charge all Nassau Drivers COST to cross the tolled bridges and see how much the MTA loses.

Like I've said before, this whole mess is because Nassau refuses to subsidize its bus system. If it forked over $26M more to the MTA like it should've in the first place everything would be hunky dory...
Great Idea, and how much tax will you be offering?

Speaking of Long Island Bus, I found video dated Oct 6, 2011 that Carrie Solages support LIB Riders and employee to save bus.

He sounds out of touch, like he doesn't actually know whats going on but is saying (via script and/or bullet points/adlib) what the riders wan't to hear.

Update on the NICE order for Orion VII CNG's.

At this time Orion is waiting for a Notice To Proceed (NTP). At that time, they are scheduled to deliver the first of the buses to Nassau. Orion's pre-production schedule calls for 23 buses in the beginning of the year. Not 43 as previously mentioned elsewhere. The complete details surrounding this order are subject to change, but it appears as if these could be MTA buses leased to Nassau.

After Veolia takes over in January, they are expected to begin formal talks with Orion about future bus procurement. Orion does not have firm orders for 160 buses at this time, nor are they working on a hybrid order for Nassau.

2013 service levels have not been determined yet, but NICE likely won't have to replace every old bus in the fleet. If service cuts do go into effect as planned, the system would only need about 50 new buses until at least 2014. If by some chance service levels remain close to where they are now, they still only need 67-70 new buses.

Unlike some other private bus operations, Veolia will not own any of the buses in the fleet. These buses will all be Nassau owned. After January 1st, it is unclear as to how NICE will proceed forward with bus procurement. We do know that the relationship with Orion will continue, but how these buses will be ordered and purchased is still unknown. That's why this new order is taking place so soon. Orion has pretty much never dealt with anyone other than the MTA for the purchase of Long Island Buses.

Orion does have a current relationship with Veolia, so transition won't be too difficult when it come to the bus side of things

Because of the current situation in Long Island, there has been a lot of speculation about the fleet, and what will be taking place in January. I have an unconfirmed report that MTA could pick up the tab on some of these buses that would strictly be for Nassau County.

Veolia also needs to have a contract in place with the TWU in the next 9 days, or the Union will not guarantee workers will be available for shifts starting on the 1st at 12:01am.

Update on the NICE order for Orion VII CNG's.

At this time Orion is waiting for a Notice To Proceed (NTP). At that time, they are scheduled to deliver the first of the buses to Nassau. Orion's pre-production schedule calls for 23 buses in the beginning of the year. Not 43 as previously mentioned elsewhere. The complete details surrounding this order are subject to change, but it appears as if these could be MTA buses leased to Nassau.

After Veolia takes over in January, they are expected to begin formal talks with Orion about future bus procurement. Orion does not have firm orders for 160 buses at this time, nor are they working on a hybrid order for Nassau.

2013 service levels have not been determined yet, but NICE likely won't have to replace every old bus in the fleet. If service cuts do go into effect as planned, the system would only need about 50 new buses until at least 2014. If by some chance service levels remain close to where they are now, they still only need 67-70 new buses.

Unlike some other private bus operations, Veolia will not own any of the buses in the fleet. These buses will all be Nassau owned. After January 1st, it is unclear as to how NICE will proceed forward with bus procurement. We do know that the relationship with Orion will continue, but how these buses will be ordered and purchased is still unknown. That's why this new order is taking place so soon. Orion has pretty much never dealt with anyone other than the MTA for the purchase of Long Island Buses.

Orion does have a current relationship with Veolia, so transition won't be too difficult when it come to the bus side of things

Because of the current situation in Long Island, there has been a lot of speculation about the fleet, and what will be taking place in January. I have an unconfirmed report that MTA could pick up the tab on some of these buses that would strictly be for Nassau County.

Veolia also needs to have a contract in place with the TWU in the next 9 days, or the Union will not guarantee workers will be available for shifts starting on the 1st at 12:01am.

Will these be 3G CNG's?

Nassau County

On January 1, 2012 Long Island Bus will have a new name: NICE, which stands for Nassau Inter-County Express. Veolia Transportation will now operate bus service, under contract to Nassau County.

We will be operating Sunday schedules on January 1 and 2, and weekday schedules starting on January 3rd.

Please note, on January 1, all current routes will continue running and will cover the same stops they currently do. There will be NO route eliminations on January 1.

In our effort to improve on-time performance and reduce travel time, we are making some minor schedule adjustments on selected routes starting January 1. But, there will be no changes to the stops, the routing, or the area served. You can find all the official route schedules effective January 1, 2012 by coming to this site after December 28th. You will be able to download and print all route schedules and timetables from this site after 3pm on December 28th.

The route adjustments we will make are based on a comprehensive analysis of all routes in the system. We found that on some routes, the schedule allowed insufficient time between stops. That meant that buses were sometimes late according to the schedule, because drivers were unable to keep up with the time allotted between stops. These changes will correct this situation.

Please refer to the Maps and Schedules page of this site to learn more about the new schedules and about the new 22L route, which is explained below. Starting January 1, you can also pick up a printed schedule on your bus, or at key transfer centers in the County.

Coming January 1:

New N22 Limited stop route (Hicksville-Jamaica via Westbury Ave/Hillside Ave)

Beginning January 1, customers travelling between Garden City and Jamaica will have a faster option, the N22L. The N22L is a new limited stop route that runs along the same corridor as the N22, but will bypass stops at Roosevelt Field and the Mineola Intermodal Center on selected trips during the morning and afternoon rush hours. We believe that many passengers will benefit from this new route and are excited to launch it.

Please note that the N22 will have no changes in its route and will continue to serve Roosevelt Field and Mineola Intermodal Center. The 22A will also have no changes in its route and will continue to serve Roosevelt Field.

Coming January 1:

N1 Valley Stream LIRR Service Reinstated.

Starting on January 1, we are reinstating the old service to the Valley Stream LIRR station on Route N1 for added passenger convenience.

Routes & Schedules

That's an awfully small order. I understood the last order for 40 (to retire what was left of the '98 buses) but why only 23?

An additional 20 buses are subject to funding approval. Buses replaced using any amount of federal funds have to be at least 12 years old. This means only the 2000 model year buses are eligible to be replaced.

Will these be 3G CNG's?

Yes.

As I mentioned before, that article is old news.

That said, though, I think someone posted a more recent confirmation that MetroCards would be allowed. But still no word on free transfers or unlimiteds (which to me is critical).

Metrocards will be used, same policy on transfers as before.

-Up to two transfers on NICE

-One Transfer to NYCT/MTA Bus or Subway

-One transfer from NYCT/MTA bus or Subway

-Transfer to NYCT Express buses with step up charge.

Unlimited cards can be used.

Maps & Schedules

My question is, if NICE has to get permission from Nassau County to raise fares, what happens when the MTA raises it's Unlimited Card prices?

Metrocards will be used, same policy on transfers as before.

-Up to two transfers on NICE

-One Transfer to NYCT/MTA Bus or Subway

-One transfer from NYCT/MTA bus or Subway

-Transfer to NYCT Express buses with step up charge.

Unlimited cards can be used.

Ohhh, I always thought it was one transfer throughout Nassau. That explains why I always got more bang for my buck on LI Bus trips.

My mom is interested in becoming a bus op for NICE, shes considering it after she gets whatever shes doing settled down and over with.

I dont know what to tell her about benefits, pay, hour,etc... anyone can give me a little info about that, and is there a union contract involved?

Thanks.

My mom is interested in becoming a bus op for NICE, shes considering it after she gets whatever shes doing settled down and over with.

I dont know what to tell her about benefits, pay, hour,etc... anyone can give me a little info about that, and is there a union contract involved?

Thanks.

It is a union position and a contract has not been negotiated yet. If one is not done by Jan 1, service will not run. Until the contract is negotiated, the pay and benefits is anyone's guess.

Not that long ago everyone was wondering if Veolia would accept metrocards, now not only will NICE accept metrocards but the metrocard is the "fare for all NICE buses." Interesting!

(from a schedule)

"The MTA MetroCard is the fare for all NICE buses. Buy or

refill a regular Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard, an Unlimited Ride

MetroCard, or the Single Ride ticket from the MetroCard

Vending Machines at the Hempstead Transit Center and at

any NYC Transit subway station. You can also add money

or time to reduced-fare MetroCards. Regular MetroCards

are also sold at LIRR stations. Neighborhood MetroCard

merchants also carry a selection of MetroCards."

"The MTA MetroCard is the fare for all NICE buses. Buy or

refill a regular Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard, an Unlimited Ride

MetroCard, or the Single Ride ticket from the MetroCard

Vending Machines at the Hempstead Transit Center and at

any NYC Transit subway station. You can also add money

or time to reduced-fare MetroCards. Regular MetroCards

are also sold at LIRR stations. Neighborhood MetroCard

merchants also carry a selection of MetroCards."

That's taken straight from an MTA LIB schedule.

I had to find out for myself (this was before I came back to read this thread), and here's my confirmation.

Roberto,

Thanks very much for your message. We appreciate your concern about the

future of the bus system in Nassau County, and you can be certain we're

working very hard to make the NICE a great system for Nassau County.

The NICE system will continue to use the Metrocard, in partnership with

the MTA. Because of legal requirements, this contract could not be

executed before the Legislature and NIFA had approved the overall

contract for the new bus system. Your fares, including transfers to the

MTA system in NYC and unlimited Metrocards, will not change.

Thanks again for your question. Have a great New Year and we look

forward to seeing you on the bus.

Best,

Dan

Excellent. At least for now, my bus-riding days aren't over. :tup:

(We'll see what happens later when routes start getting cut though....I mean, again, how the hell do they expect to run this efficiently on just $2.26 million? :confused:)

I had to find out for myself (this was before I came back to read this thread), and here's my confirmation.

Excellent. At least for now, my bus-riding days aren't over. :tup:

(We'll see what happens later when routes start getting cut though....I mean, again, how the hell do they expect to run this efficiently on just $2.26 million? :confused:)

one of my friends was an LIB planner trainee sadly he works in cleveland now with RTA.

However I understand it seems impossible but remember only a handful are really expensive to operate. Restructuring of some routes would do wonders in terms of ridership gain. Some lines I see have potential to grow if rerouted to stronger trip generators. Plus routes like N14 do not stand a chance it carries air. N45 also is a hopeless lost cause. All you can do is break off the unique routing and send it to another rte from hemppstead. ask pinepower and many others I will talk with a veolia guy I met a few days back

one of my friends was an LIB planner trainee sadly he works in cleveland now with RTA.

However I understand it seems impossible but remember only a handful are really expensive to operate. Restructuring of some routes would do wonders in terms of ridership gain. Some lines I see have potential to grow if rerouted to stronger trip generators. Plus routes like N14 do not stand a chance it carries air. N45 also is a hopeless lost cause. All you can do is break off the unique routing and send it to another rte from hemppstead. ask pinepower and many others I will talk with a veolia guy I met a few days back

The N45 is a prime example of how routing makes a difference, did anyone use it before the N43 was created? 2 routes, running along the same main road. one gets used, one doesn't, the one that gets used is new! I'm not sure what they can do with that route though.

Archived