FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Around the Horn" data-cid="640144" data-time="1359771280"><p>

how will the 4th avenue fastrack work?</p></blockquote>

I don't know about the (R) but most likely N trains would run via the (D) on both directions. It's only south of 36 St.

Probably they will start bus shuttles to compensate for the (D) and the (N). Maybe a NX style thru service through Coney Island (that is if those old switches are still there, I'm going off the top of my head didnt look at the current track maps.... or/with reroutes over the brighton? Not sure. Just throwing out there the possibilities.

Edited by realizm

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="realizm" data-cid="640182" data-time="1359773604"><p>

Probably they will start bus shuttles to compensate for the (D) and the (N). Maybe a NX style thru service through Coney Island (that is if those old switches are still there, I'm going off the top of my head didnt look at the current track maps.... or/with reroutes over the brighton? Not sure. Just throwing out there the possibilities.</p></blockquote>

What do you mean? You mean the suspended fastrack??

It's easier to convey to the regular riders that the Q is being rerouted up Sixth Avenue than it is to tell them that 1) the B is running late nights, 2) is running local on the Brighton line and 3) is being extended to Stillwell Av. The idea is to make this as easy to comprehend as possible, not to Wallyhorse the railroad.

Or we are dealing with too many people who don't pay attention to what is going on.  I would have had the (B) operate instead of re-routing the (Q).  Most people know the (B) operates there and would realize it is running in place of the (Q) (and those who don't, well......).

Or maybe I'm crediting people with being intelligent who are not so much.

@Wallyhorse: I stand by what I said. You and I, we'd easily understand what the B would be doing if it ran in lieu of the Q for the Broadway FASTRACK. Mainly because we know the transit system better than most folks. The average Joe Schmo? Not so much. They'd be even more lost than normal.

Or we are dealing with too many people who don't pay attention to what is going on.  I would have had the (B) operate instead of re-routing the (Q).  Most people know the (B) operates there and would realize it is running in place of the (Q) (and those who don't, well......).

Or maybe I'm crediting people with being intelligent who are not so much.

Why would they realize it is running in place of the Q? Regular Brighton riders know the B is part-time, but they don't necessarily know the exact time of the last train. Especially in the early part of the GO, going northbound, they may see the B and decide to wait for the Q so they can get to Broadway. And going southbound, riders going to local stops might insist on waiting for the Q, since the B never makes local stops.

The B also doesn't run to 57th and 6th.

Labeling it Q solves those problems.

1.png trains and M4 buses provide alternate service
Late Nights, 10 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Feb 25 - Mar 1

A.png Service operates between Lefferts Blvd/Howard Beach and 168 St, making local stops.
C.png Service does not operate.

1.png trains make nearby stops between 168 St and 207 St.
M4 buses make all stops between 168 St and 207 St.

The (A) train fastrack for the week of 25th.

Does anyone have any idea what they're promoting as the alternative lines for the Queens Blvd Fastrack? (spoiler alert: There aren't any)

I do not know what the MTA plans as alternative lines. So I will make a prediction.

The (7)  (J)  (N)  (Q)  will most likely be used for alternatives. The (N)  (Q) are close to (M)  (R)

stations between Court Square and 46 St so people using those stations can walk to 31 st for (N)  (Q) service.

The (7) is close to most stations on the Queens Blvd Line which is an perfect alternative to the (E)  (F)  (M)  (R) .

Even though the (J) dosen't even go near the affected stations on the Queens Blvd Line. Those living in Jamaica and Kew Gardens can also use the (J) for direct service to Manhattan instead of taking the Queens Blvd Line shuttle to 74 St for (7)      

Does anyone have any idea what they're promoting as the alternative lines for the Queens Blvd Fastrack? (spoiler alert: There aren't any)

I'm guessing there's going to be some sort of a shuttle bus service. People who live around the Northern Blvd station have one helluva walk to get to the (7), and trekking to 46th Street from 31st doesn't sound too appealing either.

I'm guessing there's going to be some sort of a shuttle bus service. People who live around the Northern Blvd station have one helluva walk to get to the (7), and trekking to 46th Street from 31st doesn't sound too appealing either.

Yeah, I live between 46 st and Northern and it's a full mile to the (N)(Q). Same thing to the (7). If the MTA is telling me to walk I'm going to have some choice words. And don't tell me the Q18 is a viable alternative - it comes every half hour at best after midnight.

The 7 is an alternative for through riders. Local riders will have a shuttle bus. (Remember, the subway will be running between Roosevelt and the two Jamaica terminals.)

I may be wrong (I probably am wrong) but I think the MTA only releases details of FASTRACK reroutes and alternatives one week before the work begins, so on my logic details would be released next Monday, could easily be wrong but I'm reasonably sure that's how it's been advertised on the MTA website before now!