Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe they kept lines like the N2 and N14... I was in RVC one day in the summer and I saw 1636 operating on the N14 with two people on it, including the B/O.

The N45 and 51 are mostly used as either ways to get from NCC to either RF (when the N16 and N43 aren't around) or Hempstead Turnpike, and I've seen the higher-40s routes (N46-49) SRO right out of Hempstead. I did use the N51 in the Spring but then the N31/32 became my main route home again when the summer pick started.

I see the 51 going to school n-b, it's probably half full. The 45 usually always has a few people on it, but during the day the 51 can be empty or only like 1 person using it.

Does anyone know when they will start painting the buses?

Probably right after the legislature votes on the contract December 19th, and they'll probably vote for it, because they're idiots. The county will have, I guess, will have between then and January 1st to start painting the buses, so Veolia will have a clean fleet to start off with. However, for all we know, buses currently being fixed could be scheduled for painting already to save time.

Does anyone know when they will start painting the buses?

I have always figured that Veolia was starting to paint the new buses as early as the past couple of weeks, especially during my (farewell?) trip to Hempstead Transit Center; I've seen several buses with the "Nxx" designation, including a couple at Hempstead Transit Center marked as "(MTA) Bus" and "(MTA) New York City Bus", respectively. thus giving me the feeling that some of the regular LIB were already in the stages of getting repainted, with older buses from the other (MTA) bus agencies serving as (perhaps) interim replacements until the New Year.

I have always figured that Veolia was starting to paint the new buses as early as the past couple of weeks, especially during my (farewell?) trip to Hempstead Transit Center; I've seen several buses with the "Nxx" designation, including a couple at Hempstead Transit Center marked as "(MTA) Bus" and "(MTA) New York City Bus", respectively. thus giving me the feeling that some of the regular LIB were already in the stages of getting repainted, with older buses from the other (MTA) bus agencies serving as (perhaps) interim replacements until the New Year.

The (MTA) Bus / NYCT buses are only out there because the (MTA) is repairing the Nassau buses for DOT inspection. Painting the buses is probably the job of the county and Veolia (the (MTA) is only obligated to repair the buses to pass DOT inspection). I just really hope they don't start until the contract is signed.

I'm working on translating the first 55 pages of the contract into laypersons terms...it does not seem to be a good deal for the taxpayer either, as Mangano claims.

I find it funny that you're complaining about cuts when you do nothing but advocate cuts for us in the boroughs, just like you advocated for more local bus cuts on Staten Island. Now suddenly you're so concerned about cuts on Long Island?? Interesting and hypocritical to say the least.

Are you blind?????? I said 40 minutes each. That means 20 minutes combined. I know how to read a schedule thank you very much.

Yes it's a service cut. That's the damn point. You asked how it would save money and that's how.

LOL... Blind and a few other things apparently. :P

I find it funny that you're complaining about cuts when you do nothing but advocate cuts for us in the boroughs, just like you advocated for more local bus cuts on Staten Island. Now suddenly you're so concerned about cuts on Long Island?? Interesting and hypocritical to say the least.

LOL... Blind and a few other things apparently. :P

LI needs restructuring not cuts however some routes should bite the dust or get merged the N36,45,14,47,16(short-turns).

Probably right after the legislature votes on the contract December 19th, and they'll probably vote for it, because they're idiots. The county will have, I guess, will have between then and January 1st to start painting the buses, so Veolia will have a clean fleet to start off with. However, for all we know, buses currently being fixed could be scheduled for painting already to save time.

Why wouldn't this re branding be done after Jan 1st? Why would Nassau County or Veolia want the MTA operating buses branded for the new system? That would seem odd, I would suspect that this rebranding/repainting begin after Jan 1st and I would expect that this will be a process with sightings of newly painted buses popping up and there.

I wonder if we will see the (MTA) logo coming off the buses between now and the beginning of the year? Is the MTA ok with Veolia operating buses with the (MTA) logo on, or will they just say the hell with it and leave the logo on and not spend money removing them knowing the buses will eventually be repainted?

Not interesting, just hypocritical.... and now that you mention it, mr pinepower (who I thought was so done with youtube) also falls into that category....

He advocated cutting express bus service in one of his videos.... for the purpose of having our buses be used out in Nassau because they're @ a shortage due to all the breakdowns & what not, and we have all this excess (have him tell it).... He came to that conclusion (about the expresses) after standing on water st. & seeing a couple expresses pass by in the early afternoon hrs..... Back when he was on that "this is all the MTA's fault" kick, regarding the situation w/ LIB before Veolia stepped onto the scene.....

I'm not implying that LI riders deserve to have to worry about (and in all likelihood, end up enduring) shitty bus service... but his wishy-washy attitude about the cuts us NYC folk had to put up with.... compared to how passionate he is about the cuts in his backyard AFAIC is just as hypocritical.... One minute he was like, we city folks don't need all these buses we have.... and in the next, made videos sayin that the cuts we had were so wrong, this & this & that.....

If you're gonna be adamant about cuts in general, be consistent....

Why wouldn't this re branding be done after Jan 1st? Why would Nassau County or Veolia want the MTA operating buses branded for the new system? That would seem odd, I would suspect that this rebranding/repainting begin after Jan 1st and I would expect that this will be a process with sightings of newly painted buses popping up and there.

I wonder if we will see the (MTA) logo coming off the buses between now and the beginning of the year? Is the MTA ok with Veolia operating buses with the (MTA) logo on, or will they just say the hell with it and leave the logo on and not spend money removing them knowing the buses will eventually be repainted?

They'll probably at first just place decals over the (MTA) logo. It will be like the takeover of the Queens Privates in reverse. then, they can take their time repainting, (perhaps with tape or shrink wrapping at first) just like the (MTA) did the former privates.

What are you talking about???? First off, in that quote, he mentioned nothing about service cuts. He was talking about the taxpayers, something I think you can relate to. -_-

He advocated for one cut on SI (reducing weekend S57 service from 30 minutes to 60 minutes), and I happen to agree with him. Yeah, he mentioned a few cuts to the BM4 and maybe a few other routes, but unlike in LI, there are alternatives. Inconvenient to a certain degree, but alternatives nonetheless. Plus, he's advocated for additions in service (such as more BxM8 service to City Island)

Not to mention he advocated for cuts in his own backyard (the N78 is one of his home lines, and he said that most of the ridership comes from the Plainview Hospital, so ridership is fairly low).

Not interesting, just hypocritical.... and now that you mention it, mr pinepower (who I thought was so done with youtube) also falls into that category....

He advocated cutting express bus service in one of his videos.... for the purpose of having our buses be used out in Nassau because they're @ a shortage due to all the breakdowns & what not, and we have all this excess (have him tell it).... He came to that conclusion (about the expresses) after standing on water st. & seeing a couple expresses pass by in the early afternoon hrs..... Back when he was on that "this is all the MTA's fault" kick, regarding the situation w/ LIB before Veolia stepped onto the scene.....

I'm not implying that LI riders deserve to have to worry about (and in all likelihood, end up enduring) shitty bus service... but his wishy-washy attitude about the cuts us NYC folk had to put up with.... compared to how passionate he is about the cuts in his backyard AFAIC is just as hypocritical.... One minute he was like, we city folks don't need all these buses we have.... and in the next, made videos sayin that the cuts we had were so wrong, this & this & that.....

If you're gonna be adamant about cuts in general, be consistent....

No way Amtrak is as bad as Pinepower when it comes to that. Amtrak gives reasonable logic for wanting certain routes kept and certain routes cut. Amtrak's advocated for both additions and reductions in Long Island and the 5 boroughs. Aside from a few specific examples (that made sense, unlike standing at the beginning of an express route and talking about how nobody's on the buses), he hasn't mentioned anything about NYC routes having excess service.

What are you talking about???? First off, in that quote, he mentioned nothing about service cuts. He was talking about the taxpayers, something I think you can relate to. -_-

He advocated for one cut on SI (reducing weekend S57 service from 30 minutes to 60 minutes), and I happen to agree with him. Yeah, he mentioned a few cuts to the BM4 and maybe a few other routes, but unlike in LI, there are alternatives. Inconvenient to a certain degree, but alternatives nonetheless. Plus, he's advocated for additions in service (such as more BxM8 service to City Island)

Not to mention he advocated for cuts in his own backyard (the N78 is one of his home lines, and he said that most of the ridership comes from the Plainview Hospital, so ridership is fairly low).

Well I think he has a lot of nerve advocating for any cuts here in the city when we here on Staten Island have been basically giving away our money to fund Long Island's transportation for YEARS and I most certainly don't support any reduced service on the S57 when we've already lost weekend service on the S54 AND S66, meaning that there is no North-South local bus service after Broadway and Forest all the way to Decker and Forest, so what kind of "alternative" is that??? That is completely unacceptable. I see seniors now schlepping with their heavy groceries up Manor Road up the hill because there is no local bus on the weekends. I can afford car service to the express bus, but some folks can't and they have no option but to either stay trapped at home or schlepp up those hills in all types of weather. Maybe if we weren't so busy worrying about Long Island, we could've kept some of our bus service here in the city and that's exactly why I went to that last hearing at CSI because I could see that the cuts that the (MTA) was proposing not just on Staten Island, but across the city was going to have damaging effects; effects that often times are not noticeable on the surface. Less revenue for Mom and Pop shops because folks who use buses no longer have easy access to go to those places to patronize those stores, which means lost jobs and more lost tax revenue for us, which means less funding for transit and other important necessities. :tdown:

And yes, I can certainly relate to wasted tax dollars in the following way: It's about time Nassau County stopped sucking the tax dollars from us here in the city and starting paying their share for their transportation and for that alone I applaud Mangano. :tup::tup::tup:

No way Amtrak is as bad as Pinepower when it comes to that. Amtrak gives reasonable logic for wanting certain routes kept and certain routes cut. Amtrak's advocated for both additions and reductions in Long Island and the 5 boroughs. Aside from a few specific examples (that made sense, unlike standing at the beginning of an express route and talking about how nobody's on the buses), he hasn't mentioned anything about NYC routes having excess service.

Oh please. His comments are just as hypocritical as Amtrak's. He wants better service for Long Island? Well who is supposed to pay for it? For years we've been forking over cash to them while we lose service here in the city. I won't say that Long Island doesn't need their service, but they certainly don't need it at our expense. :mad: :tdown::tdown:

Well I think he has a lot of nerve advocating for any cuts here in the city when we here on Staten Island have been basically giving away our money to fund Long Island's transportation for YEARS and I most certainly don't support any reduced service on the S57 when we've already lost weekend service on the S54 AND S66, meaning that there is no North-South local bus service after Broadway and Forest all the way to Decker and Forest, so what kind of "alternative" is that??? That is completely unacceptable. I see seniors now schlepping with their heavy groceries up Manor Road up the hill because there is no local bus on the weekends. I can afford car service to the express bus, but some folks can't and they have no option but to either stay trapped at home or schlepp up those hills in all types of weather. Maybe if we weren't so busy worrying about Long Island, we could've kept some of our bus service here in the city and that's exactly why I went to that last hearing at CSI because I could see that the cuts that the (MTA) was proposing not just on Staten Island, but across the city was going to have damaging effects; effects that often times are not noticeable on the surface. Less revenue for Mom and Pop shops because folks who use buses no longer have easy access to go to those places to patronize those stores, which means lost jobs and more lost tax revenue for us, which means less funding for transit and other important necessities. :tdown:

And yes, I can certainly relate to wasted tax dollars in the following way: It's about time Nassau County stopped sucking the tax dollars from us here in the city and starting paying their share for their transportation and for that alone I applaud Mangano. :tup::tup::tup:

Oh please. His comments are just as hypocritical as Amtrak's. He wants better service for Long Island? Well who is supposed to pay for it? For years we've been forking over cash to them while we lose service here in the city. I won't say that Long Island doesn't need their service, but they certainly don't need it at our expense. :mad: :tdown::tdown:

rofl

Yeah, it's hilarious isn't it?? lol Well I'm glad to say that we're no longer the laughing stock for Nassau. -_-

No, it's hilarious that you think that the city is a "laughing stock" because it's "losing money" to Nassau, and that Mangano's not-even-halfassed plans will work miracles.

No, it's hilarious that you think that the city is a "laughing stock" because it's "losing money" to Nassau, and that Mangano's not-even-halfassed plans will work miracles.

Uh yeah, since when is it our responsibility to fund your transportation out in Nassau??? Mangano's plans may very well be half @ssed and such but you guys have to learn how to live within your means. If you want better bus service then suggest where the taxpayers of Nassau (not NYC) should get the money from??? In any event, like I said, it's Nassau's bus service not NYC's bus service and Nassau should be paying for it, not us. :tup:

Dude, only general difference b/w the two is that Amtrak has more knowledge when it comes to NYC's individual bus routes (and is far less vocal).... and pinepower has far more of a bad rep' in this community (and knows little to nothin about NYC's individual bus routes)....

AFAIC, they still belong in that same category of hypocrisy towards cuts w/i LIB, as opposed to NYCT.... I DO get the sense that the both of them want better service for Nassau, as opposed to the boroughs..... I don't care which one of them shows less favoritism over the other.....

Oh please. His comments are just as hypocritical as Amtrak's. He wants better service for Long Island? Well who is supposed to pay for it? For years we've been forking over cash to them while we lose service here in the city. I won't say that Long Island doesn't need their service, but they certainly don't need it at our expense.

Right, and again, homeboy (pinepower) wadn't the only person that was on that *maybe they should have those queens buses sitting in the depot to help out nassau county* tip.... that mindset always irked the hell out of me... Yet some of these are the same folks that generally don't want our routes traveling w/i their county....

That's part of the reason why I was so defiant w/ whoever was on that "blame the MTA for poor service out in Nassau" bandwagon.....

I'm watching some of that 2 hr long clip pinepower linked/upped, and now all of a sudden the general attitude of LIB riders (there) has shifted to "blame mangano, blame veolia, MTA did the best that they could".... in the process, booing mangano, heckling the veolia representative that did the presentation (tryna paint the MTA as the bad guy in all this, which I got sick of), and cheering the current MTA LIB workers..... Before Veolia came about, MTA was enemy freakin number one !!!!

if that aint wishy washy, I'm sorry, I don't know wth is.....

Uh yeah, since when is it our responsibility to fund your transportation out in Nassau???

You can't stop city tax money from going elsewhere in the MTA system, example: city tax money (as well as tax money from other (MTA)-taxable areas) can go to NYCT, Bus Co., Bridges & Tunnels, LIRR, MNR, or LIB. Nassau definitely has to pay their fair share for LIB, but, the (MTA) still funds it as well. Think of it this way, Nassau tax money is (in part) going to pay for your NYCT service!

Uh yeah, since when is it our responsibility to fund your transportation out in Nassau??? Mangano's plans may very well be half @ssed and such but you guys have to learn how to live within your means. If you want better bus service then suggest where the taxpayers of Nassau (not NYC) should get the money from??? In any event, like I said, it's Nassau's bus service not NYC's bus service and Nassau should be paying for it, not us. :tup:

Nassau has many ppl commuting via LIRR in my opinion any region connected by NYC MTA railroads except CT is considered suburbs of NYC therefore part of NYC as an outer part. The 5 boros are the inner part of NYC while LI's outer counties and upstate upto dutchess(southern) are part of the outer part of NYC. The burbs in NJ and CT don't count as they are beyond state lines and are served by CTtransit and NJtransit respectively. So technically many ppl driving from LI clog up NYC roads everyday so improving LI bus service will allow more ppl to use transit thus resulting in less clogged roads in NYC allowing NYC bus service to become more punctual and on-time. So nassau is indirectly part of NYC traffic wise. Any modification to LI bus service can be felt all the way to brooklyn. I don't buy this LI vs NYC bullshit at all. It's everyone's fault nassau is run by monkeys who can't manage money so they suck out NYC money to keep LI service up to tame NYC traffic a bit but it's quite ineffective. NYC broke MTA payroll tax hurts LI a bit so we are funding each other pitting us against each other for no reason.

It's quite obvious both of you don't know how to share however nassau if it was run better it won't need tax money from NYC period. Both of this is all down to the fault of the mismanaged gov't of nassau and NYC. Nassau and MTA can't manage their money so they tax each other to death and pit LI and NYC taxpayers against each other.

1) Well I think he has a lot of nerve advocating for any cuts here in the city when we here on Staten Island have been basically giving away our money to fund Long Island's transportation for YEARS and I most certainly don't support any reduced service on the S57 when we've already lost weekend service on the S54 AND S66, meaning that there is no North-South local bus service after Broadway and Forest all the way to Decker and Forest, so what kind of "alternative" is that???And yes, I can certainly relate to wasted tax dollars in the following way: It's about time Nassau County stopped sucking the tax dollars from us here in the city and starting paying their share for their transportation and for that alone I applaud Mangano. :tup::tup::tup:

2) Oh please. His comments are just as hypocritical as Amtrak's. He wants better service for Long Island? Well who is supposed to pay for it? For years we've been forking over cash to them while we lose service here in the city. I won't say that Long Island doesn't need their service, but they certainly don't need it at our expense. :mad: :tdown::tdown:

1) Well if you want to use that argument, Nassau has absolutely no north-south Sunday service between Newbridge Road and Fulton Street, a distance of 4.7 miles, and no service between Newbridge Road and Uniondale Avenue (2.9 miles). The distance between Decker Avenue and Broadway is 1.4 miles (alrigt there are some slight hills along Forest Avenue, but you get my point)

2) What are you talking about???? I never denied that Pinepower was a hypocrite. Would it kill you to actually read what I write?

1) Dude, only general difference b/w the two is that Amtrak has more knowledge when it comes to NYC's individual bus routes (and is far less vocal).... and pinepower has far more of a bad rep' in this community (and knows little to nothin about NYC's individual bus routes)....

2) AFAIC, they still belong in that same category of hypocrisy towards cuts w/i LIB, as opposed to NYCT.... I DO get the sense that the both of them want better service for Nassau, as opposed to the boroughs..... I don't care which one of them shows less favoritism over the other.....

3) Right, and again, homeboy (pinepower) wadn't the only person that was on that *maybe they should have those queens buses sitting in the depot to help out nassau county* tip.... that always irked the hell out of me... That's part of the reason why I was so defiant w/ whoever was on that "blame the MTA for poor service out in Nassau" bandwagon.....

I'm watching some of that 2 hr long clip pinepower linked/upped, and now all of a sudden the general attitude of LIB riders (there) has shifted to "blame mangano, blame veolia, MTA did the best that they could".... in the process, booing mangano, heckling the veolia representative that did the presentation (tryna paint the MTA as the bad guy in all this, which I got sick of), and cheering the current MTA LIB workers..... Before Veolia came about, MTA was enemy freakin number one !!!!

if that aint wishy washy, I'm sorry, I don't know wth is.....

1) Yeah, but at least Amtrak's suggestions make sense (and many of them I agree with). He's not all "Let's have the S44 and S59 run every 30 minutes so you see what it's like out here".

2) Isn't that obvious? They live out there so obviously they'd like better service. You might as well throw Joel Up Front into that category as well. The point is that Amtrak is willing to compromise on LI routes as well. When they had all of those cuts proposed back a few months ago, he wasn't trying to save every single route like Pinepower was. Despite living in Plainview, I don't recall him trying to save the N78 or N81 (he even said that he wouldn't mind if the N78 were eliminated).

3) Like I said, I never denied that about him.

You can't stop city tax money from going elsewhere in the MTA system, example: city tax money (as well as tax money from other (MTA)-taxable areas) can go to NYCT, Bus Co., Bridges & Tunnels, LIRR, MNR, or LIB. Nassau definitely has to pay their fair share for LIB, but, the (MTA) still funds it as well. Think of it this way, Nassau tax money is (in part) going to pay for your NYCT service!

NYC gives more to Nassau than Nassau gives back to NYC.

Archived