Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

Dude, only general difference b/w the two is that Amtrak has more knowledge when it comes to NYC's individual bus routes (and is far less vocal).... and pinepower has far more of a bad rep' in this community (and knows little to nothin about NYC's individual bus routes)....

AFAIC, they still belong in that same category of hypocrisy towards cuts w/i LIB, as opposed to NYCT.... I DO get the sense that the both of them want better service for Nassau, as opposed to the boroughs..... I don't care which one of them shows less favoritism over the other.....

Right, and again, homeboy (pinepower) wadn't the only person that was on that *maybe they should have those queens buses sitting in the depot to help out nassau county* tip.... that always irked the hell out of me... That's part of the reason why I was so defiant w/ whoever was on that "blame the MTA for poor service out in Nassau" bandwagon.....

I'm watching some of that 2 hr long clip pinepower linked/upped, and now all of a sudden the general attitude of LIB riders (there) has shifted to "blame mangano, blame veolia, MTA did the best that they could".... in the process, booing mangano, heckling the veolia representative that did the presentation (tryna paint the MTA as the bad guy in all this, which I got sick of), and cheering the current MTA LIB workers..... Before Veolia came about, MTA was enemy freakin number one !!!!

if that aint wishy washy, I'm sorry, I don't know wth is.....

All pinepower does is bitch about some flaw he finds in the LI bus network. I can bitch too but If I were to talk or like pinepower would do bitch about all the flaws of LIB and SCT I would be here typing for hours literally!!!!!!!!!!! No system is perfect man I can imagine him in dutchess he would DROP SUPER F BOMBS while bitching about the LOOP. Sadly even dutchess has night service while suffolk does not hard to believe isn't it.

You can't stop city tax money from going elsewhere in the MTA system, example: city tax money (as well as tax money from other (MTA)-taxable areas) can go to NYCT, Bus Co., Bridges & Tunnels, LIRR, MNR, or LIB. Nassau definitely has to pay their fair share for LIB, but, the (MTA) still funds it as well. Think of it this way, Nassau tax money is (in part) going to pay for your NYCT service!

You sir are the smartest one here infinite thumbs up for you:tup::tup::tup::tup: Couldn't say it better myself. We need to break out of this isolated mentality of LI vs NYC vs NJ vs upstate. This arguing over where money should go towards bus systems across NYC area is destroying our regional network and creating gaps and increasing car use. Anywhere in the MTA system needs to be looked at as a piece to the puzzle a part of a transit network as a whole it's not all about LI or all about NYC or upstate we in NYC are coonnected to LI and upstate and even NJ to a lesser extent. Every single part of the MTA is connected NYCT,LIB, LIRR and even MNRR and bus systems linking the MNRR. Why do we have to fight one another we are connected whether you like it or not. Even SI's express buses are linked to LI to an extent thanks to LIRR.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, only general difference b/w the two is that Amtrak has more knowledge when it comes to NYC's individual bus routes (and is far less vocal).... and pinepower has far more of a bad rep' in this community (and knows little to nothin about NYC's individual bus routes)....

AFAIC, they still belong in that same category of hypocrisy towards cuts w/i LIB, as opposed to NYCT.... I DO get the sense that the both of them want better service for Nassau, as opposed to the boroughs..... I don't care which one of them shows less favoritism over the other.....

Right, and again, homeboy (pinepower) wadn't the only person that was on that *maybe they should have those queens buses sitting in the depot to help out nassau county* tip.... that mindset always irked the hell out of me... Yet some of these are the same folks that generally don't want our routes traveling w/i their county....

That's part of the reason why I was so defiant w/ whoever was on that "blame the MTA for poor service out in Nassau" bandwagon.....

I'm watching some of that 2 hr long clip pinepower linked/upped, and now all of a sudden the general attitude of LIB riders (there) has shifted to "blame mangano, blame veolia, MTA did the best that they could".... in the process, booing mangano, heckling the veolia representative that did the presentation (tryna paint the MTA as the bad guy in all this, which I got sick of), and cheering the current MTA LIB workers..... Before Veolia came about, MTA was enemy freakin number one !!!!

if that aint wishy washy, I'm sorry, I don't know wth is.....

lol... Couldn't agree anymore with that post.

You can't stop city tax money from going elsewhere in the MTA system, example: city tax money (as well as tax money from other (MTA)-taxable areas) can go to NYCT, Bus Co., Bridges & Tunnels, LIRR, MNR, or LIB. Nassau definitely has to pay their fair share for LIB, but, the (MTA) still funds it as well. Think of it this way, Nassau tax money is (in part) going to pay for your NYCT service!

Yeah well me personally, I've always called for the (MTA) to be more accountable in those sorts of things. If they're collecting taxes from the city, those funds should not be diverted to Nassau or any other place BUT the city and vice versa. That's the one thing that I do like about Mangano's plan. Sure maybe it isn't perfect, and it's probably far from perfect, but he's trying to make folks more accountable. I like the idea of Veolia not being paid if they don't send out a certain run. That's exactly the way it should be. Why should taxpayers pay for a service that they aren't getting? A real insult if you ask me. I think the (MTA) isn't terrible overall, but should they be more accountable? They sure as hell should be. Politicians like James Vacca up in the Bronx has been very vocal about holding the (MTA) more accountable for their actions. I believe he only represents parts of the Bronx like Throgs Neck (where he currently lives), Country Club, Pelham Bay and some other affluent areas of the Bronx, but not Riverdale to my knowledge, but we need more James Vacca's out there and Ed Mangano's as well. Taxpayers should know where their hard earned money is going and how it is being used.

1) Yeah, but at least Amtrak's suggestions make sense (and many of them I agree with). He's not all "Let's have the S44 and S59 run every 30 minutes so you see what it's like out here".

2) Isn't that obvious? They live out there so obviously they'd like better service. You might as well throw Joel Up Front into that category as well. The point is that Amtrak is willing to compromise on LI routes as well. When they had all of those cuts proposed back a few months ago, he wasn't trying to save every single route like Pinepower was. Despite living in Plainview, I don't recall him trying to save the N78 or N81 (he even said that he wouldn't mind if the N78 were eliminated).

3) Like I said, I never denied that about him.

1) Like I said, I don't care which of them shows less favoritism/bias over the other....

You agreeing w/ some of Amtrak's ideas isn't a disqualifier either....

2) No.... Joel up front doesn't speak on NYC & our routes (at least I haven't noticed him do so).... so I will not throw him into that category....

Furthermore, those 2 wanting better service for Nassau on the most basic level was not my point....

Them wanting better service for Nassau and being less defiant about cuts in the city was the point...

The gist of your whole stance is that JQP is worse than Amtrak.... and I'm here like, who's disputing that....

You can defend Amtrak's honor if you wish... My whole thing is, why is that even a point of contention.....

3) ...didn't have anything to do w/ your continual rebuttal of tryna convey to me that Amtrak isn't as bad as JQP as it pertains to this discussion.....

No.... Joel up front doesn't speak on NYCT's routes (at least I haven't noticed him do so).... so I will not throw him into that category....

Furthermore, those 2 wanting better service for Nassau on the most basic level was not my point....

Them wanting better service for Nassau and being less defiant about cuts in the city was the point...

The gist of your whole stance is that JQP is worse than Amtrak... and I'm here like, who's disputing that....

The thing is that cuts in Nassau County have a different effect than cuts in NYC. For the most part, people in NYC have other routes they can take. Out in Nassau County (especially in eastern Nassau County) it can take away the only transit link the area has, but even then, he's reasonable as far as what should and shouldn't be cut.

For instance, when the MTA proposed those cuts a while back, they were putting some routes on there that had pretty high ridership. He wasn't asking to save routes like the N73/N74. He was asking to save routes like the N55 and N79. I think that cut is at least as bad as any cut in NYC because you're cutting a route that has a reasonable cost to operate, has reasonable ridership, and is the only route in the area. Like me, Amtrak goes by numbers and standards and many cuts to Nassau routes would go against those numbers and standards.

Plus, like I said, it's natural to be more defending of routes in your area. Aside from SI and southern Brooklyn (and a few routes in Manhattan), you don't really hear VG8 talking about any other cuts, do you?

All I'm saying is that it's natural to have a bias towards your own turf.

Ok... and if that's all you're sayin, then you should have no problem with me (and via) sayin Amtrak is just as hypocritical as JQP when it comes to cuts regarding LIB vs cuts regarding the city....

The thing is that cuts in Nassau County have a different effect than cuts in NYC. For the most part, people in NYC have other routes they can take. Out in Nassau County (especially in eastern Nassau County) it can take away the only transit link the area has, but even then, he's reasonable as far as what should and shouldn't be cut.

For instance, when the MTA proposed those cuts a while back, they were putting some routes on there that had pretty high ridership. He wasn't asking to save routes like the N73/N74. He was asking to save routes like the N55 and N79. I think that cut is at least as bad as any cut in NYC because you're cutting a route that has a reasonable cost to operate, has reasonable ridership, and is the only route in the area. Like me, Amtrak goes by numbers and standards and many cuts to Nassau routes would go against those numbers and standards.

Plus, like I said, it's natural to be more defending of routes in your area. Aside from SI and southern Brooklyn (and a few routes in Manhattan), you don't really hear VG8 talking about any other cuts, do you?

Now you're turning this into something entirely different....

Ok... and if that's all you're sayin, then you should have no problem with me (and via) sayin Amtrak is just as hypocritical as JQP when it comes to cuts regarding LIB vs cuts regarding the city....

No because like I said, he puts forward his standards and reasoning as to why certain routes should and shouldn't get cut. He just hasn't been as vocal regarding city routes because he doesn't know as much about them (he knows more than JQP, but not as much as members of these boards who actually live in NYC).

And didn't you say before JQP was worse?

No because like I said, he puts forward his standards and reasoning as to why certain routes should and shouldn't get cut. He just hasn't been as vocal regarding city routes because he doesn't know as much about them (he knows more than JQP, but not as much as members of these boards who actually live in NYC).

And didn't you say before JQP was worse?

I said they both belong in the same category as far as the hypocrisy goes when it comes to the city vs LIB's cuts....

Seems to me you came to the defense of Amtrak, as if I was sayin Amtrak is just as bad as JQP, period

(even though you added in that "when it comes to that" part in your OP to me).....

I also said JQP has a far worse rep than Amtrak does....

I said they both belong in the same category as far as the hypocrisy goes when it comes to the city vs LIB's cuts....

Well, I will agree that he posts more regarding LIB cuts than NYC cuts, but I don't think it's any bias towards NYC. First of all, he knows LIB routes personally, so he can speak more about the ridership (for most of the NYC routes all he has to go by are the stats).

Second of all, like I said, he uses the same standards that a regular transit agency would use when talking about cuts (How far to the nearest route? How crowded is the route (when talking about frequency reductions rather than outright cuts)? What is the cost per passenger?) All things being equal, I doubt he would advocate for keeping one route in NYC while cutting a comparable route in NYC. Like I said, back when the MTA proposed those service reductions, he understood that they had a budget crisis and only asked for the restoration of a few routes (which have reasonable ridership for LIB).

Side note: How come this thread is listed as having 11 pages when this is the end of page 9? I've been noticing this problem on other threads recently.

Well, I will agree that he posts more regarding LIB cuts than NYC cuts, but I don't think it's any bias towards NYC. First of all, he knows LIB routes personally, so he can speak more about the ridership (for most of the NYC routes all he has to go by are the stats).

Second of all, like I said, he uses the same standards that a regular transit agency would use when talking about cuts (How far to the nearest route? How crowded is the route (when talking about frequency reductions rather than outright cuts)? What is the cost per passenger?) All things being equal, I doubt he would advocate for keeping one route in NYC while cutting a comparable route in NYC. Like I said, back when the MTA proposed those service reductions, he understood that they had a budget crisis and only asked for the restoration of a few routes (which have reasonable ridership for LIB).

Side note: How come this thread is listed as having 11 pages when this is the end of page 9? I've been noticing this problem on other threads recently.

About the false amt. of pages thing.... I brought that up in another thread:

(http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/504063-post145.html)

I don't know what the deal is w/ that either..... at least this post made it the 10th page (and didn't add a 12th... lol)

Anyway.... For whatever the reason, you are still tryna sell me on how much better/reasonable a member Amtrak is.... You're making the same general point about how Amtrak comes to formulate his opinions/points in like 3 of ya last 4 posts here, and you're not gettin anywhere w/ it w/ me AFAIC..... Do you think I'm tryna bring down Amtrak7 as a member, b/c I'm not, if that's what you're thinking....

I mean, I could easily sit here & argue that, what if JQP knew more about our routes... why would I believe he wouldn't use the same criteria he uses in analyzing LIB routes, over that of our routes.... It's moot IMO....

That is why I'm tellin you, it does not matter to me which of the two has a more or less of a bias over the other....

1) Anyway.... For whatever the reason, you are still tryna sell me on how much better/reasonable a member Amtrak is.... You're making the same general point about how Amtrak comes to formulate his opinions/points in like 3 of ya last 4 posts here, and you're not gettin anywhere w/ it w/ me AFAIC..... Do you think I'm tryna bring down Amtrak7 as a member, b/c I'm not, if that's what you're thinking....

2) I mean, I could easily sit here & argue that, what if JQP knew more about our routes... why would I believe he wouldn't use the same criteria he uses in analyzing LIB routes, over that of our routes.... It's moot IMO....

1) Alright then. I thought you were, but thanks for clearing that up.

2) I was going to say because he keeps on blaming NYC for all of Nassau's problems, but I guess you're right that he's use the same standards of coverage/crowding in NYC as LI.

1) Alright then. I thought you were, but thanks for clearing that up.

2) I was going to say because he keeps on blaming NYC for all of Nassau's problems, but I guess you're right that he's use the same standards of coverage/crowding in NYC as LI.

1) cool, np

2) yep, but I'll say though that ion't think anyone's as ridiculous as JQP when it comes to (what is deemed a) crowded bus !

The county is having second thoughts about Veolia, what a time to have them too, 23 days before a new operator.

They better not mess around & have no one operating buses out in Nassau....

Then again, crazy eddie would love nothin more than to pay the lovely figure of zero towards surface transportation.....

* mangano

Uh yeah, since when is it our responsibility to fund your transportation out in Nassau??? Mangano's plans may very well be half @ssed and such but you guys have to learn how to live within your means. If you want better bus service then suggest where the taxpayers of Nassau (not NYC) should get the money from??? In any event, like I said, it's Nassau's bus service not NYC's bus service and Nassau should be paying for it, not us. :tup:

Like I've said before, this whole mess is because Nassau refuses to subsidize its bus system. If it forked over $26M more to the MTA like it should've in the first place everything would be hunky dory...

Lets hope they get some BRAINS and stick with the (MTA)

If I were Mangano, I would re-start the process all over again. The MTA may well be the operator for 2012, but there are actually legitimate questions raised with respect to maintenance practices and costs of the system, and I think that long-term, it might be best to have a new operator starting December 30, 2012.

There are only 14 business days left, and I think that NIFA might want a second look to see how this all plays out.

The other part of this issue, however, is that a good deal of LIB employees are retiring on December 31, which could result in a driver shortage.

This though really had to blindside Ed Mangano.

If I were Mangano, I would re-start the process all over again. The MTA may well be the operator for 2012, but there are actually legitimate questions raised with respect to maintenance practices and costs of the system, and I think that long-term, it might be best to have a new operator starting December 30, 2012.

The (MTA) has been running LIB for decades, let it stay that way. I don't believe that Nassau, in the long run, will be able to maintain LIB for less than what the (MTA) is asking for. Look at Bee-Line and ST, both pay more than what Nassau wants to pay Veolia and are both run by private operators. Mangano has to get some brains and pay the (MTA) if he wants real quality service at what appears to be a reasonable price looking at what Westchester and Suffolk pay for their buses. A mere $2-3 million won't run LIB unless there's some BIG service cuts.

That is not true. I have most certainly mentioned how crappy bus service is in Queens too. I haven't used the bus service (aside from Express buses in the Bronx which overall appear to be pretty reliable and good from my experiences and observations). The thing is I don't bring up other areas because I don't travel to certain areas, so of course I'm not going to mention them. That doesn't mean that I don't have a problem with the cuts to other areas of the city. Another thing that I don't do that Amtrak does is propose cuts to other parts of the city when I don't even know anything about the routes. That's just completely ignorant. I can easily sit back and look at a map like he does and some figures and say, yeah let's cut this route, this route and this route, which is exactly what shouldn't happen.

As for Long Island, I don't doubt for a minute that the cuts will be hard felt out in Nassau. However, whatever happens, Nassau's tax dollars should be dealing with it and not NYC's. That's my main gripe.

Like I've said before, this whole mess is because Nassau refuses to subsidize its bus system. If it forked over $26M more to the MTA like it should've in the first place everything would be hunky dory...

Look how long it took for you to realize that....

....That doesn't mean that I don't have a problem with the cuts to other areas of the city.

Another thing that I don't do that Amtrak does is propose cuts to other parts of the city when I don't even know anything about the routes. That's just completely ignorant. I can easily sit back and look at a map like he does and some figures and say, yeah let's cut this route, this route and this route, which is exactly what shouldn't happen.

One of the reasons I decided to become a part of this community; signing up to RD (another transit forum).... From havin damn near went all over the place in NYC, there was too much lies (on top of ridiculous extensions/ideas/cuts) being said about bus routes... to the point where I felt I had to shed insight about what I knew about buses here in NYC.....

I'm the last person to toot my own horn, and there are quite a bit of others that know their stuffs... but over time, I think my commentary (and the way I put it... lol) changed the way people come up with their ideas... or at the very least, consider other factors; as opposed to just goin by the map..... b/c I mean, my god, the amount of foam that was goin around back in 04/05/06 was over the top....

Now most bus ideas ppl. come up with, aren't near as overly ridiculous (QJT don't count... lol).... arguable yes, but still has an iota of formidability (sense) to it..... and the ones you may see that aren't as, good... are from newer members in the community that have to learn/realize a few things.....

My thing is, if I can't gauge/"get a feel" (so to speak) enough on how well or poor a route performs on the weekdays and the weekend AFTER having been on em, I won't comment on it.... I also don't judge/conclude on one, or like a handful of occasions.... which is why I won't say much about the ridership/usage of TOR's (rockland's) or CT's routes.... still wanna get around to doin more CT fanning though :cool:

Hell, there's even some routes in the boroughs I won't comment on... b/c I aint been on em enough.... Also, if I don't know something particular about a route, I'll ask (and then go on to see if there's any truth to it, for myself).... Which was another problem back in the mid 2000's (and before, from what I'm understanding).... everyone was a know-it-all; cats were too proud to ask anyone anything....

Way I look at it, we all learn from each other in one way, shape, or form.... It's kinda what keeps me comin back to this place :tup:

So I've heard that the reason that LIB/NICE require so many loaners is not because they are being "fixed", but because they are being painted...any truth to this rumor ENY??

Who ever said that? All I asked is if anyone knew when they were being repainted. As I've said before, I think that's Nassau's job, not the (MTA)'s, to paint the buses.

One of the reasons I decided to become a part of this community; signing up to RD (another transit forum).... From havin damn near went all over the place in NYC, there was too much lies (on top of ridiculous extensions/ideas/cuts) being said about bus routes... to the point where I felt I had to shed insight about what I knew about buses here in NYC.....

I'm the last person to toot my own horn, and there are quite a bit of others that know their stuffs... but over time, I think my commentary (and the way I put it... lol) changed the way people come up with their ideas... or at the very least, consider other factors; as opposed to just goin by the map..... b/c I mean, my god, the amount of foam that was goin around back in 04/05/06 was over the top....

Now most bus ideas ppl. come up with, aren't near as overly ridiculous (QJT don't count... lol).... arguable yes, but still has an iota of formidability (sense) to it..... and the ones you may see that aren't as, good... are from newer members in the community that have to learn/realize a few things.....

My thing is, if I can't gauge/"get a feel" (so to speak) enough on how well or poor a route performs on the weekdays and the weekend AFTER having been on em, I won't comment on it.... I also don't judge/conclude on one, or like a handful of occasions.... which is why I won't say much about the ridership/usage of TOR's (rockland's) or CT's routes.... still wanna get around to doin more CT fanning though :cool:

Hell, there's even some routes in the boroughs I won't comment on... b/c I aint been on em enough.... Also, if I don't know something particular about a route, I'll ask (and then go on to see if there's any truth to it, for myself).... Which was another problem back in the mid 2000's (and before, from what I'm understanding).... everyone was a know-it-all; cats were too proud to ask anyone anything....

Way I look at it, we all learn from each other in one way, shape, or form.... It's kinda what keeps me comin back to this place :tup:

lol... I just think it's wise not to comment on things that I'm not sure about or don't have info on. That's of course different from someone arguing that you don't know squat when you feel that you do indeed know enough about the topic to comment on it. I don't see how one can form a good argument without some sort of facts or knowledge on the topic, so I don't say much about Queens bus lines for example, because I don't go to Queens that often #1, and to be honest for whatever reason, I've never been a fan of the place, hence why you don't see me with any express bus signage from Queens and such. Outside of Astoria and a few other areas, I just never got into Queens. I guess it's a borough thing. It's like being from Brooklyn, I feel more comfortable and am more interested in certain places than others. Same thing with Long Island. I have never used LIB, so I don't comment about how X route should be cut or increased. Just don't have any interest in the buses out there, probably because it's so suburban and it seems like folks love their cars and LIRR more than any old LIB bus. I care more about the boroughs far more, including Queens.

Look how long it took for you to realize that....

I use CT and TOR buses often I can tell you a little more about em if you want. TOR is just a piece to an overall transit network originating in rockland they work together with NJT trains, Monsey bus,rockland coaches which supplements service to the point where I scratch my head when ppl say you need a car cause it feels like you don't to a degree. I was caught off guard when I realized how late TOR 59 ran and other buses.

From rockland you have direct buses to brooklyn,queens SE, LI, westchester, NJ,manhattan and even upstate too.

The TOR and rockland coach buses supplement each other so miss oone you simply use the other route.

CT is a disconnected mess and disaster I however can tell you about bridgeport and southeastern routes for the rest ask BZguy cause I don't know shit about the other parts of CT other than how rural it can get.

I admit my plans apart piece by piece sound ridiculous but when combined they are easier to understand I won't go into detail but based on observations from using several systems I gathered enough data to change and make plans that won't sound so crazy and are more complete. I finished LI and NJ. even westchester and dutchess/putnam they are connected to CT in a way.

Archived