Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes QJT, I know the basics of the two systems....

damn, I just had to mention this f***er's name.... go head & put the blindfold on me & fire away y'all...

Off to CT for me today bye.

*yawns*

good riddance.....

Uh, guys:

Long Island Bus Vote Scheduled for Monday | Long Island Press

yeah, they're gonna eff around and not have any bus service out there, if this whole thing about second-guessing veolia gains more & more steam.....

Yes QJT, I know the basics of the two systems....

damn, I just had to mention his name.... go head & put the blindfold on me & fire away y'all...

yeah, they're gonna eff around and not have any bus service out there, if this whole thing about second-guessing veolia gains any steam.....

Off to CT for me today bye.

That is not true. I have most certainly mentioned how crappy bus service is in Queens too. I haven't used the bus service (aside from Express buses in the Bronx which overall appear to be pretty reliable and good from my experiences and observations). The thing is I don't bring up other areas because I don't travel to certain areas, so of course I'm not going to mention them. That doesn't mean that I don't have a problem with the cuts to other areas of the city. Another thing that I don't do that Amtrak does is propose cuts to other parts of the city when I don't even know anything about the routes. That's just completely ignorant. I can easily sit back and look at a map like he does and some figures and say, yeah let's cut this route, this route and this route, which is exactly what shouldn't happen.

As for Long Island, I don't doubt for a minute that the cuts will be hard felt out in Nassau. However, whatever happens, Nassau's tax dollars should be dealing with it and not NYC's. That's my main gripe.

If you can get ridership and cost data and look at its position relative to other routes (assuming it's all accurate), do you really need to actually ride the route to make a comment on it? It's not like he's actually going to eliminate the route and besides, I guarantee you the MTA's planners do the exact same thing. Not to mention that with Google Maps, you can get a feel for the areas the bus passes through (are they isolated by hills or creeks? Are they walkable?) Despite not living in NYC, I don't find any of his ideas extremely unreasonable (off the top of my head, I can't even think of anything I really disagreed with him on)

And in any case, a definition of "feeling the cuts hard" is different out in Nassau than NYC. You could cut a route that only affects 300 riders, but those 300 riders will literally be stranded. I'm agreeing with you that it should be Nassau's tax dollars paying for them, but you act like the system is completely unnecessary because it only carries 100,000 riders (most of whom aren't "affluent". B) )

I use CT and TOR buses often I can tell you a little more about em if you want. TOR is just a piece to an overall transit network originating in rockland they work together with NJT trains, Monsey bus,rockland coaches which supplements service to the point where I scratch my head when ppl say you need a car cause it feels like you don't to a degree. I was caught off guard when I realized how late TOR 59 ran and other buses.

You're kidding. The most frequent route up there runs every 30 minutes. Yeah, it's possible to get around without a car up there, but it's not realistic. People aren't going to want to plan around a schedule (and of course, with their roads up there, your 30 minute wait could become 45 minutes in the winter)

If you can get ridership and cost data and look at its position relative to other routes (assuming it's all accurate), do you really need to actually ride the route to make a comment on it? It's not like he's actually going to eliminate the route and besides, I guarantee you the MTA's planners do the exact same thing. Not to mention that with Google Maps, you can get a feel for the areas the bus passes through (are they isolated by hills or creeks? Are they walkable?) Despite not living in NYC, I don't find any of his ideas extremely unreasonable (off the top of my head, I can't even think of anything I really disagreed with him on)

And in any case, a definition of "feeling the cuts hard" is different out in Nassau than NYC. You could cut a route that only affects 300 riders, but those 300 riders will literally be stranded. I'm agreeing with you that it should be Nassau's tax dollars paying for them, but you act like the system is completely unnecessary because it only carries 100,000 riders (most of whom aren't "affluent". B) )

You're kidding. The most frequent route up there runs every 30 minutes. Yeah, it's possible to get around without a car up there, but it's not realistic. People aren't going to want to plan around a schedule (and of course, with their roads up there, your 30 minute wait could become 45 minutes in the winter)

I don't act like anything. All I said was that their tax dollars should be supporting it, which is what I've said all along. I didn't say anything about whether X route should be kept or cut, so just stop already. I don't ride the buses in Long Island, so I can't comment and I'm not going to be ignorant and play know-it-all and look at a friggin' map and some stats and pretend like I understand Nassau's transit problems either like a certain someone has done.

As for your comment about Amtrak, what do you think happens when the (MTA) cuts routes in the city?? I mean really. And please don't start telling me about how they've got alternatives and all of this. Stranded is stranded and some folks are literally stranded in the city too. And yes, routes should not be cut looking at a friggin' map and some "stats", which very well may be inaccurate. I like Mangano's idea of having all Long Island residents on the board that can better understand and empathize with what the bus riders out there put up with. They may very well make a ton of cuts, but at least they're thinking logically on that subject.

Furthermore, of course you have no problem with service being cut. I doubt cuts to the routes in the city that Amtrak proposed would affect you or him, so why would either of you care? You're all for cuts because you're under this grand impression that somehow these cuts are going to roll back fares. Keep dreaming. ;) The (MTA) would have to do a ton of cutting to make up for their financial mess and remember that the more riders you drive away from the system, the less revenue you have coming in.

Like I've said before, this whole mess is because Nassau refuses to subsidize its bus system. If it forked over $26M more to the MTA like it should've in the first place everything would be hunky dory...

Again , Nassau County does not have $26 million to fork over, so they have to figure something else out. I asked before, lets hear some ideas to come up with the $26 mill? If you cant then stop complaining aboutt it.

Joe

Again , Nassau County does not have $26 million to fork over, so they have to figure something else out. I asked before, lets hear some ideas to come up with the $26 mill? If you cant then stop complaining aboutt it.

Joe

One way I would do it is: Reduce the amount of school districts, police districts, and water districts, and streamline services. A lot of this might require debate in Albany, but its time is way past due. Outside of New York City, there are way too many levels of overlap and redundancy.

One way I would do it is: Reduce the amount of school districts, police districts, and water districts, and streamline services. A lot of this might require debate in Albany, but its time is way past due. Outside of New York City, there are way too many levels of overlap and redundancy.

I agree but the fight will take too long to put it in place in 22 days

Joe

Joe

But nassau is far too damaged financially to continue with the redundancy the time to act is NOW. Status quo is why taxes are so high on LI to fund BULLSHIT TO FUND 50+ SCHOOL DISTRICTS THAT AREN'T EVEN NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!! NYC has 1 district for 5 counties. Nassau isn't so special that it needs 50 of em. Albany needs to crack down on them hard and fast period. The ppl of LI nassau and suffolk have had enough. The waste and overtaxation needs to stop it is killing business and driving ppl out of LI and freezing growth. The taxes are insane nassau residents deserve better.

But nassau is far too damaged financially to continue with the redundancy the time to act is NOW. Status quo is why taxes are so high on LI to fund BULLSHIT TO FUND 50+ SCHOOL DISTRICTS THAT AREN'T EVEN NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!!! NYC has 1 district for 5 counties. Nassau isn't so special that it needs 50 of em. Albany needs to crack down on them hard and fast period. The ppl of LI nassau and suffolk have had enough. The waste and overtaxation needs to stop it is killing business and driving ppl out of LI and freezing growth. The taxes are insane nassau residents deserve better.

i live here, i pay the taxes, i bought all these issues up already. Youre forgetting who runs NY State. Governor Cuomo, Senators Schumer & Gillebrand. None of them believe in cutting spending. If they did what you suggest they would piss off all the unions and those are the ones who they count on for votes. How come those 3 havent done anything to help? Because the 100,000 daily riders of LI Bus are nobodys to them. They will NEVER do anything to piss off their base. Mangano is doing what he can while the other 3 sit there in their ivory towers with their "Let em eat cake" attitude. Why dont you ask them why they sit on the sidelines?

Joe

i live here, i pay the taxes, i bought all these issues up already. Youre forgetting who runs NY State. Governor Cuomo, Senators Schumer & Gillebrand. None of them believe in cutting spending. If they did what you suggest they would piss off all the unions and those are the ones who they count on for votes. How come those 3 havent done anything to help? Because the 100,000 daily riders of LI Bus are nobodys to them. They will NEVER do anything to piss off their base. Mangano is doing what he can while the other 3 sit there in their ivory towers with their "Let em eat cake" attitude. Why dont you ask them why they sit on the sidelines?

Joe

Do you think we need a republican govonor?

1) I don't act like anything. All I said was that their tax dollars should be supporting it, which is what I've said all along. I didn't say anything about whether X route should be kept or cut, so just stop already. I don't ride the buses in Long Island, so I can't comment and I'm not going to be ignorant and play know-it-all and look at a friggin' map and some stats and pretend like I understand Nassau's transit problems either like a certain someone has done.

2) As for your comment about Amtrak, what do you think happens when the (MTA) cuts routes in the city?? I mean really. And please don't start telling me about how they've got alternatives and all of this. Stranded is stranded and some folks are literally stranded in the city too. And yes, routes should not be cut looking at a friggin' map and some "stats", which very well may be inaccurate. I like Mangano's idea of having all Long Island residents on the board that can better understand and empathize with what the bus riders out there put up with. They may very well make a ton of cuts, but at least they're thinking logically on that subject.

Furthermore, of course you have no problem with service being cut. I doubt cuts to the routes in the city that Amtrak proposed would affect you or him, so why would either of you care? You're all for cuts because you're under this grand impression that somehow these cuts are going to roll back fares. Keep dreaming. ;) The (MTA) would have to do a ton of cutting to make up for their financial mess and remember that the more riders you drive away from the system, the less revenue you have coming in.

1) I never said you commented on the specific routes, but you did comment on the fact that it only gets 100,000 riders and is used by 10% of the residents (actually, it might only be 50,000 riders making 2 trips per day, but then again, NYC's transit system gets 3.5 million riders and is only used by 43% of its residents, even less if you consider that a lot of people make transfers)

2) Yeah, stranded is stranded, but only a relatively small percentage were actually stranded. Like I said, you can get a feel for what type of alternatives are realistically available by looking at things such as terrain and the character of the neighborhood, and even then, sometimes you have no choice but to strand some people because the route has very little ridership (and I mean ridership that's obvious to anybody, not just low ridership based on stats. When a route is listed as carrying 2 passengers per bus on average, I doubt the average bus rider is going to be talking about how well-used the route is).

And you've got to be kidding about his plan of having a board of LI residents being a good idea. You really think they actually ride those buses. If they do, that's great, but chances are they'll be Mangano's wealthy friends. Even on the MTA Board I doubt a lot of those people ride the bus. Allen Cappelli is a lawyer. Do you think he actually rides SI buses (aside from maybe the express bus)

And I don't need Amtrak to propose cuts in my area. I've already suggested some of my own in case you've forgotten. ;) I've looked at the ridership (not the stats but the actual ridership, which isn't too far off from the stats, some of which I can't even find). Yeah, revenue would decrease, but costs would decrease more.

Joe

But the point is that they should've been doing this for a long time. They knew they had a budget deficit and the plan to replace LIB has been on the table for months (I believe the MTA proposed cuts all the way back in March). They could've at least started the ball rolling so they could have a shot at getting the savings they need to fund the bus system.

Well, the thing is that some people think that the school system is everything, and they'd be pissed that they're merging with a (what they perceive as) a lower-performing school district. My school would be one of the worst ones if it were placed in Long Island, and I'm doing perfectly fine, but many LI parents would think differently.

Its known that most republicans are anti-public transit. Remember Pataki? Remember Jeb Bush killing Florida's FOX HS rail? And i recall it was a democrat President that made the push for Amtrak's Acela (Clinton)

This is not a democrat vs republican issue. Its a Typical career politician re-election issue.

The Republicans, Mangano and Schmidt are more concerned with the 1.3 million Nassau residents not with the measly 100,000 daily riders.

The Democrats, Cuomo, Schumer, and Gillebrand, are more concerned at not pissing off the unions and the upstate voters than the measly 100,000 daily riders.

You guys understand now?

Joe

1) I never said you commented on the specific routes, but you did comment on the fact that it only gets 100,000 riders and is used by 10% of the residents (actually, it might only be 50,000 riders making 2 trips per day, but then again, NYC's transit system gets 3.5 million riders and is only used by 43% of its residents, even less if you consider that a lot of people make transfers)

2) Yeah, stranded is stranded, but only a relatively small percentage were actually stranded. Like I said, you can get a feel for what type of alternatives are realistically available by looking at things such as terrain and the character of the neighborhood, and even then, sometimes you have no choice but to strand some people because the route has very little ridership (and I mean ridership that's obvious to anybody, not just low ridership based on stats. When a route is listed as carrying 2 passengers per bus on average, I doubt the average bus rider is going to be talking about how well-used the route is).

And you've got to be kidding about his plan of having a board of LI residents being a good idea. You really think they actually ride those buses. If they do, that's great, but chances are they'll be Mangano's wealthy friends. Even on the MTA Board I doubt a lot of those people ride the bus. Allen Cappelli is a lawyer. Do you think he actually rides SI buses (aside from maybe the express bus)

And I don't need Amtrak to propose cuts in my area. I've already suggested some of my own in case you've forgotten. ;) I've looked at the ridership (not the stats but the actual ridership, which isn't too far off from the stats, some of which I can't even find). Yeah, revenue would decrease, but costs would decrease more.

But the point is that they should've been doing this for a long time. They knew they had a budget deficit and the plan to replace LIB has been on the table for months (I believe the MTA proposed cuts all the way back in March). They could've at least started the ball rolling so they could have a shot at getting the savings they need to fund the bus system.

Well, the thing is that some people think that the school system is everything, and they'd be pissed that they're merging with a (what they perceive as) a lower-performing school district. My school would be one of the worst ones if it were placed in Long Island, and I'm doing perfectly fine, but many LI parents would think differently.

I think the lower performing school districts need to merge into one less shitty one then the high performing districts can merge into a good all around district.

This is not a democrat vs republican issue. Its a Typical career politician re-election issue.

The Republicans, Mangano and Schmidt are more concerned with the 1.3 million Nassau residents not with the measly 100,000 daily riders.

The Democrats, Cuomo, Schumer, and Gillebrand, are more concerned at not pissing off the unions and the upstate voters than the measly 100,000 daily riders.

You guys understand now?

Joe

I do I actually have to agree with mangano on one thing 1.3 million ppl are way more important than a measley 100,000 daily riders. If the ridership was at least double then I think mangano would care more about LIB. The performance of LIB is just embarrasing and yet with a measley 100,000 riders many routes are still cost efficient. If they had 500,000 riders the bus system would pay for itself!!!!!!!! And these problems wouldn't even be an issue. The only way to save LIB is to restructure the system to attract more riders so bus routes become more efficient. And eliminate several duplicate segments of routes where one route is more frequent than the other. These lines are weak N36 needs merger drop segment to lynbrook. N14 it carries air,N47 cmon powerup N46 and try roosevelt field on for size, N45 cmon man it's useless kill and transfer old segment to another line. N8 change it or kill it.

If they had 500,000 riders the bus system would pay for itself!!!!!!!! And these problems wouldn't even be an issue.

Uh if LIBus or any MTA run operation had 200,000,000 million daily riders, they would still cry poverty because of the mismanagement and all those hands in the cookie jar.

Joe

I think the lower performing school districts need to merge into one less shitty one then the high performing districts can merge into a good all around district.

The problem is that you'll have parents in the absolute top-performing school districts crying that they're merging with a direct that is still perfectly fine, but isn't as prestigious. I definitely agree that that's how it should work (I mean NYC schools are ranked worse than LI schools and yet thousands of kids move on and become very successful), but unfortunately it's an uphill battle.

Of course, you could argue that the savings from merging the school districts could be reinvested to allow the entire district to perform as well as the best-performing section.

Yeah, so what? I commented on it only getting 100,000 riders. And what do you mean only 43%? That's almost half of NYC the residents, so please.

My point is you need to stick up for where you live for once. You live on STATEN ISLAND in NYC, not friggin' Long Island or any other place for that matter. Always taking up for other folks and down playing where you live. Everyone has it so much worse than we do right??? :( Spare me. I'm actually shocked that you actually agree that NYC shouldn't be funding Long Island's transportation, or maybe you don't have a problem with that either. Let's take from our transportation sources and give it to someone else. :mad: A little thing you don't know is that you have quite a bit of Long Islanders that could care less for New Yorkers and really don't want anything to do with NYC. That's why it's even more disgusting that they've been funding their transit system on our backs.

That's not the point. Of course I know most of the board members don't ride and I think I made a point about it just being a "start" in the right direction. The ideal situation would be to have board members that all ride the system.

And I don't need Amtrak to propose cuts in my area. I've already suggested some of my own in case you've forgotten. :) I've looked at the ridership (not the stats but the actual ridership, which isn't too far off from the stats, some of which I can't even find). Yeah, revenue would decrease, but costs would decrease more.

You need to quit it already. You are really smoking something if you think that we're going to see any of these so called "savings". That's all you talk about. Oh let's cut service so we can decrease costs. For what? My paycheck or any one else's paycheck isn't going to be any bigger because the (MTA) decides to cut more bus service. All they're doing is cutting more service and raising the fares in case you haven't noticed, and cutting service is NOT going to stop that.

Should've could've... No point in focusing on the past when it's not going to change the current situation.

You should ask yourself those questions, qjgibberishandnoweducationmasterofdisaster.

As much as it pisses me and every other regular rider of LIB, Mangano is going to do what he thinks is better for the whole of Nassau. If it means screwing riders out of any semblance to reliable service by paying someone else next to nothing (and in our case, transfers to NYCT) and pissing the minority off, he's going to do it, even with his doubts and Veolia's sale of its assets.

It was fun.

Yeah, so what? I commented on it only getting 100,000 riders. And what do you mean only 43%? That's almost half of NYC the residents, so please.

My point is you need to stick up for where you live for once. You live on STATEN ISLAND in NYC, not friggin' Long Island or any other place for that matter. Always taking up for other folks and down playing where you live. Everyone has it so much worse than we do right??? :) Spare me. I'm actually shocked that you actually agree that NYC shouldn't be funding Long Island's transportation, or maybe you don't have a problem with that either. Let's take from our transportation sources and give it to someone else. :mad: A little thing you don't know is that you have quite a bit of Long Islanders that could care less for New Yorkers and really don't want anything to do with NYC. That's why it's even more disgusting that they've been funding their transit system on our backs.

That's not the point. Of course I know most of the board members don't ride and I think I made a point about it just being a "start" in the right direction. The ideal situation would be to have board members that all ride the system.

You need to quit it already. You are really smoking something if you think that we're going to see any of these so called "savings". That's all you talk about. Oh let's cut service so we can decrease costs. For what? My paycheck or any one else's paycheck isn't going to be any bigger because the (MTA) decides to cut more bus service. All they're doing is cutting more service and raising the fares in case you haven't noticed, and cutting service is NOT going to stop that.

Should've could've... No point in focusing on the past when it's not going to change the current situation.

This way of thinking cripples regional service not everything is local buddy the region as whole includes LI and 5 boroughs it's not all about you or all about LI so with this logic all buses should stay in their own service areas that logic kills some transit systems that need regional connectivity. SI and LI aren't related but your logic isn't gonna help anyone. I will leave you with your useless argument with checkmate.

get a life if you don't like it move!!!!!!

As much as it pisses me and every other regular rider of LIB, Mangano is going to do what he thinks is better for the whole of Nassau. If it means screwing riders out of any semblance to reliable service by paying someone else next to nothing (and in our case, transfers to NYCT) and pissing the minority off, he's going to do it, even with his doubts and Veolia's sale of its assets.

It was fun.

ok thats good for your asses if there were more riders then you wouldn't get screwed so hard it's majority rule get over it if the system was useful to ppl that actually have jobs to get to in NYC and all over this crap wouldn't happen joel on crack get over it untill you see what happens you won't know shit plain and simple. I don't give a shit about what mangano does the majority always get what they want period.

Ohh and when you gain maturity then talk to me till then deal with it and shut it. Boo hoo 1% of nassau ppl are screwed please when you ignore the majority to serve a group that isn't the most popular you only create a stigma with the ppl you should be serving. Look at the system then look at traffic patterns. Look at LIRR schedules and bus schedules rush hour service is horrible so ppl can't use buses that aren't there now can they. Ohh go on city-data the real thing that kills LIB is ignorance of the bus network. Many nassau residents do not know anything about the bus network and when they use it they take a wrong turn then blame the MTA for their mistakes. I talked with many people so that is part of it.

Archived