FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

(Q) service is rerouted to the (F) after 57 st-7 av, making stops at lexington av/63 st, roosevelt island and 21 st-queensbridge, the last stop. The (F) will not be running to those stations at that time and although not yet noted on the (MTA) site, the (F) is expected to run via 53rd street and 8th avenue with the (E).

Just like back in the day. (Q6Av) or (cool.png to 21st Street/Queensbridge, except now it is running with the (Q).

I don't remember the last time those tracks were used except for when there was the (N) ® reroute. I wish I could be there it is going to be so hype.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just like back in the day. (Q6Av) or (cool.png to 21st Street/Queensbridge, except now it is running with the (Q).

I don't remember the last time those tracks were used except for when there was the (N) ® reroute. I wish I could be there it is going to be so hype.

Well ®'s are rerouted every now and again when there are problems with the tube, 60th st stations or at Queens Plaza.

According to several reports, FASTRACK seems to be more efficient than the normal weekend track work, since track workers can get a lot more done and not have to worry about any passenger subway trains (maybe one or two work trains). In addition, FASTRACK has been taking place where there is other subway service available. Example: In Midtown and Lower Manhattan there are a toal of 5 different lines (8th Ave IND, 7th Ave. IRT, 6th Ave IND, Broadway BMT and Lex. Ave. IRT). Therefore, if they shut one of them down for four nights straight, compared to 4 weekends in a row, IMHO, it is not a big deal.

Yeah... But Standard Weekend, Midday and Late Night General orders still are active. How long before we will see those go byebye? Or maybe never...

I always wondered the same thing. I don't remember all these G.Os in the 90s, then around 01 or 02 until now the subway always has all these G.O's.

Exception of one G.O when the (4) ended at Atlantic midday's for a brief period, back in the 62/Redbird days. :eek:

I think that in a 4 tracks subway system at least 1 track must be open 24 hours !!!

Yeah... Maybe the 42nd street Shuttle, but along normal routes, i don't think so...

The ONLY thing I can thing of that could allow Subway service to continue, is if they had 2 trackways open (Local / Express), and the track one would wrong rail on the Exp track. the 2 side tracks would be out of service. But this won't happen, because the MTA prefers to fix up the entire 4 tracks.

I always wondered the same thing. I don't remember all these G.Os in the 90s, then around 01 or 02 until now the subway always has all these G.O's.

Exception of one G.O when the (4) ended at Atlantic midday's for a brief period, back in the 62/Redbird days. :eek:

Yes thank g-d that G.O they usually only do when really necessary.

One of the things to keep in mind about the subways over the years, has been the change in the ways and times that majorities of people use the subways. In the 1960's-70's-80's and before that - more than half of the ridership rode the subways during the RUSH HOURS. After the rush hours were over there were sharp declines in ridership. What this meant was that fewer people were affected by G.O.'s and other diversions of subway traffic.

These days the subways are not only heavily used during the rush hours, but also heavily used at other times of the day, nights and weekends. This means that G.O.'s that used to affect fewer riders, now affect MANY riders.

Thus maintenance work that used to take place on weekends and during the evenings competes with the larger number of riders who simply want to get to their destinations.

The FAST-TRACK program is really only useful in midtown Manhattan were many of the subway lines are sort of parallel to each other, making alternative travel easier for some riders. The FAST-Track style of maintenance and repair is really not useful in the other boroughs because many riders would have great difficulty with the few alternative travel methods available. The subway lines become widely disbursed, and none are really parallel to the others - except over great distances.

Just think about the hassles of getting around when there is a subway outage in the Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens - major numbers of people are affected. In many cases the street-level bus network is simply not capable of handling the crowds, or in providing timely swift transit.

Just some thoughts to keep in mind.

Mike

I wish they would do it on the (J)(M), because of all the work they're doing all over those lines, squeezed into middays and weekends, under traffic.

It's like they must have let the whole line fall into disrepair for years, and now they ave to fix it all up at once.

Do you mean the Manhattan or Queens portion? And where would the shutdown be? And what would be the alternate service?

The Brooklyn portion, and there would be shuttle buses. (they have never cared about replacing the service anyway, jut like on the (L) now. And if it gets all the work out of the way, it would be better in the long run).

If you mean to run Fastrack at night for 4 nights, I don't think it is going to work out as great as it does in Manhattan simply because it's an elevated line. Unless it is an emergency, I don't believe the residents would be thrilled to have such inconvenience during the nighttime.

There's less traffic at night, so shuttle buses would be quicker and less of a slowdown. Also, I don't see why elevated should make a difference.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no lighting system of any kind on the El lines, thus how the work is going to be done, if the workers wont be able to see? Additionaly I can't get anything from top of my head when major non emergency work like replacement of tracks was done during night hours on the elevated line.