FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So no 1,2, 3 train for this whole week night, isn't it?

I need to get from Brooklyn College(2,5) to penn station ( 10 30 pm). So does this mean the 5 will run at night(usually only the 2 runs on that route late night)?

I'm sorry for such a naive question:o

Yes, the (5) is running at night this week.

The trip from Brooklyn College to Penn Station under the current #1-2-3 Fast-Track program - has a very simple travel alternative.

This travel alternative involves the #2 or #5 in Brooklyn, and the Q-train. Simply change at the Atlantic Avenue - Pacific Street station between the #2 or #5 trains, and the Q-train. This alternative works for either direction - going to Manhattan or traveling back to Queens.

Take the Q-train to 34th Street-Herald Square, and walk along 33rd or 34th Streets one block (from Sixth Avenue to Seventh Avenue), and enter Penn Station.

The current Westside Fast-Track on the #1, #2 and #3 lines actually has some of the easiest alternative routes, compared to the other Fast-Track programs.

Mike

One problem with running a Fast-Track operation in the "outer boroughs" on the elevated lines and subways - besides the fact that there are often few nearby subway lines - is that shuttle buses cost money. A subway train needs a train operator and conductor, while each shuttle bus requires a driver. A bus can accommodate about 65 riders, while a single subway car can hold about 175 people crush loaded. Multiple numbers of buses will be needed to handle the amount of riders that a single train handles. Meaning that the cost goes way up in trying to provide alternative travel.

It is a quiet secret of the current Fast Track programs - that basically no (to very little) additional spending is required. The riders diverted to the "other train lines" are simply using trains and personnel that would have been provided anyway. Even extending for example the #4 or #5 to service Brooklyn all night long for this effort - is simply using train crews that are working their regular hours. That is one reason - the secret reason - why this program is limited to midtown Manhattan - it keeps the costs down.

Attempting to run such a program on the elevated lines or subways at night would drive the costs way upward.

Mike

No problem! Just check on planned service changes on mta.info and you'll find all the info you need there..

Yes, I did check the mta changes but nothing was mentioned about the 5 train from flatbush avenue/brooklyn college to atlantic avenue . so I was wondering if the 5 train would run or the shuttle buses would run(or may be i missed it)

Thanks again.

One problem with running a Fast-Track operation in the "outer boroughs" on the elevated lines and subways - besides the fact that there are often few nearby subway lines - is that shuttle buses cost money. A subway train needs a train operator and conductor, while each shuttle bus requires a driver. A bus can accommodate about 65 riders, while a single subway car can hold about 175 people crush loaded. Multiple numbers of buses will be needed to handle the amount of riders that a single train handles. Meaning that the cost goes way up in trying to provide alternative travel.

It is a quiet secret of the current Fast Track programs - that basically no (to very little) additional spending is required. The riders diverted to the "other train lines" are simply using trains and personnel that would have been provided anyway. Even extending for example the #4 or #5 to service Brooklyn all night long for this effort - is simply using train crews that are working their regular hours. That is one reason - the secret reason - why this program is limited to midtown Manhattan - it keeps the costs down.

Attempting to run such a program on the elevated lines or subways at night would drive the costs way upward.

Mike

I agree, but don't they spend more money by running both the (2) and the (5) into Manhattan? Normally the latter would be a shuttle requiring only 2 T/Os, I believe, but now it requires more..

The trip from Brooklyn College to Penn Station under the current #1-2-3 Fast-Track program - has a very simple travel alternative.

This travel alternative involves the #2 or #5 in Brooklyn, and the Q-train. Simply change at the Atlantic Avenue - Pacific Street station between the #2 or #5 trains, and the Q-train. This alternative works for either direction - going to Manhattan or traveling back to Queens.

Take the Q-train to 34th Street-Herald Square, and walk along 33rd or 34th Streets one block (from Sixth Avenue to Seventh Avenue), and enter Penn Station.

The current Westside Fast-Track on the #1, #2 and #3 lines actually has some of the easiest alternative routes, compared to the other Fast-Track programs.

Mike

Yes the Q train is a good alternative. Thanks. I forgot about that route because I usually sit in the 2 train right until penn station.

But the Q train would require me to get out of the station and walk 1 block and at 11 PM, I'm not sure how safe that is!! But, atleast for this week - i am open to trying this alternative.

Also, since the 5 is going to run late night, I won't have any issues I believe - I will transfer to the 2 at Nevins street(uptown)

Yes, I did check the mta changes but nothing was mentioned about the 5 train from flatbush avenue/brooklyn college to atlantic avenue . so I was wondering if the 5 train would run or the shuttle buses would run(or may be i missed it)

Thanks again.

The (5) train is supposed to run to Flatbush Ave every night this week. The (4) and (5) are replacing the (2) and (3) from Atlantic Ave - Flatbush Ave and New Lots Ave.

Yes the Q train is a good alternative. Thanks. I forgot about that route because I usually sit in the 2 train right until penn station.

But the Q train would require me to get out of the station and walk 1 block and at 11 PM, I'm not sure how safe that is!! But, atleast for this week - i am open to trying this alternative.

Also, since the 5 is going to run late night, I won't have any issues I believe - I will transfer to the 2 at Nevins street(uptown)

There is no (2) train service at Nevins at this time..

I agree, but don't they spend more money by running both the (2) and the (5) into Manhattan? Normally the latter would be a shuttle requiring only 2 T/Os, I believe, but now it requires more..

The (2) train Crews will be running the (5) trains. Since the 7th ave line is cut short, they're probably breaking even with the amount of trains/crews needed. the "(5)" Trains will really be (2)'s running on the Lex. They're going from Woodlawn to Flatbush Ave. The "(2)'s" are running from Dyre Ave to Penn Station. They could use (1) and (5) crews for that.

The area is fine at night. There is no (2) train service between Penn station and Flatbush Ave. After 10PM.

If you don't want to walk that block, you could :

-Take the (B44) to the Nostrand Ave (A) train Station to Penn Satation.

-Take the (B41) to the Jay Street-Metrotech (A)/ (F) station, take the (A) to Penn Station

-Take the (5) to Atlantic, ® to to Metroech, (A) to Penn Station

-Take the (5) to Grand Central, (S) to Times Square, (1) or (2) to Penn Station.

It's far easier/quicker to just take the (Q) to Herald Square.

-Take the (B41) to the Jay Street-Metrotech (A)/ (F) station, take the (A) to Penn Station

-Take the (5) to Grand Central, (S) to Times Square, (1) or (2) to Penn Station.

That was awesome, thank you smile.png

It looks like the picture is almost complete.

New GO's posted on the site show the (cool.png and (M) ending early, with the (M) GO containing a note that the (F) runs via the (E) from Jackson Hts to W4th.

Now that all the 6 Av trains are accounted for, let's see if there are any stray GO's thrown in there as part of the project (like how the (2) FASTRACK also involved flip flopping in the Bronx)

A little reminder to some of you forum members who travel along the 6th Avenue Line late at night. In less than 2 weeks from now, FASTRACK will be affecting the (cool.png(D)(F)(M) Train lines between 59th Street-Columbus Circle or 57th St (6th Avenue) or 5th Av-53rd St and W 4th St-Washington Square in 4 different ways:

- (cool.png Train service ends early (last train to Brighton Beach leaves 145th St at 9:34 PM, & last train to 145th St leaves Brighton Beach at 9:09 PM.)

- (D) Train service runs in 2 different sections: 1. Between Norwood-205th St, Bronx, and 59th St-Columbus Circle making all (cool.png Train stops. 2. Between Atlantic Av-Pacific St and Coney Island-Stillwell Av making express stops along the 4th Avenue segment.

- (F) Train service run along the (E) Train line between Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Av, Queens, and W 4th St-Washington Square, Manhattan in both directions.

- (M) Train service to/from Manhattan ends early (last train to Middle Village-Metropolitan Av leaves Forest Hills-71st Av at 9:26 PM, and last train to Forest Hills-71st Av leaves Middle Village-Metropolitan Av at 9:19 PM.)

Thank You!:tup:

- (D) Train service runs in 2 different sections: 1. Between Norwood-205th St, Bronx, and 59th St-Columbus Circle making all (cool.png Train stops. 2. Between Atlantic Av-Pacific St and Coney Island-Stillwell Av making express stops along the 4th Avenue segment.

This is incorrect: according to the MTA, the (D) will be running via the © from 59 St to West 4th St. However I have no idea what the (D) does after that. Two sections splitting at Broadway-Lafayette maybe?

Also, the (Q) is running via the (F) to 21 St - Queensbridge.

It looks like the picture is almost complete.

New GO's posted on the site show the (cool.png and (M) ending early, with the (M) GO containing a note that the (F) runs via the (E) from Jackson Hts to W4th.

Now that all the 6 Av trains are accounted for, let's see if there are any stray GO's thrown in there as part of the project (like how the (2) FASTRACK also involved flip flopping in the Bronx)

(D) will have to split at B'way-Laf since the MTA says it runs via 8 Av Lcl. Time to reinstall that switch...

The only, place I can ever see FASTTRACK outside of Manhattan is the Concourse line.

Maybe a bit in South Brooklyn and the UWS. I'm assuming you mean the Jerome Line as well.

The only, place I can ever see FASTTRACK outside of Manhattan is the Concourse line.

(D) will have to split at B'way-Laf since the MTA says it runs via 8 Av Lcl. Time to reinstall that switch...

Maybe a bit in South Brooklyn and the UWS. I'm assuming you mean the Jerome Line as well.

I can see FastTrack for:

-The Concourse line weeknight FastTrack.

-The Jerome Ave line with an all weekend FastTrack or just weekend Daytime Fast Track.

-Maybe Upper West Side, CPW Broadway lines

- Brighton, Nostrand, Culver Lines (possibly)

The (2) train Crews will be running the (5) trains. Since the 7th ave line is cut short, they're probably breaking even with the amount of trains/crews needed. the "(5)" Trains will really be (2)'s running on the Lex. They're going from Woodlawn to Flatbush Ave. The "(2)'s" are running from Dyre Ave to Penn Station. They could use (1) and (5) crews for that.

The area is fine at night. There is no (2) train service between Penn station and Flatbush Ave. After 10PM.

Remember the ® is not running between appx. 1130pm-5am so it's the (N) running via the Tunnel.

I can see FastTrack for:

-The Concourse line weeknight FastTrack.

-The Jerome Ave line with an all weekend FastTrack or just weekend Daytime Fast Track.

-Maybe Upper West Side, CPW Broadway lines

- Brighton, Nostrand, Culver Lines (possibly)

Most of the Brighton Line underwent a huge rehabilitation for 3 years, so I doubt that line will need FASTRACK if the (MTA) maybe even considers doing the program in Brooklyn.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Remember the ® is not running between appx. 1130pm-5am so it's the (N) running via the Tunnel.

Thanks I forgot to mention the (N). The OP wanted to get to Penn station around 10:30pm though.

Most of the Brighton underwent a huge rehabilitation for 3 years, so I doubt that line will need FASTRACK if the (MTA) maybe even considers doing the program in Brooklyn.

That's true, I only took into account lines close enough and parallel where they could possibly used as alternatives. For instance, if they did the Culver, the Brighton could be used as an alternative, especially for those who get on the bus anyway.