Train Operator (Road) Train Operator (Yard)

Just1

Thank you Mark1447 and Matt Train so very much for your prudent replies.

1. 1

Do Train Operators (Yard) have to wear uniforms as well as Train Operators (Road) working on a specific line?

1. 2

Are Train Operators allowed to do both or just one or the other (Road & Yard)?

1. 3

Are the Picks Separated between Yard Train Operators and Road Train Operators?

1. 4

Which is the general order of appointment; Train Operator (Yard) or Train Operator (Road) for a New Hire?

1. 5

Is there a seprate School Car for Yard Train Operators or an addition to the regular School Car for all Train Operators?

1. 6

Are Train Operators (Road) & Train Operators (Yard) set in their individual positions?

Thank you Mark1447 and Matt Train so very much for your prudent replies.

1. 1

Do Train Operators (Yard) have to wear uniforms as well as Train Operators (Road) working on a specific line?

1. 2

Are Train Operators allowed to do both or just one or the other (Road & Yard)?

1. 3

Are the Picks Separated between Yard Train Operators and Road Train Operators?

1. 4

Which is the general order of appointment; Train Operator (Yard) or Train Operator (Road) for a New Hire?

1. 5

Is there a seprate School Car for Yard Train Operators or an addition to the regular School Car for all Train Operators?

1. 6

Are Train Operators (Road) & Train Operators (Yard) set in their individual positions?

1. Uniforms are a must for Yard or Road Train Operators.

2. Train Operators, brand new or old timers, are responsible for being able to operate in Yards or the Road.

3. Seniority for all jobs

4. See 3.

5. See 2, one exception is Miscellaneous/Work Train equipment, which requires further qualification (CBTC as well, to the best of my knowledge.

6. See 3.

Yard jobs generally pay less... maybe after about 15 years you can pick a Yard job with Road (hourly) pay.

1. Uniforms are a must for Yard or Road Train Operators.

2. Train Operators, brand new or old timers, are responsible for being able to operate in Yards or the Road.

3. Seniority for all jobs

4. See 3.

5. See 2, one exception is Miscellaneous/Work Train equipment, which requires further qualification (CBTC as well, to the best of my knowledge.

6. See 3.

Yard jobs generally pay less... maybe after about 15 years you can pick a Yard job with Road (hourly) pay.

Answers:

1. Crystal Clear

2. Not so clear: Responsibility Yes. Yet when a Train Operator picks is He or She required or going to be doing both Yard and Road Operations or just one or the other?

3. Seniority Understood: Answer not so clear. Do Yard Train Operators and Road Train Operators have a seperate pick seniority wise?

4. Not so clear. A new hire is hired as a Road or Yard Train Operator first?

5. Crystal Clear

6. Senority Understood.

Thank You

FriedChikkin

CBTC has it's own school car in Canarsie Yard. Last I looked, and C/R can work the (L) but only qualified T/Os and TSS can.

Answers:

2. Not so clear: Responsibility Yes. Yet when a Train Operator picks is He or She required or going to be doing both Yard and Road Operations or just one or the other?

3. Seniority Understood: Answer not so clear. Do Yard Train Operators and Road Train Operators have a seperate pick seniority wise?

Like I just said above, there is really no difference between the two. Just a diferent pay rate, and it seemed they randomly assign new hires to either.

Same seniority list, and you get whatever you pick. You can also fal to the board for various reasons, in which case you could get either job. Again; no real difference between titles.

Like I just said above, there is really no difference between the two. Just a diferent pay rate, and it seemed they randomly assign new hires to either.

Same seniority list, and you get whatever you pick. You can also fal to the board for various reasons, in which case you could get either job. Again; no real difference between titles.

Thank you Eric B. Would you elaborate "fal to the board for various reasons?"

No real difference just the rate in pay. If you are a New Hire which you stated that is randomly pick to the title Train Operator (Yard). Does that mean you will begin in the Yard after School Car w/Yard pay until the next time one is able to pick lets say a Road trick? Then would your rate of pay change to Train Operator (Road) rate of pay?

Is the title interchangable?

Yes, the title is totally interchangeable. They don't assign anyone differently based on it. After school car, you go on the extra extra list, and get usually road jobs, but sometimes yard jobs as well. Once you can pick, it is generally road jobs first, because yard jobs are for the most part, seniority. (the opposite of the way they make "Yard" the lower pay).

If you have a road job, and a G.O. cancels it for the day (this usually happens on weekends), then you fall to the board, and can get a yard job, but again it is usually road; that's where people are the most needed.

All new hires/promotions are to T/O (Yard) which has a special rate of pay that is even lower than the yard rate. Upon completion of school car (and qualification for both road and yard jobs), one then goes to yard pay. They remain there for a certain amount of days (~240 road days where you operated in revenue service) before bringing you up to road pay. The process is similar for MNR/LIRR hires too, beyond regular new hire increments, which vary.

There are special operations...

Misc work trains (separate qualification), which is similar to railroad freight/construction work. One has to be able to select a job in this section.

CBTC (separate qualification) for the (L) and later on the (7), one has to be able to select a "trick" (job) on the (L) for them to train you for CBTC.

OPTO (separate qualification) for the weekend (G) all the regular shuttle services except summer Rock Park shuttle (8 cars with a C/R). At management's discretion, you may be selected for OPTO training and then can be assigned OPTO jobs.

I assumed one stayed in the same title, and after awhile, I stopped paying attention to which one was printed on the pass. But looking again just now, I see it says "Rev. Vehicles". I guess this is what they renamed "Road" to. Wonder if or what they changed "Yard" to.

All new hires/promotions are to T/O (Yard) which has a special rate of pay that is even lower than the yard rate. Upon completion of school car (and qualification for both road and yard jobs), one then goes to yard pay. They remain there for a certain amount of days (~240 road days where you operated in revenue service) before bringing you up to road pay. The process is similar for MNR/LIRR hires too, beyond regular new hire increments, which vary.

There are special operations...

Misc work trains (separate qualification), which is similar to railroad freight/construction work. One has to be able to select a job in this section.

CBTC (separate qualification) for the (L) and later on the (7), one has to be able to select a "trick" (job) on the (L) for them to train you for CBTC.

OPTO (separate qualification) for the weekend (G) all the regular shuttle services except summer Rock Park shuttle (8 cars with a C/R). At management's discretion, you may be selected for OPTO training and then can be assigned OPTO jobs.

Thank you, TwoTimer for clearing up a lot of questions that has been dwendelling through my mind lately. Also thank everyone who took the time, gave there attention and consideration to answering my many questions.

Any Advice for a New Hire? 20/20 Hind Sight?

Also did anyone make the transition from Surface Transportation (Bus Operator) to RTO (Train Operator)?

Answers:

1. Crystal Clear

Seniority determines all. There are no requirements for one, the other, or both. What their seniority allows them to pick is what they pick.

No. Within their division (meaning "A Division" aka IRT or "B Division" aka BMT/IND), all train operators have the same pick.

A new hire is hired as a Train Operator and trained to do both, with the exception of moves requiring special qualifications (such as miscellaneous or CBTC/ATO). If you're talking about pay scale then TwoTimer's post already answered that.

Thank you for the insight SubwayGuy.

All is understood. Thank everyone (mark1447, MattTrain, Eric B, Fried Chikkin, INDman, TwoTimer,) help me understand how this title actually works.

How can I find out these different rates of pay and their preceding increments mentioned and explained by TwoTimer?

I noticed adjacent to each of your names in small lettering I see Thanks Received:, how can I add to this to make my thanks official to each of you?

Archived