How to solve the "last mile" problem in traffic

Lukas

I am currently working on an innovation research project at the Vienna University of Business and Economics on how to solve the so called "last mile" issue in traffic. The "last mile" issue is the fact that it's often difficult and inconvenient to get from the public transport station to your home or office without using a private car.

I'd really like to hear your opinion and ideas about the topic. What could be a good solution? Has anyone developed interesting solutions or knows someone who has? Could new developments in technology like information technology or telecommunication be used to improve the situation?

I'm looking forward to your replies.

Thanks and best wishes from Vienna!

Lukas

Hopefully soon bike share :cool:

Well I live on the far East Side of Manhattan so I usually have a 10-15 minutes walk from the train, but now that the weather's getting colder I typically take the crosstown bus home from the train. If it's pouring or too cold to wait for the bus then I'll end up spending a good $7 or so on a cab from the train.

I know it's not exactly what you mean, but here in New York the average New Yorker can walk faster than a crosstown bus, plus they don't run frequently enough to make it worth it waiting for it when the weather's nice.

I am currently working on an innovation research project at the Vienna University of Business and Economics on how to solve the so called "last mile" issue in traffic. The "last mile" issue is the fact that it's often difficult and inconvenient to get from the public transport station to your home or office without using a private car.

I'd really like to hear your opinion and ideas about the topic. What could be a good solution? Has anyone developed interesting solutions or knows someone who has? Could new developments in technology like information technology or telecommunication be used to improve the situation?

Lukas

If its more convenient for people to drive to work, let them and stop forcing them to take public transport! Stop the underhanded schemes like 'traffic calming' to screw up traffic flow in places.

I believe people should be able to choose the way to get to work that works best for them, if its easy to take the LIRR to work, then do it, if its a few exits on the parkway to work, then drive. What I do NOT support is punishing drivers with toll hikes and screwing up traffic flow in places to try to get them to take the train or bus.

If its more convenient for people to drive to work, let them and stop forcing them to take public transport! Stop the underhanded schemes like 'traffic calming' to screw up traffic flow in places.

I believe people should be able to choose the way to get to work that works best for them, if its easy to take the LIRR to work, then do it, if its a few exits on the parkway to work, then drive. What I do NOT support is punishing drivers with toll hikes and screwing up traffic flow in places to try to get them to take the train or bus.

woman stop your not helping. The guy is asking about ways to keep the flow of traffic constant or improve public transit you did not even answer his question now stop. He isn't looking for any underhanded schemes ok not so serious

Lukas

look at morgantown, WV USA and you will get a good clue on the last mile issue solution. Then imagine that in a major city or suburban area. Hint: personal touch direct to buildings. has ability to recover most of it's costs

Morgantown was an experiment. even if an experiment succedes, it doesn't automaticly make it the "correct" solution to the problem. Each problem needs it's own answer.

Besides, Morgantown has more in common with Airtrain than what your thinking of.

This is slighly more in the direction you want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ULTra

very good point but PRT can be adjusted in each case and if successful can replace money losing buses in some cases depending on geography. Sometimes it can be used to feed a major highway bus rte or intercity line. I have great respect for morgantown,WV for proving that it can work I used it. The same concept can be used to complete transit systems.

woman stop your not helping. The guy is asking about ways to keep the flow of traffic constant or improve public transit you did not even answer his question now stop. He isn't looking for any underhanded schemes ok not so serious

I answered it, people should use whatever method is easiest for them and works best. You just can't accept the fact that in some places its just more convenient to drive.

I answered it, people should use whatever method is easiest for them and works best. You just can't accept the fact that in some places its just more convenient to drive.

I know that fact that some places its easier to drive BUT that did not help this student one bit with his project. His project is LAST MILE TRANSIT GAP driving isn't it hon therefore your not helping. accept the fact that sometimes the last mile or PRT is a good supplement or way to complete a transit network in some places. It's called let's not give up and be ohh yeah the traffic will be as is for a while who cares ohh it's a parkway give up that is weak logic. If there is a problem do not ignore it as if it's not there instead of the status quo crap try being creative for once sometimes problems need creative last mile solutions. Sometimes the morgantown,wv experiment is more than such and can be used as a model in other places to complete networks and increase ridership overall completing networks rather than leaving em disconnected. besides the morgantown PRT if done right it can in most cases turn a PROFIT EVEN WITH LOW FARES!!!!!!!! I am not stupid PRT can in a long run replace costly dial-a-bus services. PRT is cheaper to operate than buses and can replace so called shuttles and even replace rural buses and feed intercity. rural isolated lines that link to nothing are doomed to run at a huge loss prt can reduce the loss a bit as it is a bit of demand response in a way. And if technologically customized properly it can kill off dial-a bus and replace costly buses while operating solely based on demand trip requests sent to the computer. Therefore it's more efficient in not so dense areas. many see it as a last mile I see it a a replacement for very costly and inefficient buses to a certain extent

Suburbs and Exurbs are spread out by design there's always going to be a distance between people's homes and the transit station.

that toy train set they have running in Morgantown isn't very far reaching, it just connects downtown to the two university campuses and the hospital.

If these places are that far out, traffic isnt going to be an issue anyway to drive to the nearest train station. When I go into the city on a weekday, it takes me about 20 minutes to drive to the station, and thats becasue I have to use one thats far from my house due to the lack of parking on weekdays on the station near me. I have hardly any traffic, even on the day I took a 5:30 peak train home when i was fanning the (Z) and got back to Nassau around 6:15 or so, still didnt have much delays going home.

This seriously is not a big issue in the grand scheme of things. The automobile IS the most convenient way for someone in the suburbs to get to the station. If youre in some really out of the way place like Wassaic or Otisville, I doubt theres huge traffic to get to the station. If its quick for me in eastern Nassau, its gunna be even quicker for them so far out of the way.

Suburbs and Exurbs are spread out by design there's always going to be a distance between people's homes and the transit station.

that toy train set they have running in Morgantown isn't very far reaching, it just connects downtown to the two university campuses and the hospital.

If these places are that far out, traffic isnt going to be an issue anyway to drive to the nearest train station. When I go into the city on a weekday, it takes me about 20 minutes to drive to the station, and thats becasue I have to use one thats far from my house due to the lack of parking on weekdays on the station near me. I have hardly any traffic, even on the day I took a 5:30 peak train home when i was fanning the (Z) and got back to Nassau around 6:15 or so, still didnt have much delays going home.

This seriously is not a big issue in the grand scheme of things. The automobile IS the most convenient way for someone in the suburbs to get to the station. If youre in some really out of the way place like Wassaic or Otisville, I doubt theres huge traffic to get to the station. If its quick for me in eastern Nassau, its gunna be even quicker for them so far out of the way.

Not even gonna lie in terms of otisville and wassaic you are very right!!!!!! I have been there YOU DON'T EVEN SEE CARS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the places where I WILL HAVE A CAR just incase due to limited transit access and the fact that those areas are DESERTED!!!!!!! I know that a PRT isn't always the answer sometimes you need a park and ride. To learn the travel patterns and plan for the future. Dutchess even with transit improvement a car will still be needed just not all the time. It's about reducing travel costs rather than killing car use which is IMPOSSIBLE in that area by design. If you want a dose of TRANSIT SHOCK come up to vermont you will be amazed and SHOCKED how transit centric they are even I was shocked. Vermont a state that looks like CAR country apparently has buses everywhere I know I checked and they continue to ADD more of em!!!! WTF in places you don't expect em you will see a bus pass by with a decent load decent full size DAMN!!!!!!! some of em are free!!!!!! I will never understand how the land with more cows than ppl can run such a coordinated regional system one flaw though rte 7 corridor!!!!!! That is the only weakness. However I will still have a car on standby just incase the schedules don't match my travel. Ohh they are shockingly frequent too.

Not even gonna lie in terms of otisville and wassaic you are very right!!!!!! I have been there YOU DON'T EVEN SEE CARS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the places where I WILL HAVE A CAR just incase due to limited transit access and the fact that those areas are DESERTED!!!!!!! I know that a PRT isn't always the answer sometimes you need a park and ride. To learn the travel patterns and plan for the future. Dutchess even with transit improvement a car will still be needed just not all the time. It's about reducing travel costs rather than killing car use which is IMPOSSIBLE in that area by design. If you want a dose of TRANSIT SHOCK come up to vermont you will be amazed and SHOCKED how transit centric they are even I was shocked. Vermont a state that looks like CAR country apparently has buses everywhere I know I checked and they continue to ADD more of em!!!! WTF in places you don't expect em you will see a bus pass by with a decent load decent full size DAMN!!!!!!! some of em are free!!!!!! I will never understand how the land with more cows than ppl can run such a coordinated regional system one flaw though rte 7 corridor!!!!!! That is the only weakness. However I will still have a car on standby just incase the schedules don't match my travel. Ohh they are shockingly frequent too.

What part of cars giving you freedom do you not understand? If I'm ever going anywhere that I know will have parking, such as the areas I usually go to in Queens when I have to, I'm taking the car. It'll only take 30-45 minutes to get there whereas it'll take me 30 minutes just to get into Queens with the subway, then another 20-30 minutes on the train in Queens followed by yet another 20-30 minute bus ride, which probably only run every 15-30 minutes. Public transportation is not the answer because cars will ALWAYS be faster, period.

What part of cars giving you freedom do you not understand? If I'm ever going anywhere that I know will have parking, such as the areas I usually go to in Queens when I have to, I'm taking the car. It'll only take 30-45 minutes to get there whereas it'll take me 30 minutes just to get into Queens with the subway, then another 20-30 minutes on the train in Queens followed by yet another 20-30 minute bus ride, which probably only run every 15-30 minutes. Public transportation is not the answer because cars will ALWAYS be faster, period.

dude lay off the crack that way of thinking is why the LIE is a parking lot cause of fools like you can it now you are just ranting not even trying to help the student If I were him I wouldn't even waste my time here cause closed minded like yourself are completely useless to the project and I'd spend my energies collaborating with creative and intelligent individuals. obviously none can be found here. If you are not a part of the solution STFU and get out the way. To OP do not waste your time these ppl can't help you as it's not within their thinking capacity it's just too difficult for them to grasp the concept. In NYC the car will never be a solution just a part of gridlock and traffic problems. The car only works in rural areas NOT urban areas to tell the truth it doesn't work in NYC all it does is clog up road space. This thread is pointless sorry OP but if you want a solution look elsewhere cause these ppl are useless to you.

PRT is cheaper than buses?

QJ have you been forgetting to take your real world pills?

PRT has infrasturcture to maintain. Buses don't. Take your beloved Morgantown. The entire guideway is built to melt any snow that falls on it.

A fixed system requires months of construction at the best.

A bus you buy, full up the gas tank and send out.

How is that more expensive?

Like I tried to say before, Morgantown is "PRT" in name only. It's a people mover, like you'd find at the airport. It's hard to say it proves PRT works when that's not what it is. That's like trying to sell the headline "Woman lands on Moon", when it's only RuPaul...

You're going off on your long rambles again. Seriosuly, what is it with you and run on sentances? You really need to understand that public transportation isn't aways the answer. you can't just say "build this big, complicated system" everytime someone comes up with a transportation problem. To start with, how are you going to get a rural community to pay for something as complicated as a rapid transit system of any kind?

People need choices in life. Sometimes they don't want to deal with the logicsts of public transit. Take Miami. They have Metrorail. They're finishing up the new stadium for the Marlins. This new stadium is a full mile from the nearest Metrorail station. there are no plans to build anything to cover that gap.

and sadly the highways around it will be stuck in gridlock pathetic isn't it

In Chicago, depending on where you live and work, you have several options: Bus, Train, Commuter Rail, Bike. Chicago has car-sharing, as well as implementing bike-sharing throughout the Chicago area. Of course, you can at least walk within the city if you needed to.

For reverse commuting outward to the suburbs, or for inter/intra suburban transportation (where commuter rail doesn't work and suburban bus is hard to make transfers to), you have ridesharing. Pace (our suburban agency) has a regional rideshare program that travels between home and work, or at least the last-mile of the commute.

In Chicago, depending on where you live and work, you have several options: Bus, Train, Commuter Rail, Bike. Chicago has car-sharing, as well as implementing bike-sharing throughout the Chicago area. Of course, you can at least walk within the city if you needed to.

For reverse commuting outward to the suburbs, or for inter/intra suburban transportation (where commuter rail doesn't work and suburban bus is hard to make transfers to), you have ridesharing. Pace (our suburban agency) has a regional rideshare program that travels between home and work, or at least the last-mile of the commute.

THANK YOU BRILLIANT POST:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup: I forgot about rideshare that can also be a last mile solution

Archived