The two cloudy days before Thanksgiving

Gong Gahou

I didn't think I'd try High Dynamic again. But on these two cloudy days, I saw this as my opportunity to test it out once more. :P

Almost all of them are shot in High Dynamic mode, while some of them I shot in normal PASM modes.

November 22

444fv.jpg

6398103537_b7be0f344d_b.jpg

455nw.jpg

479wf.jpg

489z.jpg

490f.jpg

497sm.jpg

This (2) train is different from the shot above. It was running express for some unknown reason, while the one in the pic above ran normal service. It was the next train to come to Jackson Avenue, after that local (2) train.

498y.jpg

499f.jpg

501kj.jpg

November 23

6394885157_74a38e0d93_b.jpg

6394889241_21a33c185f_b.jpg

019yue.jpg

032dno.jpg

6398258695_532f104c0d_b.jpg

042ovx.jpg

044gw.jpg

As a bonus, I took these four pictures during the time I celebrated Thanksgiving with my family (along with other families that I don't know so well).

010ev.jpg

015orl.jpg

The first two aren't transit pictures, but as someone on BVEStation said, photography doesn't have to be all about the NYCT~ :)

016qj.jpg

017hp.jpg

I also took a few bus shots, which I posted in the Bus Photos & Videos section.

Hope you guys enjoyed it just as much as I did! :D

First one at GH is hot!

Hmm, interesting. I like it too, but I didn't think the first shot would be as appealing as the rest. I guess I was wrong. Maybe I'll take more of those shots in the future. :)

I have a question for you.

How do you get such sharp photos with trains being in motion? mine always come out blurry:mad: Thanks.

It's not just you though. A lot of my pictures also came out blurry. That's the disadvantage of using pocket cameras.

For cloudy days, what I would do is lower the exposure bias a bit (maybe down to -0.7 or -1, depending on the scenery), increase the ISO to somewhere between 125 to 800 (400 being the one I use most often), and...pray that I get a good shot. :( There are also other settings that I fiddled around with such as AF, metering mode, exposure time, and the f-stop, but I haven't really learned about them enough to see whether it'll help me or not. Also, keep in mind that, since I use High Dynamic in most of the pictures here, these pictures have different settings than normal. For instance, with High Dynamic I set the exposure bias to -2.

Yes, I get mad that my camera isn't at the level of a SLR/DSLR, and I do get mad at the things that the ZS7 can't do right, but I've looked past that and decided instead to fiddle around with my camera more to bring it out to its full potential. After all, I will be sticking with it for years until I can get a better camera.

It's not just you though. A lot of my pictures also came out blurry. That's the disadvantage of using pocket cameras.

For cloudy days, what I would do is lower the exposure bias a bit (maybe down to -0.7 or -1, depending on the scenery), increase the ISO to somewhere between 125 to 800 (400 being the one I use most often), and...pray that I get a good shot. :( There are also other settings that I fiddled around with such as AF, metering mode, exposure time, and the f-stop, but I haven't really learned about them enough to see whether it'll help me or not. Also, keep in mind that, since I use High Dynamic in most of the pictures here, these pictures have different settings than normal. For instance, with High Dynamic I set the exposure bias to -2.

Yes, I get mad that my camera isn't at the level of a SLR/DSLR, and I do get mad at the things that the ZS7 can't do right, but I've looked past that and decided instead to fiddle around with my camera more to bring it out to its full potential. After all, I will be sticking with it for years until I can get a better camera.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. As a matter of fact I am too playing with my obsolete 1100SD, the result is that stills come out "ok", but anything dynamic is pretty much ruined. It takes a whole second to focus and take a shot, while being underground. As for high dynamic mode, the camera simply doesn't have it, either in manual or auto modes. DSLRs might be great, but they are simply too inconvenient for me(i take my cam with me all the time). Fortunately its a holiday time, so I migh treat myself with a better camera this year:p

Archived