Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
East New York

Final Rule banning hand-held cell phone, texting released

Today, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced a final rule specifically prohibiting interstate truck and bus drivers from using hand-held cell phones while operating their vehicles. The joint rule from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) is the latest action by the U.S. Department of Transportation to end distracted driving.

"When drivers of large trucks, buses and hazardous materials take their eyes off the road for even a few seconds, the outcome can be deadly," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "I hope that this rule will save lives by helping commercial drivers stay laser-focused on safety at all times while behind the wheel."

The final rule prohibits commercial drivers from using a hand-held mobile telephone while operating a commercial truck or bus. Drivers who violate the restriction will face federal civil penalties of up to $2,750 for each offense and disqualification from operating a commercial motor vehicle for multiple offenses.

..............Nearly 5,474 people died and half a million were injured in crashes involving a distracted driver in 2009. Distraction-related fatalities represented 16% of overall traffic fatalities in 2009, according to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration research.

Final Rule banning hand-held cell phone, texting released - News - METRO Magazine

I have no problem with this but A stiffer penalty should be Enforced with people in their cars .I feel ANYONE operating A Motor Vehicle shouldnt use A phone and should be slapped with big fines or better their vehicle taken away.

Especially for Miss "Daddy paid for my 2011 Mustang" who feels like texting her best friend about what she had for breakfast and slams into the guy who has never sped or blown through reds/stop signs while he was waiting to make a turn...