FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

I can see FastTrack for:

-The Concourse line weeknight FastTrack.

-Maybe Upper West Side, CPW Broadway lines

These I definitely see in the future. The (A) and (1) are close enough.

-The Jerome Ave line with an all weekend FastTrack or just weekend Daytime Fast Track.

This has happened before, although not for a few years now.

- Brighton, Nostrand, Culver Lines (possibly)

Culver is an el so they can't do it. Brighton just underwent a rehab. Nostrand-what's the alternate?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Culver is an el so they can't do it. Brighton just underwent a rehab. Nostrand-what's the alternate?

Why wouldn't fastrack work on an EL? I'm sure Fastrak is not only meant for tunnels only.

For the Nostrands, you have the bus as an alternative, and shuttle bus service. There have been G/Os in the past with Nostrand service suspended. (2) to Utica as well.

Yes the Q train is a good alternative. Thanks. I forgot about that route because I usually sit in the 2 train right until penn station.

But the Q train would require me to get out of the station and walk 1 block and at 11 PM, I'm not sure how safe that is!! But, atleast for this week - i am open to trying this alternative.

Also, since the 5 is going to run late night, I won't have any issues I believe - I will transfer to the 2 at Nevins street(uptown)

Also, if you're not comfortable with switching at Atlantic-Pacific (and you also have the option there of going to the (N)/® platform there), you can also switch to the (N)/® at 14th Street and take that as Mike noted. Another option would be at 14th Street to take the (L) to the end of the line at 8th Avenue and switch there for the (A)/©/ (E), which goes directly to Penn Station, albeit the other end.

FASTTRACK was meant for subways, not for elevateds, in which work (except emergencies) is not supposed to take place outdoors after 1800 hours. That's why there will never be a program for the Jerome line, or any other elevated line. The Concourse is underground in the Bronx, so of course it could be done there. The south Brooklyn lines (Brighton/Culver/Sea Beach/West End) are also outdoors, so it can't be done out there, but the Sea Beach and West End are unique that they both begin and end at the same place, so half of each line can be shut down (as is frequently done anyways).

The CPW is not that good for a FASTTRACK even though they are only a couple of blocks apart for this reason - its difficult to turn trains on the northern end (the southern end is no picnic either). The same goes for the upper 7Av/Broadway. However, the stretch of the (A) and (1) from 168-207 is possible.

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no lighting system of any kind on the El lines, thus how the work is going to be done, if the workers wont be able to see? Additionaly I can't get anything from top of my head when major non emergency work like replacement of tracks was done during night hours on the elevated line.

Even underground, they use additional lighting (the five-bulb "bank lights", and in some places, strings of shortly spaced CFL's). They can do this on the el, as well (they would be strung along the catwalk railing).

One problem with running a Fast-Track operation in the "outer boroughs" on the elevated lines and subways - besides the fact that there are often few nearby subway lines - is that shuttle buses cost money. A subway train needs a train operator and conductor, while each shuttle bus requires a driver. A bus can accommodate about 65 riders, while a single subway car can hold about 175 people crush loaded. Multiple numbers of buses will be needed to handle the amount of riders that a single train handles. Meaning that the cost goes way up in trying to provide alternative travel.

It is a quiet secret of the current Fast Track programs - that basically no (to very little) additional spending is required. The riders diverted to the "other train lines" are simply using trains and personnel that would have been provided anyway. Even extending for example the #4 or #5 to service Brooklyn all night long for this effort - is simply using train crews that are working their regular hours. That is one reason - the secret reason - why this program is limited to midtown Manhattan - it keeps the costs down.

Attempting to run such a program on the elevated lines or subways at night would drive the costs way upward.

Mike

I understand all of this, but I was wishing they could make an exception on the (J)(M) because of all the little work they are doing in various places. (I guess the Manhattan portion of the (M) will help, since there's often work there slowing you down, after you've already been delayed in the elevated portion.

FASTTRACK was meant for subways, not for elevateds, in which work (except emergencies) is not supposed to take place outdoors after 1800 hours. That's why there will never be a program for the Jerome line, or any other elevated line. The Concourse is underground in the Bronx, so of course it could be done there.
I think one of the reasons there's supposed to be no work outdoors at night, is because trains have to blow the horns (which is not allowed at night), but with FASTRACK, there would be no trains running, which is the point.

Even if it wasn't for the horn thing and trains don't run, work isn't supposed to be done at night for light pollution reasons, the sounds of work being done, etc. When they were doing overnight work at Kings Hwy Brighton, Midwood had a cow, but they're excuse was they were working down in the bowels of the station, although they had that big strobe light up that made the area around the station as bright as midday. Even in other outdoor weekend GO's where trains didn't run at all (I remember GOs where (6) only ran to Parkchester, the piece up to Pelham replaced by shuttle bus), work started bright an early at 6AM, but ended promptly by 6PM.

FASTTRACK was meant for subways, not for elevateds, in which work (except emergencies) is not supposed to take place outdoors after 1800 hours. That's why there will never be a program for the Jerome line, or any other elevated line.

Thanks for the clarification-I thought the restriction on night work applied to elevateds only, not for all outdoor lines.

Anyway, the MTA released their 6 Av FASTRACK map:

http://advisory.mtan...ASTRACK_map.pdf

(D) runs in 2 sections, 2 Av and Whitehall St. Buses run Grand St-Canal St-Bway Lafayette, and 21 St-Queens Plaza (omitted for some reason, see MTA online GO)

But the (3) isn't running at night, and that's not shown! And the (D) is shown as an 8 Av express, not local...

(D) runs in 2 sections, 2 Av and Whitehall St. Buses run Grand St-Canal St-Bway Lafayette, and 21 St-Queens Plaza (omitted for some reason, see MTA online GO)

But the (3) isn't running at night, and that's not shown! And the (D) is shown as an 8 Av express, not local...

The (3) runs until 12:30 AM, so it is shown. The (D) is shown as 8 Av Local: where do you see express?

The (Q) just north of 57th is hideous: they seriously couldn't have drawn what the line actually looks like?

And the (D)-south should at least run to Midtown. 42nd maybe?

Thanks for the clarification-I thought the restriction on night work applied to elevateds only, not for all outdoor lines.

Anyway, the MTA released their 6 Av FASTRACK map:

http://advisory.mtan...ASTRACK_map.pdf

Also found the 6ave - Fast track poster if anyone's interested

FxCam_1329437777856.jpg picture by MrRailfan - Photobucket

Even if it wasn't for the horn thing and trains don't run, work isn't supposed to be done at night for light pollution reasons, the sounds of work being done, etc. When they were doing overnight work at Kings Hwy Brighton, Midwood had a cow, but they're excuse was they were working down in the bowels of the station, although they had that big strobe light up that made the area around the station as bright as midday. Even in other outdoor weekend GO's where trains didn't run at all (I remember GOs where (6) only ran to Parkchester, the piece up to Pelham replaced by shuttle bus), work started bright an early at 6AM, but ended promptly by 6PM.
I guess they should have an all weekend version of FASTRACK for those lines, then. I know with the track replacements at Hewes and Lorimer a few weeks ago, they really needed to shut the whole thing down. It was horrible, as regular 10 min. intervals (or even the modified 12min. they came out with later) are just not enough time to move and place those track panels!

The (3) runs until 12:30 AM, so it is shown. The (D) is shown as 8 Av Local: where do you see express?

The (Q) just north of 57th is hideous: they seriously couldn't have drawn what the line actually looks like?

And the (D)-south should at least run to Midtown. 42nd maybe?

The (D) is 8Av local to W4th, then downstairs where it will terminate at 2Av. Remember by this time the © would have stopped running. You will have the (D)(E)(F) all on 8Av from 42-W4 in both directions. (D) goes back on 6Av afterwards (its not shown to confuse people into thinking it can get to Grand St from W4) to terminate at 2Av, along with the (F) going back to its normal route. There will be a few (A) still on the express track on 8Av after 10pm.

For the photo ops people here are the hot spots:

(D) at Whitehall/Court/Jay (very rare)

(D) at 2Av (rare)

(F) anywhere along 8Av (rare)

(A) and (D) on 3 and 1 tracks respectively below 59th-CC (very rare).

The (D) is 8Av local to W4th, then downstairs where it will terminate at 2Av. Remember by this time the © would have stopped running. You will have the (D)(E)(F) all on 8Av from 42-W4 in both directions. (D) goes back on 6Av afterwards (its not shown to confuse people into thinking it can get to Grand St from W4) to terminate at 2Av, along with the (F) going back to its normal route. There will be a few (A) still on the express track on 8Av after 10pm.

For the photo ops people here are the hot spots:

(D) at Whitehall/Court/Jay (very rare)

(D) at 2Av (rare)

(F) anywhere along 8Av (rare)

(A) and (D) on 3 and 1 tracks respectively below 59th-CC (very rare).

I actually got a video of that at 50 St a while back from when the (D) was split up (205-2 Av via 8av, W 4-CI)...it was one of those weeknight G.Os

I would post the video, buti can't on this phone

I don't understand why send the (D) to Whitehall Street via Montague Tunnel, instead of having it end at 42nd Street via Bridge............ If its because of the (Q) coming out of 21st Street, so what? Have it switch to the Local at 57th Street, and back to the Express at Prince St. Instead of having (D) customers use alternative connection between Brooklyn & Manhattan.

Not just a few (A)... the (A) will be running express all night. Similarly, the last few © run express after 10 south of 59th.

North of 59th:

Express: (A) Local: © (D)

South of 59th:

Express: (A)© Local: (D)(E)(F)

My assumption was that they meant 42nd on the Broadway line.

Oh yeah true, I understand just bringing it up there, leaving a transfer just a walk through that loong corridor. Yep, would get in the way of the (Q) and would have to be relayed (remember, could always swap for the (Q) at Dekalb or (A)(F) at Jay). Can't have a service terminating at a spot where other revenue services are going straight through up the same track (although it's done at Parkchester). The only other way would be to have a (D) go all the way up to Queensbridge (ain't that a sight) and leave the (Q) in Astoria all night.

Oh yeah true, I understand just bringing it up there, leaving a transfer just a walk through that loong corridor. Yep, would get in the way of the (Q) and would have to be relayed (remember, could always swap for the (Q) at Dekalb or (A)(F) at Jay). Can't have a service terminating at a spot where other revenue services are going straight through up the same track (although it's done at Parkchester). The only other way would be to have a (D) go all the way up to Queensbridge (ain't that a sight) and leave the (Q) in Astoria all night.

A (D) train in revenue service in Queens. Yes, that would be a real sight. But then some other train would have to replace the (D) in Upper Manhattan and the Bronx.

I guess they should have an all weekend version of FASTRACK for those lines, then. I know with the track replacements at Hewes and Lorimer a few weeks ago, they really needed to shut the whole thing down. It was horrible, as regular 10 min. intervals (or even the modified 12min. they came out with later) are just not enough time to move and place those track panels!

They haven't bused any part of the (J) west of Bway Jct in a few years now. The last time they did so was between Myrtle and Bway and involved sending the (J) up to Metropolitan. Full weekend shutdowns of multitrack elevated segments are rare, they haven't done the (4) Jerome Ave in a few years either.

Work time comparison:

FASTRACK 7 hrs x 4 nights = 28 hrs

Weekend = 53 hrs

With nearly twice the time, why does it appear that less work gets done on the weekend than the overnights?

Work time comparison:

FASTRACK 7 hrs x 4 nights = 28 hrs

Weekend = 53 hrs

With nearly twice the time, why does it appear that less work gets done on the weekend than the overnights?

More workers, no trains?

BTW did all (1) and (2) trains use the Middle Platform at 34th street as the terminal during Fasttrack?

Edited by Harry