Ikarus Artics?

dmouse

I read on here a while back that NF wasn't the lowest bidder on the artic contract, it was Ikarus. But because NABI merged with Ikarus the (MTA) wanted no business with them and went to New Flyer.

What was the model from Ikarus that was coming to nyc?

I read on here a while back that NF wasn't the lowest bidder on the artic contract, it was Ikarus. But because NABI merged with Ikarus the (MTA) wanted no business with them and went to New Flyer.

What was the model from Ikarus that was coming to nyc?

Most likely, it would have been the American Ikarus 436 model. Cities like Miami-Dade County Transit, MTA Maryland, WMATA to name a few.

Now before NABI came, Ikarus teamed up with Orion (hence your Orion 03.501 model). The ONLY U.S. system to operate those buses (AFAIK) was Milwaukee County Transit System back in the mid-80s (1986) when MOST of you were either babies OR were not even born yet.

Canada cashed in on those buses with Toronto having a bit before "wising-up" ....I mean sending some to OC Transpo, which THAT system ran them like NJTransit ran NYCTA's Grumman Flxibles. The difference was they did not last for 20 years as they were replaced by the New Flyer D60LF #6000s.

Hope that helps!

Most likely, it would have been the American Ikarus 436 model. Cities like Miami-Dade County Transit, MTA Maryland, WMATA to name a few.

Now before NABI came, Ikarus teamed up with Orion (hence your Orion 03.501 model). The ONLY U.S. system to operate those buses (AFAIK) was Milwaukee County Transit System back in the mid-80s (1986) when MOST of you were either babies OR were not even born yet.

Canada cashed in on those buses with Toronto having a bit before "wising-up" ....I mean sending some to OC Transpo, which THAT system ran them like NJTransit ran NYCTA's Grumman Flxibles. The difference was they did not last for 20 years as they were replaced by the New Flyer D60LF #6000s.

Hope that helps!

TTC and OC Transpo had their own orders of Orion III's with OC Transpo buying some of the ex TTC units for service and parts after TTC retired those. Also those D60LF's that replaced them in Ottawa have been replaced with new D60LFR's

I believe it is the opposite, NABI has had NO interest in dealing with the MTA at all citing the "cost of doing business"

I would think that the amount of publicity that could be gained from a successful term of service in the country's #1 transit agency would out weight the "cost of doing business" by leaps and bounds. Maybe they are just not ready to stand behind their product the way the MTA wants them to...

I would think that the amount of publicity that could be gained from a successful term of service in the country's #1 transit agency would out weight the "cost of doing business" by leaps and bounds. Maybe they are just not ready to stand behind their product the way the MTA wants them to...

If NABI screws over the (MTA) with a design flaw or such, they could easily go out of business with one good lawsuit.

That's my guess.

Hey it happened with Pullman & St Louis.

• 4 years later...

Archived