Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The N8 had good intentions but the routing sucks. It runs along the N25 on Franklin Ave, so they steal riders from each other, depending on which bus comes first. Most of it's riders just want to get dropped off along Franklin Ave north of Dutch Broadway, or picked up and taken to the N6, the N25 can handle that. Some runs for both lines are scheduled mins apart, so you'll see a N8 and N25 running down Franklin Ave together, with one or the other basically empty, lame.

Then It runs along Dutch Broadway which is fine, most people had to walk from the N1 or N2.(and still do). The bus also runs like crap, It's just some route on 1 hour headways and therefore has no meaningful connections to the N4 or N6. Before this whole Violia thing, It would have been more useful to have the (Q83) or (Q4) cover Dutch Broadway. I think riders would rather go to Jamaica, or up Elmont Road to the N6, as opposed to Franklin Ave, though if the bus went to Hempstead it would have had higher ridership. It would have been a Hempstead-Green Acres bus, and an alternative to the crowded N6. Especially for those who would have had to transfer to the N1.

Originally the N3 ran from Green Acres to Hempstead, but it was shortened to Green Acres to Franklin Square about 25 years ago.

Joe

Cool. Did it use Hempstead Turnpike?

Yes it did. It ran to hempstead where the Rosa Parks terminal is now. It ended at Jackson and Station Plaza north of the old terminal.

Back then the N6 didnt end at the old terminal either. It ended at Washington Ave and Cooper Street Extension where the Associated supermarket is now.

Joe

Yes it did. It ran to hempstead where the Rosa Parks terminal is now. It ended at Jackson and Station Plaza north of the old terminal.

Back then the N6 didnt end at the old terminal either. It ended at Washington Ave and Cooper Street Extension where the Associated supermarket is now.

Joe

Oh that's pretty interesting. When was the terminal built?

I had to do a science lab involving the first MSBA map released in 1973. If I could get ahold of a map, I could try to scan it...

I think I saw a partial scan of a MSBA map somewhere, it showed a N5 bus following the N4 and turning on Central Ave(N1 routing) to head to the Mall.

I guess when the MTA extended the (Q5) and (Q85) to Green Acres, it wasn't needed anymore.

Since today is the last day of the MTA running Nassau buses. I felt it would be good to give you guys what MSBA routes were in 1975 when I first moved here from Queens.

N1 Elmont Rd & Hempstead Tpke to Green acres Mall with rush hour service to Jamaica Bus Terminal.

N2 Meacham Ave & Hempstead Tpke to Green Acres. with Rush hour service from Valley Stream State Park to Jamaica Bus Terminal

N3 Jackson Ave & Station Plaza, Hempstead to Green Acres. when they shortened it in about 1977 to Franklin Sq to the mall, they added a Rush hour N3 from Lakeview Ave & Ocean Ave to Jamaica Bus Terminal

N4 168th Place & 88th Ave Jamaica to freeport RR Station

N5 168th Place & 88th Ave Jamaica to Grant Park. in 1976 the N5 was changed from Valley Stream, Central Ave & Merrick Rd to Oceanside, Weidner Ave & Long Beach Rd.

N6 Jamaica Bus Terminal to Hempstead, Washington Ave & Cooper St Extension.

N14 Rockville Center Loop

N15 Roosevelt Field to Long Beach RR

N16 Hempstead Bus Terminal to Silver Lake, Baldwin

N17 Hempstead Bus Terminal to Rockville Centre RR

N19 Freeport RR to Babylon RR

N21 Flushing, Prince St & Roosevelt Ave to Glen Cove

N22 165th Street & Janaica Avenue to East Williston, Hillside Ave & Rex Ct.

N22A 165th street & Jamaica Avenue to Roosevelt Field via Hillside Ave.

N22B 165th Street & Jamaica Avenue to Hicksville Mid-Island Mall

N23 Manorhaven State Park to mineola RR

N24 165th Street & Jamaica Avenue to Roosevelt Field via Jericho Tpke.

N25 Great Neck RR to Lynbrook RR

N32C 5 Corners (Broadway & Merrick Rd) Lynbrook to Far Rockaway, B. 20th Street and Seagirt Blvd via Central Ave.

N32W 5 Corners (Broadway & Merrick Rd) Lynbrook to Far Rockaway, B. 20th & Seagirt Blvd via West Broadway

N33 B.21st Street & Mott Ave, Far Rockaway to Long Beach RR

N36 Post Ave & School Street, Westbury. The route ran to Hempstead Bus Terminal then made a loop following present day N35 to Grand Ave & Atlantic, then follows present day N36 to Lynbrook RR, then followed present day N31/32 back to Hempstead and then back to Westbury Post Ave & School Street.

N37 Post Ave & School Street, Westbury. This route ran the N36 in Reverse. to Hempstead, Lynbrook, Baldwin back to Hempstead and then to Westbury.

N38A Hempstead Bus Terminal. It ran the East Meadow loop that is present day N47PM Service

N38B Hempstead Bus Terminal . It ran the East Meadow Loop of present day N47AM Service

N39C Hempstead Bus Terminal to Hicksville Mid-Island Mall via Carmen Ave.

N39D Hempstead Bus Terminal to Hicksville Mid Island Mall via Newbridge Rd.

N39DD Hempstead Bus Terminal to Hicksville Mid Island mall via Duffy Ave

N40 Mineola RR to Freeport RR via N. Main Street

N40B Mineola RR to Freeport RR via Babylon Tpke

N42 Mineola RR Loop via 2nd Street, Roslyn Rd, Westbury Ave, Glen Cove Rd, Jericho Tpk , Roslyn rd and 2nd Street. this route lasted only a short time in 1976

N45 Roosevelt Field to Merrick Rd & Centre Ave Bellmore. In 1975 it had a slight diversion at Park Ave & Washington Ave in Roosevelt to Nassau Rd & Back

N51 Roosevelt Field to Merrick RR

N52 Hempstead Bus Terminal to Washington Ave & Merrick Rd, Seaford

N52B Hempstead Bus Terminal to Amityville RR

N53 Massapequa RR Loop via Park Blvd, carmens rd & front Street

N56 Great Neck RR Loop via Bayview Ave

N57 Great Neck RR Loop via Shore Rd

N58 Kings Pt Merchant Marine Academy to Great Neck RR'

N59 Great Neck RR to Mineola RR.via Marcus Ave & herricks Rd started in 1976, didnt last long

N62 Freeport RR Loop

N69 Long Beach RR to Point Lookout

N72 Hempstead Bus Terminal to Babylon RR

N72A Hempstead Bus Terminal to Farmingdale Conklin & Rte 110. This route left Hempstead Tpke at Jerusalem Ave, went North and then to some side streets, I dont remember them all but basically followed the Power Lines (Old LIRR Central Branch to Wantagh Ave, to 107, to Central ave, Stewert Ave Back to Hempstead Tpke.

N72C Hempstead Bus terminal to Levittown Loop via Hempstead Tpke, Centre Ave, North Jerusalem, Wantagh Ave to Hempstead Tpke and back

N72G Hempstead Bus Terminal to Levittown Loop via Hempstead Tpke, Gardiners Ave, North Jerusalem, Wantagh ave, Hempstead Tpke and back

N73 Hicksville Mid-Island Mall to Wantagh Merrick Rd & Wantagh Ave

N77 Glen Cove to Roosevelt Field with rush hour extension to Hempstead Bus Terminal (present day N27)

N79 Mineola RR to Walt Whitman Mall

N79A Mineola RR to Plainview Loop via Newton Rd, LIE South Service Rd to Old Country Rd

N80 Hicksville Mid Island Mall to Sunrise Mall via Broadway

N80A Hicksville Mid Island Mall to Sunrise Mall via Hicksville Rd.

N82 Levittown Division Ave & Hempstead Tpke to Bellmore Centre Ave & Merrick Rd.

JB21 Flushing Prince St & Roosevelt Ave to Jones Beach

JB24 Jamaica 165th & Jamaica Ave to Jones Beack

JB39 Hicksville RR to Jones Beach

JB62 Freeport RR to Jones Beach

JB73 Wantagh RR to Jones Beach

S40 Babylon RR to Patchogue RR, For a couple of years in the late 70s MSBA ran this route

LIRR Service Ronkonkoma RR to Greenport RR. Before the LIRR rehabbed those tracks there was no train service so MSBA ran it

Joe

Oh that's pretty interesting. When was the terminal built?

the Old terminal was there in 1975. the Rosa Parks Transit center opened in 1993

I think I saw a partial scan of a MSBA map somewhere, it showed a N5 bus following the N4 and turning on Central Ave(N1 routing) to head to the Mall.

I guess when the MTA extended the (Q5) and (Q85) to Green Acres, it wasn't needed anymore.

The N5 was discontinued about 30 years ago

Joe

Since today is the last day of the MTA running Nassau buses. I felt it would be good to give you guys what MSBA routes were in 1975 when I first moved here from Queens.

N1 Elmont Rd & Hempstead Tpke to Green acres Mall with rush hour service to Jamaica Bus Terminal.

N2 Meacham Ave & Hempstead Tpke to Green Acres. with Rush hour service from Valley Stream State Park to Jamaica Bus Terminal

N3 Jackson Ave & Station Plaza, Hempstead to Green Acres. when they shortened it in about 1977 to Franklin Sq to the mall, they added a Rush hour N3 from Lakeview Ave & Ocean Ave to Jamaica Bus Terminal

N4 168th Place & 88th Ave Jamaica to freeport RR Station

N5 168th Place & 88th Ave Jamaica to Grant Park. in 1976 the N5 was changed from Valley Stream, Central Ave & Merrick Rd to Oceanside, Weidner Ave & Long Beach Rd.

N6 Jamaica Bus Terminal to Hempstead, Washington Ave & Cooper St Extension.

N14 Rockville Center Loop

N15 Roosevelt Field to Long Beach RR

N16 Hempstead Bus Terminal to Silver Lake, Baldwin

N17 Hempstead Bus Terminal to Rockville Centre RR

N19 Freeport RR to Babylon RR

N21 Flushing, Prince St & Roosevelt Ave to Glen Cove

N22 165th Street & Janaica Avenue to East Williston, Hillside Ave & Rex Ct.

N22A 165th street & Jamaica Avenue to Roosevelt Field via Hillside Ave.

N22B 165th Street & Jamaica Avenue to Hicksville Mid-Island Mall

N23 Manorhaven State Park to mineola RR

N24 165th Street & Jamaica Avenue to Roosevelt Field via Jericho Tpke.

N25 Great Neck RR to Lynbrook RR

N32C 5 Corners (Broadway & Merrick Rd) Lynbrook to Far Rockaway, B. 20th Street and Seagirt Blvd via Central Ave.

N32W 5 Corners (Broadway & Merrick Rd) Lynbrook to Far Rockaway, B. 20th & Seagirt Blvd via West Broadway

N33 B.21st Street & Mott Ave, Far Rockaway to Long Beach RR

N36 Post Ave & School Street, Westbury. The route ran to Hempstead Bus Terminal then made a loop following present day N35 to Grand Ave & Atlantic, then follows present day N36 to Lynbrook RR, then followed present day N31/32 back to Hempstead and then back to Westbury Post Ave & School Street.

N37 Post Ave & School Street, Westbury. This route ran the N36 in Reverse. to Hempstead, Lynbrook, Baldwin back to Hempstead and then to Westbury.

N38A Hempstead Bus Terminal. It ran the East Meadow loop that is present day N47PM Service

N38B Hempstead Bus Terminal . It ran the East Meadow Loop of present day N47AM Service

N39C Hempstead Bus Terminal to Hicksville Mid-Island Mall via Carmen Ave.

N39D Hempstead Bus Terminal to Hicksville Mid Island Mall via Newbridge Rd.

N39DD Hempstead Bus Terminal to Hicksville Mid Island mall via Duffy Ave

N40 Mineola RR to Freeport RR via N. Main Street

N40B Mineola RR to Freeport RR via Babylon Tpke

N42 Mineola RR Loop via 2nd Street, Roslyn Rd, Westbury Ave, Glen Cove Rd, Jericho Tpk , Roslyn rd and 2nd Street. this route lasted only a short time in 1976

N45 Roosevelt Field to Merrick Rd & Centre Ave Bellmore. In 1975 it had a slight diversion at Park Ave & Washington Ave in Roosevelt to Nassau Rd & Back

N51 Roosevelt Field to Merrick RR

N52 Hempstead Bus Terminal to Washington Ave & Merrick Rd, Seaford

N52B Hempstead Bus Terminal to Amityville RR

N53 Massapequa RR Loop via Park Blvd, carmens rd & front Street

N56 Great Neck RR Loop via Bayview Ave

N57 Great Neck RR Loop via Shore Rd

N58 Kings Pt Merchant Marine Academy to Great Neck RR'

N59 Great Neck RR to Mineola RR.via Marcus Ave & herricks Rd started in 1976, didnt last long

N62 Freeport RR Loop

N69 Long Beach RR to Point Lookout

N72 Hempstead Bus Terminal to Babylon RR

N72A Hempstead Bus Terminal to Farmingdale Conklin & Rte 110. This route left Hempstead Tpke at Jerusalem Ave, went North and then to some side streets, I dont remember them all but basically followed the Power Lines (Old LIRR Central Branch to Wantagh Ave, to 107, to Central ave, Stewert Ave Back to Hempstead Tpke.

N72C Hempstead Bus terminal to Levittown Loop via Hempstead Tpke, Centre Ave, North Jerusalem, Wantagh Ave to Hempstead Tpke and back

N72G Hempstead Bus Terminal to Levittown Loop via Hempstead Tpke, Gardiners Ave, North Jerusalem, Wantagh ave, Hempstead Tpke and back

N73 Hicksville Mid-Island Mall to Wantagh Merrick Rd & Wantagh Ave

N77 Glen Cove to Roosevelt Field with rush hour extension to Hempstead Bus Terminal (present day N27)

N79 Mineola RR to Walt Whitman Mall

N79A Mineola RR to Plainview Loop via Newton Rd, LIE South Service Rd to Old Country Rd

N80 Hicksville Mid Island Mall to Sunrise Mall via Broadway

N80A Hicksville Mid Island Mall to Sunrise Mall via Hicksville Rd.

N82 Levittown Division Ave & Hempstead Tpke to Bellmore Centre Ave & Merrick Rd.

JB21 Flushing Prince St & Roosevelt Ave to Jones Beach

JB24 Jamaica 165th & Jamaica Ave to Jones Beack

JB39 Hicksville RR to Jones Beach

JB62 Freeport RR to Jones Beach

JB73 Wantagh RR to Jones Beach

S40 Babylon RR to Patchogue RR, For a couple of years in the late 70s MSBA ran this route

LIRR Service Ronkonkoma RR to Greenport RR. Before the LIRR rehabbed those tracks there was no train service so MSBA ran it

Joe

Wow! there were way more routes back then. Some are the same today.

some had minor reroutes for example the N4 got rerouted to Parsons/Archer

I saw 1772 and 1599(i rode that bus once) the Logo is sealed over.

Do you remember when the N4 was rerouted to Jamaica Center? I thought I read that the day it opened in 1988 the N4 was diverted to JC rather than following the N1/2/3/6 to 165th.

The old terminal was there for decades, but judging from Joe's list (and seeing the area where the terminal once was), space for buses was extremely tight. By the time the current Transit Center opened in 1993, half of those routes were gone.

There was also a demo of a DAC artic in 1982..

mid_MSBADAC1301_Jun82JC.jpg

Why didn't the MSBA/MTA take up on this?

Do you remember when the N4 was rerouted to Jamaica Center? I thought I read that the day it opened in 1988 the N4 was diverted to JC rather than following the N1/2/3/6 to 165th.

The old terminal was there for decades, but judging from Joe's list (and seeing the area where the terminal once was), space for buses was extremely tight. By the time the current Transit Center opened in 1993, half of those routes were gone.

So thanks to the HTC those routes got eliminated.;) Hmmm I see.

I dont think an Artic would be fit for LIB or NICE

Oh Yeah The rerouting of the N4 to Parsons/Archer was something i wanted to know. I even started a thread on that to get some answers.

The N4 went to Jamaica Center the day the station opened. The N4 before then started near the 169th street & Hillside Ave station. it stopped at the Jamaica bus terminal using the bays that the Q6,Q8,Q9, and Q41 use now. Green Bus lines used to have a seperate terminal back in the 1960`s on Archer Ave between New York Blvd (Now Guy R. Brewer Blvd.) and 165th Street. Schenck buses N22 & N24 used to service it also. The property was sold to Gertz Department stores which built a multi-level garage there. Green Line Q6,Q8,Q9, and Q41 were moved to start on 165th between Archer & Jamaica Aves. Schenck N22 and N24 were moved to 165th between Jamaica and 89th Ave where the 165th Street Mall is now

Yes it was tight, saw a number of buses scraping other buses pulling into the diagaonal bays.

I remember those artics being tested on the N21. Don`t know why they were never bought. It semed like MSBA was a place for the MTA to test buses. Nassau had the Gillig Phantoms which the city never purchased. MSBA had the first Orion 5`s back in the mid 80`s before the MTA bought some for NYC Transit. Same with the CNG buses.

Joe

Oh Yeah I saw the Orion 5/7s # 1772 and 1599 and 1623 on N1 and 1733 on the N4 the (MTA) LIB logo was sealed(it looked weird) over i guess they are getting ready. I think they're going to wrap the buses not paint them
Well damn... the MTA wasted no time in removing LIB entirely off of their website. Only the five boroughs in there now.

NICE is now underway!

The (MTA) also wasted no time removing the (MTA) logo from the top of Mitchell Field, it was gone by thur/fri.

Well damn... the MTA wasted no time in removing LIB entirely off of their website. Only the five boroughs in there now.

NICE is now underway!

They should have a redirect to the NICE website, but it's no suprise, (MTA) just couldn't wait to get out of here. Now I imagine they are slapping new tape and NICE logos on the buses tonight.

They should have a redirect to the NICE website, but it's no suprise, (MTA) just couldn't wait to get out of here. Now I imagine they are slapping new tape and NICE logos on the buses tonight.

Well the buses are being repainted, it's more than just putting an EVIL logo where the Long Island Bus logo used to be. They're giving the buses an entire new look.

In one of the maps it shows the N8 heading to Hempstead , but never heard of the N3 going towards Hempstead

The MTA originally planned to run the N8 to Hempstead via Hempstead Turnpike and Front St, but I think they lacked the funding or something so they put a hold on those plans. The N8 always had its current terminal in Franklin Square, but they forgot to remove it from the map before publishing it

Well the buses are being repainted, it's more than just putting an EVIL logo where the Long Island Bus logo used to be. They're giving the buses an entire new look.

I've seen 2 buses in service so far that haven't been repainted yet.

Archived