How Many Conductors Does MTA Employ?

Donald

I was just wondering, counting flaggers, how many conductors does the MTA employ? The data I found from the See Through NY website for 2010 shows 3,021 conductors. Is this accurate? I always thought there were a lot fewer conductors.

Thanks!

While not an exact figure, that's ballpark. The number is actually slightly higher because TA finished 2010 with a conductor shortage since they didn't hire any for 6 months in the middle of the year.

On a given weekday, there are something like approximately 8,000 one way trips in the subway. Throw out a few which don't have conductors (shuttles, G on off peak hours, etc.) then figure each conductor does a few trips, that service is 24 hours but shifts are 8-10 hours, and that conductors are off 2/7 days...and it makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

They have been pushing to eliminate this title for awhile....it is in the new contract proposal.....they want automated trains with the Train Operator...and that's it....sooner or later this will happen....it will be some bargaining chip for something else or some elected union official will give away to gain a position....

They have been pushing to eliminate this title for awhile....it is in the new contract proposal.....they want automated trains with the Train Operator...and that's it....sooner or later this will happen....it will be some bargaining chip for something else or some elected union official will give away to gain a position....

OPTO will never work in NYC . You cannot run opto on a 10 car train . The safety issues alone from this would make this an impossibility . If you run shorter trains you would have to run the trains more frequently which wouldn't save any money at all for the mta .

Try running opto in rush hours good luck with that .

It seems like anything fully automated doesn't work well here. Look how disastrous the (L) line is when the CBTC gets weird. Without the C/R who will look to see whats going on outside the train? The T/O doesn't look out the side window much, and how far back can they really see, especially in a curved station? I forsee too many avoidable incidents happening this way.

Conductor is a Civil Service title you cant "bargin" that away.

They cant even afford to get New Trains(gotta get money from the gov) or run service(Lines eliminated), how will they be able to have system wide OPTO?

OPTO works Best with straight stations(for sight purposes) do you think every station in the system is straight?

Oh and BTW for those that will say "oh it work in other places" Those systems was made to be that way NOT this system...

It seems like anything fully automated doesn't work well here. Look how disastrous the (L) line is when the CBTC gets weird. Without the C/R who will look to see whats going on outside the train? The T/O doesn't look out the side window much, and how far back can they really see, especially in a curved station? I forsee too many avoidable incidents happening this way.

One word Accountability This is why the system most likey will stay the way it is..

You want them to be held accountable(mgmnt) or Crews?

Easy to pin something or a person than a system or those who Ok'd it..

OPTO can't work because our trains are too long. The DC Metro has OPTO, but their trains are 450 feet long and all the statiosn are straight, and they have a fraction of the ridership. Ours are 600 feet long, ridership is huge, and there are stations with very sharp curves (ie: 14th St. on the Lexington Ave. line).

I just got back from Boston, and their system, the oldest in the country, does have condcutors. I was even shocked to see a 2 person crew on the Green Line, which is nothing more than a light rail. Its not a real subway:

MBTA_Green_Line_B.jpg

Archived