FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

I see where that can be an issue, but the (M) normally runs out of Jamaica Yard as it is, so it could be timed where at the start, a few (E)s started at 71st-Continental while the last few (M)s finished at Parsons-Archer.

Another option would be to have the (M) run to 71st-Continental as it normally does on weekdays while there is an (E) shuttle between 71-Continental and Parsons-Archer for those nights. That might be a way to work around the equipment issue while also storing a couple of (E)s at Chambers Terminal for right after FastTrack ends in the morning.

The (M) is out of East New York Yard, not Jamaica. Some (M) trains are just stored there for when it begins and ends service.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just notice something. I think that second 7th Ave fast track was misprinted. Here we are notice that Lex Ave was first, then 7th Ave then 6th Ave then 8th ave. But i notice when is Broadway Fast track? That my theory and opinion.

The Broadway line will not receive fastrack but it may or may not happen later.

Guest lance25

Neither Broadway nor Nassau Street will be part of this version of FasTrack. Whether it will be added to next year's version has not been determined yet.

'Dem shuttle buses.

I'm not fully familiar with the logistics of this, but I would think that Quill, 100th St and 126th St Depots would have enough buses overnight to cover an Upper East Side Lexington Ave Fastrack. Worse comes to worse, I don't think any outer borough trunk (except maybe 4th Av or Queens Blvd) would have trouble getting Shuttle buses for a night fastrack.

The Copenhagen Metro is operating on a 24/7 basis within a two-track system, which means maintenance activities will be performed in one track, while at the same time service will be carried out on the other track. This means that all track maintenance activities are performed in a four hour timeframe each night.

Also Chicago, the PATCO in Philadelphia and the Path and the SIR in NYC ( the only other 24/7 systems in the world ) haven't this Fastrack ..............

I'm not fully familiar with the logistics of this, but I would think that Quill, 100th St and 126th St Depots would have enough buses overnight to cover an Upper East Side Lexington Ave Fastrack. Worse comes to worse, I don't think any outer borough trunk (except maybe 4th Av or Queens Blvd) would have trouble getting Shuttle buses for a night fastrack.

There should be enough for 4 Av if the MTA forces people to go via Coney Island for the West End/Sea Beach lines.

No chance in the world of busing Queens Blvd.

The Copenhagen Metro is operating on a 24/7 basis within a two-track system, which means maintenance activities will be performed in one track, while at the same time service will be carried out on the other track. This means that all track maintenance activities are performed in a four hour timeframe each night.

Also Chicago, the PATCO in Philadelphia and the Path and the SIR in NYC ( the only other 24/7 systems in the world ) haven't this Fastrack ..............

PATCO, PATH, and SIR operate on 30 to 60 minute headways at night. Because their systems are small, they can single track without significant delays.

I don't know how CTA does it.

Single tracking won't work in NYC, just look at WMATA where passengers are told to expect 30-40 minutes of extra travel time.

In each of the Fast-Track operations, the MTA did not provide alternative shuttle buses, or promote the usage of bus.

In addition to organizing the workers for the Fast=Track operation, each shuttle bus requires a driver. The Fast-Track program simply re-arranges the work that would be done, as well as the workers for the task. The more shuttle buses that are used, the greater the cost of the operation, and those costs have to coordinated between the various departments.

Remember that even during the hours of the Fast-Track operation, the subways still carry a great deal of people.

Mike

In each of the Fast-Track operations, the MTA did not provide alternative shuttle buses, or promote the usage of bus.

In addition to organizing the workers for the Fast=Track operation, each shuttle bus requires a driver. The Fast-Track program simply re-arranges the work that would be done, as well as the workers for the task. The more shuttle buses that are used, the greater the cost of the operation, and those costs have to coordinated between the various departments.

Remember that even during the hours of the Fast-Track operation, the subways still carry a great deal of people.

Mike

There was shuttle bus Service for the Grand Street (D) as per announcements around.

How would fast track on the Broadway line work? Where would the (N) and (Q) go? Obviously the ® ends early

This is how the fastrack on the Broadway line Work.

(N) runs in 2 sections Astoria Ditmas Blvd to Queensboro Plaza or 34 st depending where the work will be and Pacific st and Coney Island via 4th av express.

(Q) is suspended and is replaced by the (cool.png in Brooklyn.

® is supended and replaced by free shuttle buses. Shuttle buses run between 36st and 95st making all ® stops.

(cool.png runs overnight. Regular route between 145st and Prospect Park then make all (Q) stops to Coney Island.

(D) runs local between Dekalb Av And 36st.

(4) runs local in Manhattan.

There should be enough for 4 Av if the MTA forces people to go via Coney Island for the West End/Sea Beach lines.

No chance in the world of busing Queens Blvd.

PATCO, PATH, and SIR operate on 30 to 60 minute headways at night. Because their systems are small, they can single track without significant delays.

I don't know how CTA does it.

Single tracking won't work in NYC, just look at WMATA where passengers are told to expect 30-40 minutes of extra travel time.

Can't also the NYC subway operate on 30/40 minute headways at night ( when there are the maintenance works, of course ) and to continue the service ?

It's currently at 20 minute headways.

The whole point of FasTrack is to eliminate trains completely from the area. If we wanted to shut only one track, we could have done that with (yet more) weekend GOs.

I'm assuming you know that FasTrack affects four-track lines, right?

It's currently at 20 minute headways.

The whole point of FasTrack is to eliminate trains completely from the area. If we wanted to shut only one track, we could have done that with (yet more) weekend GOs.

I'm assuming you know that FasTrack affects four-track lines, right?

Yes, and I don't realize it because for 108 years the advantage to have 4 tracks has allowed to this subway to be 24/7 without interruption for maintenance works.:)

While it may be unfortunate for customers, the reality of a 100+ year old system, with about 20 years of no maintenance whatsoever, has caught up to the MTA.

And finally, it's not like the entire subway is shutting down! It's only one line, a dozen or so stations, for four consecutive weeknights.

(N) runs in 2 sections Astoria Ditmas Blvd to Queensboro Plaza or 34 st depending where the work will be and Pacific st and Coney Island via 4th av express.

(Q) is suspended and is replaced by the (cool.png in Brooklyn.

® is supended and replaced by free shuttle buses. Shuttle buses run between 36st and 95st making all ® stops.

(cool.png runs overnight. Regular route between 145st and Prospect Park then make all (Q) stops to Coney Island.

(D) runs local between Dekalb Av And 36st.

(4) runs local in Manhattan.

I knew someone would have to give it a try... other than the small amount of shuttle buses for Grand St (because there is no other subway nearby with a clean line of walking distance), the rest of the service around the FASTRACK remained mostly unchanged. They ran the (S) overnite for Lex and I think 7Av too, and replaced the (2) with (5). Drastic changes weren't really made. Making a service that doesnt run at night run overnight is drastic (the shuttle is two stops and is done whenever the (7) doesn't enter Manhattan, that doesn't count). Also, the ® has layup trains between 36-59 on the express track, that's why just before bypass service ends a few (N)'s go local from 36th southbound. Therefore...

(N)(Q) to Whitehall St (with 12 min headways each, Whitehall can turn both services).

(N) to Lex-59 (important to provide connection here so not to overload the (7)).

® 71-Ctl to 95, via (F)(D) from 36st (Queens) to Dekalb. Whitehall trips to 2Av instead (which allows the (E) to remain unchanged).

Its important to maintain both Steinway and 60st tubes, this is not the weekend now... also while it is annoying, the (6) can handle any extra crowding by itself, doesn't need the (4) local too. The train at Brooklyn Bridge generally leaves empty unless a connection is made.

Edited by Harry

I knew someone would have to give it a try... other than the small amount of shuttle buses for Grand St (because there is no other subway nearby with a clean line of walking distance), the rest of the service around the FASTRACK remained mostly unchanged. They ran the (S) overnite for Lex and I think 7Av too, and replaced the (2) with (5). Drastic changes weren't really made. Making a service that doesnt run at night run overnight is drastic (the shuttle is two stops and is done whenever the (7) doesn't enter Manhattan, that doesn't count). Also, the ® has layup trains between 36-59 on the express track, that's why just before bypass service ends a few (N)'s go local from 36th southbound. Therefore...

(N)(Q) to Whitehall St (with 12 min headways each, Whitehall can turn both services).

(N) to Lex-59 (important to provide connection here so not to overload the (7)).

® 71-Ctl to 95, via (F)(D) from 36st (Queens) to Dekalb. Whitehall trips to 2Av instead (which allows the (E) to remain unchanged).

Its important to maintain both Steinway and 60st tubes, this is not the weekend now... also while it is annoying, the (6) can handle any extra crowding by itself, doesn't need the (4) local too. The train at Brooklyn Bridge generally leaves empty unless a connection is made.

Would the (cool.png be useful overnight if the MTA wants to shut down both tunnel and bridge service in both directions during the fastrack on the Broadway Line

The (M) is out of East New York Yard, not Jamaica. Some (M) trains are just stored there for when it begins and ends service.

Didn't realize the (M) still operates out of East New York even though it actually could conceivably be based out of Jamaica Yard, so I can see where that could be an issue.

At the same time, if the (M) did replace the (E) on FastTracks involving 6th or 8th Avenue, I still think that would make more sense since it would only be at the very beginning of AM rush where there might be some issues that I suspect could be resolved you had the (M) sub for the (E) (with a few strategically placed (E)s as noted previously stored at Chambers Terminal and also at 2nd Avenue to be used as put-ins at the beginning of AM rush) since that would allow for a one-seat ride for Broadway Brooklyn riders on an extended (M) train to Parsons-Archer or an (M) running normal to 71-Continental (as opposed to the normal three-seat ride between the (M)/ (J) or (L)/ (F) overnight (M) riders have to deal with) during those overnights (while in the latter scenario, the (E) running a shuttle between 71-Continental or Queens Boulevard and Parsons-Archer, if to/from QB using the express tracks). If you can somehow stream equipment and make it there is little disruption to the start of AM rush, then it is worth it since you can also use those FastTracks to gauge whether or not the (M) can be a 24/7 line to QB in the future once funds permit that.

- (N) runs in 2 sections Astoria Ditmas Blvd to Queensboro Plaza or 34 st depending where the work will be and Pacific st and Coney Island via 4th av express.

- (Q) is suspended and is replaced by the (cool.png in Brooklyn.

-® is supended and replaced by free shuttle buses. Shuttle buses run between 36st and 95st making all ® stops.

-(cool.png runs overnight. Regular route between 145st and Prospect Park then make all (Q) stops to Coney Island.

- (D) runs local between Dekalb Av And 36st.

- (4) runs local in Manhattan.

Not a bad suggestion there, buddy. It's such a nice idea after all, but I might think that FASTRACK on the BMT Broadway Line should be affected between Queensboro Plaza or Queens Plaza, Queens and Atlantic Av-Pacific St, Brooklyn sort of like this:

-(cool.png Train service ends early (we all know that already).

- (D) Trains run local in Brooklyn between DeKalb Av and 36th St/4th Av both directions.

- (N) Trains run in 2 sections: 1. Between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza, Queens. 2. Between Atlantic Av-Pacific St and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn via 4th Avenue Express.

- (Q) Trains will be running as a shuttle train service between Prospect Park and Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

-® Train service in Queens and Manhattan ends early (last train to Bay Ridge-95th St leaves Forest Hills-71st Av at 9:04 PM and last train to Forest Hills-71st Av leaves Bay Ridge-95th St at 8:58 PM).

Here is my suggestion for another FASTRACK maintenance that will be taking place on the (G) Train Line for 2 weeks.

- (G) Trains will be running 1 section a week. 1st week: Between Court Square, Queens and Bedford-Nostrand Avs, Brooklyn. 2nd week: Between Bedford-Nostrand Avs and Church Av, Brooklyn.

As an alternative, take the (A), ©, (E), (F) and (M)* Trains in Queens and Brooklyn.

*Late Night (M) Train service will be extended to Queens Plaza, Queens