Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It already takes five minutes to get from the terminal to Terrace Avenue. If there are still seats, they'll all be taken by Westminster Road and it only gets worse. I have gotten on Orion Vs on the N6 with no one on them, but they got packed quick. The transfer to the 25 is also dangerous with asshats trying to turn onto the Turnpike from Franklin Avenue gunning it at the green. With the 32, I just walk around a corner and the stop is there, plus it only gets crowded after 2:40.

Oddly enough the transfer structure held up today. I wonder what was causing it...

It already takes five minutes to get from the terminal to Terrace Avenue. If there are still seats, they'll all be taken by Westminster Road and it only gets worse. I have gotten on Orion Vs on the N6 with no one on them, but they got packed quick. The transfer to the 25 is also dangerous with asshats trying to turn onto the Turnpike from Franklin Avenue gunning it at the green. With the 32, I just walk around a corner and the stop is there, plus it only gets crowded after 2:40.

Oddly enough the transfer structure held up today. I wonder what was causing it...

If you get on at the terminal then you should have a seat, no? Do you take the N6 Limited? It's only 3 stops to Franklin Ave (although it will not exist next month).

As for the transfer structure I'm not sure whats going on.

I just saw something absolutely pathetic: two eastbound N79's, both in service, about 5 minutes apart. The headway at this time of day is 60 minutes! Thank god I was in a car.

I've seen a LOT of bus bunching lately. NICE said their next priority is to focus on bus bunching, I sure hope so!

Thursday, during rush hour I saw 5 buses in a row on Hempstead Turnpike heading to Jamaica. That makes no sense. I'm sure it was a mixture of N6, N6 Limiteds and N1's but I couldn't see the route numbers.

Wednesday, I saw 3 N6's in a row heading to Jamaica

Tuesday, 2 N6's bunched at 10:45PM on 20 min headways!

What about going to Roosevelt Field and taking the n22 or N24 to the N25?

Sounds like it would take longer. The N24 sucks, and the N22 is further north, so that would make the N25 ride longer. Though, the N25 is more frequent going south in the evenings. So that may be a good alternative.

The N31 and 32 are far less crowded and are more direct routes to the 25. With the N6, not only does it get incredibly packed (never mind the 60+ foot long lines most of the day at the terminal before anyone gets on) people always get off or on at every stop. It's also a longer trip considering how people get off so frequently. And I'd rather walk than take an NG on that. Never again...

This is ironic considering tomorrow after class I get off early and plan on picking some food up before going home, and I'm taking the N6 to NHP because there aren't any fast food places in Malverne along Hempstead Avenue.

The N31 and 32 are far less crowded and are more direct routes to the 25. With the N6, not only does it get incredibly packed (never mind the 60+ foot long lines most of the day at the terminal before anyone gets on) people always get off or on at every stop. It's also a longer trip considering how people get off so frequently. And I'd rather walk than take an NG on that. Never again...

This is ironic considering tomorrow after class I get off early and plan on picking some food up before going home, and I'm taking the N6 to NHP because there aren't any fast food places in Malverne along Hempstead Avenue.

You could walk to McDonalds or Moe's Southwest Grill on Stewart Ave. Or, you can walk to the mall, take the N15 to the Burger King on Fulton Ave, then take the N32 to Franklin Ave as usual.

N24 to the Taco Bell just before NHP Rd, and the N25.

Mid-day on the N6 is usually ok though.

The first bus had a handful of people on it, the second one or two.

It's possible that the second bus was deadheading, so the dispatcher said to put up a sign just in case anybody happened to be waiting who missed the first bus. For instance, I remember once I saw 2 S89s, but at that interval, there was only supposed to be one (it was the first S89 back to SI). The first one had the usual couple of standees, and the second one had nobody, but maybe the guy felt like putting up a sign just to be nice.

Or, of course it could've been regular bunching.

The point of all that is, I only take the N6 when absolutely necessary.

Or when I feel like going to the city, I take it to 179th and then the (F) to Kew Gardens and transfer to the (E) there. That won't happen until April, it's cold.

Why not just walk to Jamaica Center you get the transfer to the E.

Why not just walk to Jamaica Center you get the transfer to the E.

Because if I'm coming from NCC or somewhere else not near the N4 or the LIRR, I'm sure as hell not walking from 165th to Jamaica Center. It's quicker for me to take an (F) and transfer. But I still hate the NTTs I have to ride on those things.

Because if I'm coming from NCC or somewhere else not near the N4 or the LIRR, I'm sure as hell not walking from 165th to Jamaica Center. It's quicker for me to take an (F) and transfer. But I still hate the NTTs I have to ride on those things.

So are you going to try the N22 and/or N6 express for that trip?

I remember taking the 16 to the 24. That was a bad mistake but the bus operator kept that NG moving along Jericho Turnpike. Things got slower when he crossed the CIP, though...

The Orion V I got on earlier didn't give me a 2nd transfer... I'm emailing them tomorrow. When I did my "trip" Friday I got extremely lucky; when I came out of the Wendy's and crossed Hempstead Turnpike to the stop I wasn't even there five minutes before the 25 showed up. B/O probably didn't go past 25 MPH the entire trip...

Those service cuts would have REALLY hurt.

Looks like NICE posted what looks like it's FIRST service Alert:

PLANNED DETOUR, Saturday, March 31st for n19: Route

On the morning of Saturday, March 31st, at 8:45 a.m., n19 buses will be detoured on Merrick Road between Park Blvd and Unqua Road, and along Unqua Road as well, due to a parade. The parade should be finished by 10:30 a.m., and we will resume normal service shortly thereafter. Buses will be rerouted during this time frame along Park Blvd. and Sunrise Highway.

Please allow additional travel time on this morning, to ensure you arrive at your destination on time.

Service Alerts

Looks like NICE posted what looks like it's FIRST service Alert:

A bit confusingly worded, and whoever put it up was lazy to type out the formatting for "n19" and just copied it from the service changes page without removing the colon nor the italics.

Archived