Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

Your last point on the N70 underscores the potential importance of a transportation hub @ Rte 110 and Conklin ( the old LIRR stop) where NICE would hook up with SCT and the LIRR (still part of the MTA master plan). I don't know the percentage of Farmingdale State students

If Republic station could be rebuilt. It would make it easier to access the Route 110 corridor from that line. Farmingdale LIRR station is nowhere near SUNY Farmingdale or Route 110, its about 3-4 miles away closer to downtown farmingdale.

I also advocate for the restoration of weekend West Hempstead branch service, it would be great if they could set it up like the new canaan branch, put a platform and another track at the north end of valley stream station, so it doesnt conflict with other train service on that line.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your last point on the N70 underscores the potential importance of a transportation hub @ Rte 110 and Conklin ( the old LIRR stop) where NICE would hook up with SCT and the LIRR (still part of the MTA master plan). I don't know the percentage of Farmingdale State students that ride the N70 since the N95 went bye bye.

N70 carries very well and should stay as is. I use it enough to know this. All N72 trips however need to be extended to babylon then adjusted to meet LIRR trains there. mostly east bound trains and N72 should also pull in directly into the farmingdale LIRR station on select runs that can meet the LIRR

More stuff from the contract itself:

Service cuts

-Up to 6 routes in the first 6 months may be eliminated provided that the majority of passengers have an alternate within one mile.

-Any trip with occupancy <20% seated load or >80% subsidy can be "adjusted"

-No paratransit reductions until Jan 1 2014.

-Veolia can adjust frequency/timepoints freely.

Subsidy

-All subsidy amounts subject to change each year

-County pays fixed fee to cover everything EXCEPT driver/mechanic salaries+benefits, bus parts, insurance, workers comp, fuel.

-This fee for 2012 is $2,319,664.

-Veolia bills county by the platform hour (bus hour) for those 5 things.

-This fee for 2012 is $87.12 per hr for bus, $55.81 per hr for paratransit.

-County shall pay fixed fee in monthly increments each month.

-Veolia bills county for platform hour fees each month, less fare and ad revenue.

-County must pay platform hour bill within 30 days.

Major events

-A 13c claim is specifically mentioned as an example of a major event.

-Veolia can do any of these freely if a major event occurs: cut service less than 25% on any route, implement any reduction in service >6 months.

-Committee approval and public hearing required for >25% cut or ANY fare hike.

Service cuts

-Up to 6 routes in the first 6 months may be eliminated provided that the majority of passengers have an alternate within one mile.

-No paratransit reductions until Jan 1 2014.

Subsidy

-All subsidy amounts subject to change each year

-County pays fixed fee to cover everything EXCEPT driver/mechanic salaries+benefits, bus parts, insurance, workers comp, fuel.

-This fee for 2012 is $2,319,664.

-Veolia bills county by the platform hour (bus hour) for those 5 things.

-This fee for 2012 is $87.12 per hr for bus, $55.81 per hr for paratransit.

-County shall pay fixed fee in monthly increments each month.

-Veolia bills county for platform hour fees each month, less fare and ad revenue.

-County must pay platform hour bill within 30 days.

I guess it's not as bad as I thought

Service cuts

Major events

-A 13c claim is specifically mentioned as an example of a major event.

-Veolia can do any of these freely if a major event occurs: cut service less than 25% on any route, implement any reduction in service >6 months.

-Committee approval and public hearing required for >25% cut or ANY fare hike.

I guess its better than the MTA, who wanted to cut routes that had no alternative. I based my proposed cuts off the mile mark too, so I guess that's not that bad. However, schedule reductions can happen anytime without notification by Veolia is not right. I guess that's what we get though. There will still be ad revenue which is good I guess, though most of the ads I saw on buses were the bulls**t "We Care" ads by the (MTA). And with the fare hikes, the public hearings never do anything. The (MTA) and the county went to the hearings in 2010, and routes were still cut. Then the hearings in 2011 for the (MTA) to keep running Long Island Bus were thrown right out the window by the unanimous vote to break ties with the county. To all these people running public transportation, $$$ > the people's needs. I understand that $$ is needed to run these things, but why have a public hearing if it never does anything. Didn't the county just postpone the hearing scheduled this week anyway?

I guess its better than the MTA, who wanted to cut routes that had no alternative. I based my proposed cuts off the mile mark too, so I guess that's not that bad. However, schedule reductions can happen anytime without notification by Veolia is not right. I guess that's what we get though. There will still be ad revenue which is good I guess, though most of the ads I saw on buses were the bulls**t "We Care" ads by the (MTA). And with the fare hikes, the public hearings never do anything. The (MTA) and the county went to the hearings in 2010, and routes were still cut. Then the hearings in 2011 for the (MTA) to keep running Long Island Bus were thrown right out the window by the unanimous vote to break ties with the county. To all these people running public transportation, $$$ > the people's needs. I understand that $$ is needed to run these things, but why have a public hearing if it never does anything. Didn't the county just postpone the hearing scheduled this week anyway?

It's a lot more to it than that. If the MTA didn't care, they would have dropped LIB ages ago. Why don't we all just wait and see what happens. Politics pay a big roll in all of this, and there is a lot that comes with running a transit system. It's nowhere near as easy as people think it is.

So let's just stay out of the politics of this and what should and shouldn't be done because none of that matters. This is especially directed at the people who don't know what it takes to run a TA.

Is NICE going to re-number the entire Long Island Bus Fleet, again?

I don't think they'll really have the need to. The MTA did it, I think, because they planned to consolidate Long Island Bus with all their other bus operations.

Can somebody sending put mobile newsday link for this article?

Hearing set on Veolia bus contract Dec. 12

Thank you.

Hearing date has been moved up to the 5th.

Is NICE going to re-number the entire Long Island Bus Fleet, again?

As of right now, no.

I don't think they'll really have the need to. The MTA did it, I think, because they planned to consolidate Long Island Bus with all their other bus operations.

That's exactly why MTA did it.

WOW this list is very foolish obviously you haven't used any of those routes if ya did you wouldn't have created this list. N21 is always full a terrible idea. N22A is also always full VERY BAD IDEA. N31 is crowded you must be joking.

N33 is the only line connecting long beach o far rockaway and Q113 how about no!!!!! N49 I dare you to say that on the N49 bus I dare ya.

N54 LMAO you will start a riot on that line. Ohh FYI it is timed with several LIRR trains at amityville and other stations look at the schedules.

N72 err you have to be on crack to think this line should be cut take the N72 and you will know what I mean.

The only cut you made that makes sense is N14 that's it. The rest were not even thought out. N80 I have a special way of dealing with it.

You obviously dont ride the N31 enough. The N31, although is "crowd Control", is not really needed. Those riders arent exclusive to the West Broadway Portion of the route. They can eliminate the N31, add a few of those buses to the N32, save money and may even, if ridership demands it-which it does and will, slightly increase N32 service. Just because a bus is crowded, doesnt mean its really needed when its separate from its suppliment for only about what, a mile or two? DOnt just think its ALL about crowds. Cut the 31, add a few of its buses/runs to the 32, and everyone is happy!

You obviously dont ride the N31 enough. The N31, although is "crowd Control", is not really needed. Those riders arent exclusive to the West Broadway Portion of the route. They can eliminate the N31, add a few of those buses to the N32, save money and may even, if ridership demands it-which it does and will, slightly increase N32 service. Just because a bus is crowded, doesnt mean its really needed when its separate from its suppliment for only about what, a mile or two? DOnt just think its ALL about crowds. Cut the 31, add a few of its buses/runs to the 32, and everyone is happy!

N31 is a variant of N32 with only a very slight difference they have good combined service. How will it save money if you simply call it N32 and reroute it??? N31 and N32 your suggestion is cost neutral and not a cost cutting move

N31 is a variant of N32 with only a very slight difference they have good combined service. How will it save money if you simply call it N32 and reroute it??? N31 and N32 your suggestion is cost neutral and not a cost cutting move

Think about it this way: On the weekends, the N31/N32 run every 40 minutes each. However, ridership on the combined section might only warrant 30 minute service, so if the N31 is cut and buses are shifted to the N32, it's easier to obtain that frequency.

Let's say a bus can hold 70 people (and say, 80 is considered crushloaded). The N32 might be carrying 70 riders and the N31 might be carrying 50 riders when the buses run every 40 minutes each. If you reduce service to run every 30 minutes on one route, then each bus will be carrying the full 70 riders.

Think about it this way: On the weekends, the N31/N32 run every 40 minutes each. However, ridership on the combined section might only warrant 30 minute service, so if the N31 is cut and buses are shifted to the N32, it's easier to obtain that frequency.

Let's say a bus can hold 70 people (and say, 80 is considered crushloaded). The N32 might be carrying 70 riders and the N31 might be carrying 50 riders when the buses run every 40 minutes each. If you reduce service to run every 30 minutes on one route, then each bus will be carrying the full 70 riders.

Wrong the combined part of the route has 20 min service therefore what you are suggesting is a service cut.

Wrong the combined part of the route has 20 min service therefore what you are suggesting is a service cut.

Are you blind?????? I said 40 minutes each. That means 20 minutes combined. I know how to read a schedule thank you very much.

Yes it's a service cut. That's the damn point. You asked how it would save money and that's how.

Are you blind?????? I said 40 minutes each. That means 20 minutes combined. I know how to read a schedule thank you very much.

Yes it's a service cut. That's the damn point. You asked how it would save money and that's how.

AGAIN very foolish to cut routes that carry period any reduction on that line is stupid as you will chase riders away reducing ridership due to inconvenience that reduced ridership will increase costs NOT decrease em. A reduction on a line no one uses saves money service cut to a line many ppl use and rely on is foolish and will actually increase costs. Therefore use N31 and N32 and say that in front of those ppl they will RIOT. The only thing you can really do is restructure inefficient routes to become more useful so ridership can grow thus reducing cost of operation. Crippling lines that carry well is counter productive. And joel and pinepower will agree with me that is not a good idea leave N31/32 alone. Very few routes are not needed the rest just need to have their routes adjusted to increase ridership.

Archived