Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
nyctransit

LIRR - newbie!

If I want to use the LIRR from Atlantic to get to Woodside, then will it work out a little faster than the subway? I'm talking non-peak hours(most subway trains are local at this hour) around 10:30 PM from Atlantic. Or will I be better off taking the LIRR from penn station to Wood side ?

If I want to use the LIRR from Atlantic to get to Woodside, then will it work out a little faster than the subway? I'm talking non-peak hours(most subway trains are local at this hour) around 10:30 PM from Atlantic. Or will I be better off taking the LIRR from penn station to Wood side ?

your best bet is to take the (4) to Grand Central and change for the (7) or the (2) to Penn Station and change for the LIRR there.

your best bet is to take the (4) to Grand Central and change for the (7) or the (2) to Penn Station and change for the LIRR there.

Thank You! So this would definitely take lesser time than taking the 7 train from grand central or times square to woodside right?

Thank You! So this would definitely take lesser time than taking the 7 train from grand central or times square to woodside right?

LIRR from Penn Station to Woodside is 12 minutes. The subway from Grand Central to Woodside takes 17 minutes on a (7) Local & 14 minutes on a <7> Express. So you are only saving 2-5 minutes.

LIRR from Penn Station to Woodside is 12 minutes. The subway from Grand Central to Woodside takes 17 minutes on a (7) Local & 14 minutes on a <7> Express. So you are only saving 2-5 minutes.

yea but the (2) takes longer to get to Penn than the (4) does to GCT

Thank You guys.

Well the 7 local takes a lot of time to get to woodside..It feels like forever lol.

I usually never get the express since my work schedule is a little off and I leave work only by 9 or 10 pm. So the ride on the 2 takes FOREVER! and Then the 7 i again a long ride. I am at wits end by the time I get home. I thought of switching to the LIRR but looks like there is no LIRR connection to manhattan from atlantic terminal. So I would need to get to penn station by the subway and then take the LIRR. The atlantic terminal-jamaica-woodside route by LIRR would be pretty long isn't it?

I think I would be better off just using the subway on most days escept at those times when the LIRR schedule co incides with my aarival at penn station. The 7 local to woodside is a long ride. the express 7 is really fast though.