High Floor on weekends

aaron1992

That's like asking: If I study more in school will I get smarter? Of course HF buses run weekends. Most depots don't have enough LF buses to run on weekends alone. Especially on some routes where most busy, HF buses are needed to run since they have more space capacity (Doesn't usually mean the busist of bus routes would be 100% HF all the time). Maybe if the (MTA) bus fleet was 100% Low Floor then no High Floor would be available to run.

That's like asking: If I study more in school will I get smarter? Of course HF buses run weekends. Most depots don't have enough LF buses to run on weekends alone. Especially on some routes where most busy, HF buses are needed to run since they have more space capacity (Doesn't usually mean the busist of bus routes would be 100% HF all the time). Maybe if the (MTA) bus fleet was 100% Low Floor then no High Floor would be available to run.

The fleet in this city will never be %100 low floor, unless they ditch all of the express routes

Do depots make a conscious effort to run older buses only during weekday rush hours where possible? I live near the Q39 and often see 1996 RTS's and the 1995 ex-Bee Line Orion V's running on Sundays. Then again today I saw 6 different Q39's in a short space of time in both directions, all of which were 1995 and 1996 models. I guess these buses make up about 1/2 of LGA's local (non-MCI) fleet. I grew up near several Triboro routes and recall seeing very few of the older buses running on weekends. In the early 1970's, it would be rare to see non air conditioned (pre-1966) buses on weekends except perhaps in the summertime when many of the air conditioned buses were used on the Q53 which ran tonnes of buses.

Archived