FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere, but for the first time today I heard an automated announcement about Fasttrack on the (6). I guess this program is around to stay for a while

Fastrack isn't going anywhere. There's going to be one almost every single week in 2014. I'm sure the MTA website will brag about exactly how many lightbulbs they replaced this year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In December the first week (dec2 to 6) there no (F) train from west 4 street to Jay street. this will be interesting

The (F) will mostly likely run via Cranberry between West 4 St and Jay St in both directions during that fastrack

What about the (D)? Unless the focus is just the Rutgers Tunnel

So for this upcoming QB fast track how do they decide which crews do which end of the (F) split? Also, the (E) is cut short. Roosevelt to Jamaica Center. dot hey just concentrate the crews to run more frequent service but with the same number of train's & crews because of the short  turn?

With most of these fastrack supplements, they don't even take into consideration which end you normally finish at. If you're at the wrong end when the GO goes into effect, you'll still make your regular interval and then get turned.

Thank god I managed to get an AM job next year........

nah it wont happen that way. the (F) will go on it own6 ave. route between west 4 Street and roosevelt ave.  the (A)(C)(E) will be on it regular routes. if you read on fasttrak schedule board it going to be between broadway and jay street. this is where the (F) can detour. The (C) will probably end earlier to make room or (C) will go express in manhattan between 59 street and chamber street. then local in brooklyn. who know we will see what on their mind. 

I think it's more likely that the (C) would go express after 42nd st. so that 50th and 59th is not a chore to travel between. But the (C) ends around 10 anyway so they probably wouldn't have to alter much.

No switches exist south of 42nd to allow the (C) do so... it would run express after 59th....

Edited by Obito

Hopefully the Queens Blvd FastTrack will have no effect on the hours/frequency of the Brooklyn R service (Court St to 95th St) this week.  Waiting for the R shuttle at 36th St is every Bay Ridge resident's worst nightmare: it can easily add 45 minutes to a commute (20 minutes to wait for a delayed D or N, then just missing an R, followed by 20 to 25 minutes for the following R shuttle).

Edited by RtrainBlues

Hopefully the Queens Blvd FastTrack will have no effect on the hours/frequency of the Brooklyn R service (Court St to 95th St) this week.  Waiting for the R shuttle at 36th St is every Bay Ridge resident's worst nightmare: it can easily add 45 minutes to a commute (20 minutes to wait for a delayed D or N, then just missing an R, followed by 20 to 25 minutes for the following R shuttle).

The Brooklyn section of the (R) will not be affected by the Queens Blvd Fastrack.

That's wonderful news - now I won't have to rush home by 10pm every night. 

Without the split service caused by Hurricane Sandy, Bay Ridge riders would have had to suffer massive delays with the 20 minute headway 36th-95th shuttle between 10pm and midnight, like they did during the previous Queens Blvd FastTracks.  It was not pretty taking almost 2 hours to get home at 10:30pm - long waits for the local N, then another 20 minute wait for an R shuttle.  It's just unfair that every time there was something going on in Queens, it would cause massive inconvenience to Bay Ridge riders.

What do you think of a (J) 57th Street - Jamaica Center?  Or maybe a (Z) full Broadway express. (I know the idea of a Fastrack is not to disrupt the rest of the subway) But the (E) and (F) are still well patronized until about 1am. Currently the (7) has the capacity for the existing fastrack, but an Eastern("northern") QB shut down may be too much for bustitution. 

That could be done a lot easier by simply extending the (M) to 57th Street OR Columbus Circle (alternating trains) at all times during such a fasttrack, also running the (M) at a much higher frequency to accommodate the (E) riders, in this case with a same platform transfer to the (M) from the (J) anywhere between Myrtle and Essex.

That could be done a lot easier by simply extending the (M) to 57th Street OR Columbus Circle (alternating trains) at all times during such a fasttrack, also running the (M) at a much higher frequency to accommodate the (E) riders, in this case with a same platform transfer to the (M) from the (J) anywhere between Myrtle and Essex.

That doesn't make sense

I finally experienced the Queens Blvd Fastrack. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I Took the (7) to 74th st, and went down stairs.

The Jamaica bound (E) leaves from the Jamaica bound express track and goes local. 

The Jamaica bound (F) leaves from the Manhattan bound express track and goes express. 

The Roosevelt Ave (E) comes in on the Manhattan bound local track, "fumigates", then it it continues "southbound" switches to the express track, changes ends and pulls in on the Jamaica bound Express track.

The (F) treats the Manhattan bound express track as a stub terminal.

The trains were in and out. I first went down to the Jamaica bound platform and was greeted to a full (E) train with the doors already closed then it started to head out, then I saw the (F) on the other side so I ran up and over, and it started pulling away. Basically the (E) and (F) can pull out at the simultaneously.

While that was happening, a Roosevelt (E) pulled in dropped off passengers, pulled off, the C/O announcement about taking the (7) to Manhattan then pulled off. a few mins later, the (E) came in on the other side, and a (F) came in ready to head right back out in a couple of mins.

Maybe it's smoother since this is the 3rd(?) QB Fastrack, from the Fastrack map I thought both (E) 's  and (F) 's were going local, and that there might be a conga line to switch ends, but it was a smooth operation.  

My bus was late so I didn't miss it like I'd originally thought, so it was a nice trip home.