It’s Metro-‘West’ Penn Station plan for commuter rail

mark1447

The $7 billion plan to bring the LIRR into Grand Central might relieve crowding at Penn Station by so much that Metro-North service will finally be expanded to the West Side of Manhattan.

Plans to bring Metro-North trains directly into Penn Station have been kicking around for decades, but officials are making a renewed push because of the East Side Access project.

That project -- which will bring the Long Island Rail Road into Grand Central Terminal as early as 2016 -- is expected to severely ease overcrowding at Penn Station, potentially freeing up room for Metro-North trains.

The MTA has begun a federal environmental assessment to study bringing the Hudson and New Haven lines to Penn Station on existing tracks and adding four Metro-North stations in The Bronx, according to the MTA.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/it_metro_west_BdL7aAo5EDvetrUXdm4DUO#ixzz1dWMdKLdA

The two stations for the Hudson River Line would be 125th Street and 62nd Street. (Got it off some place, forgot where)

I've heard more about Metro-North using Hell Gate's Bridge than the West Side line, but seeing they've recieved support is a step in the right direction.

West Side has been in the table for a few years (or if not more). It would use the current Amtraks Empire Corridor to head to Penn. (Since Hudson line has no direct access to Hell Gate/NEC).

Empire Corridor is all diesel and that Inwood Bridge is single track. That bridge would have to be replaced. As for the West Side itself, there is no 3rd Rail. So ether the MTA would have to work with Amtrak to install them, or send only Diesel trains (Such as the Genesis) thru the West Side.

West Side has been in the table for a few years (or if not more). It would use the current Amtraks Empire Corridor to head to Penn. (Since Hudson line has no direct access to Hell Gate/NEC).

Empire Corridor is all diesel and that Inwood Bridge is single track. That bridge would have to be replaced. As for the West Side itself, there is no 3rd Rail. So ether the MTA would have to work with Amtrak to install them, or send only Diesel trains (Such as the Genesis) thru the West Side.

How is it going to get into Penn? The third rail shoe on Metro North's Genesis's is made for Underrunning third rail. Amtrak has ajustable one but no escape hatch, (only reason why the MN guide the AMTK units when AMTK is ending at GCT.

How is it going to get into Penn? The third rail shoe on Metro North's Genesis's is made for Underrunning third rail. Amtrak has ajustable one but no escape hatch, (only reason why the MN guide the AMTK units when AMTK is ending at GCT.

same way NJTransit equipment does, via the cantenary wire

Well maybe a overhaul on the Genesis could fix that or purchase new locomotives, (Which i highly doubt, since they are about 10 years old)

New Haven Line trains have direct access to Hells Gate(NEC) just south of New Rochelle. Several trains can go straight to Penn after New Ro. On the Hudson Line just south of Riverdale before the bend towards Sputen Duyvil is the ROW that Amtrak currently uses. i don't see that bridge having to be replaced, most of that is single track, but not many trips would go that way. Just a few of the upper line and expresses during peak hours that already use diesels would go. I don't see this line having all day service, and Amtrak only runs a few trips up this way each day.

I don't see the point in building new stations in the Bx when most people taking these trains are interested in going all the way to Penn. If you're not going that far, that's what the subway (and buses) are for.

New Haven Line trains have direct access to Hells Gate(NEC) just south of New Rochelle. Several trains can go straight to Penn after New Ro. On the Hudson Line just south of Riverdale before the bend towards Sputen Duyvil is the ROW that Amtrak currently uses. i don't see that bridge having to be replaced, most of that is single track, but not many trips would go that way. Just a few of the upper line and expresses during peak hours that already use diesels would go. I don't see this line having all day service, and Amtrak only runs a few trips up this way each day.

I don't see the point in building new stations in the Bx when most people taking these trains are interested in going all the way to Penn. If you're not going that far, that's what the subway (and buses) are for.

I know someone like COTB16 may not like what i will say but I agree with what you said buddy. If it were up to me the only 'new' bronx station on a possible New Haven-NYP line would be COOP City. They are a far distance away from Midtown. The other stations such as Parkchester, etc. i agree does not need to be bulit.

Ditto for any proposed Hudson River-NYP Upper Manhattan stations i.e 125th Street and 62nd Street. That money instead would be better spent adding a

2nd track between the Sputen Duyvil Bridge and Penn Station.

You already have a rapid transit line connecting the Northwest Bronx and Midtown called the (1) train.

I know about the NH can run via Hell Gate Line after New Rochelle.

Im guessing they would be adding additional stations along the NEC so commuters East /Southeast in the Bronx can have access to heading North.

First of all, you have reverse-commuters. I remember Second Avenue Sagas mentioing a station in Hunts Point. Considering the type of neighborhood it is, obviously they're not expecting the residents to pay the $7.50 peak fare to reach Manhattan when they can take the Bx6 to the subway for $2.25.

However, it would provide quick access to places like New Rochelle, and the fares for that would be more reasonable (if the service were running now, it would be $2.75)

The second reason is to try and relieve at least some of the overcrowding on the subway. The Hudson Line would have a stop at 125th Street, which is becoming gentrified. It isn't out of the question for a "yuppie" to buy a monthly pass and have a nice, easy commute to Midtown Manhattan. Right now, a monthly pass is $154 from Harlem to Grand Central, so it isn't ridculously expensive compared to the subway fare.

Also, right now, Parkchester has the BxM6 express bus. Apparently, there is at least some demand for travel to Manhattan from that area.

Plus, it can help with intra-city travel as well. Somebody living in Co-Op City might work at Hunt's Point, and the commuter rail would be easier than taking the Bx23 to the <6> and then taking the Bx6 to work.

But basically, the main audience the stations are geared towards are reverse commuters from The Bronx to parts of Westchester and Connecticut. I mean, the Yankees-153rd Street station was built for that purpose, and a lot of the Bronx stations today see more riders in the reverse-peak direction compared to the peak direction. If anybody wants to get down to Grand Central, that's what the (4) is for.

I would reduce the cost for those within NYC to provide an alternative to the Subway and Bus (Monthly can from to like $120 or 130). But that may cause competition the form.

A bit off topic. does anyone have an update on the plains for the MTA to make city tickets available everyday? Heard it before but no news on that.

I would reduce the cost for those within NYC to provide an alternative to the Subway and Bus (Monthly can from to like $120 or 130). But that may cause competition the form.

A bit off topic. does anyone have an update on the plains for the MTA to make city tickets available everyday? Heard it before but no news on that.

Not sure how they going to do that without totally changing the LIRR and Metro North fare structure. Then you are going to get Long Island people (my self included) complaining why theres such a fare jump up when you leave the city. If its $3.50 for zone 1 to 3, then why is zone 4 so much more money? that would mean about a $4 jump between zones.

• 2 weeks later...
Well the (MTA) hasn't factored one point in yet. Amtrak's tunnels leading into Penn. How are the MN trains going to come in those tunnels with Amtrak Empire Corridor trains leaving Penn? Are they gonna build a separate tunnel or will Metro-North share with Amtrak?

They probably would just add another track along the current ROW.

Metro-North New Haven Line access to Penn:

Can be done anytime using the same tracks as the Amtrak NEC, but I don think the Metro-North should add 1-2 stations in the Bronx.

Metro-North Hudson Line access to Penn:

Obviously add 1-2 station in Manhattan, however I'd demolish the single tracked swing bridge at Inwood and replace it with a 2 tracked swing or lift bridge. But, I think the Metro-North would add under-running third rail in Penn or be forced to buy new locomotives.

Metro-North WOH access to Penn:

Can be done with Dual-Mode locomotives that can handle catenary power, what I described is about to be happening to the Raritan Valley Line, ALP-45DP is the trick.

I would maximize ridership for hudson line add a station at 79th street and 145th then another at 178th connecting to the GWB bus terminal. That should actually help GWB ridership a bit sort of if the trains via hell's gate time with LIRR and through tickets can be purchased

I would maximize ridership for hudson line add a station at 79th street and 145th then another at 178th connecting to the GWB bus terminal. That should actually help GWB ridership a bit sort of if the trains via hell's gate time with LIRR and through tickets can be purchased

One question? Where does the money come from for these stations? While i don't support this idea, it makes more sense and that buliding stations at Parkchester and Hunts Point along a possible new New Haven line to NYP.

One question? Where does the money come from for these stations? While i don't support this idea, it makes more sense and that buliding stations at Parkchester and Hunts Point along a possible new New Haven line to NYP.
what do you mean you mean that it makes more sense than the hunts point and parkchester stations???

my idea for hudson stations??

what do you mean you mean that it makes more sense than the hunts point and parkchester stations???

my idea for hudson stations??

First my question is where does the money come from QJ to bulid these 'extra' station on the Hudson or even the New Haven to/from New York Penn? The (MTA) the US DOT and Amtrak i don't think in their plans to bulid a station at 79th, 125th and the GW Bridge area? That why you have the subway for i.e (1) train, (A)(C) etc. IMO only one for the GW Bridge makes some sense (I am not saying I endorse it)since a bus terminal connecting buses to Bergen, Passic and Rockland Counties is right there.

Do you want a trip from Croton Harmon to take 2 hours to add a subway type system QJ? That why i am against buliding 'extra' station on a possible New Haven extenstion to NYP such as Hunt's Point and Parkchester.

First my question is where does the money come from QJ to bulid these 'extra' station on the Hudson or even the New Haven to/from New York Penn? The (MTA) the US DOT and Amtrak i don't think in their plans to bulid a station at 79th, 125th and the GW Bridge area? That why you have the subway for i.e (1) train, (A)(C) etc. IMO only one for the GW Bridge makes some sense (I am not saying I endorse it)since a bus terminal connecting buses to Bergen, Passic and Rockland Counties is right there.

Do you want a trip from Croton Harmon to take 2 hours to add a subway type system QJ? That why i am against buliding 'extra' station on a possible New Haven extenstion to NYP such as Hunt's Point and Parkchester.

2 stations will be the maximum extras no more 79th and 178th that is it the rest use subway I am really trying to render the henry hudson parkway useless.

You can also have it so no all trains serve those stations during rush hours to cut back on time

can't argue with parkchester and hunts point only new trains should serve those rather than current trains. Let it go LTD stop in westchester and on midday go to new cannan rush hrs end at stamford. The abandoned triboro line should be the one to serve those new stations. existing trains need to stay put thanks to east side LIRR.

You can also have it so no all trains serve those stations during rush hours to cut back on time

nuff said shortline now you understand.

Archived