FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

i'd wonder what it be like if they put FASTRACK on the LIRR/Metro-North

Fastrack was not created by the MTA itself for all its division. It was created by NYCT.

Plus there is no need for Fastrack. Metro-North and LIRR got things under control. TBH most of MNCRR looks totally up-to-date. Except the NEC.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'd wonder what it be like if they put FASTRACK on the LIRR/Metro-North

Shuttle buses and anger. Work usually can't happen overnight so it's spread out over a few months during the middle of the day or weekend. If its a 2-4 track line, trains either single track or use temporary platforms. If the line is already single track, it's buses off peak for those few months.

After two successful rounds of FASTRACK along the numbered lines, MTA New York City Transit shifted the intensive maintenance and clean-up program over to the Sixth Avenue (:D(D)(F)(M) lines where hundreds of Transit workers performed a week-long blitz of inspecting, repairing maintaining, cleaning and painting infrastructure between 59th Street-Columbus Circle and West 4th Street.

Read more here.

How about no....

And why not?

Especially for the 8th Avenue phase of Fasttrack, you can simply have the (E) and (M) swap normal 24/7 roles (since the 8th Avenue line will be closed then) with the (E) suspended and the (M) running its regular weekday route (no shuttle on those nights) and simply otherwise extended to Parsons-Archer to cover for the (E). Other than perhaps at the very beginning of AM rush having the (A) run local until the © and (E) start reaching the local stops, to me it makes a lot more sense than having the (E) terminate at Second Avenue, especially since the (M) can easily pick up the slack for those nights and for a few nights, the added bonus of giving Broadway-Brooklyn riders the same one-seat ride to Manhattan they have on weekdays.

And why not?

Especially for the 8th Avenue phase of Fasttrack, you can simply have the (E) and (M) swap normal 24/7 roles (since the 8th Avenue line will be closed then) with the (E) suspended and the (M) running its regular weekday route (no shuttle on those nights) and simply otherwise extended to Parsons-Archer to cover for the (E). Other than perhaps at the very beginning of AM rush having the (A) run local until the © and (E) start reaching the local stops, to me it makes a lot more sense than having the (E) terminate at Second Avenue, especially since the (M) can easily pick up the slack for those nights and for a few nights, the added bonus of giving Broadway-Brooklyn riders the same one-seat ride to Manhattan they have on weekdays.

It COULD work, but knowing the (MTA) it may just be a bit expensive for them. Plus all of this goes thru the Union and stuff, since workers would be extending themselves thru another borough.

I wouldn't use the (M) anyways, use the (E) rather.

The MTA’s new overnight subway repair program is heading to northern Manhattan and the outer boroughs, the Daily News has learned.

The agency plans to begin periodic weeknight shutdowns of subway lines between midtown and 125th St. next year, authorities said.

The streamlined service work is part of the Fastrack program, which launched in January on the Lexington Ave. line.

Under the program this year, the Lexington Ave., Sixth Ave., Seventh Ave. and Eighth Ave. lines will close between midtown and lower Manhattan or midtown and downtown Brooklyn once every three months. Each service suspension runs from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. four consecutive weeknights.

Transit officials say it allows workers to do more inspections, repairs and maintenance tasks.

“The plan is to use 2012 as a period to learn what went right, what went wrong and what we have to improve, and use that as a base when expanding to northern Manhattan and the outer boroughs,” NYC Transit President Tom Prendergast said.

Fastrack would likely reach the outer boroughs in 2015, he said.

From

Subways from midtown north will shut down during overnight hours next year for repairs - NY Daily News

Guest lance25

Every once in a while? It's more like once or twice a week now.

As for the agency's ambitions here, I'm a little curious on how they're going to FasTrack the outer boroughs, especially on the elevated lines. I'm almost certain that the idea of having work done outside someone's window at 3AM will fly like a lead balloon.

When "outerboros" are mentioned, can't just think and expect every single outerboro trunk will get it. Even now Bway and Nassau doesn't get a FASTRACK. As was discussed earlier, we expected upper IRT Bway and the CPW lines would be able to get it, as well as the Concourse line in the Bronx. They might even find a way to bring it to underground lines in Brooklyn (Fulton, Culver, IRT).

Next FASTRACK: 7 Av, April 9.

Northern Manhattan is a good candidate for FASTRACK, just be very careful with the Lex...I hope they don't just run the crosstown buses overnight.

As for outer boroughs, Concourse is the obvious one. The others need shuttle buses galore.

I would prefer nightly shutdowns over weekend and day/night work anytime.

Unfortunately since large percent of our network is NOT underground, some of the work has to be done during day time, rendering nightly shutdown of el, embankment and open cuts useless. Thus system wide overnight shutdowns are unfeasible and that is why there will always be(hope i'm wrong) at least spotty weekend work throughout the whole city.

Love how they painted Grand St. ceiling normal white instead of that dirty/creamy white they used to have. Also why don't paint the whole ceiling white, instead painting area above track with black. IMO it would look much better if whole ceiling was white, the station can always use a bit more light.

Every once in a while? It's more like once or twice a week now.

As for the agency's ambitions here, I'm a little curious on how they're going to FasTrack the outer boroughs, especially on the elevated lines. I'm almost certain that the idea of having work done outside someone's window at 3AM will fly like a lead balloon.

Don't ride the (N) often, but it seems when I did, the (N) was on the (D) in one direction or the other.

Guest lance25

The FasTrack work will be done four times a year, i.e., once every three months. 7th Avenue was done in January and three months later is April, so, um, yeah. Time flies, doesn't it?

It COULD work, but knowing the (MTA) it may just be a bit expensive for them. Plus all of this goes thru the Union and stuff, since workers would be extending themselves thru another borough.

I wouldn't use the (M) anyways, use the (E) rather.

The (M) and overnight (E) are essentially the same route in this case from Broadway-Lafayette onward. The only difference is that Broadway-Brooklyn riders would have a full (M) train instead of the shuttle while the (M) would simply be extended otherwise to the (E)'s terminal at Parsons-Archer. This would eliminate the need to use 2nd Avenue as a terminal for the (E) and for those nights the normal Myrtle Avenue terminal for the (M) shuttle would not be needed either. The only thing that might be necessary is at the very beginning of AM rush, a few (A)s might have to run local in Manhattan until the © and (E) start serving local stations as normal. Otherwise, I would think everyone at the (MTA), including the Union would realize that for FastTrack, suspending the (E) and running the (M) in its place makes more sense.

The second Capital Closure:

(E) Manhattan-bound trains skip Van Wyck Blvd and 75 Av

All times, 12:01 AM Sat, Apr 7 to 5 AM Mon, Apr 16

(F) Coney Island-bound trains skip Sutphin Blvd, Van Wyck Blvd and 75 Av

All times, 12:01 AM Sat, Apr 7 to 5 AM Mon, Apr 16

(the first one was a (D) express suspension for 1 week)

The (M) and overnight (E) are essentially the same route in this case from Broadway-Lafayette onward. The only difference is that Broadway-Brooklyn riders would have a full (M) train instead of the shuttle while the (M) would simply be extended otherwise to the (E)'s terminal at Parsons-Archer. This would eliminate the need to use 2nd Avenue as a terminal for the (E) and for those nights the normal Myrtle Avenue terminal for the (M) shuttle would not be needed either. The only thing that might be necessary is at the very beginning of AM rush, a few (A)s might have to run local in Manhattan until the © and (E) start serving local stations as normal. Otherwise, I would think everyone at the (MTA), including the Union would realize that for FastTrack, suspending the (E) and running the (M) in its place makes more sense.

I dont think they want the 8 car trains providing regular service overnight, even though it's just a one seat ride. The other logistical problem is once service gets back up and running again, crews will be out of place for normal (E) service. Its easier to just change destinations instead of changing destination and equipment too. If the BMT Eastern Div ran full length 600' trains, then its a no brainer.

I dont think they want the 8 car trains providing regular service overnight, even though it's just a one seat ride. The other logistical problem is once service gets back up and running again, crews will be out of place for normal (E) service. Its easier to just change destinations instead of changing destination and equipment too. If the BMT Eastern Div ran full length 600' trains, then its a no brainer.

I see where that can be an issue, but the (M) normally runs out of Jamaica Yard as it is, so it could be timed where at the start, a few (E)s started at 71st-Continental while the last few (M)s finished at Parsons-Archer.

Another option would be to have the (M) run to 71st-Continental as it normally does on weekdays while there is an (E) shuttle between 71-Continental and Parsons-Archer for those nights. That might be a way to work around the equipment issue while also storing a couple of (E)s at Chambers Terminal for right after FastTrack ends in the morning.