FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They posted it a bit earlier than I thought:

E.png No trains between Roosevelt Av and World Trade Center   F.png No trains between Roosevelt Av and 21 St-Queensbridge M.png R.png Service ends early
Late Nights, 10 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Mar 18 - 22 

E.png service operates between Jamaica Center and Roosevelt Av, making local stops. 

F.png service operates in two sections: 
  1. Between 179 St and Roosevelt Av 
  2. Between 21 St-Queensbridge and Stillwell Av 

shuttle_bus.png buses operate between Roosevelt Av and Queensboro Plaza
stopping at 65 St, Northern Blvd, 46 St, Steinway St, 36 St and Queens Plaza. 

Seems reasonable. Interesting that the (F) will apparently operate express on the eastern side of the closure.

I was suprised that they are not splitting the (E) service. Becoming almost like a shuttle. They will also provide extra (7) service until 2:30am. Why they cannot provide additional (A) service to pick up the (E) service in Manhattan. The extra (A) service could terminate at WTC (unless they going to do some track work @ WTC area.

Does anyone know why (M) service to/from Forest Hills end 1 hour early than (R) service to/from Forest Hills during Queen Blvd Fastrack?

Even the R ends at 9:10 in one of the directions. Calling the change 10-5am is a farce. Who knows if the shuttle buses are running until 10 either, the information doesn't say anywhere.

I never complain about construction, because I know it's something that's as essential as breathing, but in the month of March, my station is closed queens-bound for 34% of the hours in the month, between Fastrack and other GO's. It's getting kind of long in the tooth.

Guest Lance

That's not a good idea in my opinion (having the A handle 8th Avenue alone that is). The C's hours should be extended until 1am. Yes, I get that FASTRACK is supposed to be done using already available options, not adding service, but having the A as the sole 8th Avenue service after 11 sounds like trouble waiting to happen. But I could be wrong. We'll have to see what happens next week.

New FASTRACK schedules have been put up as follows, including 2 new additions

March 25th - 29th:  (4)  (5)  (6) Lexington Avenue Local (Grand Central - 125th Street both directions, all trains will run express in this section)

April 1st - 5th:  (J) Nassau Street (Essex Street - Broad Street)

April 8th - 12th:  (B)  (D) Grand Concourse (161st Street-Yankee Stadium - 205th Street)

April 15th - 19th:  (N)  (Q)  (R) Broadway (All Manhattan stations)

On the proper QBL FASTRACK, yes maybe not splitting the  (E), extending  (C) hours or running the  (Q) to Astoria, ending  (M)  (R) service so early etc is a bad idea, but this is the 1st time it's been done on the QBL section of line so it's really a learning curve for the MTA as the only real way they'll know how good or bad the effects on passengers will be is to try it and see, if it works out first time great, if not in some or all areas then they know to change things for next time! (although if it goes really bad there may not be a next time!) Only time will tell I suppose

Edited by superdrive1

Does anyone know why (M) service to/from Forest Hills end 1 hour early than (R) service to/from Forest Hills during Queen Blvd Fastrack?

maybe they want to slowly progress in loss of service from point a to point b. also to make sure the equipment is in right place for the  5 am rush. they probably need the time to do the arrangement before the track closed to traffic.that my theory..

maybe they want to slowly progress in loss of service from point a to point b. also to make sure the equipment is in right place for the  5 am rush. they probably need the time to do the arrangement before the track closed to traffic.that my theory..

Queens Blvd Line is always busy during rush hours. So therefore I agree with pjbr40. They need to complete the tasks before 5am or otherwise we got a big problem.

New FASTRACK schedules have been put up as follows, including 2 new additions

March 25th - 29th:  (4)  (5)  (6) Lexington Avenue Local (Grand Central - 125th Street both directions, all trains will run express in this section)

April 1st - 5th:  (J) Nassau Street (Essex Street - Broad Street)

April 8th - 12th:  (B)  (D) Grand Concourse (161st Street-Yankee Stadium - 205th Street)

April 15th - 19th:  (N)  (Q)  (R) Broadway (All Manhattan stations)

On the proper QBL FASTRACK, yes maybe not splitting the  (E), extending  (C) hours or running the  (Q) to Astoria, ending  (M)  (R) service so early etc is a bad idea, but this is the 1st time it's been done on the QBL section of line so it's really a learning curve for the MTA as the only real way they'll know how good or bad the effects on passengers will be is to try it and see, if it works out first time great, if not in some or all areas then they know to change things for next time! (although if it goes really bad there may not be a next time!) Only time will tell I suppose

I'm sure the MTA will send out uniformed crews at the affected stations to guide the confused passengers directing them to the buses offering alternatives. I'm sure they going to post signs that says "NO (E) TRAIN SERVICE AT THIS STATION USE (A) INSTEAD"

Are they extending the (Q) to Astoria during the QBL FASTRACK. It makes sense to do so.

Why? The Q already runs to Astoria until about a half hour before the R stops running in Manhattan/Queens. After 11:30, Q riders can transfer to the 7 at Times Square to reach Queens.

That's not a good idea in my opinion (having the A handle 8th Avenue alone that is). The C's hours should be extended until 1am. Yes, I get that FASTRACK is supposed to be done using already available options, not adding service, but having the A as the sole 8th Avenue service after 11 sounds like trouble waiting to happen. But I could be wrong. We'll have to see what happens next week.

In my experience, outside of rush hours, E trains are pretty empty south of 34th. North of 34th, the E and A/C serve entirely different markets. I doubt the A will be noticeably more crowded on these nights than it is any other night.

Will 7 service be increased? I'm not sure it's necessary, but the 7 seems more likely to be overburdened than anything else.

Will 7 service be increased? I'm not sure it's necessary, but the 7 seems more likely to be overburdened than anything else.

The MTA site mentions extra (7) service running until 2:30. Do you think there will be problems with 20 minute service from then until 5?

The MTA site mentions extra (7) service running until 2:30. Do you think there will be problems with 20 minute service from then until 5?

I hadn't seen that. Thanks. (I wonder if it's running the full route or if it's turning at 74th/Broadway.) I doubt there will be loading problems after 2:30.

The Lex Ave Fastrack is posted. M101 limited provides service.

Late Nights, 10 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Mar 25 - 29

4.png6.png trains run express between 125 St and Grand Central-42 St.
M101 LTD buses make nearby stops between 125 St and Grand Central-42 St.

• Transfer between trains and buses at 125 St, 86 St, 59 St or Grand Central-42 St.

Station
Downtown Bus Stop
Uptown Bus Stop

125 St  ADA_WhlChr_small.gif  4.png6.png
E 125 St at Lexington Av   
 —

116 St
Lexington Av at E 116 St
3 Av at E 116 St

110 St
Lexington Av at E 106 St
3 Av at E 106 St or E 116 St

103 St
Lexington Av at E 100 St
3 Av at E 106 St

96 St
Lexington Av at E 96 St
3 Av at E 96 St

86 St  4.png6.png
Lexington Av at E 86 St
3 Av at E 86 St

77 St
Lexington Av at E 79 St
3 Av at E 79 St

68 St
Lexington Av at E 68 St
3 Av at E 67 St

59 St  4.png6.png
Lexington Av at E 59 St
3 Av at E 60 St

51 St
Lexington Av at E 50 St
3 Av at E 50 St

Grand Central-42 St  ADA_WhlChr_small.gif  4.png6.png
 —
Lexington Av at E 43 St

This service change affects one or more ADA accessible stations. Please call 511 for help with planning
your trip. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, use your preferred relay service provider or the free 711 relay.  

There's epic fail on FastTrack Map PDF.

It goes into Nov 2012 version of service between Grand Central and Brooklyn on Lex Av lines I think.

Quite right it does! Maybe it's just a placeholder while they draw up the proper version, certainly one way to confuse passengers though in the meantime!

They posted it a bit earlier than I thought:

E.png No trains between Roosevelt Av and World Trade Center   F.png No trains between Roosevelt Av and 21 St-Queensbridge M.png R.png Service ends early 

Late Nights, 10 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Mar 18 - 22 

E.png service operates between Jamaica Center and Roosevelt Av, making local stops. 

F.png service operates in two sections: 

1. Between 179 St and Roosevelt Av 

2. Between 21 St-Queensbridge and Stillwell Av 

shuttle_bus.png buses operate between Roosevelt Av and Queensboro Plaza

stopping at 65 St, Northern Blvd, 46 St, Steinway St, 36 St and Queens Plaza. 

Seems reasonable. Interesting that the (F) will apparently operate express on the eastern side of the closure.

The nightmare of the century begins on March 18th 2013. Get ready for utter chaos. Even as it is late night the Queens Bound trains can get pretty crowded even at late night in my recent travels on  the QBL.  Right after a (7)  weekend GO to boot. Ouch!

Edited by realizm