Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

Im surprised they are cutting even more funding for "NICE" from $9 million to $2.26 Million...

http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-news/2011/nov/10/long-island-bus-privatize/

This is very sarcastic idea to call bus service NICE

Besides that, idk why its called Nassau Inter-County Express. Its not even Express service..

At least its no longer called Long Island Bus, which makes it sound like whole island.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's look at the pieces of the name. Inter County Express. That hints to me of a significant reduction in service not going to Queens and the creation of some form of LIE commuter service.

NICE would be more fitting for those inter-county express buses themselves, rather than for the whole system. They should've come up with a different name.

they probably need less maintenance workers because they are probably planning on not having an overnight crew in the depot for maintenance...even though that would be an incredibly stupid thing for them to do

Would that mean that overnight N4 & N6 service would be eliminated?

NICE would be more fitting for those inter-county express buses themselves, rather than for the whole system. They should've come up with a different name.

Would that mean that overnight N4 & N6 service would be eliminated?

those lines are too full to even reduce overnight service. impossible they run at a profit. any line that runs at a profit will NEVER GET REDUCED. what they need to do is restructure the weak lines so their ridership can increase enough to get raised above financial standards.

those lines are too full to even reduce overnight service. impossible they run at a profit. any line that runs at a profit will NEVER GET REDUCED. what they need to do is restructure the weak lines so their ridership can increase enough to get raised above financial standards.

They are restructuring the whole system.

Another recent Newsday Article: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=DC0ABF511A579086CA61.3161?site=newsday&view=longisland_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=longisland&feed:i=1.3312718&nopaging=1

Under the new contract, Veolia has the ability to cut 6 routes in the first half of 2012 should they realize that they're losing money. And according to the article, Veolia probably already has cuts in mind. What 6 routes do you think they would cut?

I remember someone saying that the N33 might go, because the tolls that have to be paid to use the Altantic Beach Bridge to travel to Queens just aren't worth it.

The N33 is the only Long Island Bus I ever have and probably ever will ride.

Stinks that the N33 might see the axe but if this means my mom will stop forcing my bros and I onto that ride on the (A) and we can start taking the LIRR to Long Beach full-time (or just get driven there), I won't be too upset :(

another recent newsday article: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;jsessionid=dc0abf511a579086ca61.3161?site=newsday&view=longisland_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=longisland&feed:i=1.3312718&nopaging=1

under the new contract, veolia has the ability to cut 6 routes in the first half of 2012 should they realize that they're losing money. And according to the article, veolia probably already has cuts in mind. What 6 routes do you think they would cut?

n14,n73,n62,n80,n50,n51

The only routes that make a profit are the N40/N41. That's it. The N4 and N6 come close, but don't make a profit. I've told you this before and you keep on insisting that they do.

Another recent Newsday Article: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=DC0ABF511A579086CA61.3161?site=newsday&view=longisland_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=longisland&feed:i=1.3312718&nopaging=1

Under the new contract, Veolia has the ability to cut 6 routes in the first half of 2012 should they realize that they're losing money. And according to the article, Veolia probably already has cuts in mind. What 6 routes do you think they would cut?

And here's the report for anybody who wants it (by the way, I can't help thinking that Gold_12TH on Subchat is somebody on here)

* http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WW1T7BAX (Part 1: 108 pages)

* http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PER4AVNQ (Part 2: 98 pages)

* http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0NE4BTCG (Part 3: 126 pages)

One question for anybody who feels like flipping through those 332 pages: Are they allowed to restructure routes, or just cut them?

I'm not sure I know what you mean.....

It's a joke. QJT is always talking about how he wants to make "regional rtes" and he's saying that they're going to do that when they restructure them (which I doubt they realistically will)

n14,n73,n62,n80,n50,n51

Makes sense. Add the N8 to that list as well (in place of either the N50 or N51)

....Under the new contract, Veolia has the ability to cut 6 routes in the first half of 2012 should they realize that they're losing money. And according to the article, Veolia probably already has cuts in mind. What 6 routes do you think they would cut?

N2, 8, 33, 50, 54, 73

I think they'd go for the gusto, so to speak.... whichever routes cost the most amt. of money to run, I think they'd look to rid themselves of, first..... I think they'll keep the little shuttle routes around before they get rid of the bigger worthless fish (in their eyes).... Remember, this is a private company; more money for them to pocket in the fastest way possible.

(by the way, I can't help thinking that Gold_12TH on Subchat is somebody on here)

iono, I don't think he's a member on here....

from what I notice, all that guy does is post transit-related newspaper articles, or actual bus route updates....

One question for anybody who feels like flipping through those 332 pages: Are they allowed to restructure routes, or just cut them?

lol.... I aint sifting through 300 pages of any PDF either... loads too slow..

But that's a good question.

Article from Nassau County Press.

[quote name=Mangano Launches "NICE" Bus Service

Saves Taxpayers $32.4 Million Annually ]Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano today announced a contract agreement with Veolia Transportation to manage and operate Long Island Bus under a new name – Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE) – starting January 1, 2012. The contract maintains current fares and the Able-Ride service area. The contract, which saves taxpayers over $32 million annually, was submitted this week to the Nassau County Legislature for review and approval. The County Legislature is expected to hold a public hearing on the contract prior to voting on the agreement.

“Nassau’s public-private partnership with Veolia symbolizes a new, smarter and more efficient way of providing services in Nassau County. No longer will the choices be limited to demanding more subsidies from taxpayers or slashing service. Today marks a new era of reliable service for riders, job opportunities for employees and reduced costs for local taxpayers,” said County Executive Mangano. “All across this nation, taxpayers are demanding that governments spend less. Nassau County is doing just that. This public sector service will now have a private sector operator to provide a cost effective service. Simply put, Nassau will provide a service taxpayers can afford.”

The contract outlines a fully transparent, business-minded process with public oversight for development of an annual budget based on available funds and service demands. This approach was specifically designed to avoid the upheaval and unpredictability that occurred just this past spring when the MTA held public hearings to eliminate more than half of the Long Island Bus routes, strand disabled riders, lay off hundreds of workers and increase by $26 million the burden which residents must pay through property taxes. Nassau’s NICE Bus plan:

- Saves taxpayers $32.4 million annually when compared to the (MTA)’s demand. The annual taxpayer direct subsidy will decrease from $9 million to $2.62 million, saving local taxpayers $6.38 million in addition to not having to pay the (MTA) $26 million a year.

- Maintains current fares. Fares cannot be raised unless approved by a 100% Nassau County Resident Transit Committee rather than the (MTA) Board with only one Nassau County representative.

- Preserves the Able-Ride service area for 2012 and 2013, rather than implement the (MTA)s proposed cuts.

- Restores the (MTA)s proposed route cuts.

- Increases transparency and oversight through the establishment of a Transit Committee, comprised of public transit professionals accountable to Nassau County, to provide quarterly and annual reviews of the private management and operation of the transit system.

- Insures customer satisfaction through an annual customer scorecard that measures time performance, service reliability, trips that are missed and bus cleanliness.

- Consolidates duplicative work and inefficiencies.

“Through this public-private partnership, Nassau County will provide reliable bus service that taxpayers can afford,” added Mangano.

“The county’s bus system is a vital transportation link for thousands of riders who use it to commute to work, get to school, visit the doctor, shop or take other important daily trips.The mandate for our partnership with Nassau County is to meet the needs and the expectations of the riding public -- both current customers and future new customers – by maintaining an affordable, reliable, high-quality bus system,” said Mike Setzer, Veolia’s Chief Executive Officer for NICE.Setzer is a life-long transit professional who has been in charge of the bus systems in Cincinnati, St. Louis and Minneapolis-St. Paul.Veolia Transportation is a leader in managing transit systems for cities and counties in the U.S. and Canada.

Really? "NICE?" Wow. This really threw me off. Like the paint scheme IF that's the official paint scheme. Again, as I stated earlier...I will wait and see of Nassau County residents think N.I.C.E. will be "NICE" to them.

...and watching NEWS 12 Long Island a couple of days ago, Veolia was talking about cutting buses of certain routes. The routes were not mentioned but as of right now, N.I.C.E. is not being so NICE.

Although NEVER FEAR! Ed Mangano is here! LMAO! Oh sorry. Did I actually type that? :P

I just watched that video. Funny how they want to throw MTA under the bus, while leading people to believe they aren't going to make any service cuts. I have absolutely no respect for that man anymore. He stood up there and blatantly misled people while bashing the MTA with this RGRTA guy. How unprofessional is that? I can't wait to see NICE in 2013!

I have no doubt Veolia can run the system efficiently, but we can do without all the propaganda and the illusion that NICE will be so much better than MTA.

Archived