FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

I was thinking in terms of what was done in Philly with the Market-Frankford line when they were doing all the upgrades they did over the last couple of decades.  This included during the summer one and sometimes two-week shutdowns of parts of the line to do that work.

That to me is a reason to at the very least explore expanding Essex Street as the first station of a super long-term plan to eventually do such with ALL stations on the Nassau Street Line and eventually the entire Eastern Division.  So this to me is related to FASTRACK, but on a much longer-term line. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2018 at 5:34 PM, N6 Limited said:

They're including the maps on the site with the Fastrack changes now?

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/subwayActionPlan/Subwayplans_ace.htm

In that situation (in this case, Jan. 15-19 and 23-26), I would suspend the (E) entirely and have the (M) run an extended full route to 179 to replace the (E) during Fasttrack on such nights. 

Also, why not also have such Fasttracks Sunday night into Monday morning to give workers an extra night to get such work done? 

11 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

In that situation (in this case, Jan. 15-19 and 23-26), I would suspend the (E) entirely and have the (M) run an extended full route to 179 to replace the (E) during Fasttrack on such nights. 

Also, why not also have such Fasttracks Sunday night into Monday morning to give workers an extra night to get such work done? 

Weekend closures are still active Sunday night until 5AM. For instance, the 6 Av Line is closed until 5AM Monday. So 8 Av can't shut down until Monday night.

On 1/11/2018 at 2:34 PM, N6 Limited said:

They're including the maps on the site with the Fastrack changes now?

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/subwayActionPlan/Subwayplans_ace.htm

Their changes are getting better, with the less is more trend, but they could go quite a bit of ways.

De-emphasize fastracks, and make the copy for the times a little less verbose: "M-F 9:30PM-5AM next day", with the next line "1/15-1/19, 1/22-1/26" underneath.

All of that text should be gone and shown on the map somehow. Major transfer points are not noted on the map for some reason, which IMO is a major miss.

The definition of "early" for the (C) is a bit vague; with a bit of thinking you can say it ends at 9:30PM, but that isn't inherently obvious.

On 1/13/2018 at 10:16 AM, quadcorder said:

Weekend closures are still active Sunday night until 5AM. For instance, the 6 Av Line is closed until 5AM Monday. So 8 Av can't shut down until Monday night.

That then makes sense.  When such G.O.'s don't overlap like that, however, I would think where possible such FASTRACK G.O.'s should start on Sunday night to give crews an extra night to work on such (and when Sunday is involved, I would start such at 8:00 PM instead of 9:30 on Sunday to give even more time). 

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

That then makes sense.  When such G.O.'s don't overlap like that, however, I would think where possible such FASTRACK G.O.'s should start on Sunday night to give crews an extra night to work on such (and when Sunday is involved, I would start such at 8:00 PM instead of 9:30 on Sunday to give even more time). 

It would create rider confusion to have to track multiple different closure schedules. Right now, almost all closures are either weekend (Friday night to Monday morning) or weeknight (Monday through Thursday nights). This means you can look up the changes for the weekend and that knowledge will be enough for the whole weekend. The added complexity would definitely add to rider confusion.

9 hours ago, quadcorder said:

It would create rider confusion to have to track multiple different closure schedules. Right now, almost all closures are either weekend (Friday night to Monday morning) or weeknight (Monday through Thursday nights). This means you can look up the changes for the weekend and that knowledge will be enough for the whole weekend. The added complexity would definitely add to rider confusion.

I'm thinking more in terms of having five nights instead of four for such on FASTRACK.  By starting such earlier on Sundays (usually 8:00 PM) where possible, it gives workers even more time.

Riders should learn to pay attention much more and read the signs.  If they get upset, in my view that's on them for not being aware of such changes (you learn to make yourself aware of such).  

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

I'm thinking more in terms of having five nights instead of four for such on FASTRACK.  By starting such earlier on Sundays (usually 8:00 PM) where possible, it gives workers even more time.

Riders should learn to pay attention much more and read the signs.  If they get upset, in my view that's on them for not being aware of such changes (you learn to make yourself aware of such).  

There could always be more time for work. It's a trade-off with customer inconvenience. Sure, people would learn to check for updates again on Sunday evening.

• 3 weeks later...

Wallyhorse, always good for a laugh. If 145 on the (3) hasn't been extended yet, don't count on ANYTHING ELSE getting extended. They'd do the (L) line way before they'd even consider doing the (J) or (M) ..... and even if you had 600 ft platform at Essex St, that still doesn't take into consideration that 75 ft cars can't use the Chrystie St connector to get there, so you can forget about the (B)(D) or (F) terminating at Essex (and why bother when 2 Av makes a perfectly fine terminal?), which leaves just the (M) which can already platform at Essex just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 4:05 PM, kosciusko said:

The work needs to be done. Would you rather have shitty (E) service forever?

In this situation, I would re-route the (M) and (R) to 96th-2nd between start of FASTRACK and end of service for each line.  Alternatively for the (R), I would either have it run with the (N) to Astoria OR if a turnaround can be done fast enough, have it terminate at 60th and Lexington until end of service.

That's a lot of potential congestion for just to retain a couple of supplemental service for a couple of extra hours. That would create new mergers between the (Q)(R) and (M) at Lexington Av-63 St and the (Q)(R) and (N)(W) at 57 St-7 Av. I don't think it's worth it just to keep the services running for 2-3 hours.

On 2/11/2018 at 3:17 PM, I love NY said:

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/overnight-work-advance-mta-subway-action-plan-efmr-lines

Therefore no E trains in Manhattan late night for 2  weeks in the weekdays? Ridicolous........

There is no service for all trains along that segment of the line and all you can think about is your home line? That reflects the pervasive selfish and I-want-it-now mentality of New Yorkers. Take the (7). I promise it won’t be as bad as a bus or walking and not as expensive as getting an Uber.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

That's a lot of potential congestion for just to retain a couple of supplemental service for a couple of extra hours. That would create new mergers between the (Q)(R) and (M) at Lexington Av-63 St and the (Q)(R) and (N)(W) at 57 St-7 Av. I don't think it's worth it just to keep the services running for 2-3 hours.

The (W) ends early during the Fastrack actually.

But regardless, I agree with you its unnecessary 

On 2/13/2018 at 11:32 AM, Lance said:

I do, especially with the (M) because you have a lot of people in Brooklyn who do need the 6th Avenue Service at all times.  The mergers would be after rush hour, so it likely would not be as bad to do it at those time and to me worth it in order to keep services going that some people actually need.  

• Lance unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...