Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

Thanksgiving/Holiday schedule

So the (MTA) always says that they're going to add additional service here and there on some express buses and commuter trains and such, but I never see anything posted. Can someone shed some light as to what sort of service is added and when and where? Ideally if that extra service means running buses or trains earlier that wouldn't exist in the normal schedule, it would be great to see something posted somewhere, particularly on the (MTA) website.

A few years ago I took my boss up on the early dismissal deal and left the office early and getting home was a mess. Traffic galore, which is to be expected, but more importantly the buses were packed since there was a huge rush of people, but there didn't appear to be any additional service to compensate for the crush load of people. Now I just leave at my normal time to avoid all of that chaos and I get home quicker and a lot less stressed out. :cool:

Guest lance25

The only thing I found was that all buses and subways will be running on a Sunday schedule for Thanksgiving and a modified weekday schedule for Black Friday. No, I don't know what that means. There will be additional subway service on or near the parade route though.

As for commuter rails, there will be extra trains added on the LIRR and Metro-North tomorrow morning. There will also be additional trains on Metro-North on Friday even though they will be running on a Saturday schedule. The LIRR will run a regular weekday schedule instead.

MTA New York City Transit Press Release

MTA Metro-North Railroad Press Release

MTA Long Island Rail Road Press Release

Hope that helps.

Question: The (MTA) article said that there would be less frequent rush hour service on certain IRT routes on Black Friday, since less people would be going to work/school that day. Does that mean no <6> or <7> trains? (Would the (J)/(Z) skip-stop services also not run, even though they're part of the B Division?) This has been my first year riding the subway on a regular basis. And I would like to get the heads up, if I somehow plan on going somewhere on Friday.:P

Question: The (MTA) article said that there would be less frequent rush hour service on certain IRT routes on Black Friday, since less people would be going to work/school that day. Does that mean no <6> or <7> trains? (Would the (J)/(Z) skip-stop services also not run, even though they're part of the B Division?) This has been my first year riding the subway on a regular basis. And I would like to get the heads up, if I somehow plan on going somewhere on Friday.:P

ALL subway service is running. That includes rush hour only variants. However, A division (numbered) routes will run with approximately 25% less service.

In my experience on Black Friday, the midday trains are crush-loaded (beyond that of a normal rush hour), while the PM rush service runs empty.

The only thing I found was that all buses and subways will be running on a Sunday schedule for Thanksgiving and a modified weekday schedule for Black Friday. No, I don't know what that means. There will be additional subway service on or near the parade route though.

As for commuter rails, there will be extra trains added on the LIRR and Metro-North tomorrow morning. There will also be additional trains on Metro-North on Friday even though they will be running on a Saturday schedule. The LIRR will run a regular weekday schedule instead.

MTA New York City Transit Press Release

MTA Metro-North Railroad Press Release

MTA Long Island Rail Road Press Release

Hope that helps.

See I'm a bit nervous because according to the express bus schedules, they run "reduced Sunday service" and I don't know what that means. I'm going out to dinner tomorrow night and I'm just concerned that I'll be waiting either a very long time or may get stranded if they don't run the buses as late as I expect them to which would be until 22:30. Then they said that they'd post something on the buses themselves. I think the best thing to do maybe to call the (MTA) tomorrow and see if I can get any info.

I wonder why (MTA) Bus Company is only bus that operates on reduced weekday schedule this Friday?

How local buses like LGA Depot, JFK Depot, Far Rockaway Depot, Spring Creek's B100/B103 bus run?

I also wonder what time express buses from LGA, Far Rockaway/JFK or Spring Creek, College Point finish?

they run "reduced Sunday service" and I don't know what that means.

What I've come to find out, it means they run service @ whatever rate they want, that's based off (worse than) current sunday service.... It's been like that for the longest....

What does this mean for you, the passenger? There is no set headway.... there's nothin to set a schedule to.....

i.e. you have bus 1 (w/e route it is).... then bus 2 may be 30 mins behind bus 1..... bus 3 may end up 45 mins behind bus 2... bus 4 may end up 30 mins behind bus 3.... bus 5 may be 1 hr. behind bus 4.....

If i absolutely have to go out on a holiday, my rule of thumb is, if I see absolutely nothin in sight, start walkin in the opposite direction of the bus you're waiting for (for this, you have to know where the preceeding stop of your route is... which I've gotten quite good at, regardless of route).... wait a couple mins. at that stop.... If you still see nothin, continue walking in that same direction (how far back you walk will depend on your patience & tolerance level).... wait a couple more mins.... If you still feel a sense of hopelessness & see nothing, start thinkin about makin your way to the nearest subway station that's served by the most lines.... increase your options.....

....for you being a SI'er, you'd have to omit that last one, and replace it with, w/e line heads to the ferry.... or if you're too proud (or whatever) for the ferry, take a cab back to SI; if you can find one that won't look to stick it to ya, on that holiday......

The (MTA)'s press release:

MTA Bus, Long Island Bus, Staten Island Railway, and New York City Transit buses and subways will operate on a Sunday schedule on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24. The following day, Friday, November 25, service will operate on a weekday schedule with some exceptions.

There is no Limited Stop service in Staten Island on the S81, S86, S90, S91, S92, S94, S96 and S98 or in Queens on the Q6, Q25 and Q65. All other subways, local, limited, SBS and express buses will operate on a weekday schedule. There will be less service, especially during rush hours, on selected IRT subway lines and most bus routes due to expected lower ridership levels as fewer people are going to work or school.

So basically it's just what Amtrak7 and MichalkaManiac said above.

I wonder how M34/M34A SBS will collect fare on detour today.

Jut screw it and make it free? :P

What I've come to find out, it means they run service @ whatever rate they want, that's based off (worse than) current sunday service.... It's been like that for the longest....

What does this mean for you, the passenger? There is no set headway.... there's nothin to set a schedule to.....

i.e. you have bus 1 (w/e route it is).... then bus 2 may be 30 mins behind bus 1..... bus 3 may end up 45 mins behind bus 2... bus 4 may end up 30 mins behind bus 3.... bus 5 may be 1 hr. behind bus 4.....

If i absolutely have to go out on a holiday, my rule of thumb is, if I see absolutely nothin in sight, start walkin in the opposite direction of the bus you're waiting for (for this, you have to know where the preceeding stop of your route is... which I've gotten quite good at, regardless of route).... wait a couple mins. at that stop.... If you still see nothin, continue walking in that same direction (how far back you walk will depend on your patience & tolerance level).... wait a couple more mins.... If you still feel a sense of hopelessness & see nothing, start thinkin about makin your way to the nearest subway station that's served by the most lines.... increase your options.....

....for you being a SI'er, you'd have to omit that last one, and replace it with, w/e line heads to the ferry.... or if you're too proud (or whatever) for the ferry, take a cab back to SI; if you can find one that won't look to stick it to ya, on that holiday......

Well this is the first time I'm eating out for Thanksgiving in years. Usually eat with family or friends, but I want to erase the terrible dinner I had out years ago when I was living back in Brooklyn. I took my mom out to dinner since she wanted to do something different and didn't feel like cooking. She wanted to try Juniors so we went to one of their places. The food was terrible and I felt horrible for subjecting her to that. She was cool though. I forgot what I did to make it up, but I have never set food in another Juniors. Every time I see that Juniors in Grand Central I cringe. :eek: :mad: :tdown:

Anywho, back on topic before a certain someone starts cracking the whip... lol

I called my regular car service and they're running today, so in the worst case scenario, I'll take them to the express bus and maybe I'll have them leave me by Hylan Blvd where I have access to the X1 and X10 since the Italian place is there in Chelsea. Coming back I know I can get one of those yellow cabs if need be or if I want to bargain, those black cabs will stop for me. Yesterday, it looked like a Jewish guy in one of those black cabs was stopping to see if I wanted a ride as I was waiting for the bus coming back from Whole Foods. lol

No tie, but I'll be well dressed... Nice French cuff shirt and such, so I'm sure they'll stop without me even having to put my hand out. Gotta hail them though usually if I have jeans on. lol

"Black Friday' Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and if they are on a weekday, Christmas and New Year's Eve is a perfect examples of why IMO the (MTA) on all (NYCT) and (MTA) buses citywide needs to create a spefic and clear "Weekday Holiday Schedule especially for the Manhattan 'express' routes." Some people do work on those semi-holidays and if (NJT) can have it why not NYC buses? It needs to be more frequent service than a Saturday but slightly less than when NYC public schools are open.

For example for the Brooklyn BM1-5 buses, on those Weekday Holiday schedules leaving Manhattan the 'super express' would start at 2pm instead of around 330pm. Ditto for the Brooklyn X37 and X38 as well.

Or for the subways for instance, ending the (M) and (:P on those days at around 9pm instead of 11pm. While the pm rush hour service runs from say 2pm-6pm instead of 4-8pm. Again the LIRR, Metro North and (NJT) have a reduced weekday schedule why not the NYC buses and subways?

To me it would make it clear for everyone involved what a reduced 'weekday schedule' is and most important it would be in writing.

"Black Friday' Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and if they are on a weekday, Christmas and New Year's Eve is a perfect examples of why IMO the (MTA) on all (NYCT) and (MTA) buses citywide needs to create a spefic and clear "Weekday Holiday Schedule especially for the Manhattan 'express' routes." Some people do work on those semi-holidays and if (NJT) can have it why not NYC buses? It needs to be more frequent service than a Saturday but slightly less than when NYC public schools are open.

For example for the Brooklyn BM1-5 buses, on those Weekday Holiday schedules leaving Manhattan the 'super express' would start at 2pm instead of around 330pm. Ditto for the Brooklyn X37 and X38 as well.

Or for the subways for instance, ending the (M) and (:P on those days at around 9pm instead of 11pm. While the pm rush hour service runs from say 2pm-6pm instead of 4-8pm. Again the LIRR, Metro North and (NJT) have a reduced weekday schedule why not the NYC buses and subways?

To me it would make it clear for everyone involved what a reduced 'weekday schedule' is and most important it would be in writing.

Now if only you worked on the MTA sense can finally take root keep preaching now do us a favor and send that to the MTA

Now if only you worked on the MTA sense can finally take root keep preaching now do us a favor and send that to the MTA

Actually i already do:). However for the (MTA) to take more serious ideas from it's riders, i learned it best to limit the letters to maybe 3-4x a year to the MTA Boss's offices. (not counting sending e-mail's to the (MTA) website on issues such as when the A/C or heat not working on a subway, etc.)

If you write all the time i.e every month, they will after a while 'tune you' out.

Actually i already do:). However for the (MTA) to take more serious ideas from it's riders, i learned it best to limit the letters to maybe 3-4x a year to the MTA Boss's offices. (not counting sending e-mail's to the (MTA) website on issues such as when the A/C or heat not working on a subway, etc.)

If you write all the time i.e every month, they will after a while 'tune you' out.

Do you also send suggestions to Bee Line as well?

Do you also send suggestions to Bee Line as well?

Yes. By the way if you want Greatone2k PM me and I will send you the address for Lawerence Salley the head of Westchester Bee Line bus as well.:P

Not to go off topic but how not does Bee Line not run on Thanksgiving and Christmas? Even for say 10 hours on those days with hourly service from 8am-8pm on routes 1,2,4,5,7,13(Tarrytown-Port Chester only)20,25,40(extended to 241 St.)and 60 for instance. This is not 1970 anymore.:eek:

Yes. By the way if you want Greatone2k PM me and I will send you the address for Lawerence Salley the head of Westchester Bee Line bus as well.:P

Not to go off topic but how not does Bee Line not run on Thanksgiving and Christmas? Even for say 10 hours on those days with hourly service from 8am-8pm on routes 1,2,4,5,7,13(Tarrytown-Port Chester only)20,25,40(extended to 241 St.)and 60 for instance. This is not 1970 anymore.:eek:

I also suggest Richard Stiller (dadbo46 from Straphanger's Campaign).

I also think MTA Bus Company's reduced weekday schedule should be posted at MTA's website.

Since NJT Bus put special holiday schedule, why can MTA Bus Co cannot do it?

Yes. By the way if you want Greatone2k PM me and I will send you the address for Lawerence Salley the head of Westchester Bee Line bus as well.:)

I sent an email about the former BL 9 route schedule, and within time, the route was made into an hourly loop.