Nostalgia Christmas Train

pjbr40

IMHO, since Christmas falls on a Sunday, they may run the train on the Sundays between 11/27 and 12/18. I also read on Subchat that it may also run on Saturdays in lieu of Sundays.

In addition to all of this, since the Steinway Tunnel on the (7) has been closed for most weekends on November, are they going to close the 53 St. tunnel during December to do track work? If so, will the Nostalgia Train run on the (F) instead of the (M)?

Also, I asked one of the crew members about the Holiday Nostalgia Train earlier this year. He said that they do not know until the day before Thanksgivng.

Patience! Patience!

IMHO, since Christmas falls on a Sunday, they may run the train on the Sundays between 11/27 and 12/18. I also read on Subchat that it may also run on Saturdays in lieu of Sundays.

In addition to all of this, since the Steinway Tunnel on the (7) has been closed for most weekends on November, are they going to close the 53 St. tunnel during December to do track work? If so, will the Nostalgia Train run on the (F) instead of the (M)?

Also, I asked one of the crew members about the Holiday Nostalgia Train earlier this year. He said that they do not know until the day before Thanksgivng.

Patience! Patience!

The train will run again this year on the same route (those of you who don't like the route, please just don't bitch about it because no one cares) and it will run for 5 weekends. Details to come at some point.

That's a terrible shame. I enjoyed those bus rides.

The expanded vintage bus program was terrible last year. The vintage buses ran on the (Q46), which I ride everyday, and I never rode one of those buses. They would only do 1 or 2 runs in the middle of the day, and they pulled them off the road whenever the weather was bad, which was basically every other day. I actually was taking the bus at 11 am or so some mornings, and never once did those vintage buses actually show up. What a shame.

The train will run again this year on the same route (those of you who don't like the route, please just don't bitch about it because no one cares) and it will run for 5 weekends. Details to come at some point.

Thats what i always liked about you Bro!

Lets see where i can "pop up"...

The Holiday Train is running this year, same route as last year except on Saturdays from the 26th to Dec. 24th.

Leave Second Ave.: 9:58 AM, 11:27 AM, 12:57 PM, 2:27 PM, 3:57 PM

Leave Queens Plaza: 10:43 AM, 12:13 PM, 1:42 PM, 3:13 PM, 4:43 PM.

The Holiday Train is running this year, same route as last year except on Saturdays from the 26th to Dec. 24th.

sweet.. I may come out for a trip or two last year was more fans then shoppers lol

At least the (MTA) finally realized that quite a few people are tied up with the NFL on Sundays and can never make a Sunday nostalgia train because of that (though the last Saturday will be opposite the NFL since the NFL on Christmas week will be playing most of its games on Saturday).

The one thing I would have done differently from this is on one Saturday (most likely 12/17), I would have had the Nostalgia train in the evening from 5:00 PM-Midnight instead of 10:00 AM-5:00 PM so those who observe the Jewish Sabbath would be able to do the nostalgia train at least once (plus, 12/17 is likely when the department stores are open all hours and have people shopping all hours).

At least the (MTA) finally realized that quite a few people are tied up with the NFL on Sundays and can never make a Sunday nostalgia train because of that (though the last Saturday will be opposite the NFL since the NFL on Christmas week will be playing most of its games on Saturday).

The one thing I would have done differently from this is on one Saturday (most likely 12/17), I would have had the Nostalgia train in the evening from 5:00 PM-Midnight instead of 10:00 AM-5:00 PM so those who observe the Jewish Sabbath would be able to do the nostalgia train at least once (plus, 12/17 is likely when the department stores are open all hours and have people shopping all hours).

You can tape/DVR the football if riding the holiday train is that important to you.

The train running on Saturday this year has nothing to do with football. It was changed to Saturday because Christmas is on a Sunday this year.

It doesn't work like that, I know for certain that no one in the museum train crew would want to run the train from 5 PM to midnight. That won't happen

[/color][/font]

It doesn't work like that, I know for certain that no one in the museum train crew would want to run the train from 5 PM to midnight. That won't happen

Exactly. The Nostalgia crew are AM guys. Furthermore, many of the ones who are not doing the actual operating of the train (excluding the car inspector) are volunteers. I'm sure quite a few of them would't volunteer to be out that late.

Exactly. The Nostalgia crew are AM guys. Furthermore, many of the ones who are not doing the actual operating of the train (excluding the car inspector) are volunteers. I'm sure quite a few of them would't volunteer to be out that late.

I dont know if people realized that Bill...

IND Man just a question for you, how many cars long will the train be this year? Thanks for sharing and answering my question.

8 cars, the train won't be expanded to 9 for a while. The Lo-V train may also become a 5 or 6 car train too.

Bill and RTOman- There is alot about the museum train that a lot of people just don't realize... Especially when it comes to events that are not run by the Transit Museum.

The expanded vintage bus program was terrible last year. The vintage buses ran on the (Q46), which I ride everyday, and I never rode one of those buses. They would only do 1 or 2 runs in the middle of the day, and they pulled them off the road whenever the weather was bad, which was basically every other day. I actually was taking the bus at 11 am or so some mornings, and never once did those vintage buses actually show up. What a shame.

The problem with the program was exactly as you said, they added too many routes and boroughs. If everything was concentrated to just the Manhattan crosstown routes, they would've been just fine. Why would anyone [regular riders, not foamers] want to chase a bus they can't find or have time to get? Crosstown lines are shorter and easier to find those buses.

That's not even close to the reason why.

Not going to happen as mentioned above...Bill got to it before me.

My guess for the Train's move to Saturday is because it's a bigger shopping day. Besides, this Nostalgia Train happens to be a Shopper's Special.

It's already been explained why it's running on Saturdays, Christmas is on a Sunday this year. Running it on Saturdays means that it runs 5 times instead of 4, making the train more visible which is the whole idea.

Archived