FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is precisely what it does.

6th Ave Fastrack

Cool thanks. Looks like from readin that map these changes occured besides the 6th Ave line shutdown. They seem to include the (R) running overnight the full route, along with the (N) having 'owl' service via the Bridge. And the (A) also running as an 8th Ave express all night between 145th and Canal. Still a Fulton Local in Brooklyn.

What about turning the (3) at 135? Wasteful, but appeasing.

Hint #1 for the (A)© (E) FASTRACK is posted: the (M) ends early and the notes imply that the (E) is going to 2 Av.

Which to me is stupid.

It would be better for those days to completely suspend the (E) and have the (M) run in the (E)'s place via 8th Avenue and QB, extended to Parsons-Archer as I would have done for the current 8th Avenue shutdown (with the (M) running its normal weekday route in the current FastTrack other than being extended). That would eliminate the normal (M) shuttle for those nights and eliminate the need for a set-up at 2nd Avenue when the (M) can pick up the slack using its regular terminal at Metropolitan and the (E)'s Parsons-Archer terminal. The only thing it might cause is some small inconveniences in the overnight and at the start of AM rush hour if people at Chambers who normally take the (E) to/from there have to walk to the (A) platform for a train there and also maybe having to extend (A) local service during the 6th Avenue G.O. in Manhattan for say an extra 15-30 minutes in the morning to cover Spring Street before the (E) trains come from Jamaica Center and ©'s from their terminals.

Which to me is stupid.

It would be better for those days to completely suspend the (E) and have the (M) run in the (E)'s place via 8th Avenue and QB, extended to Parsons-Archer as I would have done for the current 8th Avenue shutdown (with the (M) running its normal weekday route in the current FastTrack other than being extended). That would eliminate the normal (M) shuttle for those nights and eliminate the need for a set-up at 2nd Avenue when the (M) can pick up the slack using its regular terminal at Metropolitan and the (E)'s Parsons-Archer terminal. The only thing it might cause is some small inconveniences in the overnight and at the start of AM rush hour if people at Chambers who normally take the (E) to/from there have to walk to the (A) platform for a train there and also maybe having to extend (A) local service during the 6th Avenue G.O. in Manhattan for say an extra 15-30 minutes in the morning to cover Spring Street before the (E) trains come from Jamaica Center and ©'s from their terminals.

Or a better option would been extend the ® to Parsons/Archer since the ® is running 24/7 during this 6th ave line shutdown.

Or a better option would been extend the ® to Parsons/Archer since the ® is running 24/7 during this 6th ave line shutdown.

Good point! The ® could easily do it if it is running 24/7 anyway during the shutdown.

That said, I would also suspend the (E) and have the (M) replace it to 71-Continental. That to me makes more sense than having the (E) run to/from 2nd Avenue since the (M) can easily pick up the (E)'s route in its place and simply run its normal weekday route (other than running via 8th Avenue instead of 6th) with minimal inconveniences at the start AM rush.

The ® is not running 24/7. The map posted upthread is (stupidly) based on normal, non-late night service. Note how it also shows the © along 8th Avenue (which to answer your question Shortline, is also running express to make room for the (D)(E)(F)).

If that is the case, then this reverts back to what I originally said I'd do, that being to suspend the (E) during FastTrack and on those nights, have the (M) substitute running the (E)'s regular route along 8th avenue and it's own route otherwise while being extended to Parsons-Archer to also replace the (E) along that stretch (with the (M) obviously running all night as opposed to its normal shuttle route). The only thing that might have to be done differently in this scenario is to have some (A)s run local in Manhattan at the very beginning of AM rush to cover local stations on 8th Avenue until the © and (E) can cover those stations as normal.

(A)(C)(E) plan released, and it's relatively simple:

(A) runs local on CPW, then via the (F) to Jay St (6 Av Express)

(C) ends early

(E) all local to 2 Av

http://advisory.mtanyct.info/pdf_files/ACE_FASTRACK_map.pdf

Note that the number of non-FASTRACK related GO's have increased, and there is no northbound (R)(N) service in Lower Manhattan.

It says via 6th Avenue local for the (A) Train Actually not Express. And btw why does it have the (D) Train listed at 72nd Street? Unless its going local but it didn't say on the regular MTA Page

(A)(C)(E) plan released, and it's relatively simple:

(A) runs local on CPW, then via the (F) to Jay St (6 Av Express)

(C) ends early

(E) all local to 2 Av

http://advisory.mtanyct.info/pdf_files/ACE_FASTRACK_map.pdf

Note that the number of non-FASTRACK related GO's have increased, and there is no northbound (R)(N) service in Lower Manhattan.

Note that the linked map says that the (E) stops at 7 Av.

According to the GO, which is always more accurate than the map,

(A) Service operates between 207 St and Lefferts Blvd/Far Rockaway as follows:

• Via local between 168 St and 59 St-Columbus Circle

• Via the (D) between 59 St-Columbus Circle and 34 St-Herald Sq

• Via the (F) between 34 St-Herald Sq and Jay St-MetroTech

I guess you mean the Brooklyn(4th Ave/West end) section right?

That's what he's trying to say.
Yeah; because the actual Fasttrack work is north of W4, and the (D) to 2nd and (F) are still traveling through that section.

Unless they're tacking on some work on the express tracks south of W4 also, or something.

Yeah; because the actual Fasttrack work is north of W4, and the (D) to 2nd and (F) are still traveling through that section.

Unless they're tacking on some work on the express tracks south of W4 also, or something.

I just got back from Bway-Lafayette and there are workers doing work on the express tracks and doing some cleaning at the station. I guess that's why the (D) from Stillwell was not sent there. While Grand Street is closed, I guess there are workers there too. In addition, if not for the (Q) GO split in 2 sections, the D would have terminated at Pacific Street.

Which to me is stupid.

How about no....

Why don't they merge the southern (D) with the northern (Q)? People will still be able to connect between sections via the (2) and (4) trains.

I mentioned that too. But someone pointed out, it may confuse passengers who want ether Bronx or Brooklyn bound service. People who get on the (D) along Broadway would think its going to the Bronx, and those who get on the (D) along 8th Avenue may get confuse of it going to Brooklyn.

If its sooooooo confusing, then send the (D) to 42nd Street for connecting directly between the (D)s rather then Whitehall Street, forcing people to use the (A)(F) at Jay or the (N)(Q) to 42nd. I was at Whitehall Street and Jay this week, and people were confused as hell. But Idc, some of them are at fault for being to lazy and NOT read the G/O posters, which has been up about week.