FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

ACE plan released, and it's relatively simple:

-A runs local on CPW, then via the D, and F to Jay St (6 Av Express) followed by local service on the C Line in Brooklyn

-C ends early

-E all local to 2 Av

http://advisory.mtan...ASTRACK_map.pdf

Note that the number of non-FASTRACK related GO's have increased, and there is no northbound N, and R service in Lower Manhattan.

That reminds me, if the A Trains are running local via the C, D, and F Lines between 168th St, Manhattan and Jay St-MetroTech, Brooklyn, and they're replacing the C between Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts and Euclid Av, Brooklyn. This would mean that there will be another subway car reassignment on the A and C Train lines. A Trains will be sharing their R-46 subway cars to the C, while the C Trains will be equipped with 10-car R-32 subway trains, they'll be sharing their trains to the A and itself. Plus, the NIS R-160A2/B (Alstom) subway trains will come from either the Jamaica Yard in Queens or the Coney Island Annex Yard in Brooklyn would come on over via the A, C, and D lines to the Concourse Yard in the Bronx, 207th St Yard in Manhattan, Pitkin Yard in Brooklyn, and the Rockaway Park Yard in Queens. We'll be seeing full trains running along the NYC Subway Lines as follows:

(A): R-32, R-46, and R-160A2

(cool.png: R-32, R-68/R-68A, and R-160A2/B (alstom)

©: R-32, R-46, and R-160A2

(D): R-32, R-68, and R-160A2/B (alstom)

(E): R-160A2/B (alstom)

(F): R-46, R-160A2/B (alstom)

(G): R-68/R-68A, and R-160A2/B (alstom)

(N): R-46, and R-160B (alstom ans siemens)

(Q): R-68/R-68A, and R-160B (alstom ans siemens)

®: R-46, and R-160B (alstom ans siemens)

(S) Rockaway Park Shuttle: R-160A2

It looks like the (MTA)'s subway car assignment for the summer has been called earlier ahead as planned and (*puts on sunglasses*) it was just the time I need to have this message be sent in so it can be read loud and clear.:cool:YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there were a Broadway Fastrack, how would you change service?

I would do this:

Shut down the entire Broadway line from 34 Street-Herald Square to DeKalb Avenue including Montague tunnel. Q trains rerouted via 6 ave express, N trains split in 2 sections while the R train runs as the 95-59 shuttle. The (2), (3), (4), (5), (D), and (E) trains provide alternate service.

(N) trains run in 2 sections:

1. From Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. to 34 Street-Herald Square. Note: Uptown N trains skip 49 Street Transfer to the (D) train for Brooklyn service.

2. From Stillwell Avenue to 36 Street via Sea Beach. Transfer to the D train for Manhattan bound service. Note: 36 Street bound trains skip 53 and 45 Streets.

(Q) trains run from Stillwell Avenue to DeKalb Avenue then via the (D) to 47-50 Streets and then via the (F) to 21 Street-Queensbridge. (F) trains rerouted via the (M) between 47-50 Sts and Queens Plaza in both directions. Free shuttle buses are available between 21 Street and Queens Plaza.

® trains run as a shuttle between Bay Ridge-95 Street and 59 Street. All trains board at the Manhattan bound platform.

(D) trains run local in Brooklyn in both directions, stopping at DeKalb Avenue.

That's how I did the service changes, I really found it difficult though. Any of you guys or ladies have better ideas? Please share. smile.png

Not a bad suggestion there, buddy. It's such a nice idea after all, but I might think that FASTRACK on the BMT Broadway Line should be affected between Queensboro Plaza or Queens Plaza, Queens and Atlantic Av-Pacific St, Brooklyn sort of like this:

-(cool.png Train service ends early (we all know that already).

- (D) Trains run local in Brooklyn between DeKalb Av and 36th St/4th Av both directions.

- (N) Trains run in 2 sections: 1. Between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza, Queens. 2. Between Atlantic Av-Pacific St and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, Brooklyn via 4th Avenue Express.

- (Q) Trains will be running as a shuttle train service between Prospect Park and Coney Island-Stillwell Av.

-® Train service in Queens and Manhattan ends early (last train to Bay Ridge-95th St leaves Forest Hills-71st Av at 9:04 PM and last train to Forest Hills-71st Av leaves Bay Ridge-95th St at 8:58 PM).

Yours sound better than the one I posted above, I just don't know if running the northern (N) from Ditmars to Queensboro Plaza is a good idea, then again that's just me.

I always thought it would be 57-7 to Canal (both levels). That allows service to go to 59-Lex and Whitehall St.

Which is important because otherwise, those who actually do ride the (N) between Astoria and Brooklyn are faced with a three or four-seat ride of the (N) to Queensboro Plaza, (7) to Grand Central, 5th Avenue or Times Square, if from 5th Avenue (D) or (F) to Brooklyn or otherwise (4)/ (6) to Bleecker and then (D)/ (F) OR to Atlantic-Pacific and then (N), (D), or (cool.png/ (Q). 57th to Canal makes sense as long as the lower level is available in case trains have to use the Manny B, otherwise, 57th-Whitehall would make sense for Broadway.

As for how I'd handle a Broadway FastTrack (assuming 57th-Whitehall):

(N) is in two sections from 57/7 to Astoria and Whitehall-Coney Island

Regular ® ends early and is replaced by ® shuttle that is extended to Atlantic-Pacfic.

(Q) is shortened to five cars (using R160s only) and runs via the (J) and then ® via Montauge from Essex or Chambers Street-DeKalb Avenue and then going regular route ( (Q) from Astoria ends early and yes, this would have the (Q) running essentially the old (Mx) route).

That to me might very well work.

Guest lance25

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. In fact, I'd be more surprised if/when the local media would announce service changes on the shuttles as the specific shuttle lines and not simply the S-train. Yeah, I get that they probably don't use the lines they're reporting the service changes on, but a little investigative journalism doesn't hurt every now and again.

(Q) is shortened to five cars (using R160s only) and runs via the (J) and then ® via Montauge from Essex or Chambers Street-DeKalb Avenue and then going regular route ( (Q) from Astoria ends early and yes, this would have the (Q) running essentially the old (Mx) route).

That to me might very well work.

They need 5 car markers on the Eastern Div. (Nassau) for that. They really should do that, as it would allow flexibility, such as resuming the Banker's specials, but using CI equipment instead of bringing ENY equipment back over.

I was listening to the video and she said it all wrong at the end. She stated that 7 line is part of lexington. LOL To go directly to her mistake look for 1:35 to 2:00

MTA "Fastrack" Repairs Begin On Eighth Avenue Line - NY1.com

Actually, she didn't. I agree that the media usually couldn't care less about correctly reporting transit service changes, but what she actually said was that "FASTRACK has been implemented already on the 6th, 7th and Lexington Avenue lines".

I was listening to the video and she said it all wrong at the end. She stated that 7 line is part of lexington. LOL To go directly to her mistake look for 1:35 to 2:00

MTA "Fastrack" Repairs Begin On Eighth Avenue Line - NY1.com

"It is a major inconvenience because I do overnight shifts so I would have to leave my house around 9 p.m. just to get here. I will be getting here around two hours early, I'm losing sleep. Basically it is a major problem for me," said one subway rider."

This rider was interviewed at 59th street. 59th street still has service from the A and D trains. They should have asked where he was commuting from.

This rider was interviewed at 59th street. 59th street still has service from the A and D trains. They should have asked where he was commuting from.

Likely a combination of someone who was completely ignorant of the changes coupled with a reporter failed to know what exactly the changes were. These journalists should be required to know all the subway lines and where they go if they are going to be reporting on them.

So many people are caught in their own worlds that they are unaware of what is going on elsewhere and how it affects them at times.

It seems that the big hoopla is over now and commuters are getting used to it. And perhaps some are learning the subway more extensively, as they should.

Well not more extensively, but are figuring out the real distances between stations and lines. I mean there are people who's destination is somewhere along 8Av and they originated on one of the 7Av lines and would go thru fire and brimstone to use an 8Av station, when all they had to do is use a 7Av station and walk a block... its more like getting to know the city more.

Sometimes people "stick" to certain lines and train routes because that is the simplest method to get between their destinations. When I lived in the Bronx on the #6 line, and rode the #6 train to and from 23rd Street or 14th Street on the eastside - (my destination was 19th Street and Irving Place at the time) - did it really matter to me that there were trains on 8th Avenue or 7th Avenue? Nope. Yes - getting to know Manhattan or New York City is a good thing in and of itself. It is always a good thing to remind yourself that plenty of people have different travel needs, and destinations. The nature of the NYC subway requires us to be mindful that good alternatives - that are timely and not complicated - do not always exist. A person may walk a block between 7th and 8th Avenue and their stations, but it is possible that the trains at either 7th AVenue or 8th Avenue (the one the person does not often use - does not help that person get to their destination in a timely manner or without several complicated transfers - then can we say that the existence of the "other subway line" is really an alternative?

Mike