FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will they eventually have trunk shutdown Fast Tracks that are 24/7 and not just 10pm-5am? 

Maybe not full trunks, but 24/7 shutdowns are the most efficient way to do work, whether it be out of face on 2/3 track lines or closing a couple tracks on 4 track lines with barricades to avoid flagging. Case in point: Chicago's Red Line South project, which started in May and is expected to reopen in two weeks.

The Queens Blvd FASTRACK is posted. Full closure, not just local/express.

Maybe not full trunks, but 24/7 shutdowns are the most efficient way to do work, whether it be out of face on 2/3 track lines or closing a couple tracks on 4 track lines with barricades to avoid flagging. Case in point: Chicago's Red Line South project, which started in May and is expected to reopen in two weeks.

The Queens Blvd FASTRACK is posted. Full closure, not just local/express.

Oh tha'ts like the last QB FasTrack.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack_EFMR.htm

the one thing that is odd about the QBL fasttrak is the (R). If they said they are ending the service early, they didnt mention to take the (4) to lower manhattan at all. i wonder how dumb will these commuter will be?(sorry, i am avid fan of Match Game from the 60's and 70's when they used " Dumb donald is so dumb?" then everybody shout out"how dumb is he?")

I wonder why they won't ever do Roosevelt-Continental. That's when they should do this work they're doing this weekend with one express track out, three services on the local, with flagging on the adjacent tracks. (now increased to the span of two stations), plus all the other little work they're doing here and there, plus a major signal project coming up.

It would be easier to replace that section with the buses (just straight down Broadway and Queens Blvd).

I wonder why they won't ever do Roosevelt-Continental. That's when they should do this work they're doing this weekend with one express track out, three services on the local, with flagging on the adjacent tracks. (now increased to the span of two stations), plus all the other little work they're doing here and there, plus a major signal project coming up.

It would be easier to replace that section with the buses (just straight down Broadway and Queens Blvd).

They will eventually.

I'd rather them shut the line down and get it over with , than to sit on trains going 5MPH with many stationary moments

Whats this major signal project coming up? is that to get ready for CBTC?

They will eventually.

I wonder how they'll handle that. Local Shuttle buses and telling thru riders to use the (J) between Jamaica and Manhattan? 

For a Queens Blvd East shutdown, I would do this.

(R)(M) ends early
(E)(F) turn at Roosevelt: run the (E) every 20min from 10pm onwards and the (F) local if Roosevelt can't turn them both.

(F) shuttle train Sutphin to 179th.

Local bus: Roosevelt (E)(F), all stops to Union Tpk.
Express bus: Roosevelt (E)(F), Woodhaven, Forest Hills, Union Tpk, Briarwood-Van Wyck, Sutphin (F), Sutphin (J), Jamaica Center (J)
Extra Q44 service until midnight

Edited by Amtrak7

(R)(M) ends early

(E)(F) turn at Roosevelt: run the (E) every 20min from 10pm onwards and the (F) local if Roosevelt can't turn them both.

Express bus: Roosevelt (E)(F), Woodhaven, Forest Hills, Union Tpk, Briarwood-Van Wyck, Sutphin (F), Sutphin (J), Jamaica Center (J)

I would also make the (J) run every 6 to 8 minutes during this time until midnight. The MTA should allow a free walking tranfer from the (J) to buses at 165 St terminal during this time.

Edited by j express

(R)(M) ends early

What do you think of a (J) 57th Street - Jamaica Center?  Or maybe a (Z) full Broadway express. (I know the idea of a Fastrack is not to disrupt the rest of the subway) But the (E) and (F) are still well patronized until about 1am. Currently the (7) has the capacity for the existing fastrack, but an Eastern("northern") QB shut down may be too much for bustitution. 

What do you think of a (J) 57th Street - Jamaica Center?  Or maybe a (Z) full Broadway express. (I know the idea of a Fastrack is not to disrupt the rest of the subway) But the (E) and (F) are still well patronized until about 1am. Currently the (7) has the capacity for the existing fastrack, but an Eastern("northern") QB shut down may be too much for bustitution. 

Not going to work, too convoluted and takes too long. If any supplemental service is to be provided besides shuttle buses I would say LIRR shuttle trains.

The (J) to 57 St/6 Av is a Wallyhorse idea. People would get confused.

Not going to work, too convoluted and takes too long. If any supplemental service is to be provided besides shuttle buses I would say LIRR shuttle trains.

The L.I.R.R is expensive and cost more than the subway?

The L.I.R.R is expensive and cost more than the subway?

Cross-honor (which for MetroCards basically means ride for free) until midnight. There's actually no need to run extra shuttle trains, just have all trains make Forest Hills/Kew Gardens/Woodside stops.

To save money, don't cross honor beyond that. There's actually large gaps in service once you get past 1:30am so definitely don't go past that point.

Edited by Amtrak7

Cross-honor (which for MetroCards basically means ride for free) until midnight. There's actually no need to run extra shuttle trains, just have all trains make Forest Hills/Kew Gardens/Woodside stops.

Good idea. I know that using the (J) requires a tranfer coming from Midtown. The (J) is long but it can help a bit.