Help needed

T364

Hi all,

I am wanting to build a New York transit layout (underground) in HO scale.

I have a few questions regarding prototype information and various other things. I was hoping some of you may be able to clear up a few things for me.

I bought a set of 4 proto1000 R17 cars in maroon, i believe that was the color they were delivered in back in the mid 50's.

So my question regarding this is, were any other class of cars running in this era? What were the most common? Did they run in sets of 2,3,4 or more/less?

Regarding locations, was there any underground or 'lower' terminals? I am looking to loosely base the layout on something like this with 2 or 3 tracks/platforms. And a fiddle yard at one end where the train will disappear into the 'Rest of the world'

As i plan on purchasing more subway cars of different colors, did the design of the subway change much from mid 50's to late 70's?

Thanks very much for your time.

With kind regards,

T364 :cool:

http://www.nycsubway.org should help with a lot of your questions, including the car types running in the eras you've specified.

You'll have to be more specific on "underground terminals". At the site referenced above there are track maps and there are TONS of places in the system that have underground terminals. Secondly, are you basing your track layout on your era (70s) or modern day? If your track/signal layouts are from the 70s era, I might be able to help you with that.

Before you do anything else though, plan which route(s) you're going to build so we know exactly how to help you! :)

-A :cool:

Thanks for the link. The layout will be like a small shelf layout and i was after something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NYC_Main_St_Flushing_station_2.jpg

The train enters, waits for a moment then departs the way it entered. Although i'd like to keep it fictitious yet somewhat prototypical and based in the 70's. As silly as that may sound :P

Regards, T364

Archived