Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

WOW; they're cutting out the ENTIRE southeast part of the county! Even Sunrise (N19!) The only thing left will be the Hempstead-Sunrise Mall route. And it's not even like the area is so underpopulated!

That was the proposed MTA cuts, not the planned cuts.

Mangano's inner thought is probably "we can make as many cuts as we want so long it doesn't get as bad as the MTA's proposal". Hence the 25% cap.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was the proposed MTA cuts, not the planned cuts.

Mangano's inner thought is probably "we can make as many cuts as we want so long it doesn't get as bad as the MTA's proposal". Hence the 25% cap.

they might even tweak the frequencies on the lightly used routes at first, turning em into rush hour only routes. I doubt its going to be as bad as people think. Give em a chance, when in another few years when things pick up, they might get more money.

...and watching NEWS 12 Long Island a couple of days ago, Veolia was talking about cutting buses of certain routes. The routes were not mentioned but as of right now, N.I.C.E. is not being so NICE.

Although NEVER FEAR! Ed Mangano is here! LMAO! Oh sorry. Did I actually type that? ;)

WOW; they're cutting out the ENTIRE southeast part of the county! Even Sunrise (N19!) The only thing left will be the Hempstead-Sunrise Mall route. And it's not even like the area is so underpopulated!

Gentlemen, the devil is in the details.

LIBUS2.jpeg

Of course they're going to restore those cuts.

How else would they be able to save those $32.4 million? :)

they might even tweak the frequencies on the lightly used routes at first, turning em into rush hour only routes. I doubt its going to be as bad as people think. Give em a chance, when in another few years when things pick up, they might get more money.

I will have to side with the foxie on this one don't count the chickens before they hatch. There is a strategy behind it and there is a way to improve financial performance of the routes. Some need to be done over completely

are these the routes they will cut OR are these the routes you THINK they will cut???

n14,n73,n62,n80,n50,n51

They're the routes he thinks are going to be cut, hence to the question I asked of everyone's predictions.

@PinePower Why do you think the 73 and not the 74, and the 80 not the 81. What's your reasoning?

If Veolia is smart, then they'll cut the routes that share headways with routes that aren't getting cut. For example, cut the 73, 80, 21, 78, 57, 14. Don't cut the 74, 81, 20, 27, 79, 58.

n14,n73,n62,n80,n50,n51

They're the routes he thinks are going to be cut, hence to the question I asked of everyone's predictions.

@PinePower Why do you think the 73 and not the 74, and the 80 not the 81. What's your reasoning?

If Veolia is smart, then they'll cut the routes that share headways with routes that aren't getting cut. For example, cut the 73, 80, 21, 78, 57, 14. Don't cut the 74, 81, 20, 27, 79, 58.

Because the N73 pretty much duplicates the N74, and goes through a residential section of Levittown where I've seen nobody board.

The N80 seems to have lighter ridership than the 81, the 81 seems to get alot of pax from the vocational schools and new office complexes along Stewart Ave in Bethpage.

The N21 gets good ridership to Glen Cove, I've never seen a bus under 50% full.

I'm still very concerned....may need to start walking places now.

Still no mention of the Metrocard usage in the press release. I know others linked to a statement about the Metrocard earlier, but that's an old statement and who knows if they'll even keep it now? If not, that's definitely it for my LI Bus-riding days. NICE? Oh come on. Not so.

Doesn't restore cuts mean the cuts will go through? If so, damn, the South Shore's really getting the short end of the stick. Anyone who's still there, time to get the hell outta there!

I mean, $2 million and change to run this company? Mangano is, in a word, HIGH.

I'm still very concerned....may need to start walking places now.

Still no mention of the Metrocard usage in the press release. I know others linked to a statement about the Metrocard earlier, but that's an old statement and who knows if they'll even keep it now? If not, that's definitely it for my LI Bus-riding days. NICE? Oh come on. Not so.

Doesn't restore cuts mean the cuts will go through? If so, damn, the South Shore's really getting the short end of the stick. Anyone who's still there, time to get the hell outta there!

I mean, $2 million and change to run this company? Mangano is, in a word, HIGH.

very high rgrta is nothing like nassau their service areas are very different what works in one area won't in another area. rgrta can easily abandon certain parts of its system to power up trailways service via genesso. Merge a few via highway. LI DOESN'T have that flexibility or luxury and is much more dense than rochester.

Because the N73 pretty much duplicates the N74, and goes through a residential section of Levittown where I've seen nobody board.

The N80 seems to have lighter ridership than the 81, the 81 seems to get alot of pax from the vocational schools and new office complexes along Stewart Ave in Bethpage.

The N21 gets good ridership to Glen Cove, I've never seen a bus under 50% full.

Same exact reason I chose the N73...

I mean they could, but I don't think they'll get rid of the N80 or the 81 before they get rid of service down there in Elmont & Valley Stream... I think they'll get rid of the 2 & the 8 before the 80 & the 81...... they may even consider the 1 & get rid of everything in that pocket of the county....

Like I mentioned before, they're not gonna wanna pay the toll on the 33 b/w far rockaway & atlantic beach.... I think that's gonna be one of the first to go.... The dinky shuttles (N14's, 62's, etc) they'll probably get rid of later on down the line...

If so, damn, the South Shore's really getting the short end of the stick. Anyone who's still there, time to get the hell outta there!

I'm sure most of them will be fine. Its Massapequa, North Wantagh, Levittown, Merrick, etc. those neighborhoods are middle class neighborhoods, and the low end area near the county line has the 71 still running there.

I'm sure most of them will be fine. Its Massapequa, North Wantagh, Levittown, Merrick, etc. those neighborhoods are middle class neighborhoods, and the low end area near the county line has the 71 still running there.

hmm you gave me an idea interesting. before I would make any cuts I would restructure some lines so their ridership can strengthen restructure a few to be more cost efficient. Then after that I would know what to cut if I were them.

N14 won't surprise as it carries air. B35 however is a bit right about N2 and N8 those can easily fit better shockingly enough with MTA queens routes rather than nassau's system especially the N8!!!!!!!

N8,N14 and N47 can bite the dust. N74/73,N50 and N46 need to be literally done over some extend others reroute to strengthen ridership. N16 is one route they need to rethink

Here is a list fo routes that should be cut with a reason why:

N14- The route is very short and has close to no ridership.

N21- Overlays or runs near the N20 and N27

N22A- Overlays the N22

N31-Overlays the N32

N33-Costs too much to operate for it's legnth and ridership.

N49-Overlays the N48

N54-Overlays the N55

N62-Low ridership

N72-Overlays the N70/N71.

N80-Low ridership

N22A- Overlays the N22

N31-Overlays the N32

N49-Overlays the N48

N54-Overlays the N55

N62-Low ridership

N80-Low ridership

The N21, N22A, and N31 act as crowd control for the N20/N27, N22, and N32 respectively, so it's unlikely that they'll be cut (maybe they'll have the span or frequency reduced), but cutting the route outright would result in additional service having to be added to the routes that they parallel, which would negate much of the savings.

The N49 is the more popular of the two. That's why it has Sunday service and the N48 doesn't.

As for the N72, if you really want to cut one of the Hempstead Turnpike routes, it should be the N70 (Unless you want SCT to take over the portion along Route 109)

The N21, N22A, and N31 act as crowd control for the N20/N27, N22, and N32 respectively, so it's unlikely that they'll be cut (maybe they'll have the span or frequency reduced), but cutting the route outright would result in additional service having to be added to the routes that they parallel, which would negate much of the savings.

The N49 is the more popular of the two. That's why it has Sunday service and the N48 doesn't.

As for the N72, if you really want to cut one of the Hempstead Turnpike routes, it should be the N70 (Unless you want SCT to take over the portion along Route 109)

Your last point on the N70 underscores the potential importance of a transportation hub @ Rte 110 and Conklin ( the old LIRR stop) where NICE would hook up with SCT and the LIRR (still part of the MTA master plan). I don't know the percentage of Farmingdale State students that ride the N70 since the N95 went bye bye.

Having read the proposed law (not the contract), I already see some problems:

-The County Executive can reduce the power of the Transit Committee every Jan 1.

-Only the initial Committee must contain a member appointed by the majority and one by the minority. After that the Executive appoints everyone.

-Members of the Committee can be paid.

-SEQRA Environmental review is not necessary.

N22A- Overlays the N22

N31-Overlays the N32

N49-Overlays the N48

N54-Overlays the N55

N62-Low ridership

N80-Low ridership

WOW this list is very foolish obviously you haven't used any of those routes if ya did you wouldn't have created this list. N21 is always full a terrible idea. N22A is also always full VERY BAD IDEA. N31 is crowded you must be joking.

N33 is the only line connecting long beach o far rockaway and Q113 how about no!!!!! N49 I dare you to say that on the N49 bus I dare ya.

N54 LMAO you will start a riot on that line. Ohh FYI it is timed with several LIRR trains at amityville and other stations look at the schedules.

N72 err you have to be on crack to think this line should be cut take the N72 and you will know what I mean.

The only cut you made that makes sense is N14 that's it. The rest were not even thought out. N80 I have a special way of dealing with it.

Archived