Missing Bronx bus shelter irks Bedford Park residents as weather worsens

Harry

With winter fast approaching, some Bedford Park residents who rely on the Bx10 and Bx28 buses are worried they’ll be left out in the cold.

Last May, the city took down the bus shelter at Paul Ave. and W. 205th St. and relocated the bus stop to accomodate nearby construction by the MTA.

Later in the summer, the city moved the bus stop back to its original location. But the shelter isn’t slated to return until May 2012.

Read more: Missing Bronx bus shelter irks Bedford Park residents as weather worsens. New shelter not slated until May - NY Daily News

This post has been promoted to an article

post-1-133288582659_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582659_thumb.jpg

I hate it when people blame the (MTA) for stuff like this. They blame the (MTA) for not running buses and trains when the hurricanes batter the city, they blame the (MTA) when debris from collapsing buildings hits buses...

Well who else should they blame for this then?? The bus stop was moved because of (MTA) construction, so they're the reason why the shelter was moved to begin with.

On a side note, we here on Staten Island can't even have some bus stops paved with sidewalks, so folks have to either wait in the street and risk being hit by a car or wait in the weeds or dirt. As far as shelters go, we're way behind in that department. There's only a handful of shelters for the X10 on the entire route and those are probably only there because a local bus stops there. Basically it seems like there are next to no shelters that are placed for express bus riders not even at major express bus stops. :mad:

Well who else should they blame for this then?? The bus stop was moved because of (MTA) construction, so they're the reason why the shelter was moved to begin with.

On a side note, we here on Staten Island can't even have some bus stops paved with sidewalks, so folks have to either wait in the street and risk being hit by a car or wait in the weeds or dirt. As far as shelters go, we're way behind in that department. There's only a handful of shelters for the X10 on the entire route and those are probably only there because a local bus stops there. Basically it seems like there are next to no shelters that are placed for express bus riders not even at major express bus stops. :mad:

I know how you feel SI bus stops are so out of date EVEN SCT has shelters in the back of nowhere!!!!!! Eastern LI is ahead of SI in shelter department EVEN dutchess county!!!!!!! where bus service was cut the shelters are still there. seriously SI cmon man. Even upstate NY at locations in orange county many have shelters.

Oh, boo frickety hoo your express bus stop has no shelter, people throw garbage in front of the stops here and you're complaining.

To address your other complaint, you complain to the DOT, the organization hellbent on ruining traffic flow with stupid plazas and malls that no one wants, not the (MTA). The DOT is the one responsible for the bus stops, not the (MTA).

Oh, boo frickety hoo your express bus stop has no shelter, people throw garbage in front of the stops here and you're complaining.

To address your other complaint, you complain to the DOT, the organization hellbent on ruining traffic flow with stupid plazas and malls that no one wants, not the (MTA). The DOT is the one responsible for the bus stops, not the (MTA).

You are so right MTA can only do so much the DOT needs to stop trying to ruin traffic flow and upgrade the highways so express buses can be more reliable and faster this can expose where new routes are needed. Ruining traffic flow slows down buses and kills ridership. It only makes traffic worse.

The DOT is not responsible for the bus shelters. They're only responsible for the bus stops themselves as in the actual bus signs that I see them change and such from time to time. The (MTA) does deal with the bus shelters and has hired a contractor to deal with the shelters, so yeah, they have the (MTA) to blame.

The DOT is not responsible for the bus shelters. They're only responsible for the bus stops themselves as in the actual bus signs that I see them change and such from time to time. The (MTA) does deal with the bus shelters and has hired a contractor to deal with the shelters, so yeah, they have the (MTA) to blame.

dude you realize MTA can only place shelters where bus stops are located. Therefore it's the DOT's fault

Correct. CEMUSA is responsible for the bus shelters. But I do also believe the (MTA) makes the call for where shelters should be at.

They sure could have used that shelter on this shitty night. B)

Yep, I know how they must feel. None of the eastbound crosstown buses have shelters at Lexington Avenue. It was pouring out before so I went to the bus stop but ended up just taking a cab to York because there was no bus in sight and there was no way I was going to wait for it in the pouring rain. If there was a shelter I might've given it a couple of minutes.

Sorry to be a bit honest here, but what makes them special from any other area? Shelters out here on staten island are few and far between but we still manage to cope, invest in an umbrella and a nice, warm coat!

My sentiments exactly. I mean Joel Up Front says I'm complaining when some of our bus stops don't even have sidewalks, let alone shelters. I would think that passenger safety is something that is important. I wasn't complaining about the shelters. I was simply stating that we don't have many here on Staten Island to begin with and that the Bronx has far more than we probably ever will. Furthermore, I don't see how he's comparing Long Island to Staten Island, when Long Island isn't even part of NYC. B) If folks are throwing trash all over the place, well then who's fault is that? I don't see what that has to do with bus shelters or sidewalks for buses. :confused: lol

Sorry to be a bit honest here, but what makes them special from any other area? Shelters out here on staten island are few and far between but we still manage to cope, invest in an umbrella and a nice, warm coat!

Even major stops like Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue don't have stops (except the SE corner). For instance, when it's raining and I'm taking the southbound Richmond Avenue buses, I have to huddle under a deli awning with 15 other people. I called 311 and they said that it's not a suitable location for a stop (and they didn't even get back to me about the westbound S48/S98/X30 stop at the same intersection)

Even major stops like Forest Avenue/Richmond Avenue don't have stops (except the SE corner). For instance, when it's raining and I'm taking the southbound Richmond Avenue buses, I have to huddle under a deli awning with 15 other people. I called 311 and they said that it's not a suitable location for a stop (and they didn't even get back to me about the westbound S48/S98/X30 stop at the same intersection)

You just raised a valid point.... SI easily has the least bus shelters, unfortunately... esp. at major stops.....

of the outerboroughs, I'd stop to think the bronx has the most (or being a little more specific, a higher percentage of) shelters at its bus stops.... at least it sure as hell seems that way.... But I will say that more & more are being propped up little by little in Brooklyn.... Queens also still have ways to go in this department, unfortunately... there are still bus stops that don't have the destination on em (the long square ones that just list the route(s) that stop there)

---------------

Basically it seems like there are next to no shelters that are placed for express bus riders not even at major express bus stops.

....and you just pointed out the one huge disadvantage express bus riders have under local bus riders.... I didn't think anyone else noticed that; matter fact, you're the first person I've seen on any forum bring it up !

there's been many a time I stood in the rain over on battery/state (now they got scaffolding over there, but that's not the point) & battery/west....

---------------

This below isn't directed at anyone; just makin a general statement...

None of what I said above doesn't mean these Bedford park folks don't have a legitimate gripe though.... they most certainly do... and I'll leave it at that

You just raised a valid point.... SI easily has the least bus shelters, unfortunately... esp. at major stops.....

of the outerboroughs, I'd stop to think the bronx has the most (or being a little more specific, a higher percentage of) shelters at its bus stops.... at least it sure as hell seems that way.... But I will say that more & more are being propped up little by little in Brooklyn.... Queens also still have ways to go in this department, unfortunately... there are still bus stops that don't have the destination on em (the long square ones that just list the route(s) that stop there)

We actually have a lot of those old long square lime, red and white looking ones (lol, good description) in West Brighton, particularly along the X14 line by Clove and Martling.

---------------

....and you just pointed out the one huge disadvantage express bus riders have under local bus riders.... I didn't think anyone else noticed that; matter fact, you're the first person I've seen on any forum bring it up !

there's been many a time I stood in the rain over on battery/state (now they got scaffolding over there, but that's not the point) & battery/west....

Oh it's something that I noted years ago. They finally put one up at Schmidts Lane and Manor Rd for the X10 and that is a big stop in the AM rush during the week and in general and there's certainly enough space to put one there. Other than that I can't think of any that are dedicated solely for the X10 going towards Manhattan. The other stops where they have them at all have a local bus or buses that stops there, which beseeches the question, what gives? I actually may write in about it or speak about at the next meeting because it is a very valid question.

I never made that much of a stink about it because I generally am always prepared for the weather either way, but it would be nice to have them especially during the hot summer days where there is no shade and it's blistering out. In those instances I will have car service drop me at a stop where I know there is shade at so that I don't get roasted.

lol... Don't you bring an umbrella??? :eek: Maybe you don't. You maybe too frugal to buy one. B) lol

They want a bus shelter because they previously had a bus shelter at that stop. Construction took place which moved the stop temporarily and the shelter was taken down, but now that construction has been completed and the stop has been located back to where it was before, a new shelter should be put up.

They want a bus shelter because they previously had a bus shelter at that stop. Construction took place which moved the stop temporarily and the shelter was taken down, but now that construction has been completed and the stop has been located back to where it was before, a new shelter should be put up.

The shelter will be restored. It's not going to be restored right away. That's the main beef.

1) Oh it's something that I noted years ago. They finally put one up at Schmidts Lane and Manor Rd for the X10 and that is a big stop in the AM rush during the week and in general and there's certainly enough space to put one there. Other than that I can't think of any that are dedicated solely for the X10 going towards Manhattan. The other stops where they have them at all have a local bus or buses that stops there, which beseeches the question, what gives? I actually may write in about it or speak about at the next meeting because it is a very valid question.

2) lol... Don't you bring an umbrella??? :eek: Maybe you don't. You maybe too frugal to buy one. :P lol

1) You have a good point there. I mean, shelters are generally put up where you get a lot of riders, and there are some express-only stops where you see as many riders boarding as some of the local-only stops in other parts of SI (for instance, you get the same number of riders boarding the X10 at Bradley Avenue as you have boarding the S44 at Walker Street)

2) Actually, I really don't like to carry umbrellas. I'm usually carrying other things (like my backpack and/or bags if I'm coming from ShopRite) and it's just too much trouble to carry an umbrella on top of that. As you know, I'm always running for buses, and having an umbrella would slow me down (even if it's folded up).

Plus, usually it's only raining when I'm traveling in one direction (for instance when I leave in the morning it'll be sunny and it'll only be raining in the evening when I come home), so that's another reason. It feels like a waste to drag an umbrella around when I don't need it.

But like I said, the main reason is because I feel it'll slow me down when I'm running for the bus in the morning (and I'm often out for most of the day). If I get a chance to come home and drop my bags off then I might pick up an umbrella

But then again, I prefer raincoats because they leave your hands free.

Umbrellas are for suckas. I haven't carried one in five years, and as a result I'm... soaked.

Thing with these stories is, it's legitimate -- just as legitimate as every other version of this story. Only difference is they knew somebody at the paper so they got a story. Perfect world, everybody has a shelter, but not much you can do really.

In this case the (MTA) could simply move up the date to have the shelter re-installed. They plan on re-installing it, but not until next year.

1) You have a good point there. I mean, shelters are generally put up where you get a lot of riders, and there are some express-only stops where you see as many riders boarding as some of the local-only stops in other parts of SI (for instance, you get the same number of riders boarding the X10 at Bradley Avenue as you have boarding the S44 at Walker Street)

Well I think there you could have one but the problem is the narrow sidewalks. The sidewalks would have to be made bigger in order to put shelters there, plus you have residential homes along the service roads and some folks may not want them in front of their house.

2) Actually, I really don't like to carry umbrellas. I'm usually carrying other things (like my backpack and/or bags if I'm coming from ShopRite) and it's just too much trouble to carry an umbrella on top of that. As you know, I'm always running for buses, and having an umbrella would slow me down (even if it's folded up).

Plus, usually it's only raining when I'm traveling in one direction (for instance when I leave in the morning it'll be sunny and it'll only be raining in the evening when I come home), so that's another reason. It feels like a waste to drag an umbrella around when I don't need it.

But like I said, the main reason is because I feel it'll slow me down when I'm running for the bus in the morning (and I'm often out for most of the day). If I get a chance to come home and drop my bags off then I might pick up an umbrella

But then again, I prefer raincoats because they leave your hands free.

Well if you had the right backpack, you could put an umbrella in it. I got a new American made laptop bag and I have an area where I put my umbrella at. I keep thinking that I'm missing something because I am used to having to carry my umbrella in my hand, but not anymore. Sit right out of the way too. Such a cool design and 100% "Made in USA". :cool: :tup:

1) Well I think there you could have one but the problem is the narrow sidewalks. The sidewalks would have to be made bigger in order to put shelters there, plus you have residential homes along the service roads and some folks may not want them in front of their house.

2) Well if you had the right backpack, you could put an umbrella in it. I got a new American made laptop bag and I have an area where I put my umbrella at. I keep thinking that I'm missing something because I am used to having to carry my umbrella in my hand, but not anymore. Sit right out of the way too. Such a cool design and 100% "Made in USA". :cool: :tup:

1) If they were creative, maybe they could do it in a few locations. I don't carry around measuring tape with me, but I'm pretty sure the Richmond Avenue/Forest Avenue stop (at least on the Richmond Avenue routes) is wide enough for a shelter. Maybe if they extended the sidewalk for a couple of feet into the street it could be done.

2) Right backpack probably = expensive backpack. :):P

But even if I were able to carry it around, it's still a PITA to hold it when it's actually raining.

Archived